Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Layoff

Started by Next1_04, April 26, 2017, 12:42:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 10:18:08 am
Well, if it's not on TV, we'll just raise the ticket prices to get our income. Disney put a $1B in BamTech, MLB's streaming division, they won't go down without a fight.

Oh, the games will be "televised", but the market will segment and drive down revenues as ESPN's exclusive rights expire or they throw in the towel, whichever comes first. 

We'll find a way to pay for the upgrades.  A lot of other teams are in the same boat and not in as good a position as Arkansas is in to weather the storm.  But you will remember my point about the future and lack of certainty where massive television revenues are concerned.  By the start of next season every Razorbacks fan, including me, will be oohhhing and aahhhing at the sparkly new north end zone, and recruits will love the new facilities.  That will be cool. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

311Hog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 27, 2017, 11:07:08 am
Since he got laid off, you don't know how right you are..

But perhaps he'll ascend at another network.

I am really surprised Andy Katz got let go.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The NewEra on April 27, 2017, 08:34:33 am
Just as it's not wise to mix Politics and Religion, it's equally unwise to mix Politics and Sports.  ESPN broke a golden rule and they are paying for it.  As you said, it was the final nail.

ESPN has an accounting problem, not an "old folks watching Fox and Friends and not enough Sportscenter" problem.

Politics is a non-factor.  Subscriber loss hasn't got anything to do with "the libbers."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 27, 2017, 11:07:21 am
Oh, the games will be "televised", but the market will segment and drive down revenues as ESPN's exclusive rights expire or they throw in the towel, whichever comes first. 

We'll find a way to pay for the upgrades.  A lot of other teams are in the same boat and not in as good a position as Arkansas is in to weather the storm.  But you will remember my point about the future and lack of certainty where massive television revenues are concerned.  By the start of next season every Razorbacks fan, including me, will be oohhhing and aahhhing at the sparkly new north end zone, and recruits will love the new facilities.  That will be cool. 

I guess we'll see in 2024 when our contract expires with ESPN.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 11:41:43 am
I guess we'll see in 2024 when our contract expires with ESPN.

Remind me again how long it is expected to take to retire those bonds?

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 27, 2017, 11:46:00 am
Remind me again how long it is expected to take to retire those bonds?

Those bonds will be retired by ticket sales, not SEC TV money, didn't you read the Q&A?

Kevin

espn is moving away from trying to break news in sports. let someone else do that. they will just have commentary shows, and carry sporting events.

will be interesting to see what cbs sports, fox sports, & nbc sports does.

Fox has been scooping up everyone let go by espn.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on April 27, 2017, 11:54:15 am
espn is moving away from trying to break news in sports. let someone else do that. they will just have commentary shows, and carry sporting events.

will be interesting to see what cbs sports, fox sports, & nbc sports does.

Fox has been scooping up everyone let go by espn.

Those 3 networks can pay more for talent, which they think they need to draw viewers, because they do not have the huge rights fees that ESPN has to payout. NBS Sports pays very little for the NHL, when compared to ESPN's deals with the NBA, NFL, etc.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 11:49:40 am
Those bonds will be retired by ticket sales, not SEC TV money, didn't you read the Q&A?

Then why did you mention the termination date?

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 27, 2017, 12:44:25 pm
Then why did you mention the termination date?

Uh.....because that's the date the current contract with ESPN ends, you know, the topic we are discussing???

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 12:51:17 pm
Uh.....because that's the date the current contract with ESPN ends, you know, the topic we are discussing???

Okay. 

hogsanity

Here is my question though, If ESPN starts providing content to more non-tradition carries, like Sling, and ala carte, won't they raise the fess they are charging these non traditional carriers, thus forcing them to raise prices, and just start the cycle all over?

When I was programming director for a cable co in the 90's ESPN, and a couple other networks were the biggest drivers of cost increases we had. Even then ESPn was well over $1 a month per sub, which was huge back then. They have to have content, they have to pay for that content ( unless they go back to monster truck racing and Aussie rules football ), and someone has to pay for that down the line.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on April 27, 2017, 02:07:14 pm
Here is my question though, If ESPN starts providing content to more non-tradition carries, like Sling, and ala carte, won't they raise the fess they are charging these non traditional carriers, thus forcing them to raise prices, and just start the cycle all over?

When I was programming director for a cable co in the 90's ESPN, and a couple other networks were the biggest drivers of cost increases we had. Even then ESPn was well over $1 a month per sub, which was huge back then. They have to have content, they have to pay for that content ( unless they go back to monster truck racing and Aussie rules football ), and someone has to pay for that down the line.

