Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did promoting Scotty Thurman bring a swagger

Started by k.c.hawg, November 09, 2017, 05:37:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

to this whole staff out on the road. Or, is this class just a coming together of the stars and right place/right time. It seems like there was an infusion of "let me show you guys how this is done with today's player" from someone or from somewhere. That being said, I'm not discounting what the staff had done in previous years, it just seemed different as this class got put together. You get a decommit from the crown jewel of the class and fear things could turn for the bad and these guys go out and do some of their best work ever to button this thing up as good as it possibly could go. What happened here? Scotty effect, right place/right time, the brand is back, everything coming together, coaches, practice facility, more success last few years?
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 09, 2017, 05:37:45 am
What happened here? Scotty effect, right place/right time, the brand is back, everything coming together, coaches, practice facility, more success last few years?

You pretty much covered all of the bases. Now, with this class locked up, they can narrow their focus to the loaded 2020 and 2021 classes.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Ā 

brenthog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 09, 2017, 06:44:31 am
You pretty much covered all of the bases. Now, with this class locked up, they can narrow their focus to the loaded 2020 and 2021 classes.

Who are the key players in those classes and how do we look with them?

mhuff

Scotty is an action now person. I don't think we would be where we are today without him. They need to triple his salary. We're taking the Energizer Bunny here. We're talking the Ruston Rifle who takes pride in his job and earns his money.

razorback1829

Quote from: mhuff on November 09, 2017, 07:54:59 am
Scotty is an action now person. I don't think we would be where we are today without him. They need to triple his salary. We're taking the Energizer Bunny here. We're talking the Ruston Rifle who takes pride in his job and earns his money.

Haha Scotty is doing good so far but let's slow down. It all starts and ends with CMA. I think perhaps the shake up brought a new energy and urgency to the whole staff in particular. They have been gettin after if the last year (as noted by Recruting Experts) on the road.

Pinto

Quote from: brenthog on November 09, 2017, 07:22:36 am
Who are the key players in those classes and how do we look with them?

That 2020 class is probably going to be the best class to come out of Arkansas in a really long time. They'd take us to another level while they're here playing with the 2018 class as upperclassmen...

HawgsPolo

Quote from: razorback1829 on November 09, 2017, 08:30:52 am
Haha Scotty is doing good so far but let's slow down. It all starts and ends with CMA. I think perhaps the shake up brought a new energy and urgency to the whole staff in particular. They have been gettin after if the last year (as noted by Recruting Experts) on the road.

Budget increases are amazing.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Wardhog85

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone think this is such a great class?  I think it's a really solid class, and it looks like coach Anderson has things going in the right direction, but I don't see this as a program changing recruiting class like some do.

mhuff

Not going to get into my assessment of the rest of the staff.  Will stand on what I said above.

mhuff

Quote from: Wardhog85 on November 09, 2017, 09:20:58 am
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone think this is such a great class?  I think it's a really solid class, and it looks like coach Anderson has things going in the right direction, but I don't see this as a program changing recruiting class like some do.

I think this class will provide the necessary athletes who will actually play defense

navyhog24

This class brings long term stability. These guys will  have 4 years together. That will bring about major chemistry in the years ahead. There aren't Jucos which is a good thing. When they are Juniors, the '20 class will be coming in. You put these guys with last years class and there is reason to see the huge potential for the future. Getting rid of some of the deadbeat seniors who are currently suspended and can't keep out of trouble will do wonders for this team. Yes we need those seniors this year, but the guys in the '18 class have much higher ceilings.

JayHog

It's a top 10 Nationally ranked recruiting class. So not sure what your definition of great is. But being in the top 10 fits my definition of great.

mhuff

Are you a Russian hacker

Ā 

Letsroll1200

The thing about this class is it gives you the ability to be long and athletic at the 2-3 on the defensive end of the floor for the Razorbacks.
This class and last year's class will hopefully translate to a better defensive team for the Razorbacks. They did not sign a guy that is one and done but they did bring in a lot of pieces that if they can continue to develop their basketball skills they're going to be fun to watch.

