Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TaxSlayer Bowl Vs. Iowa?

Started by bkjbearcat, June 05, 2017, 01:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

The Gator Bowl normally IS on New Year's Day. Not sure why it isn't this year, other than its lost its NYD appeal thanks to Taxslayer changing the bowl name for nothing more than corporate dollars. I refuse to call it the taxslayer bowl. It is, and always will be, the Gator Bowl. Shame on taxslayer.  >:(
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 06, 2017, 11:23:44 pm
Didn't say they were a truly bad team.  But when you literally have more talent than them at every position on the field, and you lose, that's a bad loss.

If we beat bama this year and go 10-2, is that a bad loss for them?

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 10:08:32 am

Hell yes it is.

However, that's still apples and oranges, as we play in the same conference.  Toledo plays in the MAC.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 10:08:32 am

Yes

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 10:09:31 am
Hell yes it is.

However, that's still apples and oranges, as we play in the same conference.  Toledo plays in the MAC.
I agree. Even an upset win by any team within the sec isn't shocking because of the level of talent each team has compared to teams in the Mac or sun belt conferences.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on June 07, 2017, 11:13:02 am
I agree. Even an upset win by any team within the sec isn't shocking because of the level of talent each team has compared to teams in the Mac or sun belt conferences.

Any decent SEC team should beat any good MAC team.  Every time all the time.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRRandy

Quote from: redleg on June 07, 2017, 09:16:18 am
The Gator Bowl normally IS on New Year's Day. Not sure why it isn't this year, other than its lost its NYD appeal thanks to Taxslayer changing the bowl name for nothing more than corporate dollars. I refuse to call it the taxslayer bowl. It is, and always will be, the Gator Bowl. Shame on taxslayer.  >:(
:razorback:
the gator bowl is a nice consolation prize when a team falls just short of the 12 teams that make up playoff committee picks. That bowl is a notch below the big 6 games but a notch above the December bowls.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 11:15:44 am
Any decent SEC team should beat any good MAC team.  Every time all the time.
correct. That's why it's shocking when it happens. Shocking or glorious. Who didn't love seeing Bama fall to Louisiana Monroe or Xichigan get beat by App St. Those upsets can be awesome when they happen to a rival.
This is fun, isn't it.

gchamblee

You guys are right, but you are ignoring the question I was answering. Toledo was not a "truly bad" team. They were 10-2 with a win over an SEC team.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 11:31:12 am
You guys are right, but you are ignoring the question I was answering. Toledo was not a "truly bad" team. They were 10-2 with a win over an SEC team.

They didn't even win the MAC.  And I already answered your question, but I'll do it again.  Are they a "bad" football team, in general?  No.

But any decent SEC team should beat them every single time.  If you don't consider it a bad loss, that's fine.  But don't act like it's unreasonable to think otherwise.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bcdeputy

Heck yes, good bowl... I would be happy with it

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 11:31:12 am

Compared to the SEC they're "bad". 

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 07, 2017, 11:34:16 am
They didn't even win the MAC.  And I already answered your question, but I'll do it again.  Are they a "bad" football team, in general?  No.

But any decent SEC team should beat them every single time.  If you don't consider it a bad loss, that's fine.  But don't act like it's unreasonable to think otherwise.

I didnt say it wasn't a bad loss. Why are you struggling with my opinion that they were not a "truly bad" team, which was the question hogtard asked? You are turning this into an adversarial back and forth when it doesn't need to be.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 11:59:49 am
I didnt say it wasn't a bad loss. Why are you struggling with my opinion that they were not a "truly bad" team, which was the question hogtard asked? You are turning this into an adversarial back and forth when it doesn't need to be.

I'm not struggling with anything, nor am I being adversarial.  Tone is sometimes hard to interpret through text- especially on a message board.

You don't consider them a bad loss and I'm just explaining my case for opposing that opinion.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 07, 2017, 11:45:22 pm
I would take it every day and twice on Sunday!

Let's not get carried away. I wouldn't complain because it would be the first time CBB has had a Hog team win 8 regular season games since his arrival. The fact that it has taken him at least 5 years to achieve that is very mystifying.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on June 08, 2017, 08:20:06 am
Let's not get carried away. I wouldn't complain because it would be the first time CBB has had a Hog team win 8 regular season games since his arrival. The fact that it has taken him at least 5 years to achieve that is very mystifying.

Not to mention, I think most of us expect the usual level of "suckage" we've experienced over the past several years.  I'd be very shocked if we made it beyond a "Liberty, Music City, or Independence" type of bowl.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 08, 2017, 08:20:06 am

Mystifying is one way to put it.  Completely unacceptable is another.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggish1

Quote from: Sed76 on June 05, 2017, 02:28:57 pm
Still almost 3 months until the first game is played, those expert predictions will change at least 2 dozen times.

Why do you call them experts?

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on June 10, 2017, 02:58:28 pm

Welp, we're up to 11th in the SEC in grades....so it's OK.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on June 11, 2017, 11:20:30 am
Welp, we're up to 11th in the SEC in grades....so it's OK.

11th in grades?  This is "good"?

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 13, 2017, 06:06:52 am

We are looking for improvement, which we have done. Spin it bad if you want, and we all know you do, but we are much better than we have been.

