Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meyer Pullling a MJ door open to return

Started by 98hogs, December 27, 2009, 03:01:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadHog

Indefinite leave of absence....First resigning because of a heart muscle issue,now leave of absence for a headache causing cyst....things dont add up.

stan the man

That will not do the football team any good.  Unless he plans on coming back sometime next season that could hurt the program a lot. Just think what it would do to our program if Petrino did that.

hogfan_no1

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Piggie

Is there something in the drinking water? I remember when Billy Donovan said he was leaving too, but he stayed. Maybe they are trying the Lane Kiffin approach and creating attention toward themselves, lots of drama. (Seriously, I do hope he will be ok health wise.)
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

HognVA

Donny2665

Heath issues my foot, Urban knows that the next few years is gonna be hard for him to achieve what he has achieved over the last few years and anyone in that situation would start having "health issues" so they wont get their arse FIRED.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

NWASooner

I hope they don't plan on finding a HC replacement.  The best they'll get is an interim.

Break & Run

Anyone who says that he's not having 2nd thoughts about coaching because of health problems is down right pathetic.  It's obvious he has health problems.  I mean, you can tell he gets completely drained during football games and he looks pathetic right now.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

IndyHog76

I agree with you completely.  There is no secret information that anyone is keeping from this.  He needs to resolve some problems he is having with his heart.  If he can't do this, I'm sure he will step down.  If he gets things in order, he'll be back coaching when healthy.

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on December 27, 2009, 04:23:44 pm
Anyone who says that he's not having 2nd thoughts about coaching because of health problems is down right pathetic.  It's obvious he has health problems.  I mean, you can tell he gets completely drained during football games and he looks pathetic right now.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: THE BAND GEEK on December 27, 2009, 04:23:44 pm

You think a good ol' "Two Year Pass" might make him feel better??
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

Rebel Fan

Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on December 27, 2009, 04:35:48 pm
You think a good ol' "Two Year Pass" might make him feel better??

It just might. It's worked before.
JUST IMAGINE IF THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BLACK PLAYER MIKE LEACH LOCKED IN THE SHED.  JESSE JACKSON, OPRAH WINFREY, AL SHARPTON YOUR JETS ARE FUELED AND READY FOR DEPARTURE TO LUBBOCK.

Boarcephus

Seems cut and dried to me.  He enjoys what he's doing where he's doing it and he doesn't want to give it up.  I'm not doubting he has health issues and working 100 hour weeks aren't helping them any.  If he feels, as evidently his AD does, he can take a year off and address them and come back good as new that's what he'll do.  Coach K did about the same thing at Duke a few years ago.

Sounds like a good plan to me and something most anyone on the board would do if placed in a similar situation.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

3kgthog

What's to think about? If his doctor gave him information that was bad enough that he advised him to quit then there should be no discussion. I realize it'd be hard to give up something you love, but what does he love more, his family or his job?

secneahog

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 27, 2009, 05:11:28 pm
What's to think about? If his doctor gave him information that was bad enough that he advised him to quit then there should be no discussion. I realize it'd be hard to give up something you love, but what does he love more, his family or his job?

im not buying into none of the STRESS crap... ive seen people wake up everyday in this bad economy and fight to make ends meet..really STRESS out on how they was gonna buy nice presents for their children...it must be really nice..to sit back an smile...an soak up that florida sun..an coach and make MILLIONS..and when ur done.make a big EXCUSE about "stress"....and everybody feel sorry for you..... 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Tusks

first hootie takes the wildcat to the nfl and now he's taking the free pass to the whole SEC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogs-n-Roses

Meyer and Fla. just couldn't stand Bama (or anyone else for that matter) taking the spotlight for even a moment. They lost on the field, Bama stands to get all the pub this week but Fla. has drama to get them back the limelight. Has any school in history owned the press like Fla. for this long? I am sick of Fla., Tebow, Meyer.... Short of Meyer falling out (on camera) and watching him almost die in a hospital, I ain't buying all of this!

