Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Rankings Scout as of today...

Started by BR, December 21, 2009, 10:38:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: lchog on December 26, 2009, 11:20:01 am

3. This class will be the very best class that this staff could get
4. The quality of this or any future class will not suffer because of a lack of work by this staff.

Three as modified is undoubtedly correct, and there is no reason to believe 4 is incorrect.  The question is whether Willie Robinson can attract upper tier SEC talent, and if not, whether he can coach up the players willing to play for him.  Hopefully the answer will be yes or yes.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 26, 2009, 11:27:13 am
Three as modified is undoubtedly correct, and there is no reason to believe 4 is incorrect.  The question is whether Willie Robinson can attract upper tier SEC talent, and if not, whether he can coach up the players willing to play for him.  Hopefully the answer will be yes or yes.

I am not convinced that "Willy Robinson" as the name of the DC matters. The anti-recruiting efforts by others will be targeted at the DC of a Petrino team until UA fields a monster defense. Willy R is just the current DC, that's all. I do agree that we may well have some uphill sledding because of this. Road Hogg has made a point of this in the recruiting forum recently, hearing these comments in the Houston area.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 26, 2009, 05:14:48 pm
I am not convinced that "Willy Robinson" as the name of the DC matters. The anti-recruiting efforts by others will be targeted at the DC of a Petrino team until UA fields a monster defense. Willy R is just the current DC, that's all. I do agree that we may well have some uphill sledding because of this. Road Hogg has made a point of this in the recruiting forum recently, hearing these comments in the Houston area.

If I had said Petrino rather than Robinson, man would I have been flamed.  You may be right about negative recruiting.  If you are, the question becomes - Does Petrino really believe defense is important?  I have to think he does.  If he is a great coach, he values defense and special teams.  Would Petrino trump a DC named Orgeron, Bumpas or Pilini (as in Carl)?  A high profile, proven DC would certainly blunt negative recruiting. 

I think one of three things causes BP to keep WR.  One, he believes the guy can coach (surely he can).  Two, he wants continuity.  Three, he doesn't want to fire the guy after his late season health problems.  Could be all of the above.  Regardless, it is difficult to justify keeping WR based upon performance.  And it is easy for the opposition to take pot shots at WR and BP where defensive recruits are concerned.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 26, 2009, 05:35:22 pm
If I had said Petrino rather than Robinson, man would I have been flamed.  You may be right about negative recruiting.  If you are, the question becomes - Does Petrino really believe defense is important?  I have to think he does.  If he is a great coach, he values defense and special teams.  Would Petrino trump a DC named Orgeron, Bumpas or Pilini (as in Carl)?  A high profile, proven DC would certainly blunt negative recruiting. 

I think one of three things causes BP to keep WR.  One, he believes the guy can coach (surely he can).  Two, he wants continuity.  Three, he doesn't want to fire the guy after his late season health problems.  Could be all of the above.  Regardless, it is difficult to justify keeping WR based upon performance.  And it is easy for the opposition to take pot shots at WR and BP where defensive recruits are concerned.

I think all three of your suppositions are correct. I think there is another option (few fans like this one): Petrino is pleased with the structural progress of the defense and realizes it will take more time to see real results on the field. Hard, then, to fire a DC for what amounts to superficial reasons.

A high profile DC would blunt negative recruiting.

Many will disagree with this final point: at this point last year we felt concerns about defensive recruiting and we closed with a monster DB class and added DD Jones and had Aubrey Phillips as a silent commit until the bitter end. That is quite a finish given all the negative recruiting that should have played out last year also.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

regi

Scout continues the love for Arkansas' 2010 class by moving Beacham down in their rankings. I do believe Smith will move up.

Piggfoot

We had three big time recruits to jack last years class up....Mallet,Green, and Winston. This year while it would probably nice to get 5*Dyer, I'd just as soon get a solid 3* lineman with upside potential. I think 19 year old Dyer has peaked.  The pickings are slim in Arkansas for this class. ;)
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

3kgthog

We needed defensive players that could at least get some time next season. I don't see us getting anyone that can help on defense before 2011 and maybe even 2012. 

Porkyswine

Funny.  All of this defensive bickering over the right way to sort, analyze, ect.....  Let's keep it simple.  Bobby did good last year.  This year he is being told "no" more than he's being told yes.  He's lost more "must have" recruits in the last month that he signed last year.  You don't bat a thousand in baseball.  This is one of those years/games where you go 1-4.  Ok, that may be a little generous.  0-3 with a walk.  At least he got on base.

hehehehe

Lake City Hog

Game isn't over yet, he could come up in the 9th and hit a walk off HR!

I keep looking at our current commitments and I see a pretty darn good class with six of them rated as 5.7 3* recruits and I can't help but think that if they were rated as 5.8 4* guys everyone on this board would be ecstatic. They would be the same players that they are right now, but that one tenth of a point would change a great many minds.

Add 1 big Defensive Tackle, 1 long and quick Defensive End and a real strong Safety to this group and it is as good as we could hope for. Add 2 or 3 more for depth and we have a class!