Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do YOU think Arkansas' football season will go in 17-18..?

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, March 18, 2017, 04:45:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How do YOU think Arkansas' football season will go in 17-18..?

Arkansas will win a Natty baby..!
9 (2.8%)
Arkansas wil 10+ games..!
24 (7.4%)
Arkansas Will win 7-9 games..!
235 (72.3%)
Arkansas will win 6...
34 (10.5%)
Arkansas will be LUCKY to win 6...
14 (4.3%)
Frito pie taste like crap...
0 (0%)
Frito pie is Da Bomb...
5 (1.5%)
I don't know or care. I just want to point out how stupid everyone else is regardless of their pick.
4 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Voting closed: March 28, 2017, 04:45:59 pm

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Here's your chance to show your true colors... I don't think I left anything off...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Birminghog

Had you offered 8-10, I would have gone with that, but I think 7-9 is more realistic. Would love to get to double digits. Maybe 10-12?

bennyl08

Agree with the 8-10 comment.

The expectation for this season should be 9 regular season wins, IMO.

Thus, the 7-9 option is too pessimistic only the expectation or worse, but 10+ is too optimistic only covering the upside.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogs run wild

i think 8 wins, plus 1 if we get lucky in our bowl game. just too many unknowns as every year. oline, WR, can austin allen be the leader we need him to be and not the guy that throws crucial picks, can the defense be better with the new scheme, do we have enough quality LBs to play the 34, who helps austin cantrell at the TE position, is special teams any better? you know, too many unknowns.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: jlhogfan on March 18, 2017, 08:37:36 pm
Natty

Of course it's Natty. Its march and the games are all played on paper at this time. Easy answer.

Arthur pigby sellers.

TeufelHog

Still building the roster of "Jimmy's & Joe's."  Offensive line still has a lot to prove including a couple "new" starters due to last season attrition.  New defensive scheme is a concern from a "growing pains" perspective (players and coaches figuring it out).  Still lacking overall team speed on both sides of the ball.  Account for a new punter . . . kicker/kicking game still questionable.  Plan for (HOPE NOT) the "standard" annual joint, broken bone, and -wait for it- "foot" injuries to 4-6 players.

I see 7 regular season wins, maybe 8 best case scenario . . . add a possible bowl win.

Sed76

7 or 8. Will be that way until the team makes second half adjustments and plays decent defense consistently.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 18, 2017, 07:01:56 pm
i think 8 wins, plus 1 if we get lucky in our bowl game. just too many unknowns as every year. oline

How is O-line an unkown? We return 4/5 of our starters as well as two other players that have some starting experience. Last years team was playing 3 brand new starters and thus it was known that they'd make some mental mistakes. This year, it is known that they shuld be much improved from having all of last year for experience. Sure, it is possible that they defy average expectations and perform below, but then that applies to everything. Will RW3 and Whaley regress to give us a worse run game than we had in 2011? Technically that is an unknown. For me, I expect a big jump from a first year player to a second year and a solid jump from a first year with actual experience to a 2nd year with actual experience and then modest improvement in every other year. The only exceptions to that is if the player/coaching staff has provided evidence to the contrary such as players not getting better from one year to the next or an individual has a history of not improving. For us, I can't think of a single position group or individual where that is the case.

This year was nearly identical in situation to our 2013 OL year, with the caveat that we actually have good depth now and better talent top to bottom. The OL performed much much better than it did in 2013 and it would take a defiance of expectations for a group with 3 brand new starters to not improve as a group that now returns 4/5. So, we should see even better results than 2014/15.

QuoteWR,

This is an unknown. We return exactly 1 WR (Cornelius) this coming season who has more than 1 career catch. Can't argue that this isn't an unknown; however, I can point out that of all the positions to have first year starters, this is the easiest one to replace. Further, we have third year players who are more than capable of filling these roles with Pettway and Stewart. We have highly recruited Jordan Jones who will be a 2nd year player, and we have the #1 JUCO who is a big bodied player with good speed coming in.

Quotecan austin allen be the leader we need him to be and not the guy that throws crucial picks

How is this an unknown? We know he can be that guy, it's already on tape and demonstrably proven. I.e. check out the first half of the season. Now, IMO, where the real unknown is, is can he consistently be the leader that he has previously proven to be? That first half of the season, he was undoubtably the best qb in the conference, bar none. 2nd half, he wasn't as good and dropped to the measly rank of being about the third best qb in the entire conference. A lot of the change seemed to come after the auburn game where he was pulled for a bit after a dirty hit and he wasn't quite the same. Could also have to do with him not trusting his OL to give him much time or the defense to do their job.

