Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where does this recruiting adulation come from?

Started by Razorfox, December 23, 2009, 09:27:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

I want someone to tell me what is wrong with this class! We have 1 4* and 13 3* players, I am not including the kicker.

Some of our most productive players right now are 3* recruits, Dennis Johnson is as good as any back we have. Don't argue, look it up, he is 2nd yds/carry and 3rd yds /game. David Gordon 3* and Elton Ford 2* are about as good as we have in the secondary and Cobi Hamilton 3* is proving to be a very good receiver. Lavunce Askew, Zack Stadther and Tenarius Wright all 3* are all contributing on defense and look to get better every year.

If the 3* players in this class are of the same quality of the 3* recruits from 08 and 09 we should be thrilled. We are still on several highly ranked players and will finish in very good shape.

Now, in response to the difference between Petrino and the services, Petrino has gotten involved with some of these kids before they were such highly regarded recruits. The Smith kid from NC, looks like he was our 3rd commit and now after being named MVP of the All-Star Game, he has become a very hot commodity. Petrino saw his talent and offered before he got so hot, same thing with the DT from Texas. Sadly we may not get either of them because they have become such hot recruits all of a sudden.

Again, I ask for someone to point out to me the problem with our class as it stands right now.

Oklahawg

Quote from: regi on December 23, 2009, 04:48:54 pm
You figure this out. You, like others, are all in type of guys. What ever Petrino does, you are all in, don't question, just shake your palm palms and cheer. I have stated many times, the guy is a great offensive mind and a decided upgrade from Hootie, but to think he is a better talent evaluator than Saban, Miles, Richt, Brooks and Meyer is a stretch. You have ZERO evidence to back this up.

And we have zero evidence to suggest otherwise. What we have is a rather small body of work that most will accept (Petrino's 2-year record at UA...funny, many accept other coaches' body of work but not Petrino's). I know few who would suggest that LSU and Auburn were not as talented as UA the last two years but that didn't stop Petrino. We played Florida as well as anyone not named Alabama with a serious shortage of talent by comparison.

At some point we have to give Petrino SOMETHING.

Its the argument made by the Nuttzies a few years ago...that Nutt couldn't have had those bowl teams if he wasn't good at something. After much deliberations and too many jokes about pick-up hoops and texting, it was determined that Nutt was a master motivator (and that has been re-emphasized at Ole Miss) capable of getting an inferior team up for a game that He helped them believe they could win. Rally the troops is an asset.

QuoteOur current class is not what Petrino drew up in July and August after Spring and Summer evals. The question is why the guys we wanted said no. Depth chart? Defensive staff? what ever they said no.

Really? How do you know? Here are the names we appear to have added to the wishlist in the last 30-60 days. Are you suggesting they are somehow "inferior" to the recruits who were offered early and committed similarly?
  Mireles (WR, FL)
  Humphrey (DT, TX)
  Lemonier (DE, FL)
  Schwab (OT, CA)
  Jones (DE, FL)
  Smith (DT, FL)
  Williams (WR, LA)
  Smith (DE, HI)
  Langley (DT, MS?)
  Hawaii teammates led by Akuna

Now, call me a bit of an optimist if you must, but if those are "plan 'B' scrambles" then UA recruiting is just fine. Numerous 4-star players in that list. I'm not padding a list of names a gooroo called; I'm using players who have confirmed to Richard Davenport they plan to visit UA (or have already).

QuoteWhat are your credintials oh wise one? Head cheerleader?

My credentials: I have been around Hogville a long time and my body of moderating and posting apparently keeps the boss happy.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Razorfox

tiber,

Seriously, you haven't seen the adulation posts?  There are at least 5 on the front page.  They say things like "Petrino recruiting is exciting" or other things to that affect.  Don't accuse me of making up something when it's plain as day for people to see. 

Ftsmithmike

We dont know what our plan A vs plan B guys look like. But U can bet whiffed on many plan A guys. The question is not if we are having a down year but why. Only our coaches know how far down the wish list weve gone. And I would trade ten SEC defenses right now for TCUs. Of course we would need the coach as well.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

tiber

Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 05:23:54 pm
tiber,

Seriously, you haven't seen the adulation posts?  There are at least 5 on the front page.  They say things like "Petrino recruiting is exciting" or other things to that affect.  Don't accuse me of making up something when it's plain as day for people to see. 