HognitiveDissonance

I think adding Scotty Thurman to the staff and putting him on the recruiting trail was a good move. A young guy like that, former great college player, a tie to the past.

How much impact is hard to measure and impossible to quantify, or prove, but I'm of the opinion it was only going to be a positive, never a negative, and I think he has helped, yes

MakingPlays

I think Scotty has definitely made a difference, you always see his name attached to guys and them talking about him in interviews.  I think both he and TJ Cleveland are really getting after it.  Both were the lead recruiters in our biggest out of state grabs for this class, Chaney (Thurman) and Embery (Cleveland)

k.c.hawg

My thought when they did it was .....there is only one person you can put out there that made the shot.....and has the ring. And though kids today don't know much about 1994, that team did play in the Bud and they did take out Duke. If there was anything that could tie our history and success back to today, he was on the staff in a non recruiting position. I don't know if it helped but I like what I have seen so far.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

ShadowHawg

One of the things that makes this class exciting is that half of it is from out of state. Shows growth of the program.

hawg66

We heard that the basketball practice facility was needed and many said it was a bogus excuse. The facility is built and recruiting immediately steps up. Hmmmm

I'll give the coaches credit but it seems obvious that the new facility is a big part of the jump in recruiting.

songofthesword

I mean, i kinda agree wiht the guy above.

everyone doesn't get 25 schollys every year. we signed 6 guys.   if you are a power 5 school, and you sign 6 players, and you are not in the top 15 then you're in bad shape

i mean, i like the class. it's a good class.  it's not a great class.   it's the same calibur of player that we signed 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

the class is 20th on 24/7 https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings beind schools with 3-4 players

we literally signed more players than anyone else in the top 50.   and still couldn't crack top 5

and i actuyally  LIKE anderson. I really do. But the praise for this class has gone awol.  Skills is bears replacement.  Joe is a better CJ. We got a guy to replace try thompson in the post.  Moar Wings and a high upside guy in henderson.  and another point guard.  i  mean it's a good vclass. but i don't get this we're doing something we've never done before bit

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawg66 on November 09, 2017, 10:01:41 pm
We heard that the basketball practice facility was needed and many said it was a bogus excuse. The facility is built and recruiting immediately steps up. Hmmmm

I'll give the coaches credit but it seems obvious that the new facility is a big part of the jump in recruiting.
Correlation does not = causation.
Scotty Thurman helps (my opinion). He's just a part of the equation.
A shiny new gym helps. It's just part of the equation.
I can't prove Thurman was a big factor in landing some recruits.
One can't prove a new gym helped land some recruits.
But, no one is going to argue that Thurman/new gym is a bad thing. It's only going to help you. In that vein, I'm all for it.

MakingPlays

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 09, 2017, 11:18:27 pm
But, no one is going to argue that Thurman/new gym is a bad thing. It's only going to help you. In that vein, I'm all for it.

I just want to say you probably have the best user name of all time.

HardingHog

Quote from: songofthesword on November 09, 2017, 11:12:14 pm

everyone doesn't get 25 schollys every year. we signed 6 guys.   if you are a power 5 school, and you sign 6 players, and you are not in the top 15 then you're in bad shape

i mean, i like the class. it's a good class.  it's not a great class.   it's the same calibur of player that we signed 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

the class is 20th on 24/7 https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings beind schools with 3-4 players

we literally signed more players than anyone else in the top 50.   and still couldn't crack top 5

and i actuyally  LIKE anderson. I really do. But the praise for this class has gone awol.  Skills is bears replacement.  Joe is a better CJ. We got a guy to replace try thompson in the post.  Moar Wings and a high upside guy in henderson.  and another point guard.  i  mean it's a good vclass. but i don't get this we're doing something we've never done before bit

I like how its very apparent when the liquor hit you while typing this   ;D  ;D I kid I kid

hawg66

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 09, 2017, 11:18:27 pm
The thing is a year ago people thought Cleveland was a waste of bench space and now he's being praised in this thread for his recruiting. What changed?  Thurman is one of my all time favorites. I'm glad he's a full time coach now. Like you said all we can do is speculate about the impact of adding him. I just feel the new facility is a bigger reason for the uptick in recruiting. Particularly with out of state recruits, guys who didn't grow up Hog fans.