This is something that happens to even the best of qbs. Drew Brees had a particularly bad season a couple years ago when they had a historically bad defense. For him, he knew he had to score a td on every single drive just to have even a chance to win the game. Punting was no longer an option for him, so he pressed. Through more dangerous throws that led to turnovers, hurting the defense and creating a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. When the qb has faith in the team around him, those types of things don't happen.

Quotecan the defense be better with the new scheme,

Good question. Given how much depth and experience we return this year, it is my opinion that we could hire half the coach that Robb Smith was and the defense would still be better. I think Rhoads is better than half the coach that Smith was. How much better is definitely an unknown and how quickly the defense will respond to, buy into, and learn/execute the new scheme remains unknown.

Quotedo we have enough quality LBs to play the 34

Shouldn't be an unknown there. Greenlaw was a freshmen all american. Harris consistently graded out above an 80 by an NFL rubric as a true freshmen. Ramsey showed ability to rush the passer. Eugene graded solidly last year and his play showed it as well. Beyond that, we have very talented youngsters in players like LaFrance and AJB that are more of the traditional LB a la Spaight, Franklin, and Ellis along with some DE's who can rush the passer and have good speed, though whether they can cover the pass is also an unknown.

Quotewho helps austin cantrell at the TE position

Another valid question. OGrady came on later and barring a Reed-esque regression should be ready for an even bigger role next year. Coaches seem to be high on Gunter. Gragg was highly recruited and wouldn't be the first player who just took a while to really come into his own. Finally, Patton coming in reminds of a Chris Gragg/Evan Engram type player. We'll see how good of a blocker he is, but in the passing game, he could keep OGrady on the bench.

Quoteis special teams any better?

Punting probably won't be better because that was a high bar, but I think Johnson comes in and keeps up the tradition of us having excellent punting for the past many punters. Hedlund improved on fg's last year so lets hope that he goes forward some more this year. Special team tackle/return units I think can be a function of either how good your third stringers are or how willing you are to put your starters in (like the Seahawks).

Quoteyou know, too many unknowns.

There are several unknowns, though many of the unknowns you listed are not what I would call unknowns. However, the  major message of your point appeared to be that we have too many unknowns to win too many games. A lot of that comes from knowing your own team better than other teams. We have fewer unknowns than most. Moreover, while we undoubtably do have some unknowns, we have a lot of knowns, and they are pretty impressive knowns.

1. 5th yr senior qb. As I mentioned earlier, first half of the season, every other qb in the SEC was fighting for 2nd best. Even after Austin's coup de grace, he was still top 3 and that was his very first season starting as a qb. On average, players experience a decent jump in play from their first year as a regular player to their second. I.e. think of how much Mallett improved from year 1 to year 2.

2. OL play: We return 4 out of our 5 starters which puts us ahead of the curve in the SEC this year. Now, many people have some bad memories of our OL last season. However, if you move past feelings and into facts, things look a lot more promising. First, despite the issues on the OL, last season was still was one of the best offenses in program history. We still had one of the top passing attacks and the leading regular season rusher. So, what led to the bad memories? Early in the season in particular, we were missing assignments. Throughout most of the season, we were not often beat 1 on 1, but typically allowed pressure by being confused. Anybody who has competed in any event knows that is the biggest part of the improvement from the first year to the next, the mental part of the game slows down and you don't make nearly as many mental errors. That improved throughout the season as well. Secondly, they didn't have the experience to know how to stay mentally tough at the end of games. That becomes easier too, though not quite as easy.

3. Running backs: As mentioned before, we had the top regular season rusher last year in RW3. He should be even better next year as well. Further, we have Whaley, who is not only getting the first year to second year bump, but is also getting the first year playing a lot to second year playing bump too.

4. Non-linearity: You might think this is a bit of a cheat point, but hear me out. The sum of those three things is going to be greater than the sum of their parts. Think about it, strong run game to help a qb out and help out the new crop of pass catchers. Strong, experienced OL to even greater emphasize the talented running backs. Already that will help out the qb and slow down the pass rush. Fewer missed assignments with that offensive line will basically halve the amount of pressure that Allen was under without our running game being even better next year. So while we do lose a lot with the receivers, they have one of, if not the best signal caller to get them the ball, they have a great backfield to keep the defense honest and from selling out to stop the pass, and an OL to give the receivers (and qb) more time to get open and get the ball.