Seriously, there's one post from a guy that has 55 posts in 3 years that can possibly be construed as adulation (by somebody with no sense of humor or sarcasm that is).

The rest is... oh, I don't know... fairly sensible.

I asked you two clear questions much earlier in this thread that you seemingly can't answer.

You're a concern troll.  It's easy to accuse you of that, and today I felt compelled to point that out.  Others have as well, they just haven't come out and said it in the same manner as I have.

Razorfox

What questions did you ask?  I'll answer them right now. 

Lake City Hog

Razor, I asked a question also, care to answer it?
What exactly is wrong with our current commit list?

tiber

Try reading your own thread.

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 12:05:46 pm
In regards to recruiting (only), answer this -

When compared with the previous staff's recruiting efforts and subsequent rankings (both initial rankings and those for players that actually contributed to the program once recruited), how do YOU feel about the efforts made by THIS staff so far?

You can look at it any way you like... perceived star value during the recruiting process, signability of said recruits, or contribution levels on the field.

Look at the hits and misses from the previous staff, look at the hits and misses from the current staff.  Factor in also the recruiting history of our HC while at Louisville... both initial rankings and (especially) re-rankings.  Don't forget the limited appeal of Louisville to recruits.

I think this research might have taken less time than what you spent typing out your initial post.  If after all that you don't get why people are happy with recruiting so far (especially when compared with the last 10 years prior), then you'll just have to take it on faith or take it somewhere else. 

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 12:58:59 pm
Can you point out instances where people are proclaiming Petrino a 'king of recruiting'? 

People are 'happy' with the progress being made, and they're 'optimistic' with regards to recruiting and the statistical history of the HC in recruiting with the tools given to him.

Is that the 'adulation' you speak of?

TX HOG

December 23, 2009, 06:03:08 pm #58 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:05:57 pm by TX HOG
Quote from: lchog on December 23, 2009, 05:59:16 pm
Razor, I asked a question also, care to answer it?
What exactly is wrong with our current commit list?

I'll answer...

Nothing is exactly "wrong" with the recruiting class.  with that being said, it is a bit discouraging to know that a bunch of kids Petrino offered have currently decided to go elsewhere.  Petrino evaluated them and wanted them, then so do i.  so when these kids go somewhere else...yeah it's kinda discouraging.  That's it... or atleast as i'm concerned.

regi

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 04:53:38 pm
I'm not the one you're calling an 'all in' kind of guy, but I imagine you would throw me in that category as well.  I'm not, but who cares.

Where do you see someone saying that Petrino is a better talent evaluator than Saban?  Can you point that out?

Who would you rather have at the helm of the Razorbacks right now?  Is there someone available we should be looking at for an upgrade?
Throw up a name and help us all out.

Do a little research, don't be lazy, and you can find post after post in this forum of ..."Petrino is a superior talent evaluator and don't worry about recruiting rankings, yada, yada" Is Petrino better than Nutt? Absolutely. The problem I have is their are some in this forum who think that Petrino is hands down, no question a better talent evaluator than his competition in the SEC. So good in fact, he can take lesser (perceived, nobody truely knows) ranked recruits and beat guys. Well the Guys he needs to beat are Saban, Meyer, Richt, Miles, Spurrier and Kiffin etc. We have no concrete evidence that this is true.

What we know is that only 6 teams have won the SEC championship since 92 and all of them routinely have top 20 or better recruiting classes. Don't ignore history.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 11:33:25 am
Gonzo,

Not being impatient, just making people back up what they say, which is in most cases just emotionally driven fluff, hopes, and dreams that has little to no facts in it. 

For example, your post says that as our record improves, so will recruiting.  That was the story last year and yet we had a better recruiting year after a 5-7 season than after a 7-5 season. 

I don't take away from the fact that the man is a genius or that he can coach.  This is totally about recruiting and the people on this board and their reactions to it. 

Typically Arkansas' classes rank somewhere in the early 20s to early 30s.  What we should expect is that as we have success on the field that our recruiting should improve over a period of time.

