Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hazen, the forgotten one

Started by labb, March 20, 2017, 10:56:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

This kid just might surprise next season...long, can run and shoot. Anyone know much about him?

rzrbkman

He played just 42 more minutes than I did for the Hogs this season. He was 1-6 from the field, 0-2 from 3 pt and 1-4 from the FT line. Not a lot of info to go on.

BRHogfan

I know he didn't play much, but he always looked pretty comfortable out there when he was put in during garbage time. 

lstewart

I was at all the home games, and I thought he looked like a walk on the little time he was on the court. Hopefully he will make a big jump, but it seemed he needed to improve a lot to be able to help at this level.

NWAHog479

He has great size and a nice shot, looked pretty smooth in the Red/White game. Definitely a D1 player, whether that is mid-major or SEC I am not sure.

Hogdomer

Speculation on other boards that he may be transferring.

HF#1

Quote from: Hogdomer on March 20, 2017, 11:16:56 am
Speculation on other boards that he may be transferring.

Wouldn't surprise me if he did but if he sticks it out, he should see the court more next season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pancetta

He is always very positive on his twitter. I wish Mike would have found a way to get him 5 minutes a game. 6'8" 3 point shooters are nice to have. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

hawginbigd1

Quote from: lstewart on March 20, 2017, 11:10:44 am
I was at all the home games, and I thought he looked like a walk on the little time he was on the court. Hopefully he will make a big jump, but it seemed he needed to improve a lot to be able to help at this level.
I wasn't there, but I saw the same thing from my living room. Honestly thought he was a reach, and nothing he showed dissuade that feeling.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Pancetta on March 20, 2017, 11:29:19 am
He is always very positive on his twitter. I wish Mike would have found a way to get him 5 minutes a game. 6'8" 3 point shooters are nice to have.

What evidence do we have that he's a three point shooter?

jm

I kind of like the kid. He is an interesting prospect. I don't know how he will develop but the effort is always there and he appears to be thinking.

pigsooie1000

I think he will leave and wind up at a D3 school. he looks like a positive hard worker who has a good shot but physically he is so far behind the game he has little hope. he'd be a turnover and foul machine and devastate our defense if he ever got in a meaningful game. he doesn't look like he will contribute at all in the next few years and the scholarship could be put to much better use elsewhere. this feels like Doobie Jenkins 2.0

hogwood

Quote from: labb on March 20, 2017, 10:56:46 am
This kid just might surprise next season...long, can run and shoot. Anyone know much about him?

I too think he has a lot of potential if he sticks around. He could easily work his way into the rotation next year. He has 7/8 months to work on his game. No telling what a kid his age and with his physical tools can do with our staff.

sickboy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 20, 2017, 05:34:35 pm

I watched his high school highlights and he can shoot threes if he needs to, but he's a more traditional 4 than a combo. He's not a 6'8" Dusty Hannahs.

hogman99

His recruiting videos were more impressive than Garlands.

Cinco de Hogo

Ain't gonna happen, he will transfer out and score 20 points a game for somebody like MTU.

sickboy

Quote from: hogman99 on March 20, 2017, 06:03:03 pm
His recruiting videos were more impressive than Garlands.

Can you point me to those, because I've watched highlights of both and must have missed some of Hazen's videos?

swinesation

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on March 20, 2017, 05:51:28 pm
I think he will leave and wind up at a D3 school. he looks like a positive hard worker who has a good shot but physically he is so far behind the game he has little hope. he'd be a turnover and foul machine and devastate our defense if he ever got in a meaningful game. he doesn't look like he will contribute at all in the next few years and the scholarship could be put to much better use elsewhere. this feels like Doobie Jenkins 2.0

Can we save this post? I wonder what you thought of Manny two years ago?

Youngsta71701

I'm not sure he can be consistent yet because he hasn't had the opportunity to prove it but from the few times I have seen him shoot in mop up duty he does have a nice looking stroke. Looks good to me anyways. JMO though...Carry on.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

And you have proof of this how? The 40 minutes of mop up duty he has played?

BRHogfan

Barford says they are going to get him ready.