5. We lose a lot of production, but the guys we are replacing them with are more athletically gifted. The guys most likely to be heavy in the rotation are not green players either. They don't have a lot of experience, but for most of them, they will be in their third year under Enos. And that is something to smile about.

6. We have stud players at every level of our defense. Agim on the DL, Dejon Harris at LB, and Pulley at CB. When I say stud, I'm not just talking about draft pick, I'm talking top 10 at their position by the time they graduate IMO draft pick. Combine that with both depth in numbers and talent at each level and the ONLY issues we should have on defense next year will be coaching and scheme which we've ideally corrected from the past two years.

7. New coach can bring new energy and shake up what opponents know about us. Look at Smith's first year here. top 10 defense. Other teams didn't know what to game plan for, players who had been here a while showed out even more than you would expect from one year's improvement.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

widespreadsooie

Most wild card of a team in recent memory. Frankly, I'm not optimistic. Head ball coach needs 8 wins. We have a good QB and superior RBs but I have no reason to believe our D won't be trash. Replace an entire WR group and pray our o line matures. Not sure we'll be much a pass threat and it will kill our offense.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Birminghog on March 18, 2017, 05:02:32 pm
Had you offered 8-10, I would have gone with that, but I think 7-9 is more realistic. Would love to get to double digits. Maybe 10-12?

I am like you that I would have chosen 8-10 if it were a choice. Since it was not and we have not even started Spring practice I chose 10+. This time last year I said 10 wins because it is too early to be gloom and doom.

For now 10 wins and I will adjust in August. Woo Pig!
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

woodhog14

I think we will be 9-3. Depends on the who we matchup with in bowl game to see if we can get that 10th win. It's all about matchups.

McKdaddy

7 wins. I feel very negative in this thread predicting only 7 wins, but I'm no CBB hater.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jgphillips3

Any reasonable prediction has to be 7-9.  However, I think we could do as well as 10-3 after a bowl game if things come together.

Hogs run wild

Benny,

you can argue against what i stated, that's fine. the fact that our QB regressed towards the end of the season is a concern. you made my point when talking about him being inconsistent. as far as the 0-line, returning 4 starters off a bad o-line doesn't mean instant success. i will say that they did get better towards the end of the season, but can they be good or very good? we've got Ragnow (who is very good), froholdt (oh man just close your eyes austin, you gonna git kilt because of this guy), gibson (who showed flashes of being good) and the two tackles are up in the air. whoever they had out in right tackle just kept getting beat over and over again. so we have one very good player in Ragnow, one decent player in Gibson, and two guys who aren't proven at tackle (other than big Dan, they all struggled).  and now the LBs, we've not had a good corps of LBs in a long time. now we're expected to put 4 competent LBs on the field at the same time? last year we had 2 decent LBs in Brooks and Dre. Brooks is gone and Dre is coming off foot injury (again). how can this not be a concern of any razorback fan? guess i'm not optimistic as others.

jkstock04

6-8 wins regular season. Pretty daunting away schedule and too much unproven on the defensive side of the ball.

5th yr qb and (should) be returning most on the offensive line you would think will help. What will be our identity this year? Last year was pretty much opposite what Bielema is about. Passing team with zero defense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 19, 2017, 02:00:33 am
How is O-line an unkown? We return 4/5 of our starters as well as two other players that have some starting experience. Last years team was playing 3 brand new starters and thus it was known that they'd make some mental mistakes. This year, it is known that they shuld be much improved from having all of last year for experience. Sure, it is possible that they defy average expectations and perform below, but then that applies to everything. Will RW3 and Whaley regress to give us a worse run game than we had in 2011? Technically that is an unknown. For me, I expect a big jump from a first year player to a second year and a solid jump from a first year with actual experience to a 2nd year with actual experience and then modest improvement in every other year. The only exceptions to that is if the player/coaching staff has provided evidence to the contrary such as players not getting better from one year to the next or an individual has a history of not improving. For us, I can't think of a single position group or individual where that is the case.

This year was nearly identical in situation to our 2013 OL year, with the caveat that we actually have good depth now and better talent top to bottom. The OL performed much much better than it did in 2013 and it would take a defiance of expectations for a group with 3 brand new starters to not improve as a group that now returns 4/5. So, we should see even better results than 2014/15.