Expecting more wins in a year=better recruiting class  is foolish.

And its not like we went from 5-7 to 10-2.  We improved to one game above .500.

Arkansas historically has not been a fertile state to recruit in which will make it a slow process in improving recruiting.

But as we maintain success on the field we should see an upper trend in recruiting ranking.  We must be patient.

Razorfox

tiber,

I answered that question several times and in several different ways.  I was happy with the 2008 class given that it was put together in short notice.  I was SUPER pumped about the 2009 class being that it was the highest ranked class EVER at Arkansas (and I bet you and all the others trying to bash me right now liked all those stars too).  That was what I thought was going to be our norm with this coaching staff.  Heck, most people thought this year would be better with more wins.  That hasn't happened in 2010 and it's taken a step back.  So overall, I'd say their efforts are decent, but not consistent. 

Compared to Nutt, it's hard to say so far.  When you had Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews, Lawrence Richardson, Batman, Matt Jones, etc. those were some good classes and with better coaching would have won a TON of games. 

Ichog,

My biggest compalaint with this class is that there is no one that can come in on day one to add significant depth to the DE or Safety position.  If we can't get those then our dream season for next year (assuming Mallett stays) likely won't happen.  Our defense just won't have what it takes without those additions and unless something drastic happens, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

tiber

Quote from: regi on December 23, 2009, 06:06:24 pm
Do a little research, don't be lazy, and you can find post after post in this forum of ..."Petrino is a superior talent evaluator and don't worry about recruiting rankings, yada, yada" Is Petrino better than Nutt? Absolutely. The problem I have is their are some in this forum who think that Petrino is hands down, no question a better talent evaluator than his competition in the SEC. So good in fact, he can take lesser (perceived, nobody truely knows) ranked recruits and beat guys. Well the Guys he needs to beat are Saban, Meyer, Richt, Miles, Spurrier and Kiffin etc. We have no concrete evidence that this is true.

What we know is that only 6 teams have won the SEC championship since 92 and all of them routinely have top 20 or better recruiting classes. Don't ignore history.

I said SABAN, not Nutt.  Nice try.

Who would you rather have at the helm of the Razorbacks right now?  Still waiting.

Razorfox

Examples of threads that sound like adulation:

1) "Elton Ford - 2 star" which implies that any 2* that Petrino gets is as good as a 4* from any other big program.

2) "I'm just gotta rant a little over recruiting overreactions" which implies that those of us that have concerns are being stupid.

3) "Petrino's recruiting classes are more exciting" is self-explanatory.

4) "For you star guys" implying that Rivals and other coaches don't know anything.

5) "Want to feel better about this class" which implies one underrated player makes up for everything.

6) "The sky is falling!" again implying those of us that look at what other coaches and the evaluators think are stupid, I guess.

7) "Is Rivals biased against Arkansas" which must mean that they hate us and Petrino because if Petrino is offering they must ALL be 5* or something.

Those are the ones on the front page and don't count the numerous responses inside that say the same things.  We're not making this stuff up. 

regi

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 06:09:18 pm
I said SABAN, not Nutt.  Nice try.

Who would you rather have at the helm of the Razorbacks right now?  Still waiting.

Research all my posts, not once have I mentioned Petrino not being the coach here. See you are the "all in guy, cheer leader type" You can't separate constructive criticism and questioning, from someone possibly bashing your coach. "All in guy". This is not a question about Petrino being coach, the question is why last season was a stellar highly touted recruiting haul (maybe one of the best in program history), and this season targeted highly rated recruits said no? Petrino will search for the answers I am sure. You can keep cheering.

tiber

Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 06:19:02 pm
Examples of threads that sound like adulation:

1) "Elton Ford - 2 star" which implies that any 2* that Petrino gets is as good as a 4* from any other big program.

2) "I'm just gotta rant a little over recruiting overreactions" which implies that those of us that have concerns are being stupid.

3) "Petrino's recruiting classes are more exciting" is self-explanatory.

4) "For you star guys" implying that Rivals and other coaches don't know anything.

5) "Want to feel better about this class" which implies one underrated player makes up for everything.

6) "The sky is falling!" again implying those of us that look at what other coaches and the evaluators think are stupid, I guess.

