Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference between Anderson and Nolan

Started by Piggfoot, March 20, 2017, 12:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Nolan would have been on the floor and getting a "T" during that game. They may have had to drag him to the locker room.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

BRHogfan

While I appreciate your feelings, Mike Anderson is not a guy that gets a lot of Ts.  We tried a raving lunatic that would kick in signs and not keep his cool in pressure moments.  I like that Mike is a guy that you can count on to be in control of his emotions and help give that calm to his players. 

My father had a big temper and it wasn't always fun to be around.  Seeing that as a kid has made me focus more on keeping myself in check when dealing with my wife and kids. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 20, 2017, 12:52:14 pm
Nolan would have been on the floor and getting a "T" during that game. They may have had to drag him to the locker room.

No he wouldn't.  Nolan used T's to get his team's attention-- not take on the refs.  Coach A had his team's attention. 

You want to know the real difference between the 2016-2017 Razorbacks and the, let's say, 1990 Final Four Razorbacks?  Draft picks.

hog.goblin

Two differences:

1) Nolan scared the heck out of me.  He looked angry.  He sounded angry.  And I think that affected the refs and his players.  That's not Mike's personality, and he seems to always be smiling.  But I don't think it's something he has to change.  He has shown fire when needed.

2) Recruiting.  That has been the biggest difference.  It seems Mike is on the right track to close that gap.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 20, 2017, 02:09:10 pm
A Technical Foul after a reasonable under-two-minutes "no call?". That's Larry Eustachy handing the game to the other team.

I'm far from sold on MA and Nolan ball ever working again but at least we don't give games away by acting the fool.
So Arkansas giving number 1 UNC all they wanted didn't do anything to make it feel like Mike's brand of ball could work? That leaves me with two thoughts.

1: you're a troll
2: it would take back-to-back Arkansas Natty's to make you believe

Guess which way I'm leaning?

Little Lady Back

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 20, 2017, 02:12:48 pm
So Arkansas giving number 1 UNC all they wanted didn't do anything to make it feel like Mike's brand of ball could work? That leaves me with two thoughts.

I'll take #1 for $100...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on March 20, 2017, 01:57:52 pm
No he wouldn't.  Nolan used T's to get his team's attention-- not take on the refs.  Coach A had his team's attention. 

You want to know the real difference between the 2016-2017 Razorbacks and the, let's say, 1990 Final Four Razorbacks?  Draft picks.

So you think Nolan was glaring at the team and not the refs when he got a T.
Most of you guys are obviously fans of Dr.Spock. When Nolan got a T it inspired the team because the team knew he had their back.

Hogdomer

And if it was a "reasonable no-call" then it was clearly, blatantly, a travel.

Piggfoot

The object of the game is to win. Not participate.

The real Hogules

Hog teams of the past weren't only deep, their depth was good enough to start at many other colleges. We had a future Harlem Globetrotter riding the pine!  lol
This year's team was nice, but we didn't have the high flyers that played during our greatest years.
Those teams were special!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HossHog

Wait a second... your telling me that the 1990 team who went to the final four had better players than this last team? I had no idea!

HossHog

A Technical Foul after a reasonable under-two-minutes "no call?". That's Larry Eustachy handing the game to the other team.

I'm far from sold on MA and Nolan ball ever working again but at least we don't give games away by acting the fool.
Did you watch the game? Whenever the players started trapping is when the game went into our favor

Hog Fan...DOH!

That was not a "reasonable" no-call.  It was atrocious.  The OP stated that the difference between Nolan and MA is that Nolan would have picked up a technical in the same situation.  The answer is no way. 

Nolan was a brilliant, hall of fame coach, and too smart to get a T in that situation.   

"Nolan Ball".  You don't think fast tempo and motion offense works?  It works at NC, Duke, Kansas, West Virginia, Louisville, Oregon...

Arkansas was a good small forward away from beating that UNC team by double digits.  Jesus, MA just won 26 games, and 27 in '14-'15.  Is that not "working"??  How would you rather win? 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 20, 2017, 02:46:12 pm
The object of the game is to win. Not participate.
Did you even think we had a chance to win before the game started ???.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

March 21, 2017, 07:28:04 am #14 Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:39:24 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on March 20, 2017, 03:10:00 pm
"Nolan Ball".  You don't think fast tempo and motion offense works?  It works at NC, Duke, Kansas, West Virginia, Louisville, Oregon...
Exactly, I keep trying to tell people that if they watch other teams besides Arkansas they would realize that most of the top teams run the same motion offense that we do. Some of them don't pressure as much as we do on defense but they run the same offense.

hawgdavis

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 20, 2017, 02:44:38 pm
So you think Nolan was glaring at the team and not the refs when he got a T.
Most of you guys are obviously fans of Dr.Spock. When Nolan got a T it inspired the team because the team knew he had their back.