QuoteIt's going to be a great summer. We're going to get C.J. Jones ready, Adrio Bailey ready and Brachen Hazen ready and our freshmen. We're going to be back. For sure.

Hollywood870

I see a long athletic player in Hazen with decent handles, big wingspan, and a very nice looking jump shot. Just needs playing time and some peanut butter sandwiches. Hope all of these guys stay.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 09:43:47 am
Yeah from the 40 minutes he played I could tell he has some talent. Just like when we where practically begging for Bailey to get in there all year after the limited action we saw from him. Saw Hazen sky of for a one handed alley-oop one game and barely miss it. Was a difficult play. Like what his jump shot looks like. He doesn't look slow, 6'8 with long arms. Will develop into at tall SF with an outside shot whose wingspan and run out abilities will help on D and the break.....GIVE HIME A CHANCE BEFORE RUNNING HIM OFF!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 11:05:24 am
I see a long athletic player in Hazen with decent handles, big wingspan, and a very nice looking jump shot. Just needs playing time and some peanut butter sandwiches. Hope all of these guys stay.

THIS!

The Hogfather

hogman99

Quote from: sickboy on March 20, 2017, 09:08:22 pm
Can you point me to those, because I've watched highlights of both and must have missed some of Hazen's videos?

Please see above post.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 09:43:47 am
My bad, I didn't read all of your post.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 11:12:48 am
Yeah from the 40 minutes he played I could tell he has some talent. Just like when we where practically begging for Bailey to get in there all year after the limited action we saw from him. Saw Hazen sky of for a one handed alley-oop one game and barely miss it. Was a difficult play. Like what his jump shot looks like. He doesn't look slow, 6'8 with long arms. Will develop into at tall SF with an outside shot whose wingspan and run out abilities will help on D and the break.....GIVE HIME A CHANCE BEFORE RUNNING HIM OFF!!

Kind of like Chandler Parsons, because he's another white small forward.

Hollywood870

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 21, 2017, 11:19:55 am

Dude is out there knocking down 3's, doing spin moves in the lane and putting his nutts on the rim. Was always smiling off the bench this year. Get off this guys back.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 11:34:11 am
Dude is out there knocking down 3's, doing spin moves in the lane and putting his nutts on the rim. Was always smiling off the bench this year. Get off this guys back.

I agree.  I really hope he sticks.  He can be good for us.

Rbill

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 21, 2017, 10:19:32 am

I like this leadership. Don't let anyone leave, Barford.

HawgTrough

I thought he looked long and athletic when he came in. Didn't seem to be nervous either.
WPS

BRHogfan

Not trying to poo poo on Hazen, because like I said, I think he looked comfortable when he played this season and wouldn't doubt he will be a contributor at some point for this team, but I saw Stephen Cox playing in Intramurals after he quit being a walk-on for the team and against that competition he looked as good as Hazen's highlights here do.  Hopefully, Hazen was playing against better competition.

sickboy

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 21, 2017, 11:19:55 am

Nice. He's a got a soft touch. I still don't see him as a better prospect than Garland at all, but they're very different players who serve very different roles on the court. Garland's a 6'6" slasher who's as athletic as they come. Kinda Sonny Weems-ish. He's a top 100 player. Hazen's not on that level athletically.

Still, if Hazen can beef up a bit and work on his footwork a little, I could see him being very productive. Like a less post-aggressive, more mid-range, slightly shorter Hunter Mickelson. Ha.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 11:12:48 am
Hey man I agree. From the little time we did see him on the court he looks like he may have some skills. Pigsooie1000 is the one trying to run him off. Looks like he could be a pretty good all around small forward to me. Although I would like to see a bigger sample size before I come to my full conclusion.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 21, 2017, 11:29:47 am
My bad, I didn't read all of your post.
Lol...No problem. I was trying to show him some love. Looks like he has a nice skill set to me. You know everyone has the microwave approach these days with all or these one and done's.

Youngsta71701

onebadrubi

From what we've seen and know, what's keeping him from being very similar to a Thompson off of this years team but with maybe a little better shot??