7) "Is Rivals biased against Arkansas" which must mean that they hate us and Petrino because if Petrino is offering they must ALL be 5* or something.

Those are the ones on the front page and don't count the numerous responses inside that say the same things.  We're not making this stuff up. 

Your definitions here tell any sensible person all they need to know about what the root intent of this thread is.

tiber

Quote from: regi on December 23, 2009, 06:21:08 pm
Research all my posts, not once have I mentioned Petrino not being the coach here. See you are the "all in guy, cheer leader type" You can't separate constructive criticism and questioning, from someone possibly bashing your coach. "All in guy". This is not a question about Petrino being coach, the question is why last season was a stellar highly touted recruiting haul (maybe one of the best in program history), and this season targeted highly rated recruits said no? Petrino will search for the answers I am sure. You can keep cheering.

What a joke.  Show us again where someone is saying that Petrino is a better evaluator than Saban. 

LSPRazorbac

December 23, 2009, 06:27:51 pm #67 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:31:27 pm by LSPRazorbac
Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 06:06:50 pm

Ichog,

My biggest compalaint with this class is that there is no one that can come in on day one to add significant depth to the DE or Safety position.  If we can't get those then our dream season for next year (assuming Mallett stays) likely won't happen.  Our defense just won't have what it takes without those additions and unless something drastic happens, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I don't know what kind of "dream season" you are planning on if you are depending on true freshmen to provide significant depth.

For us to have a "dream season" we will need for the following to step up at DB and DE:

DE (to go along with Bequette):
Tank Wright
Ambrose
Colton Nash
either Caleb Evans or Ryan Calender

S (along with Elton Ford)
Anthony Leon
Tramain Thomas
Rudell Crim (if other cbs step up)
Ross Rasner
Jerry Mitchell

Next years success will hinge on how well our current players progress, not incoming freshmen.

Razorfox

Um, actually I was kind of counting on Smith, who was a JUCO to provide immediate DE depth.

And if you don't think that that DE rotation is razor thin, you've got another thing coming. 

Leon - possibly too slow
Thomas - too small, bad tackler
Crim - best corner right now
Rasner - unknown at this point
Mitchell - unknown

regi

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 06:27:05 pm
What a joke.  Show us again where someone is saying that Petrino is a better evaluator than Saban. 

Stop being lazy and look for yourself. The answer as to why rankings don't matter, is because Petrino is a better at evaluating talent than everybody else. There are about 20 threads that you can find this logic being used. Do some research ckeer leader.

Razorfox

tiber,

I don't know what kind of game you're trying to play, but it's wearing a little thin.  I don't question your intent or anyone else's on here for that matter.  This is a place to discuss and debate facts.  If I didn't care about the Hogs, why would I be here as much as I am?

What do you think my ulterior motives are?

regi

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 06:23:44 pm
Your definitions here tell any sensible person all they need to know about what the root intent of this thread is.

Not only are you "all in guy" you are also, "when I am shown to be wrong, I change question guy"

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on December 23, 2009, 10:40:17 am
3 star + RS year + Veltkamp + highly professional, focused, and efficient coaching staff = very solid contributor after a couple of years.  We'll be fine.

Bama, UF, Tenn, LSU, Georgia, SCAR + 4/5* recruits + RS year + Strength Coach + highly professional, focused, and efficient coaching staff.....they'll be even better.

I am by no means saying that our team couldnt compete with most any team in the country.(outside of our conf)  BP can take all the 3* recruits he wants and beat the hell out of Cincy, Pitt, Boise, TCU, etc, but its a different animal playing against Texas, OU, Bama, UF, LSU, etc.  2 of which we play every single year and Auburn is lighting the recruiting trail on fire.

We just cant say we'll be fine because we have BP and he can "coach up" his 3* recruits.  So can the other SEC schools not to mention twice the talent they have to start with.  Its bringing a sling shot to a RPG fight.

tiber

Razorfox

tiber,

You got on to me for supposedly not answering your question.  You can at least re-pay the favor. 

tiber

I put a definition of your motive in this thread already. 

Razorfox

So, it is your contention that I'm not here because I actually care about Razorback recruiting and how it will translate to wins and losses on the field, but rather that I'm here just to stir crap up?  Give me a break. 