This, apparently some folks don't understand this concept. I think he would have done this much earlier in the game though. He could also just give the refs or players a look that would smash boulders. I think Mike is starting to get the refs respect it takes time , Nolan didn't have it right out of the box but did gain it over time. But yea he would get in their ass quick and a tech when needed.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on March 20, 2017, 03:10:00 pm
That was not a "reasonable" no-call.  It was atrocious.  The OP stated that the difference between Nolan and MA is that Nolan would have picked up a technical in the same situation.  The answer is no way. 

Nolan was a brilliant, hall of fame coach, and too smart to get a T in that situation.   

Arkansas was a good small forward away from beating that UNC team by double digits.  Jesus, MA just won 26 games, and 27 in '14-'15.  Is that not "working"??  How would you rather win? 

Good post! Some people on here just don't get it or refuses to get it.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

GuvHog

The biggest difference between Mike Anderson and Nolan is Nolan, by his own admission, had a chip on his shoulder when he arrived at Arkansas but Mike doesn't have one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ShadowHawg

I don't recall Nolan getting a ton of technical. I remember Sutton was very good at using the technical in a strategic manner.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2017, 09:01:11 am
The biggest difference between Mike Anderson and Nolan is Nolan, by his own admission, had a chip on his shoulder when he arrived at Arkansas but Mike doesn't have one.
You really believe that don't you? You really believe that Mike don't have a chip on his shoulder? Uh uh uh, I fell so sorry for you.

40MINSOFHELL

He  might have a chip on his shoulder after the last game.

Hollywood870

Anderson seemed to have plenty of fire those last 4 games our so. Out on the court, barking at officials and everyone. I enjoyed it. It's because we tortured him all year and made him snap. Hogville gets all of the credit.

hawgfan4life

Low post count negative or passive aggressive undermining the coaches and/or philosophy.  Troll or agenda?

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 10:41:19 am
You really believe that don't you? You really believe that Mike don't have a chip on his shoulder? Uh uh uh, I fell so sorry for you.

Yes I do. Mike is a fine young man and a very good coach. Nolan was raised during the pre-civil rights era and was treated very badly as a boy and a young man which left him with a chip on his shoulder. I can't blame him for that. Mike was raised in a different era when civil rights laws were in effect and changes were slowly being made. He wasn't treated as badly as Nolan was in his youth so he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HamSammich

How exactly is a guy a troll for a solid opinion???

#fakeposts

HamSammich

To you young people if a persons opinion does not fall in line with group thought then that person is a troll or evil or racist.... it's an interesting world now

sickboy

Nolan was a bit of a grizzly bear. He had a timbre to his voice that could shake you when he was angry, but a gentleness that'd draw you in when he was just being a normal old bear.

sickboy

Quote from: HamSammich on March 21, 2017, 06:50:07 pm
To you young people if a persons opinion does not fall in line with group thought then that person is a troll or evil or racist.... it's an interesting world now

That has nothing to do with young people as an age group. Don't be blinded by feeling alienated and ascribe sweeping generalizations to an entire swath of people, simply because you feel entitled to your opinion.

HamSammich

Quote from: sickboy on March 21, 2017, 07:07:12 pm
That has nothing to do with young people as an age group. Don't be blinded by feeling alienated and ascribe sweeping generalizations to an entire swath of people, simply because you feel entitled to your opinion.

Lol

snf6278

Speaking of Nolan and not getting a T, I believe it was 88-89 and we were playing the short horns and he got so mad at the refs that he walked off the court. I remember penders throwing a fit wanting him to get one. I believe that was the game Mayberry nailed a three at the end to send it to OT. Sorry to derail the thread but that was a great memory for a young Hog fan at the time.

rude1

Nolan would have been up reminding the officiating crew in the first half about the disparity in the calls and free throws being taken. When your players are getting robbed and they look to the bench for help, I want to see CMA demonstrate to these kids he has their back by up working the officials. Believe it or not it is a part of the game and of coaching, so much so, other coaches complained that Nolan intimidated officials.

LZH

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 10:41:19 am
You really believe that Mike don't have a chip on his shoulder?

I don't think he does either....Mike always looks like he's about 30 seconds from falling asleep. 

sickboy

Let's also not forget that college basketball is a different game today. Nolan would have a heart attack before halftime with the way games are officiated these days.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 20, 2017, 02:05:07 pm
Two differences:

1) Nolan scared the heck out of me.  He looked angry.  He sounded angry.  And I think that affected the refs and his players.  That's not Mike's personality, and he seems to always be smiling.  But I don't think it's something he has to change.  He has shown fire when needed.