I would assume they will raise those, why wouldn't they?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 10:18:08 am
Well, if it's not on TV, we'll just raise the ticket prices to get our income. Disney put a $1B in BamTech, MLB's streaming division, they won't go down without a fight.

Does that mean they're gonna be raising my discounted FL resident Magic Kingdom ticket prices?    >:(

LZH

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 27, 2017, 11:17:23 am
ESPN has an accounting problem, not an "old folks watching Fox and Friends and not enough Sportscenter" problem.

My friend's grandfather used to say "people don't have money problems, they have auger problems......"

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 03:07:04 pm
Does that mean they're gonna be raising my discounted FL resident Magic Kingdom ticket prices?    >:(

Yes, tripling the price.......

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 03:15:15 pm
Yes, tripling the price.......

Welp, then I guess our post-finals and 4th of July trips are out.......guess I can wait til August when my AARP kicks in.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on April 27, 2017, 03:27:20 pm
Welp, then I guess our post-finals and 4th of July trips are out.......guess I can wait til August when my AARP kicks in.

All you have to do is refinance your home, that's what it took the last time I took my crew.......

PORKULATOR

Quote from: BigE_23 on April 26, 2017, 01:06:14 pm
Stay classy Danny...

Everyone else has been honoring and respectful to ESPN and handled their departures with dignity...but why would anyone expect that from Mr. Kanell?
You make things up when there's nothing to complain about, don't change?
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 03:31:04 pm
All you have to do is refinance your home, that's what it took the last time I took my crew.......

Ha!  Well I still live in the apt I moved into when I got down here.

I guess I could take that job driving go-fast boats for the Colombians.

RedyorNot

Quote from: gguillo on April 26, 2017, 03:30:16 pm
Dwight is correct on this one.  Bucci has not been let go as of today, but this is his final year of his contract and will probably not be renewed.

We can hope.

ricepig

Rocket23

Hated to see Andy Katz on the list.  I enjoyed his reporting.  Britt McHenry won't be yelling at the low folks on totem pole anymore.

Rocket23

Quote from: hogsanity on April 27, 2017, 02:07:14 pm

The ESPN family is already available on SlingTV.  It is how I am watching baseball on SEC Network tonight.

ricepig

Quote from: Rocket23 on April 27, 2017, 07:47:10 pm
The ESPN family is already available on SlingTV.  It is how I am watching baseball on SEC Network tonight.

Yep, and you pay for it.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 03:01:08 pm
I would assume they will raise those, why wouldn't they?

Quote from: Rocket23 on April 27, 2017, 07:47:10 pm

That's my point, they will start charging more to these carriers, or if sling is currently absorbing the cost ( which they have to be to only charge what they charge for their packages ) eventually they will raise prices so someday they may actually make money. So all the cord cutters who left cable over high fees and channels they do not watch will be right back in the same boat.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Richard_white on April 26, 2017, 01:14:08 pm
No Dan Le Batard?..Bummed

The Biggest waste on ESPN Radio!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

311Hog

Hogimus Prime

Some of these are head scratchers. Andy Katz, Len Elmore, Mark May, Ed Werder, Jayson Stark, Dr Jerry Punch and Jay Crawford gone but not really surprised with Crawford kinda figured he would be out with Smith and Hill getting the SC6 thing.

ESPN's problems are many and deep.  For one they overexposed themselves with too many networks.  I'm not talking about each conference network but 2 ESPNs, a ESPN News, ESPNU and ESPN Classic.  It spread them then causing blocks that needed to be filled.  Why do you need hours of Sportcenter when you've got ESPN News, so now you have these hours and blocks that need to be filled. Shows like PTI were great at first but ESPN over saturated their networks with shows like that. NFL shows on everyday. Same with college football.  The same minor story would be talked about all day off and on on 3-4 ESPN network.  It has caused fatigue among viewers.  I know that it wore me out to where I only watch ESPN for games. Throw that in with cord cutters, cable and satellite companies offering packages without ESPN and the over paying of tv rights and it's easy to see why they are in a mess

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 28, 2017, 10:22:54 am
Some of these are head scratchers. Andy Katz, Len Elmore, Mark May, Ed Werder, Jayson Stark, Dr Jerry Punch and Jay Crawford gone but not really surprised with Crawford kinda figured he would be out with Smith and Hill getting the SC6 thing.