Go back two weeks ago before the Smith kid, Langley kid, and supposedly all the Hawaii kids were coming and I was jumping up and down for what this class might be.  Now that it doesn't look that way anymore, I'm concerned.  That's ALL there is to this thread. 

LSPRazorbac

December 23, 2009, 06:48:33 pm #77 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:52:18 pm by LSPRazorbac
Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 06:30:30 pm
Um, actually I was kind of counting on Smith, who was a JUCO to provide immediate DE depth.

And if you don't think that that DE rotation is razor thin, you've got another thing coming. 

Leon - possibly too slow
Thomas - too small, bad tackler
Crim - best corner right now
Rasner - unknown at this point
Mitchell - unknown

I wouldn't call it razor thin.  We should be ok with our two deep getting  significant playing time plus 2-3 more guys behind them in case of injuries.  Now if we have to play the guys behind our 2 deep significantly we might struggle.  But who expects to get great play out of their 3rd string?

Leon - disagree

Thomas - too small????????? 6-0  190 lbs + a year to bulk up.  He can improve his tackling this spring.

Crim - best corner right now (Right now is the key word) If Madison, Stewart, Broadway, Gordon, Winston or Gaston can step up and improve he could make the switch. 

Rasner - unknown at this point  (at this point!)  That is what spring practice is for.

Mitchell - Unknown--But coming out of spring in his 2nd year in the system it is very possible for him to push for playing time.

With Rasner and Mitchell being here for Spring practice and it being their 2nd year in the system they have a much beeter chance giving us quality playing time than a true freshman! 

Razorfox

I hope all that is true, I would just feel more comfortable with some more known commodities coming in.  Thanks for having a real discussion versus what tiber is doing. 

tiber

Concern does not correlate to people having rational discussion about recruits expressing 'adulation' over the current commitments.

Your implications are much different from what the vast majority are saying.   

tiber

Well, I'm on a blackberry now.  You had plenty of time earlier to engage in rational discussion.  Sorry you missed that window.

Lake City Hog

I will admit that I have no idea of the inner workings of the recruiting process and who was actually in Petrino's office and offered a scholarship and refused. I also do not know how many recruits were invited to campus with an"offer" and after meeting with the staff no official offer was extended for any number of reasons.

Example from this week's visits: Brice Schwab math scores would not meet SEC requirements, now I am pretty sure Petrino really wants him, but he can't enroll so the deal is off. Several people with supposed inside info have stated that Petrino has decided against giving offers to academic risks, what degree of risk is he willing to accept, I don't know.

Also, I heard Petrino say in an interview that during recruiting visits coaches evaluate prospects for their ability to "fit in" with the team as well as other character issues. This, to me is a super important part of the recruiting value of any prospective recruit. If a player is a "all for me" type guy, do we really want him? Will his attitude get in the way of team goals, and would he be worth it? Could it be that during some visits that Petrino or another staff member saw a red flag on a certain recruit and his "offer" never materialized?

All we ever see is that Joe Bob was offered by Arkansas and  later committed to Texas Tech, and as fans we immediately want to jump off a cliff because we were "beat out" by TT. We don't know that Joe Bob had 2 D's in math and TT has entrance standards that will accept that and the SEC will not. We never found out that Joe Bob told Horton in a meeting that he wanted to be promised 25 carries a game or he would not consider Arkansas. We will never, ever find out that while in town with his host Joe Bob swiped a CD and his host told his position coach about it later that night.

All we know is that Texas Tech beat us for Joe Bob! Until Petrino proves to me that he doesn't know what he is doing I am going to trust that he does. A trust that he earned with his 1st two recruiting classes!

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 06:51:19 pm
I hope all that is true, I would just feel more comfortable with some more known commodities coming in.  Thanks for having a real discussion versus what tiber is doing. 

LOL

How are INCOMING recruits KNOWN commodities?  They have yet to play a down in DIV I Football.

Razorfox

Well, a 4-star Jayhawk defensive player of the year that's 20 or 21 years old is more of a known commodity than someone that's fresh out of high school or only played on a scout team and is 18 or 19 years old. 

