Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AL.com-SEC Expansion: Why the Big 12 is the key to SEC adding more schools

Started by jbcarol, June 27, 2017, 08:31:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/879673038668800000

When Texas A&M and Missouri joined the Southeastern Conference five years ago this weekend, it felt like a death blow to the Big 12

Instability would surely doom the conference after four schools left the conference in a two-year span and Texas and Oklahoma continued to flirt with conference affiliation elsewhere

QuoteBig 12 has missed the College Football Playoff in two of its first three years and recently lost its most established football coach (Bob Stoops). As the smallest of the big conferences, it'll always be most susceptible to dissolution without even factoring in all the internal issues.

The drama surrounding Texas' Longhorn Network deal irreparably damaged relationships within the league. It's one reason the Big 12 is soon to be the only Power 5 conference without its own TV network assuming the ACC's launches as expected in 2019. Don't think that's a big deal? Look at the money the Big Ten and SEC are distributing to each school and remember it's only going to keep going up for the foreseeable future.

R. Bowen Loftin, who as then A&M president guided the Aggies to the SEC and who witnessed the Big 12's instability up close for years, doesn't have an optimistic outlook on the conference's viability.

"The Big 12's long-term trajectory is not clear to me especially if Texas decides at some point it wants to be on its own," he says. "They have to figure out how they survive with the number of schools they've got, the geography they've got as new contracts come along. If you see the pressure on ESPN right now, what must it be like on FOX? How will they make that work contractually in terms of a new contract? I see some clouds on their horizon."

Big 12's television rights deals with ESPN and FOX run through 2024-25.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

MuskogeeHogFan

It's summer and of course this is going to come up. AL.com makes a strong case for why the Big 12 is the key to SEC expansion as opposed to other conferences and who the obvious candidates are as well as the next most likely candidates.

No matter how hard commissioner Bob Bowlsby tries, the Big 12 remains the weakest link of the Power 5 conferences. ESPN commentator Paul Finebaum recently declared the conference in "big trouble," and it's not hard to see why.

The Big 12 has missed the College Football Playoff in two of its first three years and recently lost its most established football coach (Bob Stoops). As the smallest of the big conferences, it'll always be most susceptible to dissolution without even factoring in all the internal issues.

The drama surrounding Texas' Longhorn Network deal irreparably damaged relationships within the league. It's one reason the Big 12 is soon to be the only Power 5 conference without its own TV network assuming the ACC's launches as expected in 2019. Don't think that's a big deal? Look at the money the Big Ten and SEC are distributing to each school and remember it's only going to keep going up for the foreseeable future.

Consider this: The SEC generated $107 million more last year from TV and radio rights deals alone ($420 million) than the Big 12 did in total revenue ($313 million).

The Big 12's television rights deals with ESPN and FOX run through 2024-25. The league heavily flirted with expanding in 2016, mainly to capitalize on a clause that would have resulted in significant extra revenue, but ultimately decided to stand pat at 10 members after ESPN and FOX were very against the idea. The one thing holding the Big 12 together, its grant of rights deal, is scheduled to expire in 2025. Interestingly, Big 12 schools had a chance last fall to extend the grant of rights and chose not to.

Why does this matter? If there's going to be another big round of realignment, the smart bet is that it'll come at the Big 12's expense. The Big 12 has suffered multiple defections but still possesses valuable programs that other conferences would be interested in adding. The Pac-12 already tried raiding the Big 12 once and could badly use a brand like Texas or Oklahoma to boost its fledgling Pac-12 Networks. Oklahoma State, Kansas and TCU, among others, could also be attractive to other conferences if the Big 12 implodes.

The most attractive -- and lucrative -- options for expansion reside in the ACC, but while that conference could find itself lagging behind in the revenue race, the ACC's grant of rights runs through 2035-36. If that didn't exist, North Carolina would be of extreme interest to the SEC should it ever indicate a willingness to leave the ACC. Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke and North Carolina State would also be intriguing to the SEC as it looked to expand its footprint. Still, it's difficult to imagine anyone willing to sacrifice nearly 20 years of home TV rights revenue if it couldn't legally get out of the grant of rights.