Ā 

hawgmasta

What I like is the second ranked in the SEC.

razorback1829

A lot of solid pieces, some with the possibility to develop into pro talent with a class this big. Everyone brings something different to the table. Just because they aren't top 50 kids doesn't mean they aren't talented. A lot of those kids don't pan out either. But the baby hogs will be fun to watch and develop over the years.

BannerMountainMan

Who cares what the recruiting services say, what we got are players that fit in CMA's system and that is the best thing that can happen.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 10, 2017, 11:58:07 am
Who cares what the recruiting services say, what we got are players that fit in CMA's system and that is the best thing that can happen.

100% agree on this.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Happy for Scotty he is doing well.  Great person and representative of the UA. 

Perceived uptick in recruiting has been helped by:
In state talent
More effort from the staff (won't get into why this wasn't the case for several years - in the past now)
Practice facility certainly doesn't hurt.  Had to have it.  Took a little too long because we had to build a fancy track stadium, tennis stadium, softball, soccer, ...
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Paul

I've noticed Scotty mentioned on a lot of recruits. I'd like to see Mike shake up the staff more.  It's easy to get complacent. Maybe having ur job on the line gets ur butt off the couch & on the road recruiting

niels_boar

If you look at the class calculator, we got 3 points for Joe, less than 1 for Phillips, and 23 for Henderson, which should tell you just how much attention you should pay to the score.  I really like Henderson, but I highly doubt that he is 40 times better than Phillips. Brachen Hazen got 2 points.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: MakingPlays on November 10, 2017, 01:07:36 am
I just want to say you probably have the best user name of all time.
Thanks, but flattery will get you nowhere....especially on an anonymous message board :)

songofthesword

neither did i say that signing this type of class was bad or we had to do better.  everyone is putting words in my mouth

I actually, don't want recruiting to get that much better than it is becasue then you deal with one and done's and arkansas isn't a school that can reload. yet.

we need to live in that 30-150 range of player.

HogFoo

Hmm, well the class is a top 10 class.  Yeah, there may not be a 1& done with the class, but there is a lot of potential talent.  And with what we have returning next season,  i think the mix of the two classes will be very very good!  If Gafford comes back, and i really think he will.  the team will be terrific!     Gafford with chaney will be big inside combo!  id like to see how this year ends, but i predict it ends with deep run into the tournament!  i can see Henderson getting here and putting on a lot of good weight like Gafford did and i can see Joe adding some good weight when he gets here.  That will help them a lot!  It'll be a very good team!  i predict next years class mixed with what we'll have returning, especially with Gafford coming back, will be a final four team.  watch and see!  =-)
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

rude1

I agree that this class is no where great  historically for this program, but it is the best class that the current staff has assembled since being here. Not long on bluechip talent but good players down the roster with nice upside and no scrambling and landing projects to finish out the roster.

Hogs49ers

I agree with this, and to add on to this point - not only did we get players that fit in CMA's system, we got the high end athletic and long players that fit into CMA's system, most of all of them were option #1 based on the positions and players we recruited, rather than getting option #2, #3, or #4 like in years past. 

This train is definitely trending up and if you cannot see this as the amazing and perfect fitting class that this is, then I feel like you are just playing devils advocate to argue and are moving the goal posts.  Before it was that "CMA could not recruit any 4 star type talent out of state or that did not have any connections to our program" and then we go land at least 2 high end out of state players and all of the sudden it is changing to "Mike just cannot get the 5 star 1 and done type players here" or "he can't get a top 10 type class..."

Can we just all be happy for once and realize that this is a great signing class and think about the fact that Mike has finished in the top 3 in the SEC twice and getting to the SEC finals twice in the last 3 years, all with much lesser talent than what CMA is bringing in now and looking like in the future as well??
SCREW Vandy!