Lake City Hog

Razor, read my post a couple of spots up and ask yourself is it possible that Smith simply could not meet SEC standards as far as grades? Could it be that Petrino just could not give him an offer?
Do you remember Cruz Williams? Talked being a Hog all year and at the last minute switched to La. Tech because "he wasn't feeling the love" and come to find out he couldn't get in to Arkansas because of grades.
I am not saying that was the situation and I am not saying it wasn't, all I am saying is that we just don't know everything that the coaches know.

beansandtaters

I'm beginning to think that the ar job is a lose, lose situation for a coach. Petrino is getting visits from players that the previous regime would nor have even tried. You have to start somewhere you idiot fans! One good, or great, year and we may be landing many if those players. Meanwhile his first two classes are FULL of contributors with very few, if any, looking like misses. Do you morons remember the last regime at all? Do we really have to make the list of misses again?

Lastly, in this the season of Christmas, why don't you all just shut up and be thankful for our favorite team giving us great moments this season and for a professional staff that has turned around a program left in shambles within two seasons. Can I get an amen?

Rockhawg

Where does this recruiting adulation come from?

I can only speak for myself.

For me it's about having a coach who is not afraid to go up against
" The Big Boy's " and offer a 4* or 5* ( it's the little things that make me happy ).

My expectations are for a Sears Trophy in the next 3 or 4 years.
Will this recruiting class make that expectation happen?
I will know in 3 or 4 years.

I know you don't get 15 4* recruits when you have NEVER been to a BCS
Game.
IMO you get the best that you can and build them up and coach them up.
Win more games next year than last year.
If i can't get the 4* - 5* kid, i go after a 3* that has the measurables of the 5* and see if my strength and conditioning guy can turn him into a 5*
in 2 or 3 years.

We are what we are. A team on the rise with some talented young player's.
We are not Tex.,Fla., Ala.,LSU,USC, or any other team that has won or is playing for the Sears Trophy.
This year we are a " Liberty Bowl " team that is very young and i am looking forward to going to Memphis and Tunica and having a Great time.

I answered your question as honestly as i could. Will you answer one for me? How many of our last two recruiting classes were filled with 5 or 6 weeks left in the recruiting season?

GO HOGS, BEAT ECU !

Tusks

December 23, 2009, 09:25:45 pm #87 Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:29:11 pm by nutted
Man what a tough crowd.  The recruiting season isn't over and everyone is jumping ship.

Look you have to look at a body of work....all of the great coaches run down BP throat in this thread have off moments or seasons or recruiting picks.

BP had the best recruiting class last year ever at the UA....some are disappointed he's not matching last year ranking....well so what.  One class does not make or break a coaching tenure. 

First see how this class closes.....second, see how coming years go.

I have much adulation for BP recruiting....instead of unbalanced classes that lead to thin depth one year and over supplied players the next....I like the fact that the classes are starting to balance where graduation doesn't decimate the team.  Now don't get me wrong....losing a DMAC is hard on any team but to have maybe 2 or 3 RB that can take the place of a DMAC and come close to SIMILAR production is a very admirable way to run a program.

I think the overall level of a player is getting better under BP....this filters throughout the team...special teams gets better...nagging injuries can be managed better....having 85 players that can actually play SEC football is a great start and a long ways from having about 65 or so players that belong in the SEC while the rest don't.

Also theres nothing wrong with some players developing into SEC caliber and possible ALL SEC players in their JR or even SR year.

Every player doesn't have to be an AA as a FR. I don't think a coach should be judged by how many FR AA he recruits.

I would take 85 players that can make the TWO DEEP on any SEC team and I think that's where BP is headed.  Not necessarily starting at Florida but making the two deep.  That raises the level of the whole team from practice to scrimmages to everything.

Some years fans are going to think...hey a BCS bowl is a lock and it just doesn't happen a 9-3 reaches up and bits you in the butt.

That's the same for recruiting.

But I have adulation for the way BP is running the program, recruiting and managing the team.

I also think a BCS bowl and SECC is in future for the hogs under BP.

So please fans.....stop bitching.

This is JMHO but I love the direction of the hogs....even if this class doesn't end up top 15.