Bigger guy with a little bit of passing ability above average.  Can assist on the board but not play down there all the time, and can step out on switched screens?

daprospecta

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 21, 2017, 01:46:32 pm
Not trying to poo poo on Hazen, because like I said, I think he looked comfortable when he played this season and wouldn't doubt he will be a contributor at some point for this team, but I saw Stephen Cox playing in Intramurals after he quit being a walk-on for the team and against that competition he looked as good as Hazen's highlights here do.  Hopefully, Hazen was playing against better competition.

I used to play against Stephen Cox all the time in the hyper and I used to wonder how he made the team because I used to dominate him. Now, I'm 6'4 260 and was at the time as well so there is that but Hazen is no Stephen Cox.........in a good way.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 03:34:23 pm
Hey man I agree. From the little time we did see him on the court he looks like he may have some skills. Pigsooie1000 is the one trying to run him off. Looks like he could be a pretty good all around small forward to me. Although I would like to see a bigger sample size before I come to my full conclusion.
Well if he's the white dude on the bench he obviously has to go. There are a few good white dudes out there folks. Anderson gave this dude a schollie. Jones , Bailey, Hazen? Looks like Anderson has a knack for these "projects". I like all of em. He is finding talent that will stick around for 3-4 years. That is who we are.

hoglady

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 21, 2017, 10:19:32 am

Sounds like Barford has a plan for the summer.
Hope it's true, Barford stays and helps get this team ready for next year.
If that happens we could be really good.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rude1

Hope he stays, I would like to see him develop into one of the pieces this team is missing, a shooter with size that can get his shot off over the top of defenses. We struggled at times when teams closed out quickly on our shooters because none of them had the size to elevate and get if off over the defense. A lot of times our guys ended up pump faking because the defense was closing so quickly and they weren't sure they had the space to get it off, a player the size of Hazen can just go straight up and it will be difficult for guys closing out to get a good contest on his shot.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Do you realize that D3 is non-scholarship basketball?

Hogimus Prime

I think I remember MA saying something about Hazen liked to mix it up and bang just didn't have the strength to do that right now.  I'm pretty sure MA and staff knew he wasn't going to be ready to play this year, most freshmen are not ready. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Pancetta on March 20, 2017, 11:29:19 am

I wish Mike would have Red shirted him and not wasted a year of eligibility in mop up duty.   This is not good player management.  Bigs many times need an extra year to gain weight, strength and to refine their game unless of course he is a 4 or 5 star kid.  I think in year 3 and 4 we will see many things we like about his game.  I wanted to get rid of Trey after year 1 also.  He is a very serviceable player now.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: tncbg on March 21, 2017, 07:48:54 pm
He looked happy to be there over on the bench.  I hope he is hungry and determined to make something of himself. He has some real upside if he wants it, but desire separates the men from the boys.  Dusty has far less to work with, but he made himself a player.  The door is wide open for the kid, but he must be willing to walk through it. What we are advising is not at all easy, so if he chooses to transfer and take the path of less resistance, so be it. Here's hoping he wants to be something special.

I would like to see him stay and as you have said, he is going to have to be willing to do the work to take his game to the next level.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The Hogfather

This is ridiculous.

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2017, 05:10:09 am
I wish Mike would have Red shirted him and not wasted a year of eligibility in mop up duty.   This is not good player management.  Bigs many times need an extra year to gain weight, strength and to refine their game unless of course he is a 4 or 5 star kid.  I think in year 3 and 4 we will see many things we like about his game.  I wanted to get rid of Trey after year 1 also.  He is a very serviceable player now.
Most players today don't want to redshirt their freshman year. They want to save that redshirt for a transfer year. Transfers happen so much these days that if you blow a redshirt, then you are going to have to transfer down if you won't want to lose a year sitting out.

labb

Quote from: azhog10 on March 24, 2017, 03:22:28 pm
Most players today don't want to redshirt their freshman year. They want to save that redshirt for a transfer year. Transfers happen so much these days that if you blow a redshirt, then you are going to have to transfer down if you won't want to lose a year sitting out.

Thanks for the post AZ. Why is this so hard for some to understand. Seems to be a lot of "Why didn't coach red shirt so and so'. Now you know.