Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did Urban decide to leave?

Started by Hogsfan1981, December 27, 2009, 12:37:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsfan1981

I know they said he is in perfect health but at the same time he is stressed out enough to have visited the hospital. This is confusing to me. And in 5 years this has never been picked up by any fans or reporters? I have never heard anyone mention his health being in question.

Anyone else heard anything about why he is leaving now and not after his last championship? I know he is close to Tebow but would he have risked his health to stay one more year for him. The whole thing just seems strange.

hawgsav1

Allegedly, it has to do with some kind of heart defect.  Originally, some rumors said cancer, but I don't think they've been substantiated.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Porkem

The doctors said he has a muscle defect in his heart.  He's been having chest pains, headaches, naseau....severe migraines on the sidelines during games.  He's been hospitalized many times in the last few weeks.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 27, 2009, 12:38:17 am
Allegedly, it has to do with some kind of heart defect.  Originally, some rumors said cancer, but I don't think they've been substantiated.

Ah now a heart defect would make sense with the stress and all. As for cancer I hope that is not the case. It would not seem likely with the way it has been describe so far.

hawgsav1

Some of the more cynical among us have suggested that after losing the majority of his staff (e.g. Billy Gonzales to LSU, Strong to Louisville, Mullen to to MSU) and 19 seniors including Tim Tebow, he is using this as an excuse to step away from the game for a few years and find another program ripe for doing well. 

However, in UM's book "Urban's Way", he mentioned that he nearly passed out from chest pains while coaching Utah against Oregon. 

Again, don't shoot the messenger.  These are just things I've read from ESPN, SEC boards, etc.

Hogsfan1981

I will admit being a person who had not heard much about his health that the first thing I thought was he was bailing. I mean what would you do? If he leaves now he is legend.

However after hearing more I think maybe he just waited till a good time to leave and with most of the guys he started with leaving after this game I think it is easier for him to walk away. Health is the main issue but it was not the only reason. If that was true then he would have left sooner. I think he stayed for the players.

hoopitup3

A part of me feels sorry for Florida, it's gonna be hard to find a better coach.

Then again, it's better for us. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 27, 2009, 12:54:35 am
I will admit being a person who had not heard much about his health that the first thing I thought was he was bailing. I mean what would you do? If he leaves now he is legend.

However after hearing more I think maybe he just waited till a good time to leave and with most of the guys he started with leaving after this game I think it is easier for him to walk away. Health is the main issue but it was not the only reason. If that was true then he would have left sooner. I think he stayed for the players.
totally agree...if a stroke or a heart attack were eminent or even an educated possibility, why in the hell would he even coach the Sugar Bowl ?   you and I seem to be on the same wave length
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogsfan1981

I feel for Urban. I feel for his family. But screw Florida. In five years they have lost what 10 times? :puke: Let them stew for a little bit. They will be back to winning in no time and Urban is still staying with the program for now.

Hogsfan1981

If there were no threads about Petrino possibly taking the job to Florida. Then that would mean you could go to bed happy and Razorback football was without fans.

I mean if you really expect fans not to talked about one of the biggest announcements in college football 2009 then I don't know what we would talk about. People are discussing on a Razorback message board about a coaching job that could be offered to a RAZORBACK coach. No one knows including you what will happen so if you don't want to read it then don't pushed down with your right index finger. Your like the fans that yell when you stand up at games to cheer and block their view. You been here to long and you think we have to be like you to be a fan.

Triple T

One of my friends thinks Urban screwed a secretary and is being forced to resign.

Lol.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 27, 2009, 12:54:35 am

I don't think anyone can make a judgment here.  It's very possible that CUM is just playing everyone for fools by making his heart problem seem bigger than it is.  Or it could be he played things very close to his vest and just realized his health was more important to him.  Until more details come out, no one can definitely say anything.

Hogsfan1981

I think we may get a better glimpse in the future. I am sure he will sit down with some big name somewhere on tv after this year and tell about it all.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 27, 2009, 01:26:58 am
I think we may get a better glimpse in the future. I am sure he will sit down with some big name somewhere on tv after this year and tell about it all.

No doubt it will be spun in a more positive manner for Urban Meyer.  If he does return to coaching in a year, I can already see the huge divide between the national perception of Meyer and the local fan base perception of Meyer.

jman

ESPN mentioned tonight that Urban has lived with a Brain Cyst for over 20 years now.  It has always been thought to not be a danger to his health.  But who knows, sometimes they tell you your ok today then tomorrow they say you have brain cancer and have 2 weeks.  A cyst on your brain would always be troublesome I'd think.  Things like that are unpredictable and can appear benign for many years only to turn out to be malignant cancer.  I hope thats not what has happened, but something caused a 45 year old man in his prime to say......I dont need it anymore.

tiber

I don't feel for either Urban Meyer or Florida.  In fact I wish significant pain and suffering on the Florida program.

Lil Wayne

Urban Meyer is a good coach and you dont have to like them to realize how much florida has done for the SEC in recent years. Kinda sad to see the mighty fall so fast :razorback:

babywhiz

Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

Porkbutt Gary

This all sounds reasonable as reason to  step down, but.... The wording of his statement "faith and Family", the timing,( why not wait until after their bowl game, it's only 1 more week) and the fact that he is being "reassigned" within the university, that's language they use when a coach has been let go, surely he's not going to still be paid his salary if "He" decided to quit?  It just doesn't add up?
Once a  Razorback, Always a Razorback  ... Unless you're a Nutt!

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: jman on December 27, 2009, 03:19:16 am
ESPN mentioned tonight that Urban has lived with a Brain Cyst for over 20 years now.  It has always been thought to not be a danger to his health.  But who knows, sometimes they tell you your ok today then tomorrow they say you have brain cancer and have 2 weeks.  A cyst on your brain would always be troublesome I'd think.  Things like that are unpredictable and can appear benign for many years only to turn out to be malignant cancer.  I hope thats not what has happened, but something caused a 45 year old man in his prime to say......I dont need it anymore.
Brain cysts aren't going to turn into malignant tumors but they can grow and cause serious problems.

Lake City Hog

I think he announced it early for several reasons, gives Florida more time to get a replacement in place for recruiting, it removes one more area of stress in his life and it also gives them team a week to plan his going away party against Cincy.

moses_007

December 27, 2009, 11:11:03 am #21 Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:12:59 am by moses_007
Meyer was making almost $4 million a year, so he could retire and never work another day in his life.  I'm surprised more coaches aren't walking away after about 10 years or so and retiring wealthy.

Things were a bit different when Broyles, Bowden and Paterno started coaching, when coaches were only making $50K a year.

3kgthog

So he's lived with a brain cyst for years and he was having headaches, migraines, and nausea. Methinks it is a brain issue and the heart related issues were simply stress and an easy smokescreen to hide the real reason for his retirement. Conspiracy theorists unite!