Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs are NIT

Started by txkhog, February 21, 2018, 09:24:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

txkhog

Hogs are an NIT team, not a NCAA tourney team. Lots of blame to go around. Next year will be totally back to the drawing board.

Atlhogfan1

It would still take a lot of failure to miss the NCAAT.  2 wins whether it's 2 out of 3 in the regular season or 1 out of 3 plus an SECT win. 

Next year depends on some variables we won't find out about till after the season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PharmacistHog

There is no telling what will happen. This is the most bipolar team I have ever seen. Its just as likely that we win out vs lose out vs split them. There is just no way to know. And it is frustrating as hell.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

99toLife

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 09:36:22 am
There is no telling what will happen. This is the most bipolar team I have ever seen. Its just as likely that we win out vs lose out vs split them. There is just no way to know. And it is frustrating as hell.

I agree.  Crazy thing is there are probably 3-4 other SEC teams this year that are just like us. 

hulk hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 09:28:05 am
It would still take a lot of failure to miss the NCAAT.  2 wins whether it's 2 out of 3 in the regular season or 1 out of 3 plus an SECT win. 

Next year depends on some variables we won't find out about till after the season.

I wouldn't count on Gafford being back. If he is projected top 20 in the draft he will be gone.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Knot2brite

I truly don't believe we are NIT bound at this point but we have some work to do to avoid it. It would be a shame for this team to go to the NIT
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

The_Iceman

The only reason we are not securely an NCAA Tournament team this year is Mediocre Mike is our coach. Year 7, 6 seniors, 2 All SEC guards, and an NBA Center.

If he can't make it this year, it will be at least another 2 before he makes it again.

5ACentral

Quote from: txkhog on February 21, 2018, 09:24:59 am
Hogs are an NIT team, not a NCAA tourney team. Lots of blame to go around. Next year will be totally back to the drawing board.
You are SO right!  And we lose 4 fairly good Seniors and if Gafford defects to the NBA, NEXT year will see us with more losses than wins.  Where is the recruiting we should be seeing from an SEC school?  .. Our upcoming Sophs and Juniors can not get the job done next year. Perhaps our AD department is OK with average BB teams and hopes the football team will overcome adversity within the U of A sports programs. Thank God we have a good baseball team to look forward to.

Nickle-Pig

This is probably true....we have taken a hard road now to avoid a bubble
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

5ACentral

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 09:50:03 am
The only reason we are not securely an NCAA Tournament team this year is Mediocre Mike is our coach. Yesr 7, 6 seniors, 2 All SEC guards, and an NBA Center.

If he can't mske it this year, it will be at least another 2 before he makes it again.
Agree 100% ...  :'(

PharmacistHog

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 21, 2018, 09:52:43 am
You are SO right!  And we lose 4 fairly good Seniors and if Gafford defects to the NBA, NEXT year will see us with more losses than wins.  Where is the recruiting we should be seeing from an SEC school?  .. Our upcoming Sophs and Juniors can not get the job done next year. Perhaps our AD department is OK with average BB teams and hopes the football team will overcome adversity within the U of A sports programs. Thank God we have a good baseball team to look forward to.

Defects to the NBA?  That's a crappy way of phrasing it.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

King Kong

Well, we will still accept the NCAA bid when they give it to us on Selection Sunday

redleg

I'm not convinced they will even make the post-season. IF they do it will be in the NIT for sure.
Next year will be a disaster if Gafford leaves early. They have no height or size for 2018-19.

If I were Hunter Yurachek, I'd lay down the gauntlet for Mike Anderson...you get your team to the Sweet 16 by 2020, or you're gone. I don't think that is too much to ask.
But who to get to replace Anderson?  ???
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Cotton

Been saying this for 6 weeks... I'm sure this thread will end up in the trash too, though.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hollywood_HOGan45

I don't think we are nit bound yet but I expected this team to be playing for seeding by now.  It's very discouraging that we have a 6'11 nba center to go with two all everything juco guards with tons of experience around them and we are still fighting for a bid.

I'm not upset with the uk loss. Sure it sucks to have a big loud crowd and stink up the place but I'm most upset with the games against teams with equal or less talent where we don't even show up until it's too late.   

We will end up scratching and clawing for a bid but the energy level may not be there in the ncaa due to the effort we had to expend just trying to get in.

TexasRazorback

I hate to say it but the more and more I watch the Hogs the more and more I see a NIT team. It will be extremely disappointing to miss the tourney with such a senior led team and one that made the tourney last year. But you have to win to be in and right now we are not playing good basketball

Atlhogfan1

We'll find out about AU tonight and how they look without any inside presence. 

Mizzou may get Porter Jr back.  He is working out some and shooting.  Wouldn't expect big minutes from him having sat out so long. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 09:50:03 am
The only reason we are not securely an NCAA Tournament team this year is Mediocre Mike is our coach. Year 7, 6 seniors, 2 All SEC guards, and an NBA Center.

If he can't make it this year, it will be at least another 2 before he makes it again.

Agree 100% This was supposed to be the year we make a "run". While it is still possible, it is far from probable.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 10:34:37 am
We'll find out about AU tonight and how they look without any inside presence. 

Mizzou may get Porter Jr back.  He is working out some and shooting.  Wouldn't expect big minutes from him having sat out so long.

I Agree, I think it's crazy if he plays at all.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 10:35:57 am
I Agree, I think it's crazy if he plays at all.