This is an unknown. We return exactly 1 WR (Cornelius) this coming season who has more than 1 career catch. Can't argue that this isn't an unknown; however, I can point out that of all the positions to have first year starters, this is the easiest one to replace. Further, we have third year players who are more than capable of filling these roles with Pettway and Stewart. We have highly recruited Jordan Jones who will be a 2nd year player, and we have the #1 JUCO who is a big bodied player with good speed coming in.

How is this an unknown? We know he can be that guy, it's already on tape and demonstrably proven. I.e. check out the first half of the season. Now, IMO, where the real unknown is, is can he consistently be the leader that he has previously proven to be? That first half of the season, he was undoubtably the best qb in the conference, bar none. 2nd half, he wasn't as good and dropped to the measly rank of being about the third best qb in the entire conference. A lot of the change seemed to come after the auburn game where he was pulled for a bit after a dirty hit and he wasn't quite the same. Could also have to do with him not trusting his OL to give him much time or the defense to do their job.

This is something that happens to even the best of qbs. Drew Brees had a particularly bad season a couple years ago when they had a historically bad defense. For him, he knew he had to score a td on every single drive just to have even a chance to win the game. Punting was no longer an option for him, so he pressed. Through more dangerous throws that led to turnovers, hurting the defense and creating a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. When the qb has faith in the team around him, those types of things don't happen.

Good question. Given how much depth and experience we return this year, it is my opinion that we could hire half the coach that Robb Smith was and the defense would still be better. I think Rhoads is better than half the coach that Smith was. How much better is definitely an unknown and how quickly the defense will respond to, buy into, and learn/execute the new scheme remains unknown.

Shouldn't be an unknown there. Greenlaw was a freshmen all american. Harris consistently graded out above an 80 by an NFL rubric as a true freshmen. Ramsey showed ability to rush the passer. Eugene graded solidly last year and his play showed it as well. Beyond that, we have very talented youngsters in players like LaFrance and AJB that are more of the traditional LB a la Spaight, Franklin, and Ellis along with some DE's who can rush the passer and have good speed, though whether they can cover the pass is also an unknown.

Another valid question. OGrady came on later and barring a Reed-esque regression should be ready for an even bigger role next year. Coaches seem to be high on Gunter. Gragg was highly recruited and wouldn't be the first player who just took a while to really come into his own. Finally, Patton coming in reminds of a Chris Gragg/Evan Engram type player. We'll see how good of a blocker he is, but in the passing game, he could keep OGrady on the bench.

Punting probably won't be better because that was a high bar, but I think Johnson comes in and keeps up the tradition of us having excellent punting for the past many punters. Hedlund improved on fg's last year so lets hope that he goes forward some more this year. Special team tackle/return units I think can be a function of either how good your third stringers are or how willing you are to put your starters in (like the Seahawks).

There are several unknowns, though many of the unknowns you listed are not what I would call unknowns. However, the  major message of your point appeared to be that we have too many unknowns to win too many games. A lot of that comes from knowing your own team better than other teams. We have fewer unknowns than most. Moreover, while we undoubtably do have some unknowns, we have a lot of knowns, and they are pretty impressive knowns.

1. 5th yr senior qb. As I mentioned earlier, first half of the season, every other qb in the SEC was fighting for 2nd best. Even after Austin's coup de grace, he was still top 3 and that was his very first season starting as a qb. On average, players experience a decent jump in play from their first year as a regular player to their second. I.e. think of how much Mallett improved from year 1 to year 2.

2. OL play: We return 4 out of our 5 starters which puts us ahead of the curve in the SEC this year. Now, many people have some bad memories of our OL last season. However, if you move past feelings and into facts, things look a lot more promising. First, despite the issues on the OL, last season was still was one of the best offenses in program history. We still had one of the top passing attacks and the leading regular season rusher. So, what led to the bad memories? Early in the season in particular, we were missing assignments. Throughout most of the season, we were not often beat 1 on 1, but typically allowed pressure by being confused. Anybody who has competed in any event knows that is the biggest part of the improvement from the first year to the next, the mental part of the game slows down and you don't make nearly as many mental errors. That improved throughout the season as well. Secondly, they didn't have the experience to know how to stay mentally tough at the end of games. That becomes easier too, though not quite as easy.

