Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urban Meyer stepping down as head coach at Fla.

Started by HognotinMemphis, December 26, 2009, 05:54:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ebay286

3-10 in Atlanta and 12-12 at Arkansas.  Florida is sure to be knocking on the CBP's door.

ronmahony

Quote from: El Puerco on December 26, 2009, 06:34:11 pm
I heard they already contacted him.  Either way, I think Ole Miss better give him more money and a lengthy contract with a HUGE buy out.

Nah, he probably already contacted them though.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

El Puerco

Quote from: ronmahony on December 26, 2009, 06:49:19 pm
Nah, he probably already contacted them though.

I'm trying to build internet buzz.  It was just confirmed that they made Nutt an offer.  I heard he has already told his assistants that they will be coaching the Cotton Bowl alone again.  The recruit's game tapes have already been removed from their offices.

Tejano Jawg

I'm wondering why the word came down right now, meaning right this minute. The Sugar Bowl is just days away.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

The Hog

Quote from: ebay286 on December 26, 2009, 06:48:28 pm
3-10 in Atlanta and 12-12 at Arkansas.  Florida is sure to be knocking on the CBP's door.
From the Nutt years to Petrino's two years, it is a 200% increase and competitive.  Think about it.
Automatic RUN!

The Hawg Marshal

The Hog

Automatic RUN!

ebay286

Quote from: The Hog on December 26, 2009, 06:52:21 pm
From the Nutt years to Petrino's two years, it is a 200% increase and competitive.  Think about it.

That may be the worst math I have ever seen someone try to conjure up.

The Hog

Quote from: ebay286 on December 26, 2009, 06:59:12 pm
That may be the worst math I have ever seen someone try to conjure up.
So you are saying we are not at least 200% better with Petrino than Nutt?  SU.
Automatic RUN!

The Galloping Ghost

This is not something out of the blue...although it appears that way.

The Meyer staff stopped contacting their 2011 recruits over 2 weeks ago. Some were speculating a change because of the sudden communication shut-down.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Mullen, Spurrier, Shanahan, Stoops should be the top four.  One of those 4 will bite if asked.  Just hard to figure who will get first offer.  It will be interesting to see how the Nutt camp plays this.  He has got to find someone at FLA to actually talk to his Agent concerning this job.  Even this would qualify.   Sexton calls the Fla ADs office and says Nutt is interested.  The secretary says they aren't interested and that qualifies as FLA folks talking to Nutt' camp about the job.  The SEC just lost one of the best HCs to come along in a very long time.  Meyer can beat you with his players and then trade players with you and beat you with your players.  Only Saban in the SEC has proven he can coach at the level of Meyer.

The Hog

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on December 26, 2009, 07:07:49 pm

The Meyer staff stopped contacting their 2011 recruits over 2 weeks ago. Some were speculating a change because of the sudden communication shut-down.
Got a link on that statement?  Just inquiring.
Automatic RUN!

Zen_Hog

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on December 26, 2009, 07:07:49 pm

I don't believe it considering they just offered this 2011 QB about 2 Monday's ago.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/player-Marquise-Williams-89421

The Galloping Ghost

Nope...no link. Just personal info I gathered from some recruits parents.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

The Hog

Automatic RUN!

hoginvolcountry

I heard someone suggest Fulmer for the Gators....wouldn't that be funny!

The Hog

Quote from: hoginvolcountry on December 26, 2009, 07:16:55 pm
I heard someone suggest Fulmer for the Gators....wouldn't that be funny!
Go for it Phil!  This would be hilarious!
Automatic RUN!

blacksuit

Hopefully Meyer can take a year or two off and get this health issue resolved, and return to the game. His presence enhanced college football.

The coaching search will be fascinating to watch. The Florida athletic department has earned a first rate reputation over the last few years. We can only hope that they don't target our coach. If I recall, Petrino agreed in his contract to not take a different job in the SECW, but he made no such promise about the east. It will be interesting to see what route they go: NFL coach like Shanahan? High profile lateral hire like Stoops or Petrino? Up and comer?