More inside:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/sec_expansion_how_the_big_12_c.html
Go Hogs Go!

Piggfoot

Texas is a big state with A&M takin a large share of the Houston and San Antonio Market. It would be logical to take TCU and OU both living off of the Dallas market but still they would make a good choice. TCU would need to up its program.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on June 30, 2017, 01:54:33 pm
Texas is a big state with A&M takin a large share of the Houston and San Antonio Market. It would be logical to take TCU and OU both living off of the Dallas market but still they would make a good choice. TCU would need to up its program.

They don't need to add two just to get the DFW market. One draw from there is plenty. Then add elsewhere. I'd do OU and then someone else not in Texas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

woodhog14

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 30, 2017, 01:57:24 pm
They don't need to add two just to get the DFW market. One draw from there is plenty. Then add elsewhere. I'd do OU and then someone else not in Texas.

I still say if the SEC goes after 2 Big 12 teams, it will be Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. I'm not backing away from that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 30, 2017, 02:33:51 pm
Not like a Texas team does.

Of course not so will adding a TCU help or hurt Arkansas?  My opinion is that adding aTm hurt and it's taking a mighty effort to keep our feet in that state.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 02:39:30 pm
I still say if the SEC goes after 2 Big 12 teams, it will be Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. I'm not backing away from that.

I'd be ok with bringing both in and sending Bama and the high plains cheaters to the east.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 30, 2017, 01:57:24 pm

That's true. But AL.com is overlooking the power of politics and how the moves a couple of major players in the Big 12 could have a devastating effect on 8 other members. Oklahoma moving isn't going to hurt Texas because they will find another home if they want one and I suspect that the LHN won't be a factor for anyone else because as soon as ESPN can negotiate their way out of that agreement early, I think they will.

But what about schools like Texas Tech, K-State or W. Virginia? It isn't like their academics are all that high and some conferences might look at that as a negative. Who really wants Texas Tech or K-State? The ACC could have added W. Virginia prior to their joining the Big 12 if they really wanted to, but obviously they didn't. Not sure why they would want them now?

Kansas will likely find a home just because of the strength of their basketball program. Their football program isn't going to set the world on fire with any conference. Iowa State has pretty good basketball, wrestling and occasionally football plus they are an AAU school so they might be a good fit with the Big Ten.

Then there is Baylor and Oklahoma State. Both are pretty good in football and decent in basketball. Baylor has good academics but a bad reputation in athletics right now. No one is probably real excited about getting Oklahoma State (though they are a better bargain than Tx Tech, K-State or W. Va) so Oklahoma may be forced by Oklahoma lawmakers to drag them along wherever they might go...possible package deal.

So in considering all of this and all of the damage that can be done to others by domino effect of one key power leaving, they may try to keep the conference together. But if that is the case, why are they delaying a conference expansion? No one that they add is going to bring a great deal to the conference so if you just need to get back to 12, why not Houston and Colorado State? If they want to add t.v. markets why not Cincinnati and USF? It's a mystery.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 30, 2017, 02:46:33 pm
I'd be ok with bringing both in and sending Bama and the high plains cheaters to the east.

In that situation Auburn would go to the East too and Missouri would move to the West.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 02:56:29 pm
In that situation Auburn would go to the East too and Missouri would move to the West.

I think that is what he was referring to when he called them "the high plains cheaters", Guv.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 02:58:42 pm
I think that is what he was referring to when he called them "the high plains cheaters", Guv.

Yeah, I miss read his post. My bad.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Nice to stick to your guns..............no matter how bad they misfire.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 30, 2017, 02:43:30 pm
Of course not so will adding a TCU help or hurt Arkansas?  My opinion is that adding aTm hurt and it's taking a mighty effort to keep our feet in that state.

You realize in the past we played ALL of our road conference games down there against a whole sate full of them. TAMU had an advantage then recruiting down there and still does. MAYBE we just simply aren't making as strong an effort as we used to down there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 02:51:39 pm

Then there is Baylor and Oklahoma State. Both are pretty good in football and decent in basketball.

That hasn't always been the case and things can change in a flash at any school with good or bad.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 02:51:39 pm
That's true. But AL.com is overlooking the power of politics and how the moves a couple of major players in the Big 12 could have a devastating effect on 8 other members. Oklahoma moving isn't going to hurt Texas because they will find another home if they want one and I suspect that the LHN won't be a factor for anyone else because as soon as ESPN can negotiate their way out of that agreement early, I think they will.

But what about schools like Texas Tech, K-State or W. Virginia? It isn't like their academics are all that high and some conferences might look at that as a negative. Who really wants Texas Tech or K-State? The ACC could have added W. Virginia prior to their joining the Big 12 if they really wanted to, but obviously they didn't. Not sure why they would want them now?

Kansas will likely find a home just because of the strength of their basketball program. Their football program isn't going to set the world on fire with any conference. Iowa State has pretty good basketball, wrestling and occasionally football plus they are an AAU school so they might be a good fit with the Big Ten.

Then there is Baylor and Oklahoma State. Both are pretty good in football and decent in basketball. Baylor has good academics but a bad reputation in athletics right now. No one is probably real excited about getting Oklahoma State (though they are a better bargain than Tx Tech, K-State or W. Va) so Oklahoma may be forced by Oklahoma lawmakers to drag them along wherever they might go...possible package deal.

So in considering all of this and all of the damage that can be done to others by domino effect of one key power leaving, they may try to keep the conference together. But if that is the case, why are they delaying a conference expansion? No one that they add is going to bring a great deal to the conference so if you just need to get back to 12, why not Houston and Colorado State? If they want to add t.v. markets why not Cincinnati and USF? It's a mystery.

I wouldn't be surprised when they thought about expansion earlier this year they were told by their media partners " no problem but the pie will not get any bigger thus the current pie will be split 12 ways instead of 10." That would be enough to cancel any thought of expansion.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 30, 2017, 04:06:54 pm
I wouldn't be surprised when they thought about expansion earlier this year they were told by their media partners " no problem but the pie will not get any bigger thus the current pie will be split 12 ways instead of 10." That would be enough to cancel any thought of expansion.

Apparently that wasn't the case according to this:

The Big 12's television rights deals with ESPN and FOX run through 2024-25. The league heavily flirted with expanding in 2016, mainly to capitalize on a clause that would have resulted in significant extra revenue, but ultimately decided to stand pat at 10 members after ESPN and FOX were very against the idea. The one thing holding the Big 12 together, its grant of rights deal, is scheduled to expire in 2025. Interestingly, Big 12 schools had a chance last fall to extend the grant of rights and chose not to.

They had a chance to increase revenues with expansion of the conference, but chose not to expand. That makes for an interesting turn of events and discussion as to why that was their choice?
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 04:15:18 pm

Apparently they had a chance to increase revenues with expansion, but chose not to expand by their own choice. That makes for an interesting turn of events.

It also says ESPN and Fox were against it. Doesn't say why. But good reply with a quote. Thanks.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 30, 2017, 04:17:40 pm
It also says ESPN and Fox were against it. Doesn't say why. But good reply with a quote. Thanks.

Also key is the fact that they chose not to extend the GOR's for the Big 12.
Go Hogs Go!

DaRazorback

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 30, 2017, 02:46:33 pm

Hell I'd be okay with adding both, moving Mizzou to the West and kicking both Auburn and Bama to the East.

East TN HAWG

They had a chance to increase revenues with expansion of the conference, but chose not to expand. That makes for an interesting turn of events and discussion as to why that was their choice?

Muskogee your right, but could not bring in a program that would increase their revenue per team.  The ones they could bring in would dilute the payout, so they said no. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: East TN HAWG on June 30, 2017, 05:28:19 pm
Muskogee your right, but could not bring in a program that would increase their revenue per team.  The ones they could bring in would dilute the payout, so they said no. 

They would be better off now and more stable as a conference had they taken in new members even if it had resulted in less revenue share per school at the time. But as the article reads, that wasn't going to be the case. The networks were against it because they knew they were bound to pay more and didn't think it might generate enough viewership, but it sounds like the Big 12 could have done it anyway if they chose, but they instead decided to maintain a better relationship with the networks by not putting them in that position.

Of course now, they remain in a weaker position for the future. Do the stronger schools have a plan in place that they haven't shared with the weaker members? Maybe since no one pushed an extension of the GOR's?
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DaRazorback on June 30, 2017, 05:14:24 pm
Hell I'd be okay with adding both, moving Mizzou to the West and kicking both Auburn and Bama to the East.

I would be willing to guess that if the SEC ever adds Oklahoma, that they will be adding Oklahoma State as well unless of course the Oklahoma politicians are absolutely guaranteed that 1) Okla State is going to another P-5 conference and not left out in the cold and 2) that they can maintain the annual "Bedlam" game between OU and OSU even if it winds up being an annually scheduled OOC game. Now keep in mind that the OU-Texas game is also not going to be allowed to go away as either a conference or OOC game, so if both wind up being OOC games, the scheduling gets pretty difficult should Oklahoma move to the SEC.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

I would love for OU to be in the SEC. They have never had a tough conference schedule.

Tusks

I'd like OU and Kansas.  Kansas gives the west an easy football opponent and really ups the basketball in the conference.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 30, 2017, 02:43:30 pm

More teams entering from Texas only hurts Arkansas more.  Less kids leaving Texas for the other sec programs if there is more Texas schools in the sec. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Tusks

If OU joined I'd think it would help the Hogs in Texas.  Texas would probably go independent and that would leave the state wide open for recruiting.  After Texas got their 25 and A/M their 25 then if a player wants a chance to play in playoff then the closest places to play would be OU and AR.

With both AR/OU in the same conference that opens up a ton of players.  It would also take TCU off the board as a possible playoff team.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Nashville Fan

Be funny if FL ST and Clemson were added to the East and then AU was moved to the East. Never happen but it would be real funny.
Pittman or Bust!

goodguytex

Why limit the SEC to just 16 teams? Go 18, add OU, Okie State, TCU, and West Virginia, go to a 14 games a year schedule. Move Mizzou to the west to join Arkansas, TCU, Ole Miss, LSU, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, OU and Oklahoma State, then have the east be Florida, West Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky, south Carolina, Vanderbilt, Alabama, auburn. Tennessee.

NuttinItUp

I thought that in the past, but the negatives about Oklahoma laid out in the article are logical. It really only pays to add OU. (if barely because of the low population, low cable subscribers, etc. they mention) It really isn't a benefit if State is required to be taken as well. Also, the strategy moving forward is no state overlap. (on any expansion)

NuttinItUp

Quote from: goodguytex on July 01, 2017, 07:59:19 am
Why limit the SEC to just 16 teams? Go 18, add OU, Okie State, TCU, and West Virginia, go to a 14 games a year schedule. Move Mizzou to the west to join Arkansas, TCU, Ole Miss, LSU, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, OU and Oklahoma State, then have the east be Florida, West Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky, south Carolina, Vanderbilt, Alabama, auburn. Tennessee.

The more teams you add, the more the pie gets split. The strategy is only to add teams that bring more value than they take. The OU/State and TCU ones that you mention create too much overlap of markets.

West Virginia would be an interesting choice. I haven't heard many mention them as a target. I assume they would have a low population but they might be better to add with OU than State if it ever came to that.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: tusked on June 30, 2017, 10:12:10 pm
I'd like OU and Kansas.  Kansas gives the west an easy football opponent and really ups the basketball in the conference.
I like this idea.   To date, expansion has been all about football.  OK St nor TCU would make a difference in SEC football inventory.  KS would make a huge difference in SEC basketball inventory. 

GuvHog

Quote from: DaRazorback on June 30, 2017, 05:14:24 pm

That move would balance the conference as a whole. Currently the SEC West is far stronger in football. Adding both Alabama and Auburn to the east would strengthen that division and the West would still remain strong by adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma State along with Missouri.

GuvHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on July 01, 2017, 08:45:09 am
I thought that in the past, but the negatives about Oklahoma laid out in the article are logical. It really only pays to add OU. (if barely because of the low population, low cable subscribers, etc. they mention) It really isn't a benefit if State is required to be taken as well. Also, the strategy moving forward is no state overlap. (on any expansion)

That would be true if Oklahoma had only a local viewing audience but they have more than that. They are a team that's known nationwide and would bring a lot of viewership with them as well as Oklahoma State viewers and fans so it really would be a benefit to the SEC.

Murr

Why would Fox or ESPN want to forced to pay an additional $20M per team that didn't enhance their programming packages?  They did that once with TCU and WVU, if the B12 asks the Networks to bend again, they probably will break

Murr

Quote from: goodguytex on July 01, 2017, 07:59:19 am

Limit of the conference is only held back by it's profitability.

The next round or realignment will be based on maximizing the quality of content. 

The last round was about adding markets for conference networks: Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland, SEC added A&M and Mizzou, ACC added Syracuse and Pitt, PAC added Colorado and Utah.

Where is the content coming from?  The content multipliers in football is where the money is at.  Basketball adds very little which is why Kansas announced this week they are investing $300M in football stadium renovations and practice facilities--to ensure they have a seat that the power conference table.  The B1G was their only possible option before, maybe the SEC or PAC would re-evaluate Kansas higher today.

I think Finebaum is greasing the public perception tracks for both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to be the next members in the SEC.  That effectively kills the Big 12 and keeps OU from joining the Big Ten who would then be sitting next to that huge recruiting state of Texas. 

The next move would be up to Texas and the networks: rebuild the B12 or let Texas go independent.  There would be so many factors involved at that stage it would be almost impossible to guess that outcome.  I'm sure Kansas and West Virginia would look very hard to find homes in the Big Ten and ACC respectively while also calling Birmingham. 

I personally would love to see a smaller Big 12, one where they have five or six OOC games a year so Texas can maintain or renew rivalries with OU, Ark, and A&M.

If we went to 18, adding Texas plus one more would still add to the pot, though I doubt UTA will do that as their LHN doesn't expire until the mid thirties.  The second best option might not cover the costs of expansion; Kansas and West Virginia.  I don't see the need nor value in adding TCU.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: GuvHog on July 01, 2017, 10:03:39 am
That would be true if Oklahoma had only a local viewing audience but they have more than that. They are a team that's known nationwide and would bring a lot of viewership with them as well as Oklahoma State viewers and fans so it really would be a benefit to the SEC.

OU alone would bring the viewers. Given the choice between OState and another program like those mentioned above (Kansas, WV, etc.) which would expand the market into another state, I would take the other one. State is just too weak.

Murr

Quote from: NuttinItUp on July 01, 2017, 01:14:28 pm
OU alone would bring the viewers. Given the choice between OState and another program like those mentioned above (Kansas, WV, etc.) which would expand the market into another state, I would take the other one. State is just too weak.

OU is playing the Big Ten inventation card with Kansas.  The counter offer is the OU/OSU combo.

The SEC doesn't have to play it as we don't need to use it but if we did, I would like to go to a divisionless 9 game SEC schedule with three permanent rivals.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/14/11895556/sec-football-schedule-format-divisions-rivalries-rotation

Using the SB Nation format and adding OU and OSU, here is about how I see the Arkansas schedule looking:

Arkansas
Permanent opponents: A&M, Mizzou, Oklahoma
Even years: FL, UGa, MSU, SC, V, OSU
Odd years: Ala, Aub, UK, LSU, Tenn, Ole

I would prefer Conference semifinal games before a conference championship game, but the top two teams would obviously go to Atlanta with the current rules in place.

Mike_e

Does anybody know whether or not the breakup of the big whatever nixes the longhorn deal?

ESPN might just be better off in 'helping' that conference disassemble and uta go indi even if they had to pay a lump sum to uta to off the lhc.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on July 01, 2017, 03:16:43 pm
Does anybody know whether or not the breakup of the big whatever nixes the longhorn deal?

ESPN might just be better off in 'helping' that conference disassemble and uta go indi even if they had to pay a lump sum to uta to off the lhc.

No effect, I believe. That deal was made directly with Texas. I would imagine that ESPN would like to negotiate an early departure from that agreement since everyone but Texas is losing money on the deal. Plus, the elimination of the LHN would help the entire conference by being able to finally put a conference network in place. Texas wouldn't make out like the bandit they are right now, but everyone else would gain a great deal from the start up of that network.
Go Hogs Go!

Murr

Quote from: Mike_e on July 01, 2017, 03:16:43 pm

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 01, 2017, 03:23:36 pm
No effect, I believe. That deal was made directly with Texas. I would imagine that ESPN would like to negotiate an early departure from that agreement since everyone but Texas is losing money on the deal. Plus, the elimination of the LHN would help the entire conference by being able to finally put a conference network in place. Texas wouldn't make out like the bandit they are right now, but everyone else would gain a great deal from the start up of that network.

Texas' realignment movements are controlled by ESPN.  That's what the LHN does for Espn .

Could an independent Texas make that Network very profitable?  Possibly, so could a restructured Big 12 that gives in more to the programming demands that that channel wants.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Murr on July 01, 2017, 03:52:37 pm
Texas' realignment movements are controlled by ESPN.  That's what the LHN does for Espn .

Could an independent Texas make that Network very profitable?  Possibly, so could a restructured Big 12 that gives in more to the programming demands that that channel wants.

How's that? ESPN and Fox already have a deal with all of the Big 12. For ESPN, keeping the LHN is like walking around having a hole in the pocket in which you carry your money. I'm not sure the LHN control anything for ESPN, but I'd like to learn how it does.
Go Hogs Go!

slowride

What the SEC needs to do is to invite Texas and let them keep LHN with the condition that 20% of all programming would focus on other SEC teams.  That would be a win, win.  SEC gets a bigger share of the Texas market, other SEC teams get some play on LHN, and Texas gets to play in a better conference.

LZH

I haven't over-thought it out, but how bout TCU to the SECW and WVa to the SECE. I don't see OU going anywhere without lil brotha.

Oklahawg

OSU is a strong football program and perennially strong in hoops. Add in top flight baseball and you cover the big three sports. The drawback to OU and OSU is the secondary sports don't align with the traditional sports played by the SEC, including strong men's gymnastics at OU and wrestling at both (but especially OSU). Wrestling is particularly strong and I think only Missouri has a wrestling program in the SEC.

Think what they add to women's sports: OU is a juggernaut in softball and women's hoops.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Murr on July 01, 2017, 02:55:29 pm
OU is playing the Big Ten inventation card with Kansas.  The counter offer is the OU/OSU combo.

The SEC doesn't have to play it as we don't need to use it but if we did, I would like to go to a divisionless 9 game SEC schedule with three permanent rivals.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/14/11895556/sec-football-schedule-format-divisions-rivalries-rotation

Using the SB Nation format and adding OU and OSU, here is about how I see the Arkansas schedule looking:

Arkansas
Permanent opponents: A&M, Mizzou, Oklahoma
Even years: FL, UGa, MSU, SC, V, OSU
Odd years: Ala, Aub, UK, LSU, Tenn, Ole

I would prefer Conference semifinal games before a conference championship game, but the top two teams would obviously go to Atlanta with the current rules in place.

Actually, as long as the SEC stays as 14 teams, you only need 8 conference games/year to do that. 3 permanent opponents, then 5/5 every other year. (obviously, if the SEC went to 16 teams, you would need to do a 9 game schedule to do the same thing, which may have been what you meant)

I have been talking about that as the preferred scheduling method for a long time. It is basically what basketball does now.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: slowride on July 01, 2017, 04:05:01 pm
What the SEC needs to do is to invite Texas and let them keep LHN with the condition that 20% of all programming would focus on other SEC teams.  That would be a win, win.  SEC gets a bigger share of the Texas market, other SEC teams get some play on LHN, and Texas gets to play in a better conference.
Screw Texas. Don't let them anywhere near the SEC. They are too good at destroying conferences.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: LZH on July 01, 2017, 04:58:41 pm
I haven't over-thought it out, but how bout TCU to the SECW and WVa to the SECE. I don't see OU going anywhere without lil brotha.
TCU would violate the "no overlap" rule they talk about in the article, though.