Now, if the storyline here would have been that Meyer and Tebow were to be married in a private ceremony held on the Gainsville campus where a fight for Tebow's man love broke out between Meyer and Mark May, then maybe, just maybe this would have been believable!

secneahog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 27, 2009, 06:15:53 pm
Meyer and Fla. just couldn't stand Bama (or anyone else for that matter) taking the spotlight for even a moment. They lost on the field, Bama stands to get all the pub this week but Fla. has drama to get them back the limelight. Has any school in history owned the press like Fla. for this long? I am sick of Fla., Tebow, Meyer.... Short of Meyer falling out (on camera) and watching him almost die in a hospital, I ain't buying all of this!

Now, if the storyline here would have been that Meyer and Tebow were to be married in a private ceremony held on the Gainsville campus where a fight for Tebow's man love broke out between Meyer and Mark May, then maybe, just maybe this would have been believable!

haha...
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

oldbear

Quote from: hogfan_no1 on December 27, 2009, 03:33:15 pm
Does the name Brett Favre ring a bell?

This was my first thought.  It seems like Favre wants to make sure everyone shows him the right amount of love each year and he has to create a circus by publicly proclaiming that he is thinking about retiring.  If the team he is on doesn't show the appropriate amount of love, he will retire and find a way to go to one that will love on him.

Now Meyer, a great coach much like Favre is a great quarterback, is too stressed.  He goes out in public and announces that it is just too much.  He is compared to Jim Brown, Joe Gibbs, etc., and he decides it's okay.  I am not as stressed anymore now that I know that everyone still loves me when I lose to Bama.

Get over yourself.  Do your job.  When you really make a decision that you will stick with, let me know.  Until then, keep it between you and your family and close friends.

hoglady

I just have a hard time feeling sorry for a coach who is too stressed, while making millions a year. Someone who is financially set for the rest of his life.

Maybe he needs to take a step back and get a good dose of reality. There are parents in this country who don't know how they are going to feed their kids tonight, or if they'll have a job tomorrow, or if they can make their house payment. That is real stress.
I hope his health issues get resolved - but I don't feel sorry for him or believe the stress of his life is any worse than anyone else's.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

secneahog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 27, 2009, 07:46:28 pm
Stress is self-inflicted. A guy making $10m per year can be more stressed than the guy pulling minimum wage or vice versa. Money has little to do with it, mentality is the key.

well hes 45 yrs old..if hes stepping down now..then it is VERY serious..an dont need to coach the sugar bowl..an never coach again..  which would be cool.

oldbear

Stress is self-inflicted. A guy making $10m per year can be more stressed than the guy pulling minimum wage or vice versa. Money has little to do with it, mentality is the key.

Which is exactly why he needs to get over himself.  Certainly it is stressful to try to remain at the top of your profession, but he needs to get sight of the big picture.  Very few coaches ever see the pinnacle.  He has more money, more success and more resources than just about any coach in the nation.  Save some money; enjoy the ride; understand that it won't last forever; and appreciate the affect, if any, that you have on young people.

Thankfulness and humility is medicinal to stress.

moses_007

hoglady

I agree with you on that to a degree. But not all stress is self-inflicted.

Meyer and Florida handled this whole situation about as poorly as it could be handled.
They have taken the limelight away from bowl teams for the last 2 days, for what??
Nothing that couldn't have waited until after the Sugar Bowl.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

secneahog

Quote from: hoglady on December 27, 2009, 07:55:32 pm

I agree with you on that to a degree. But not all stress is self-inflicted.

Meyer and Florida handled this whole situation about as poorly as it could be handled.
They have taken the limelight away from bowl teams for the last 2 days, for what??
Nothing that couldn't have waited until after the Sugar Bowl.

good point..

jfred59

Wonder how much of a raise a "Leave" will increase his paycheck?

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!