Zen_Hog

Quote from: blacksuit on December 26, 2009, 08:16:17 pm
Hopefully Meyer can take a year or two off and get this health issue resolved, and return to the game. His presence enhanced college football.

The coaching search will be fascinating to watch. The Florida athletic department has earned a first rate reputation over the last few years. We can only hope that they don't target our coach. If I recall, Petrino agreed in his contract to not take a different job in the SECW, but he made no such promise about the east. It will be interesting to see what route they go: NFL coach like Shanahan? High profile lateral hire like Stoops or Petrino? Up and comer?

Shanahan seems like a lock for the Redskins job.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/26/zimmers-name-surfaces-as-potential-defensive-coordinator-in-dc/

EnemyOfMojo

ESPN mentioned his "priorities" and his "faith." Has he been hanging with Tiger? I feel like some more footwear is due to drop.

jimgenie

berryhog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 26, 2009, 06:51:42 pm
I'm wondering why the word came down right now, meaning right this minute. The Sugar Bowl is just days away.

Maybe give them time to fill the job since it is a dead period in recruiting ?

razorbrass

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 26, 2009, 06:25:39 pm
He's 45.  Most likely exhausted and wondering whether there's more to life than his job.  Not that much different than many of us, but he's probably in a better position to take a sabbatical.  Best of luck to him.  He seems like an incredible person.
No kidding.  Must be nice to be able to make decisions like this without any concern for finances.  Hope it is nothing serious but there are a lot of people that have stressful jobs and don't get compensated fairly for what they do.  Not only do they have that stress but the stress of trying to make ends meet.  Like I said I hope it is nothing serious but it is hard for me to feel sorry for a guy who can walk away just because he has been working hard for the last 20 years. 
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

blacksuit

There's this, via Dr. Saturday: http://twitter.com/osgators/status/7075670536

"Just talked to a Florida staff member -- Urban was in hospital at least twice this month for chest pains, nausea and sickness."

Seems his health problems have intensified. This undercuts speculation about infidelity or some other family problem. His problems might be so severe that he was forced to step down. Of course, he coached through a brain cyst and severe headaches so who knows.

deshahawg

I just wonder if Tebow was coming back if he would be so sick that he would have to quit?

Zen_Hog

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on December 26, 2009, 07:12:59 pm
Nope...no link. Just personal info I gathered from some recruits parents.

Funny considering players who were committed didn't even know about this.

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1032775

I don't think you should be making stuff up just so you can make everyone believe you knew Urban Meyer was thinking of stepping down.

Tusks

hey i know a 4-7 coach that parlayed that miserable record in a BCS school job.....the guy has never won a conference championship or gone to a BCS bowl game.....and he's still coaching away at a BCS school for around $2M and change a year.

stranger things can happen.

Quote from: ebay286 on December 26, 2009, 06:48:28 pm

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Greyhands

Well I always said it would be a good thing if Urban wasnt the coach at Florida but i thought he would go to ND or something i didnt really want the dude to get sick.

But on a side note ,Hopefully they hire some one that totally destroys everything Meyer has built.

Hawgrox

Whataboar™

Quote from: fordhog on December 26, 2009, 06:32:48 pm
Me too. He is awesome.
However ... sometimes you feel like a Nutt, sometimes you don't.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: baydor on December 26, 2009, 06:13:41 pm
Nutt has taken his name out of the running.

Bet he didn't have to reach too deeply into the box to find it.

cbjagman

Quote from: sggrant323 on December 26, 2009, 05:57:27 pm
and Houston Nutt's agent lights up the phone....
I certainly agree with this. With the winning and fighting attitude that the Dale brings to the table the possible interest by the Gators would be understandable. Besides, the Hooter does a masterful job of recruiting in Fla. Look at all the top notch All-Americans he's lured from there.