I could see giving him a few possessions in next week's games.  See how he does.  If nothing else as a spot up shooter in certain situations and try and hide him on defense.  If he proves he could be available in the NCAAT, it would be taken into consideration by the committee just as McLemore's situation with AU will be. 

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 10:41:13 am
I could see giving him a few possessions in next week's games.  See how he does.  If nothing else as a spot up shooter in certain situations and try and hide him on defense.  If he proves he could be available in the NCAAT, it would be taken into consideration by the committee just as McLemore's situation with AU will be.
I guess maybe as a tie breaker to make the NCATT, but it seems crazy to me, because he is still projected 6-8 pick in the NBA draft. 

Mr. Porkleone

2 NCAA 7 years. Anderson not cutting it

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 10:45:30 am
I guess maybe as a tie breaker to make the NCATT, but it seems crazy to me, because he is still projected 6-8 pick in the NBA draft.

It's a risk. 

Seeding as well. 

dbhog

Do you think this team would accept an NIT bid if it comes to that?  I think they might turn it down with all the seniors on the team.

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 21, 2018, 10:47:15 am
It's a risk. 

Seeding as well.

I would love to see him and his brother Jontay on the court at the same time.  6-11 and 6-10 freshman..

5ACentral

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 09:55:40 am
Defects to the NBA?  That's a crappy way of phrasing it.
Well you can say many things which would come from different people but means the same thing in common talk among people bantering back and forth ... "Defects to, succumbs to, opts out for, chooses the, slides into" and other verbiage.
Gafford will OPT OUT for the NBA rather than return to the Razorbacks, al la Joe Johnson, Portis , who left before their final 1-2 years at the UofA. Talk about scrutiny!!

Oliver

Quote from: King Kong on February 21, 2018, 10:01:10 am
Well, we will still accept the NCAA bid IF they give it to us on Selection Sunday

BassinHawg

Quote from: hulk hog on February 21, 2018, 09:44:27 am
I wouldn't count on Gafford being back. If he is projected top 20 in the draft he will be gone.

As he should, he is not going to learn anything from Mike that will improve his game. The way I see it he has done everything to get where he is with raw talent and needs to get out ASAP before he gets hurt or Mike ruins him!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 21, 2018, 11:03:39 am
  Well you can say many things which would come from different people but means the same thing in common talk among people bantering back and forth ... "Defects to, succumbs to, opts out for, chooses the, slides into" and other verbiage.
Gafford will OPT OUT for the NBA rather than return to the Razorbacks, al la Joe Johnson, Portis , who left before their final 1-2 years at the UofA. Talk about scrutiny!!

"Defects to the nba" sounds like he is abandoning his team and I meant that in a lighthearted way anyway. Wasn't trying to be an ass.

popcornhog

Lol, wut? According to who?
WPS

code red

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 09:39:14 am
I agree.  Crazy thing is there are probably 3-4 other SEC teams this year that are just like us. 
Think he is projected 15 right now...so yeah gone.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

raz1965

The tourney hasn't been determined, several teams fighting an the Razorbacks very much in contention.

txkhog

Quote from: popcornhog on February 21, 2018, 11:58:14 am
Lol, wut? According to who?

According to me and many others that have watched this  flustercuck all year. Plus many experts.

HawgTrough

Quote from: txkhog on February 21, 2018, 12:27:09 pm

According to me and many others that have watched this  flustercuck all year. Plus many experts.
what experts, expert?
WPS

txkhog

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 12:31:45 pm
what experts, expert?
[/quote

Didn't infer I was an expert. Read something besides HV and you'll see many truthful opinions on the state of Arkansas BB program. If you can't see it's dysfunctional that's your problem. Poor recruiting, no adjustments, set in stone substitution pattern no matter the consequence, same old full court man to man defense when it's obvious the other teams take advantage of Hogs poor defense and lastly a dribble around till shot clock runs out and jack a 3 offense.

LJHOG

Quote from: hulk hog on February 21, 2018, 09:44:27 am
I would be surprised if he left.  He is not NBA ready by any stretch of the imagination.

99toLife

Quote from: LJHOG on February 21, 2018, 12:56:13 pm
I would be surprised if he left.  He is not NBA ready by any stretch of the imagination.

Big Money!

HawgTrough

Quote from: txkhog on February 21, 2018, 12:54:00 pm
Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 12:31:45 pm
what experts, expert?
[/quote

Didn't infer I was an expert. Read something besides HV and you'll see many truthful opinions on the state of Arkansas BB program. If you can't see it's dysfunctional that's your problem. Poor recruiting, no adjustments, set in stone substitution pattern no matter the consequence, same old full court man to man defense when it's obvious the other teams take advantage of Hogs poor defense and lastly a dribble around till shot clock runs out and jack a 3 offense.
So basically......no experts are saying that? Thanks
WPS

phadedhawg

meh, it's too soon after a loss to care again. 

Would it be better to miss the NCAAs if it brings change to the basketball program quicker? 

sickboy

Quote from: LJHOG on February 21, 2018, 12:56:13 pm

99% of freshman aren't NBA ready. That doesn't stop kids from leaving every year.

99toLife

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 01:37:39 pm
99% of freshman aren't NBA ready. That doesn't stop kids from leaving every year.

NBA scouts know that and most times their value is based on penitential.