If after 5 years of BP the hogs haven't sniffed #15 in recruiting again and haven't sniffed a BCS bowl or SECC....then bitching and running out of town is appropriate.

But I have enough adulation of BP.....I don't think that's going to happen and I think GREAT things are ahead for the hogs.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bphi11ips

Quote from: tiber on December 23, 2009, 04:36:09 pm

No one is jumping for joy. 

Au contraire.  Come back in 2013 . . . assuming we are all still here.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: nutted on December 23, 2009, 09:25:45 pm
Man what a tough crowd.  The recruiting season isn't over and everyone is jumping ship.

Look you have to look at a body of work....all of the great coaches run down BP throat in this thread have off moments or seasons or recruiting picks.

BP had the best recruiting class last year ever at the UA....some are disappointed he's not matching last year ranking....well so what.  One class does not make or break a coaching tenure. 

I have much adulation for BP recruiting....instead of unbalanced classes that lead to thin depth one year and over supplied players the next....I like the fact that the classes are starting to balance where graduation doesn't decimate the team.  Now don't get me wrong....losing a DMAC is hard on any team but to have maybe 2 or 3 RB that can take the place of a DMAC and come close to SIMILAR production is a very admirable way to run a program.

I think the overall level of a player is getting better under BP....this filters throughout the team...special teams gets better...nagging injuries can be managed better....having 85 players that can actually play SEC football is a great start and a long ways from having about 65 or so players that belong in the SEC while the rest don't.

Also theres nothing wrong with some players developing into SEC caliber and possible ALL SEC players in their JR or even SR year.

Every player doesn't have to be an AA as a FR. I don't think a coach should be judged by how many FR AA he recruits.

I would take 85 players that can make the TWO DEEP on any SEC team and I think that's where BP is headed.  Not necessarily starting at Florida but making the two deep.  That raises the level of the whole team from practice to scrimmages to everything.

Some years fans are going to think...hey a BCS bowl is a lock and it just doesn't happen a 9-3 reaches up and bits you in the butt.

But I have adulation for the way BP is running the program, recruiting and managing the team.

This is JMHO but I love the direction of the hogs....even if this class doesn't end up top 15.

If after 5 years of BP the hogs haven't sniffed #15 in recruiting again and haven't sniffed a BCS bowl or SECC....then bitching and running out of town is appropriate.

But I have enough adulation of BP.....I don't think that's going to happen and I think GREAT things are ahead for the hogs.

Here's a dose of reality, bud.  This is the worst recruiting class on its face Arkansas has had in 50 years.  Period.  No one knows what hind sight will show.  But looking forward, it's the worst ever.  EVER.  And here's a newsflash - it ain't getting any better.  No one is left to sign.  Arkansas has had its head handed to it.  So BP and staff better coach these boys up. 

Tusks

If you think this is the worse class in 50 years.....you are just too ignorant to deal with.  If you really feel that way....you should root for someone else....seriously.

Im going to write it off as you're a little drunk and really not that dim.

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 23, 2009, 09:34:34 pm
Here's a dose of reality, bud.  This is the worst recruiting class on its face Arkansas has had in 50 years.  Period.  No one knows what hind sight will show.  But looking forward, it's the worst ever.  EVER.  And here's a newsflash - it ain't getting any better.  No one is left to sign.  Arkansas has had its head handed to it.  So BP and staff better coach these boys up. 

Razorfox

I don't know about 50 years, but it's the worst (unless things change in the next month) that I can remember since I've been paying attention in 1998. 

Tusks

you guys are real peaches man.....do fricken RESEARCH.

enough tonight......the IQ level on the board is about 75....east coast with presents to wrap for the kids.

enjoy the mindless.....mindlesses.

oyvey.

Quote from: Razorfox on December 23, 2009, 10:33:09 pm
I don't know about 50 years, but it's the worst (unless things change in the next month) that I can remember since I've been paying attention in 1998. 

Gonzo

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 23, 2009, 09:34:34 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Howard Stern shockjock of Hogville. We can all rest easy now, or panic for those so inclined, because recruiting is all over, absolutely nothing will happen between now and February. Never in the history of college football has a team actually done anything significant in recruiting during the last two months of the process. Of course, don't bother researching the last couple of Arkansas' classes for verification of this immutable fact. I really do wonder how some people actually manage to find their way through the day sometimes.