3. Running backs: As mentioned before, we had the top regular season rusher last year in RW3. He should be even better next year as well. Further, we have Whaley, who is not only getting the first year to second year bump, but is also getting the first year playing a lot to second year playing bump too.

4. Non-linearity: You might think this is a bit of a cheat point, but hear me out. The sum of those three things is going to be greater than the sum of their parts. Think about it, strong run game to help a qb out and help out the new crop of pass catchers. Strong, experienced OL to even greater emphasize the talented running backs. Already that will help out the qb and slow down the pass rush. Fewer missed assignments with that offensive line will basically halve the amount of pressure that Allen was under without our running game being even better next year. So while we do lose a lot with the receivers, they have one of, if not the best signal caller to get them the ball, they have a great backfield to keep the defense honest and from selling out to stop the pass, and an OL to give the receivers (and qb) more time to get open and get the ball.

5. We lose a lot of production, but the guys we are replacing them with are more athletically gifted. The guys most likely to be heavy in the rotation are not green players either. They don't have a lot of experience, but for most of them, they will be in their third year under Enos. And that is something to smile about.

6. We have stud players at every level of our defense. Agim on the DL, Dejon Harris at LB, and Pulley at CB. When I say stud, I'm not just talking about draft pick, I'm talking top 10 at their position by the time they graduate IMO draft pick. Combine that with both depth in numbers and talent at each level and the ONLY issues we should have on defense next year will be coaching and scheme which we've ideally corrected from the past two years.

7. New coach can bring new energy and shake up what opponents know about us. Look at Smith's first year here. top 10 defense. Other teams didn't know what to game plan for, players who had been here a while showed out even more than you would expect from one year's improvement.

I'm already an optimist,  but you put me over the top. I bet you were/are a hell-uv-a closer late hours in the bar room..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 18, 2017, 10:10:52 pm
9 will be great. 7 wins not so much.
It's like we're sharing the same brain but you're hogging it all.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 19, 2017, 12:02:33 pm
Benny,

you can argue against what i stated, that's fine. the fact that our QB regressed towards the end of the season is a concern. you made my point when talking about him being inconsistent. as far as the 0-line, returning 4 starters off a bad o-line doesn't mean instant success. i will say that they did get better towards the end of the season, but can they be good or very good? we've got Ragnow (who is very good), froholdt (oh man just close your eyes austin, you gonna git kilt because of this guy), gibson (who showed flashes of being good) and the two tackles are up in the air. whoever they had out in right tackle just kept getting beat over and over again. so we have one very good player in Ragnow, one decent player in Gibson, and two guys who aren't proven at tackle (other than big Dan, they all struggled).  and now the LBs, we've not had a good corps of LBs in a long time. now we're expected to put 4 competent LBs on the field at the same time? last year we had 2 decent LBs in Brooks and Dre. Brooks is gone and Dre is coming off foot injury (again). how can this not be a concern of any razorback fan? guess i'm not optimistic as others.

There's a big difference in asking if somebody can show something for the first time ever, something they have never shown before, and asking if they can be more consistent in their second year than their first season with significant playing time.

Show me me many plays where Froholdt was ever beat? I'm sure it happened a few times, but not very many. Now, at the beginning of the season, you know, when he was still learning guard after being on the DL, he missed his assignment quite a bit and looked a bit lost. By the 2nd half of the season, the number of times that happened was no worse than most OL starters in the SEC. Chances are, you remember him being bad because he was singled out early in the year. Later in the year when that became less of an issue, you didn't hear him singled out, so the only thing you remember about his play specifically is when he was playing quite poorly.

So, we had an OL that made a lot of mental errors early in the season, when Austin was the most pressured qb in all of football. Those mental errors decreased throughout the season, and our weaknesses on the OL weren't due to a lack of quickness or strength. They were due to a lack of experience. We have experience now to go with the very good strength and quickness that we need in the SEC as well as pretty good depth, too. For all the problems our OL had, they still did well enough to give us one of the top 5 offenses in school history. Still allowed Austin to be one of the best qb's in the SEC and RW# to be the most productive RB in the SEC. And, that OL is only going to be better this year. Also, if you think Skipper didn't struggle at LT then you are mistaken.