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

USChog

Arkansas is just heading in the right direction with CMA. Him bringing on Scotty helped, but we are also winning and playing at a high level. That helps everything.

I believe one of the biggest things that helps Arkansas with recruiting is seeing CMA system working. When this system works, a lot of players get a lot of minutes and a lot of points. When a player knows he can come in, play a lot, score a lot, yet also not have to do everything himself it excites recruits.

I don't actually know if that is the case, it is just my hypothesis. Whatever they are doing it is working and I hope we see more of it.

1highhog

Lol, well lets look at when things really started heating up as far as recruiting goes.  I was on the bus as far as it's about time to let MA go before Thurman showed up, right after he showed up the recruiting started picking up and has been getting better ever since.  I think he has been a great addition to this staff and I hope he stays here for a long time. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 1highhog on November 17, 2017, 10:59:58 am
Lol, well lets look at when things really started heating up as far as recruiting goes.  I was on the bus as far as it's about time to let MA go before Thurman showed up, right after he showed up the recruiting started picking up and has been getting better ever since.  I think he has been a great addition to this staff and I hope he stays here for a long time.
this recruiting has been in the works since 3 years ago man beside Chaney and maybe Embery

1highhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 17, 2017, 11:08:47 am
this recruiting has been in the works since 3 years ago man beside Chaney and maybe Embery

IMO Thurman has been the biggest difference, just my opinion, yours may differ.

010HogFan

It's not a top 10 class. But it is a good class. People discount that these guys already have chemistry because they have played together.

jgphillips3

JayHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 17, 2017, 01:49:42 pm
It's not a top 10 class. But it is a good class. People discount that these guys already have chemistry because they have played together.

I think it was rated a top 10 class, though

Matt Burks

If you remember back to Nolan's 94 team, that wasn't filled with as many big time stars in comparison to the 91- 92 team. That team of Mayberry, Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Ron Hurry, IBM, etc. was an elite team. On paper, the 94 team didn't appear to have as many individual stars as that Mayberry-Day-Miller team, but they fit Nolan's style perfectly as a team, and they beat a very good Duke team for the National Championship. Having a bunch of stars is great, but sometimes it's that great team of lesser "stars" that know how to better work as a well oiled machine that can get the better results. For the record, I'm not saying that the 94 team was better than the 91-92, rather both we're great but different on a "star" level.

Cure

Scotty helped, but getting a practice facility was the key.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 09, 2017, 12:50:25 pm
I think adding Scotty Thurman to the staff and putting him on the recruiting trail was a good move. A young guy like that, former great college player, a tie to the past.

How much impact is hard to measure and impossible to quantify, or prove, but I'm of the opinion it was only going to be a positive, never a negative, and I think he has helped, yes

People all over the SEC footprint know Scotty Thurman. I had a guy in Birmingham talk about him non stop the other day. I haven't followed BB since Nolan was fired. I am just now coming back. It feels good.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Kevin McPherson

Scotty has been a plus, no doubt. But Barford, Macon, Gafford, and Hall were all on board before Scotty was promoted. Heck, 2019 commit Justice Hill was already committed. The staff as a whole has done an excellent job working together, all play a part with each recruit, but recruiting was already on the up-swing when Scotty was promoted.

Being the lead guy for Reggie Chaney and Jordan Phillips is a significant feather in Scotty's cap, but Melvin Watkins has been the lead recruiter for most of the in-state guys, and TJ Cleveland brought in the likes of Barford, Keyshawn Embery, CJ Jones, and Jalen Harris.

In the end, Mike Anderson makes the offers and is the closer. He's not gotten nearly enough credit from fans for the job he's done as a recruiter.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 17, 2017, 01:49:42 pm

Yes, it is a top 10 class.

Ham Sandwich

Well, bc it finished in the top 10 first of all. Second, it fits every need we have and all of them are guys that can play early. None of them are project type of players. They will also likely be here for 4 years. Which will keep us in the NCAA's on a consistent basis which we have been clamoring for, for a long time.