2) Recruiting.  That has been the biggest difference.  It seems Mike is on the right track to close that gap.
exactly this
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on March 21, 2017, 07:59:30 pm
Bottom line?

Getting a "T" at the moment specified would have been the height of stupidity.

Nolan is -- right or wrong -- the occasional Angry Black man but he's not stupid: he might seethe there but he won't destroy his team's final chance to win due to ego.

Neither did Mike.
there are moments when a coach must absolutely get a "T"...not at the end of the game, I agree...don't really know what race has to do with it, but apparently, at least according to you, it does
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The Boar War

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 20, 2017, 12:52:14 pm

We were down 3 with 40 seconds and the ball (after that bad no call).  Nolan might have lost it earlier in the game but it would have been ridiculous to give them more foul shots and the ball when its a one possession game.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2017, 06:46:55 pm
Yes I do. Mike is a fine young man and a very good coach. Nolan was raised during the pre-civil rights era and was treated very badly as a boy and a young man which left him with a chip on his shoulder. I can't blame him for that. Mike was raised in a different era when civil rights laws were in effect and changes were slowly being made. He wasn't treated as badly as Nolan was in his youth so he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder.
Well yeah, if your talking about that kind of chip then I agree. Mike has a natural chip on his shoulder first of all because of the way he was raised, then playing for Nolan made that even better, because he's a super competitor that just doesn't like losing (he likes to win) and he always feels like the underdog. That's the kind of chip on his shoulder that he has.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LZH on March 21, 2017, 09:36:44 pm
I don't think he does either....Mike always looks like he's about 30 seconds from falling asleep.
I guarantee you he's burning on the inside when he sees these types of things going on. He just knows how to control his emotions. Nothing wrong with that. What people are forgetting is that most of the times when you go after an official or berate an official it only makes the calls worse. Sometimes it can become a personal vendetta believe it or not. I've seen it.

If you pull them to the side and talk to them man to man with respect and not try to put them on blast, embarrass them or talk to them with disrespect it can go over a whole lot smoother and you more than likely will start getting some calls. Depending on the official or officials I guess.

JayBell

Which trend dies first, A) posters stop with the accusations that any critic of Anderson is just a hater who will never be satisfied, or, B) Mike just needs to get out there and get T'd up to fire up the team?  Both claims are equally stupid.

MIKE'S JUST NOT THAT GUY.  Even when I have had my issues with decisions Anderson has made/makes, I've always thought he's a great guy.  He cares about the right things and he has everything right in the program regarding behavior, legal issues, academics, etc.

Mike Anderson is simply never going to be the raving lunatic that runs out on the court and cusses out referees.  He's just not.  And he doesn't need to be.  Let it go.

Slater

One of them has been ejected from an NCAA Tourney game and it was not Nolan
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 07:16:05 am
Did you even think we had a chance to win before the game started ???.

I certainly did.   So.... call me a homer....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 22, 2017, 11:20:29 am
I certainly did.   So.... call me a homer....
Homer ;D! Lol...I thought we have a chance also but it was a slim chance. I was thinking we had to play perfect in order to beat them. And I was even wrong about that. We didn't play perfect. Not even close. But we still had a chance and should have beaten them.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 20, 2017, 02:05:07 pm
Two differences:

CMA had the perfect personality to be paired as an assistant with CNR because his steadying calming influence was what was needed.  While Richardson certainly didn't always control the situation he was truly impossible to ignore by the team, the officials, the other team and coach , the media, basically everyone in the building or watching on TV.  That presence provided Nolan with plenty of opportunities to seize control of the situation.  Mike Anderson simply will never have that sort of impact and he usually lacks assistants and floor leaders who can substitute those qualities.  His success is in recruiting players who don't need that sort of motivation and having enough talent in depth to overcome talented teams with attention getting personalities.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I feel like some folks think this is 1999. 

Mike Anderson is a "fine young man".  "Beginning to get the attention of officials..." WTH. Seriously, WTH.  He's 57 years old.  He's been a head basketball coach for 15 years.  He was a multi-millionaire, Elite 8-Sweet16 coach before ever stepping foot on Arkansas's campus as head coach.   This "Nolan did this so Mike should do this" stuff just has to stop.

I genuinely believe that the majority of Arkansas fans have been tuned out since Pat Bradley and Kareem Reid graduated.  Y'all realize stuff has happened since?

PonderinHog

Back in the day Nolan looked like he would kill ya.

Mike might kill ya with kindness.

younghog

well said
GO HOGS