What is your definition of a "long time"? 2014 was a good group of LB's with Spaight being all SEC and Ellis playing at his best as well. Go back to 2010 and you had Nelson and Franklin nd Leon who were all very good LB for us. We have 3 LBers who have proven it for us on the field as LB'ers already. We have a 4th who has been productive in Ramsey. That is presumably already our starting 4. However, good starters are not enough. We need depth. Well, bring in AJB and LaFrance who are stellar recruits now in their 2nd year as hogs. We have Taylor who was a speed rushing end to play at OLB and could easily start as well IMO. I forget the name, but in this years class, we brought in somebody very similar who was a speed rushing end, and we also bring in Fisher who is a prototypical 3-4 OLB who is a jack of all and can cover, stop the run, and rush the passer. Behind them, we still have solid players like Walker and Roesler and others whose names I can't remember. I mean, if you aren't including Harris and Eugene in our good LB'ers from last year, then you weren't paying attention. I'd argue both played at least as good as Harris with flashes of being better as well.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 19, 2017, 03:09:10 pm

Show me me many plays where Froholdt was ever beat? I'm sure it happened a few times, but not very many.

now i know you're just looney.

RazorbackAlways

Arkansas won't win more than 6 this year. And maybe 7 in 2018. As long as Bielema is in charge, this team's going nowhere. That said, WPS!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on March 19, 2017, 07:43:03 pm
Arkansas won't win more than 6 this year. And maybe 7 in 2018. As long as Bielema is in charge, this team's going nowhere. That said, WPS!

Jump off anytime you feel froggy.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike_e

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 19, 2017, 09:36:53 pm
He said show him. Got any evidence?

Oh, come on.   That would be too much like work.

15 and Oh my!
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hawghiggs

Think that we will be outstanding the first half of the season, and totally collapse the second half.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogcard1964

MuskogeeHogFan

It wouldn't be surprising to see us win 8, it also wouldn't be too surprising if we won 10. There are just too many variables involved that we can't predict once the season gets started. Suppose Austin Allen goes down with a serious injury, or Frank Ragnow? Or 3-4 of our returning defensive leaders? How well would our depth perform? Just a lot of question marks. Not involving who we have coming back or coming in necessarily, it is more the unpredictable. Still, I'll be shocked if we don't win 8 in the regular season.

I will say that if we ever hope to play and win at higher levels on a more consistent basis, we need to recruit and develop more talent on defense. I think we are doing as well as those who compete for the SEC on the offensive side of the ball for the most part, but on defense in the past, we have been woefully below where we need to be for an extended period of time. I'll just offer this up as to why I feel that way.

If how many players you have drafted is at least one measure of the quality of recruiting and player development, then look at the NFL Draft from 2007-2016 for Arkansas, Alabama and LSU.

Offensive Draftees 2007-2016        Defensive Draftees 2007-2016
ARK                       27                                               10
ALA                       28                                               30
LSU                       27                                               35

If being selected in the 1st through 3rd Rounds is another measure of success, then let's look at that over the same period of 2007-2016.

ARK:    11 (7 Off-4 Def)
ALA:    35 (17 Off-18 Def)
LSU:    34 (13 Off-21 Def)

Yes, coaching does play a part in all of this as does the type of offense and defense that the coach chooses to run. But you can see by the difference in what is at least the perceived talent levels (by the NFL), that any coach at Arkansas is usually behind the 8 ball in terms of divisional competition. Some years, if all the breaks go your way and they don't go the way of your opponents, you escape with no (or few) major injuries and have a favorable schedule, you might hit the double digit win season. But this is why that until recruiting and player development improve (and we may already be on our way towards this, we will see) we probably aren't going to be in the 10+ win column very often. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 19, 2017, 01:10:44 pm
6-8 wins regular season. Pretty daunting away schedule and too much unproven on the defensive side of the ball.

5th yr qb and (should) be returning most on the offensive line you would think will help. What will be our identity this year? Last year was pretty much opposite what Bielema is about. Passing team with zero defense.

The away schedule is daunting???

Ole Miss is in shambles and South Carolina is in a rebuilding mode under second year head coach Muschamp. That leaves only Bama and LSU.

The Hogs should go 2-2 in away games, 3-0 in SEC home games, 4-0 in non-conference, and they are past due for a win over A&M in Dallas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2017, 10:41:14 am
New defense, new problems. 6-7 wins.

True, but we have what could quite possibly be one of, if not thee best running game in the country.  We're certainly going to light the scoreboard up.

HF#1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 20, 2017, 11:35:26 am
True, but we have what could quite possibly be one of, if not thee best running game in the country.  We're certainly going to light the scoreboard up.