Go Hogs! Beat E Carolina!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: nutted on December 23, 2009, 09:25:45 pm

"The recruiting season isn't over and everyone is jumping ship." 
Just the ones with a loser's mentality. They're probably that way in their personal lives as well. "I'm worried", I'm concerned", "this class isn't any good", "we missed on player XYZ. What's wrong?", Boo, hoo, Boo hoo, another 4-star player is off the table (like he was on the table to begin with).  It's comical to see how worked up some posters get over things they know absolutely nothing about.     

Ftsmithmike

We dont actually have any two star commits. So unless you think three star players are not D1 or SEC we are not recruiting diamonds in the rough. We are recruiting role players. Of these twenty or so role players some will star and some will fail. I bet a million dollars this class wont rank in the fifties in four years. Thats not a feeling. Thats a fact. Its impossible for this class not to produce a few stars. It wont take three or four stars to emerge for this class to be considered underrated.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

jpsand

Quote from: regi on December 23, 2009, 12:17:05 pm
How has Arkansas not won an SECC in 18 seasons, while the 6 teams that are always in the top 20 in Recruiting rankings have at least 1 SECC?

Rankings are not exact, but they are more right than wrong.

If our goal is 7-8 wins (way to many are ok with this btw) with a trip to Dallas from time to time, than by all means, pay no attention to recruiting or recruiting rankings, but if we want an SECC, history shows that recruiting rankings matter in this league.

Nutt, ford, crow!!!  Could this be it?

Hog_in_Bama

This staff offered some players they didn't get but who doesn't? You can only take 20-25 a year but generally send out in the neighborhood of 200-300 written offers. So for every 1 commit you get there are 10-15 players at that position who you won't get. I like this class and there isn't a commit we have that I don't like. Darrell Smith hasn't been "evaluated" by Rivals and has no stars so I guess that means he can't play the game right?

This staff doesn't care about star ratings and recruiting rankings. If they did they would have more stars. There was some 4star players they didn't take (OC Brown, Anterio Sloan, Michael Harris, the Dyer-Mosley package etc etc) because they don't fit out needs/system. I think Petrino spoiled some hog fans with last year's top 15 class "ranking". The biggest reason we are ranked 50 is because we only have 15 commits and Rivals deducts points for every slot you have under 20. That is a dedection of around 500pts. That 500 points would land us in the lower 30s even if we don't land another 4star.

Either you trust this staffs evaluations or you don't. They know a lot more about these kids than we or Rivals do. I too am curious as to what commits you guys don't like? If you like all the commits then why all the [CENSORED] envy for LSU, AU, Bama, UF etc. They have 20-100 SEC caliber athletes sitting in their back yard each year. Auburn for instance has out recruited us 6 out of the last 7 years but lost to us 5 out of the last 7 years. Those of you who thought Coach Petrino could walk in and start signing 15 4stars this year need to give him more time.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on December 23, 2009, 11:10:19 pm
"The recruiting season isn't over and everyone is jumping ship." 
Just the ones with a loser's mentality. They're probably that way in their personal lives as well. "I'm worried", I'm concerned", "this class isn't any good", "we missed on player XYZ. What's wrong?", Boo, hoo, Boo hoo, another 4-star player is off the table (like he was on the table to begin with).  It's comical to see how worked up some posters get over things they know absolutely nothing about.     

LOL.  I have consistently been one of the defenders of the program.  The homer.  The optimist.  The glass is half full.  The educator of the silly children who populate this Board and run Arkansas into the ground because they have no sense of the team's real stature in the history of college football. What you bozos can't possibly do is reconcile your feeble attempts to justify this incredibly disappointing class with your justifiable enthusiasm and chest thumping following the 2009 class.  In fact, you all melt down at the very question of why players are turning the team down in droves this year.  It's so funny to watch that I can't resist poking fun while you try and have it both ways. 

codeHog

1. You look at a cake mix being stirred in a bowl and say "That cake looks awful" ???

Wait until it comes out of the oven before you judge it.

You do not know who on our current list will NOT sign with us OR who we end up with