Al Boarland

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 06:49:21 am
We are looking for improvement, which we have done. Spin it bad if you want, and we all know you do, but we are much better than we have been.
I agree. Things like APR aren't really about what everyone else is doing. If you are improving that's a positive.

gchamblee

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 13, 2017, 07:19:16 am
I agree. Things like APR aren't really about what everyone else is doing. If you are improving that's a positive.

Yep. Its like mocking a fat person for losing weight just because all their friends are skinny. Good on you and may you have continued success in trying to improve yourself.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 06:49:21 am

I'm pretty sure LZH was being facetious.

LZH

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 13, 2017, 06:06:52 am

Yes!...(high-fives all around!).

LZH

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 13, 2017, 07:30:36 am

Aw, come on man. 11th in the SEC would put us in the Independence Bowl of APR. What's not to be excited about?

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on June 13, 2017, 07:42:36 am
Aw, come on man. 11th in the SEC would put us in the Independence Bowl of APR. What's not to be excited about?

LOL!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 10, 2017, 02:58:28 pm

So a MAC tram has beaten Arkansas. The Sunbelt must be ecstatic and ready to join the P5 since ULM has beaten both Arkansas AND Alabama with Saban. Here's a shocker for you............ upsets happen all the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 13, 2017, 07:30:36 am

I responded to you, not him.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 09:05:44 am
I responded to you, not him.

You serious Clark?

I was insinuating that if we're actually celebrating the fact that we're 11th academically within a conference, that, that in and of itself is pretty pathetic.

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 13, 2017, 07:51:23 am
So a MAC tram has beaten Arkansas. The Sunbelt must be ecstatic and ready to join the P5 since ULM has beaten both Arkansas AND Alabama with Saban. Here's a shocker for you............ upsets happen all the time.

Huh?  That post you quoted was about CBB not winning 8 regular season games yet.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 13, 2017, 09:14:44 am
You serious Clark?

I was insinuating that if we're actually celebrating the fact that we're 11th academically within a conference, that, that in and of itself is pretty pathetic.

It is not pathetic if you are celebrating improvement, which we are. If you have something that you need to improve, like for instance APR, and do in fact make markable improvement, that is worth celebrating. I don't think they will stop trying to improve now that they are 11th. Why don't you just admit that you have no argument against being proud of making improvement and are just upset that the current administration has done something worthwhile. Your schtick is really old and has zero entertainment value.

We aren't celebrating being 11th, we are celebrating improvement.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 09:21:22 am
It is not pathetic if you are celebrating improvement, which we are. If you have something that you need to improve, like for instance APR, and do in fact make markable improvement, that is worth celebrating. I don't think they will stop trying to improve now that they are 11th. Why don't you just admit that you have no argument against being proud of making improvement and are just upset that the current administration has done something worthwhile. Your schtick is really old and has zero entertainment value.

We aren't celebrating being 11th, we are celebrating improvement.

OK, I can understand that.  However, it's still pathetic that we're 11th academically within a conference that's not known for it's academics.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 13, 2017, 09:36:08 am
OK, I can understand that.  However, it's still pathetic that we're 11th academically within a conference that's not known for it's academics.

Well I am happy that it makes a little more sense to you now. However, one thing I wish you would change your view on and hopefully over time you will.... You claim it is pathetic that we are ranked 11th in APR in a conference that is not viewed as an academics juggernaut, which is true. But how can you hold that opinion and at the same time mock the university for trying to fix that very problem? It doesn't make sense. It feels like you are mocking them for being slow, and then mocking them for improving their speed.

I am going to make a guess, which means it is very possible that I am wrong, but I "think" you are just so accustomed to mocking the program that you sometimes don't realize what it is that you are actually mocking. Maybe take a few minutes and ponder what it is that you are mocking, and then decide if it is actually mock worthy or something worthy of a little attaboy.

BigSexyHog

Until CBB can start beating A&M, Mizz, and Miss St we will always struggle in the SEC.  2 of those should be guaranteed wins.   No excuses for losing to Miss St and Miss.  Zero
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

gchamblee

Quote from: BigSexyHog on June 13, 2017, 10:14:42 am
Until CBB can start beating A&M, Mizz, and Miss St we will always struggle in the SEC.  2 of those should be guaranteed wins.   No excuses for losing to Miss St and Miss.  Zero

We have been beating Ole Miss even when we weren't supposed to, even with them having more bought talent than they have ever had. We beat State last year and set an offensive record in the process. Mizzou I agree with. aTm is not a pushover and I hope that he finally beats them this year.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 10:17:19 am
We have been beating Ole Miss even when we weren't supposed to, even with them having more bought talent than they have ever had. We beat State last year and set an offensive record in the process. Mizzou I agree with. aTm is not a pushover and I hope that he finally beats them this year.

I'm pretty sure he meant Mizzou, not Ole Miss.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 13, 2017, 09:16:03 am
Huh?  That post you quoted was about CBB not winning 8 regular season games yet.

Sorry I got the wrong quote................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 13, 2017, 10:18:53 am
I'm pretty sure he meant Mizzou, not Ole Miss.

That makes sense. Anyone using Miss as an indictment against CBB would be doing so at their own peril. Even Bama has lost to them and we have pretty much shoved our boot down their throat repeatedly.

Stephen Greene

Hogwild

https://athlonsports.com/college-football-bowl-projections-2017

athlon released their bowl projections for 2017

QuoteTexas Bowl   
Dec. 27 ESPN
Big 12 vs. SEC
Baylor vs.Arkansas