I'll wait to see how our Offensive Line holds up. At the RB position, yes we are in good shape.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 19, 2017, 05:32:31 pm
now i know you're just looney.

Despite his assignment errors, he was still consistently ranked as our 2nd or third best OL player last season by ProFootballFocus and among the top 4 players on offense out of everybody. So, he had to have been doing something right, to consistently be considered better than Skipper.

Maybe you were watching different games than the 13 that I watched. However, when Froholdt got his hands on you, you didn't get past him. Now, early in the season, there were several times he never got his hands on you because he zigged when he should have zagged. It would be looney to deny that. However, numbers don't lie.

PorkSoda

I agree Froholdt did improve as the season went on.  of course he couldn't have gotten worse,  Also that Gibson kid that filled in for a while settled down and played very solid after a couple early mistakes.

Should be interesting to see how the Oline shakes out this year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 20, 2017, 04:18:43 pm
I agree Froholdt did improve as the season went on.  of course he couldn't have gotten worse,  Also that Gibson kid that filled in for a while settled down and played very solid after a couple early mistakes.

Should be interesting to see how the Oline shakes out this year.

Oh, he could have been a lot worse. He did a good job considering not only his lack of experience at playing OG in the SEC, but in never having played that position or on that side of the ball before. And we are talking about a kid who hadn't been playing American style football all that long, compared to those around him. Think about that for a moment. It's completely different on the offensive side of ball where it requires really excellent technique and adapting to calls at the LOS. Not that this doesn't happen on defense, it is just more involved on offense. So yes, he could have done a lot worse than what he did. He is probably going to wind up being one heck of an O-Linemen when it is all said and done.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2017, 05:19:26 pm
Oh, he could have been a lot worse. He did a good job considering not only his lack of experience at playing OG in the SEC, but in never having played that position or on that side of the ball before. And we are talking about a kid who hadn't been playing American style football all that long, compared to those around him. Think about that for a moment. It's completely different on the offensive side of ball where it requires really excellent technique and adapting to calls at the LOS. Not that this doesn't happen on defense, it is just more involved on offense. So yes, he could have done a lot worse than what he did. He is probably going to wind up being one heck of an O-Linemen when it is all said and done.

Never say never. He started at TE in HS when he was playing here in the US. I was under the impression that he also played some, but can't find anything corroborating that.

Also, he has been playing American style football since he was 12 years old. He just only had 2 years of playing it in America before coming to the UA.

1highhog

I picked 7-9 with a Bowl win.  I'd be happy with 9 wins, I wouldn't be, "go celebrating with the wife to Kauai" type happy, but I'd be happy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 20, 2017, 05:39:28 pm
Never say never. He started at TE in HS when he was playing here in the US. I was under the impression that he also played some, but can't find anything corroborating that.

Also, he has been playing American style football since he was 12 years old. He just only had 2 years of playing it in America before coming to the UA.

Been there. It is getting better but it still isn't at the CONUS level so excuse me if I don't lend European-American football a lot of credit. You get better by playing against better players, not just in potential talent, but developed talent and you find most of that in the U.S. Be happy that I was agreeing with you about Froholdt. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Arthur pigby sellers.

Most telling part of that poll is the 0% hate on frito pie.

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2017, 05:19:26 pm
All things considered, he had some serious struggles.  at the beginning of the year the only silver lining was that he wasn't getting beat physically, he just wasn't where he needed to be mentally.  As his understanding of his responsibilities improved, so did his play.  I'm glad the coaches stuck with him as he should be a force next year.  but you can't rationalize his early play as anything other than horrid.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 20, 2017, 02:52:54 pm
Despite his assignment errors, he was still consistently ranked as our 2nd or third best OL player last season by ProFootballFocus and among the top 4 players on offense out of everybody. So, he had to have been doing something right, to consistently be considered better than Skipper.

Maybe you were watching different games than the 13 that I watched. However, when Froholdt got his hands on you, you didn't get past him. Now, early in the season, there were several times he never got his hands on you because he zigged when he should have zagged. It would be looney to deny that. However, numbers don't lie.
oh i watched the same games, i just didn't drink what you drank or smoked what you smoked. here's a stat from this very good (in your opinion) O-line from last year: opp sacks = 35, that's ranked 103 out of 128. yeah our offense was good, protection was not. that's part of being an o-line.  http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/468/p3
opponents tackles for loss, we were ranked 101 out of 128. again, we're talking about guys getting beat on the o-line. my original post was unknowns about the O-line. can they protect better. don't tell me they will or they should. i want to see it on the field.