ESPN's problems are many and deep.  For one they overexposed themselves with too many networks.  I'm not talking about each conference network but 2 ESPNs, a ESPN News, ESPNU and ESPN Classic.  It spread them then causing blocks that needed to be filled.  Why do you need hours of Sportcenter when you've got ESPN News, so now you have these hours and blocks that need to be filled. Shows like PTI were great at first but ESPN over saturated their networks with shows like that. NFL shows on everyday. Same with college football.  The same minor story would be talked about all day off and on on 3-4 ESPN network.  It has caused fatigue among viewers.  I know that it wore me out to where I only watch ESPN for games. Throw that in with cord cutters, cable and satellite companies offering packages without ESPN and the over paying of tv rights and it's easy to see why they are in a mess

Really, in hindsight, people could have seen something like this with rights fees, overpaying, when NBC decided not to bid against FOX when FOX wanted to get into the NFL. Whne a network with the resources of NBC decided it was not worth it to pursue THE NFL, it should have set some off some alarms.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

The Hawg Marshal

Did they keep Beth Mowin?

LRRandy

Quote from: 311Hog on April 28, 2017, 10:04:16 am
Cya Mark May lol
should have been sooner. He is true idiot
This is fun, isn't it.

Triple T

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 28, 2017, 09:39:37 am
The Biggest waste on ESPN Radio!!!
Look at me I wear my hat sideways on-air I'm so cool lol mexico

Porked Tongue

Hope Mark May catches on at a car wash.

Razorback_Mack

When you choose talking for a living as a career don't be shocked when the powers that be ask you not to talk.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 26, 2017, 02:19:31 pm
When ESPN first came on the air, it stood for Entertainment & Sports Programming Network.  Until the last few years, there has always been some "entertainment" but it has always been overshadowed (rightfully) by the sports.  The past couple of years, however, there has been a distinct shift toward the entertainment side, or what the demographic ESPN is shooting for would call entertainment.  Everything other than live sports events tries to be hip and in-your-face.  Maybe that's what the majority of its audience today wants.  If so, count me in the minority.

Agreed. I just want my news and games. Nothing more. Shows like pardon the interruption and others are just stupid.

Just news and games. Is that too much to ask?
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawganatic on April 26, 2017, 02:39:41 pm
Sportcenter has become unwatchable anyway.  I miss the days of:

Stuart Scott, Rich Eisen, Craig Kilborn, Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, etc....

Way more entertaining and they did a good job of REPORTING sports and not trying to spin it into something it isn't.
well, in case you missed it, NOBODY needs somebody reporting on sports results now. it's all over the internet. we dont tune in to see what happened. ever.

To the guys saying it's failing b/c it's too PC... LLOOOLLLOOOLLOLOLOLOLOL.. sigh. lololololololol

It was a bubble, it was bound to burst. It has been much predicted.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

longpig

Dilfer is more of a Dr. Phil than a football analyst anyway. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pig in the Pokey

MANE, they even got Dr Jerry Punch. They got no respect in Bristol. This is epic and even though I knew this bubble would burst... dang, it's surreal.

Welcome to the real world, dudes.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/confirmed-espn-layoffs-constantly-updated.html
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

... that all of them are unemployed? 8)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 27, 2017, 11:17:23 am

Politics is a non-factor.  Subscriber loss hasn't got anything to do with "the libbers."
dont you know? it's always the libs. source of all evil. I hear it hear all the time.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 10:39:04 pm
Could not disagree more on this.  ESPN's turn left has been a factor in subscriber loss - not the only factor and not the largest one but significant nonetheless.
you cant possibly really believe that.

BigE_23

Quote from: woodhog14 on April 26, 2017, 03:30:14 pm
You must of missed the tweet he posted one minute after this one...it was all class.

https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/857274947974070273

I saw it, and it was no doubt posted after he realized how his first tweet came off...his fellow colleagues didn't need a "second tweet".

I hate for anyone to lose their job, but my dad taught me a principle on transitions: how you leave one place is how you enter the next.

BigE_23

Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 27, 2017, 03:39:01 pm
You make things up when there's nothing to complain about, don't change?

Are you asking a question!

bondhue

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 26, 2017, 03:13:33 pm
ESPN pulled an MTV and went hard left. Is this why?

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-moves-left-wing-so-ceo-can-run-for-president-032917
I stopped listening when I couldn't tell the difference between ESPN and MSNBC.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bondhue on April 28, 2017, 11:06:51 pm
I stopped listening when I couldn't tell the difference between ESPN and MSNBC.
that outkick the coverage article actually makes a lot of sense. wont get past bernie though.