HamSammich

7 wins exactly and CBB will get and probably deserve an extension.

HamSammich

btw... a real poll doesn't have exact wins and one option that's a range that is sure to be the popular pick. Garbage.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on March 20, 2017, 07:27:18 pm
btw... a real poll doesn't have exact wins and one option that's a range that is sure to be the popular pick. Garbage.

Then produce your own poll chit for brains.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 20, 2017, 07:11:59 pm
All things considered, he had some serious struggles.  at the beginning of the year the only silver lining was that he wasn't getting beat physically, he just wasn't where he needed to be mentally.  As his understanding of his responsibilities improved, so did his play.  I'm glad the coaches stuck with him as he should be a force next year.  but you can't rationalize his early play as anything other than horrid.

Don't disagree with anything there. I guess the question becomes, what did people expect?

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 20, 2017, 07:16:47 pm
oh i watched the same games, i just didn't drink what you drank or smoked what you smoked. here's a stat from this very good (in your opinion) O-line from last year: opp sacks = 35, that's ranked 103 out of 128. yeah our offense was good, protection was not. that's part of being an o-line.  http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/468/p3
opponents tackles for loss, we were ranked 101 out of 128. again, we're talking about guys getting beat on the o-line. my original post was unknowns about the O-line. can they protect better. don't tell me they will or they should. i want to see it on the field.

Show me anywhere where I said that last year's OL was very good? Please. I can show you a multitude of posts where I said we would be physically talented but make a lot of errors before the season began, and then many posts where I comment that the physical potential of our OL is there, we just need to stop making mental errors.

An OL that makes as many mental errors as last year's did is not a "very good" OL. I honestly have no idea where you are reading anything in my posts that I thought it was a "very good" OL. I can only guess that you are only capable of thinking in binary on this subject. Either you thought the OL was absolute crap or you thought it was very good. No inbetween for you? Hey, if that is the case, there are 10 kinds people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't...

No, my actual opinion of last year's OL, and not your made up fantasy version of my opinion, is that we had 3-4 players who are going to get drafted on that OL, with Ragnow the only one likely to be gone by the end of round 3. The others being Skipper, Froholdt, and maybe Wallace. However, Skipper was playing out of position at LT, Froholdt was had just switched over from the DL, Gibson was a walk-on who provided us consistency but I don't think has NFL upside, and Wallace was still in his first year with regular playing time. We were in a similar position to 2013, with the difference being that we weren't starting true freshmen, the players we were starting were more talented as a group, and we had more depth. The results on the field were much better than we saw then. Guess what, we had minimal losses from 2013 to 2015 and each year, our OL improved. I'm not saying we are going to have one of the best units in the country next year. However, on average, players get better over time unless the coaching staff or an individual has proven otherwise. We have evidence supporting that we should see good improvement and so it should be expected that our OL will improve and it while it wasn't very good, it was good enough to get the job done results wise by allowing one of the top offenses in our history.

Finally, for the sacks, the numbers are what they are, I obviously can't and won't dispute what they are. However, football is a team game. Sacks are a function of several things. How well the OL pass blocks, how fast the opposing DL players are, how quick the receivers can get open, how quick the qb can find them, and how willing the qb is to wait for them to get open (ignoring factors related to qb's who frequently take off and run). The pass blocking last year was worse than we fielded in previous years. The pass rushers we faced this year were better than we've faced the past two years as well. Our receivers were about as quick to get open this year as last year. Austin was inevitably going to be a bit slower seeing them during his first year starting compared to Brandon's third year. Further, BA was much, much, much more willing to throw the ball into the stands at the first hint of pressure to avoid taking any sacks while Austin wants to hang in there as late as possible (and is also more willing to trust his arm to make a tough throw).

This isn't just something I'm now saying to try and support my argument. Again, you can dig through my post history and see me arguing that in years past, our sacks allowed numbers were grossly inflated to BA throwing the ball away rather than risking a sack. We were at or very near the top in sacks allowed, but in terms of pressure allowed, we ranked much much worse. This year, our qb wasn't the type to throw the ball away as easily. That was the biggest reason for the increase in sacks allowed, IMO.

jcbville

j-mann

we need to win 9   only BAMA and LSU  souild be L  every other game is winnable 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs