29.  Nebraska   
45.  Baylor 
50.  Kansas 
68.  Colorado   
71.  Iowa State   
77.  Kansas State   

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Music City Hog

Scout is the far inferior site.  In Rivals we are ahead of Vanderbilt!  Woo hoo, not last!

hoglife

Another day, another "sky is falling" thread. YEAHHHHH!!!! :puke:

gohogsgo006

Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

regi

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on December 21, 2009, 10:38:49 am

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2010

3.  Alabama 
5.  Florida   
6.  LSU 
8.  Georgia 
10.  Tennessee 
11.  Auburn 
30.  South Carolina 
35.  Mississippi   
38.  Vanderbilt   
42.  Kentucky   
46.  Mississippi State 
54.  Arkansas  

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&view=2&yr=2010
1.  Oklahoma 
2.  Texas  
9.  Oklahoma State 
16.  Texas A&M 
24.  Texas Tech 
28.  Missouri   
29.  Nebraska  
45.  Baylor 
50.  Kansas 
68.  Colorado  
71.  Iowa State   
77.  Kansas State   

For the people who say "stars don't matter", this is a banner time in Hog recruiting history. rejoice.

This is terrible pr for our School.

jst01

the whole "as of today" thing should reassure plenty of you guys.

I'm going to wait until it says "Final Recruiting Rankings" before I complain.

Lakerhog

IMO, one's opinion of this class comes down to who he/she trusts more: recruiting services or Bobby Petrino.

jst01

Quote from: Lakerhog on December 21, 2009, 11:13:53 am
IMO, one's opinion of this class comes down to who he/she trusts more: recruiting services or Bobby Petrino.

explain something to me. 

If Bobby Petrino offers every player he really likes, but none of them want to play at Arkansas, does that mean Bobby really didnt like that player? Petrino fails too. Lets just hope he has a trick up his sleeve or some silent committs.

LuckyGiraffe

There is a MAJOR flaw (first of course, NSD has not occurred) in this  rating system.  It is based far too heavily on the number of recruits rather than the quality.  Here is the list re-ordered by Scout's own quality scoring system.

This new rank is the total number of points divided by the number of recruits committed.

New rank - school - Scout's rank
1-USC -19
2-Texas -2
3-Penn State -4
4-Florida -5
5-Georgia -8
6-Alabama -3

7-Ohio State -21
8-Oklahoma-1
9-Notre Dame -15
10-California -32
11-Tennessee -10
12-UCLA -20
13-LSU -6
14-  Michigan State  -26
15-Texas A&M -16
16-Illinois -69
17-Florida State -25
18-Washington -7
19-Pittsburgh -13
20-Michigan -18
21-Stanford -12
22-Clemson -22
23-Georgia Tech -41
24-Auburn -11
25-Oregon -31
26-Nebraska -29
27-Oklahoma State -9
28-Mississippi -35
29-Miami (Fl) -17
30-West Virginia -23
31-North Carolina -53
32-BYU -14
33-Boston College -37
34-South Carolina -30
35-Virginia Tech -27
36-Texas Tech -24
37-North Carolina State -33
38-Missouri -28
39-Kansas -50
40-Baylor -45
41-Wisconsin -34
42-South Florida -43
43-Arkansas -54
44-Arizona State -40
45-Cincinnati -55
46-Iowa -36
47-Mississippi State -46
48-Oregon State -67
49-Virginia -62
50-Maryland -49
51-Vanderbilt -38
52-Wake Forest -47
53-Washington State -39
54-Utah -60
55-Arizona -48
56-Boise State -90
57-Colorado -68
58-Rutgers -64
59-Purdue -44
60-Northwestern -58
61-TCU -81
62-Kentucky -42
63-Kansas State -77
64-Indiana -52
65-Louisville -65
66-Duke -63
67-Connecticut -74
68-Fresno State -79
69-UCF -66
70-Minnesota-51
71-SMU -59
72-Houston -56
73-Syracuse -57
74-Nevada -t94.
75-Kent State -104
76-Tulsa -82
77-New Mexico -88
78-Temple -70
79-Iowa State -71
80-Central Michigan-76
81-New Mexico State -116
82-Buffalo -96
83-Southern Miss -61
84-UTEP -85
85-Troy -83
86-Louisiana Tech -86
87-San Diego State -72
88-Ball State -75
89-Toledo -73
90-Idaho -93
91-Western Michigan -91
92-UNLV -106
93-Memphis -t98.
94-Northern Illinois -102
95-Hawaii -78
96-Wyoming -84
97-Air Force -87
98-Tulane -80
99-  Rice  -101
100-Akron -t98.
101-Colorado State -97
102-North Texas -107
103-Eastern Michigan -110
104-Bowling Green -89
105-Florida International -105
106-ULM -108
107-Navy -117
108-Miami (Oh) -92
109-Marshall -109
110-UAB -103
111-East Carolina -100
112-San Jose State -t118.
113-Western Kentucky -t118.
114-Utah State -t94.
115-Army -111
116-Ohio -112
117-Middle Tennessee -114
118-Arkansas State -115
119-Louisiana -113

3kgthog

I'm trying to wrap my head around us being ranked 15th last season after a horrible record and this year we're getting a lot of "no" while going to a bowl. I realize we aren't signing as many, but it appears to me that we are great offensive recruiters and very average defensive recruiters. They may finish with a flurry, but our top defense targets are going elsewhere by the handful.

Oklahawg

Read Scout for basketball; read ESPN or Rivals for football.

Heard a rumor today that we have had 2 silent commits that are high 4-star type players. Had them for several weeks. Wouldn't matter to the stars folks, though, not one bit. No, I won't give out names (as they weren't provided to me anyway). Or...its just that, a rumor, and we are what we are.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Lakerhog

Quote from: jst01 on December 21, 2009, 11:41:58 am
explain something to me. 

If Bobby Petrino offers every player he really likes, but none of them want to play at Arkansas, does that mean Bobby really didnt like that player? Petrino fails too. Lets just hope he has a trick up his sleeve or some silent committs.
I never said that the guy was perfect, I just value his eye for talent more than I do rivals.com.

MJ2

There probably is some value in ranking recruiting classes, but I suspect that TCU, Boise, Cincy, and other small fish that have had success lately wouldn't show a very high ranking in the yearly recruiting reports.

Gonzo

Quote from: jst01 on December 21, 2009, 10:54:31 am

Think I'll wait til I see how CBP does with these guys. Seems like he did pretty well at UL and here so far finding the fringe kids who can help and play top DI ball. Would he like to have the higher rated kids he's missed on this year? He offered them schollies so my guess would be yes, but Arkansas isn't close to a level where they can just pick and choose which kids they sign. Why don't we all check back in about 2 years and see how the program stacks up, sure would save some folks a lot of grief in the meantime apparently.

Go Hogs! Beat E Carolina!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 21, 2009, 11:53:50 am
I'm trying to wrap my head around us being ranked 15th last season after a horrible record and this year we're getting a lot of "no" while going to a bowl. I realize we aren't signing as many, but it appears to me that we are great offensive recruiters and very average defensive recruiters. They may finish with a flurry, but our top defense targets are going elsewhere by the handful.

You had a coaching change, but still, there is a little bit of a reason for that.

Usually, when you sign a class, that class spent most of its time being recruited off of the success/failure of 2 seasons ago.

Think of it this way.  If you're a 2010 signee, your recruiting probably started picking up around your junior year, fall of 2008.  So, for the first 10-12 months of your recruitment, what you're basing your opinions on have a lot to do with what happened in the 2008 season.  By the time the 2009 season rolls around, you've probably narrowed your list, and you may have already committed or at least chosen a favorite before the 2009 season even kicks off.

So, in effect, the 2009 season only serves as a minor bump at the end to some of the prospects on the board.  For the most part, the momentum you gain from having a good season isn't seen until two recruiting classes down the line.  Your primary bump for your 2009 class comes from your 2007 season, your 2008 class from your 2006 season, etc.

al2305

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 21, 2009, 12:03:52 pm

Heard a rumor today that we have had 2 silent commits that are high 4-star type players. Had them for several weeks. Wouldn't matter to the stars folks, though, not one bit. No, I won't give out names (as they weren't provided to me anyway). Or...its just that, a rumor, and we are what we are.

I just pray its not a rumor.

hog_fan

A 2 star kicker brings us down. got some guys not rated yet, a small class means lower ranking. No way we are only the 50 best class in the country. Don't believe it for a minute. Got a few guys one notch away from 4 star. That would help. Petrino and staff did not let anyone commit especially this year with the small class unless they felt really good about them. Again no way we are 50 best class. No one can tell me why are recruits aren't good besides Rivals says so. This staff doesn't offer anyone. They go through a process and find guys that fit their needs. Yes, like every school they will miss on some guys.

cbjagman

I agree, and have said several times, that we should all wait to see how this recruiting class turns out. Having said that, however, I must admit that I'm getting very curious why so many recruits, particularly big time defensive kids, continue to decline our offers. I realize that WR doesn't like to recruit and that our coaches tend to get assigned territories rather that positions; however, I wonder if this approach might need to be rethought. Then again, what the heck do I know?

jst01

December 21, 2009, 03:57:51 pm #18 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:59:30 pm by jst01
Quote from: cbjagman on December 21, 2009, 03:50:16 pm
, particularly big time defensive kids, continue to decline our offers.

Yep, lots of people are making it more complicated than I think it is.

Occams Razor- "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better"

so why can't we recruit the big time Defensive lineman, linebackers, etc??

I'm thinking that defensive studs just dont want to play for our defensive coordinator or staff. That simple.

regi

Quote from: MJ2 on December 21, 2009, 12:37:44 pm
There probably is some value in ranking recruiting classes, but I suspect that TCU, Boise, Cincy, and other small fish that have had success lately wouldn't show a very high ranking in the yearly recruiting reports.

They don't have to play Bama, LSU, AU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina either. Apples and Oranges.

HoginClinton

Recruiting rankings are circular logic entities. It is perceived that the top schools are on top because their players are better. This in not entirely true. Since that is what many people think, it leads to whoever they recruit being better than who anyone else recruits. This leads right back to their rankings being highly rated. Arkansas hasn't been a top program since Hatfield left. Therefore, the thinking is whoever we get must not be very good. otherwise they would go to a better program.  Since we have hired this staff, they have missed on two players and hit on several. What more do they have to prove? That's right, some people at Rivals and Scout that nobody knows.

samurai

Quote from: regi on December 21, 2009, 04:06:44 pm
They don't have to play Bama, LSU, AU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina either. Apples and Oranges.
Now dont start making sense again you will get hammered for it. Geeesh some one hide the razors from me plz.

MJ2

Then would it be better to position the UofA in a conference or as an independent where they could win a bunch of games and end up in a high paying BCS game every couple of years?

TheGunther

You guys r'tards.  Last year we were recruiting for a powerful offense and some defensive needs.  This year we are just filling spots.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

Music City Hog

Quote from: TheGunther on December 22, 2009, 08:30:18 am
You guys r'tards.  Last year we were recruiting for a powerful offense and some defensive needs.  This year we are just filling spots.

"just filling spots"....   nice

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: KC_Hawg on December 21, 2009, 02:37:13 pm
LMAO.  This makes me feel much better.  You are clearly more qualified than Scout to adjust their own ranking system.  Even with your adjustments, are we supposed to be jumping for joy?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that we have already filled 15 of our slots - and those 15 do not even get us sniffing the top twenty.

Throw in Mallet and the departure of CBP's brother to Illinois, and this doesn't look pretty.  You don't have to be a genius to put two and two together here.  But you do have to be blind to not see the writing on the wall.
1) I was not trying to make you feel better or have you jump for joy.
2) I was merely removing the assumption from their ranking system that 35 players in most cases will rank higher than 20.
3) Scout ranked you as a 5* douchebag

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoginClinton on December 21, 2009, 04:34:44 pm
Recruiting rankings are circular logic entities. It is perceived that the top schools are on top because their players are better. This in not entirely true. Since that is what many people think, it leads to whoever they recruit being better than who anyone else recruits. This leads right back to their rankings being highly rated. Arkansas hasn't been a top program since Hatfield left. Therefore, the thinking is whoever we get must not be very good. otherwise they would go to a better program.  Since we have hired this staff, they have missed on two players and hit on several. What more do they have to prove? That's right, some people at Rivals and Scout that nobody knows.

Excellent.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: jst01 on December 21, 2009, 03:57:51 pm

Occams Razor- "when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better"

I'm thinking that defensive studs just dont want to play for our defensive coordinator or staff. That simple.

I rarely give +1/-1. Silly to me. You almost got one for Occam's Razor. Then, you stubbed your toe.

The easiest explanation is: "They like another school better."

jabohog

The bowls had a chance to fix that this year, wonder why they didn't? Boise can't find a D1 school, SEC or otherwise that will play them during the regular season. Wonder why?

TX HOG

I am not a "the sky is falling" person.  But, those that say "who do you trust, rivals or Petrino" don't have it 100% right either.  I trust Petrino's evaluations as much as anyone.  For those that trust his evaluations(like me)it is OKAY to be a bit concerned.  Several guys that Petrino offered early in the year have currently decided to go elsewhere.  It seems as though he's beginning to offer 2nd/3rd choice players. 

swinesation

A couple of factors I see:
1) This is a weak year for recruits in Ark.
2) Kids see a team full of super freshmen/sophomores and they are hesitant to commit somewhere with no playing time in the near future.
3) Arkansas has no tradition of signing huge Defensive Linemen and sending them to the pros. We've always had a problem signing those guys. Maybe DD Jones will help change that.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: jst01 on December 21, 2009, 03:57:51 pm

yeah unfortunately, when you have a situation for which one explanation isn't sufficient to explain an outcome, then you must add causes until you have sufficient causes to bring about the outcome.  look up kant's anti-razor.  in recruiting, there can be one cause or many and you don't know which it is.  you're just assuming. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 21, 2009, 12:03:52 pm

any idea which positions?

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: TX HOG on December 22, 2009, 08:09:27 pm
I am not a "the sky is falling" person.  But, those that say "who do you trust, rivals or Petrino" don't have it 100% right either.  I trust Petrino's evaluations as much as anyone.  For those that trust his evaluations(like me)it is OKAY to be a bit concerned.  Several guys that Petrino offered early in the year have currently decided to go elsewhere.  It seems as though he's beginning to offer 2nd/3rd choice players. 
One would have to assume with more than 180 offers out there, that we are well past 2nd/3rd choices and somewhere near 10th/11th choices.

Hogaliciousness

The average star rating is the best way to evaluate a team's class.  Otherwise, a team bringing on 25 kids (or 38 in the OM pattern) will weigh much more in points than a better class of 17 kids.  Currently we do have a 2 star kicker - but that is a normal rating and we need to have kicking options, right?  Also, one of the kids has not be evaluated.  This is like getting that zero on a test and what it does to your average grade....

We will finish strong.  I hope, when we do, all the "sky is falling" people will acknowledge it.  Of course, then it will be that the team didn't finish strong "enough".  We are bringing in kids that will help our team in some of the most needed areas.  Our coach is building depth, the red shirt program, and changing the way we approach the game of football.  Relax we have a professional in charge.

If you want to worry, watch another sport at the hill.
I am ready for some football!

OTTER

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 23, 2009, 08:59:05 am
One would have to assume with more than 180 offers out there, that we are well past 2nd/3rd choices and somewhere near 10th/11th choices.
Well, you know what they say about "assume".  Your logic doesn't work in this case.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

HoginClinton

inmanrk

Petrino is doing ok with recruiting offense.  Defense is not good.
Petrino needs to take a million dollars out of his nice salary and hire a big time recruiting DC.

WE ARE...
a very small State,
in the Big 12 area,
so we gotta have "hire guns" to recruit...and pay them very well.  We have facilities now we need more great coaches to recruit great athletes.

HoginClinton

Quote from: inmanrk on December 23, 2009, 05:11:52 pm
Petrino is doing ok with recruiting offense.  Defense is not good.
Petrino needs to take a million dollars out of his nice salary and hire a big time recruiting DC.

WE ARE...
a very small State,
in the Big 12 area,
so we gotta have "hire guns" to recruit...and pay them very well.  We have facilities now we need more great coaches to recruit great athletes.
We did this. His name was Reggie Herring.

southeasthog

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 23, 2009, 08:59:05 am
To take a page out of TammanyTom's book, do you really believe we have 180 "commitable" offers out? With only 5 to 7 spots left, they are focusing on a select few.

Some of you people will never cease to amaze me.

Music City Hog

Quote from: southeasthog on December 23, 2009, 05:19:05 pm
To take a page out of TammanyTom's book, do you really believe we have 180 "commitable" offers out? With only 5 to 7 spots left, they are focusing on a select few.

5-7?  I thinnk it's more like 1-3

southeasthog

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 23, 2009, 05:36:53 pm

5-7?  I thinnk it's more like 1-3
We have 16 committed. I think we will sign around 22. We don't have that many spots but I think Petrino will have a plan for that also.
We'll see in 6 weeks how many we sign. ;)

LuckyGiraffe

SARCASM PEOPLE!!! IT WAS A JOKE!
Some of you guys assume that everyone on this board is a moron.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: rebelbruiser on December 21, 2009, 12:59:27 pm
You had a coaching change, but still, there is a little bit of a reason for that.

Usually, when you sign a class, that class spent most of its time being recruited off of the success/failure of 2 seasons ago.

Think of it this way.  If you're a 2010 signee, your recruiting probably started picking up around your junior year, fall of 2008.  So, for the first 10-12 months of your recruitment, what you're basing your opinions on have a lot to do with what happened in the 2008 season.  By the time the 2009 season rolls around, you've probably narrowed your list, and you may have already committed or at least chosen a favorite before the 2009 season even kicks off.

So, in effect, the 2009 season only serves as a minor bump at the end to some of the prospects on the board.  For the most part, the momentum you gain from having a good season isn't seen until two recruiting classes down the line.  Your primary bump for your 2009 class comes from your 2007 season, your 2008 class from your 2006 season, etc.
good post. 

southeasthog

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 23, 2009, 10:38:02 pm
SARCASM PEOPLE!!! IT WAS A JOKE!
Some of you guys assume that everyone on this board is a moron.
Not everyone but as the board grows the Football IQ lowers. It is hard to tell anymore who is using sarcasm and who are actually morons. My bad.

LuckyGiraffe

no prob southeast...  (I tried to start posting sarcasm in green, but everyone told me that was a stupid idea.  Works on another board I frequent.)

MacHog19

Quote from: jst01 on December 21, 2009, 10:54:31 am

However, it does raise a concern.  Just as a game isn't over until the end of the 4th quarter, it doesn't look good if your team is behind by 30 points late in the second half.

bphi11ips

December 26, 2009, 10:20:41 am #47 Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:12:53 am by bphi11ips
Quote from: TX HOG on December 22, 2009, 08:09:27 pm
Quote from: swinesation on December 22, 2009, 11:35:07 pm
A couple of factors I see:
1) This is a weak year for recruits in Ark.
2) Kids see a team full of super freshmen/sophomores and they are hesitant to commit somewhere with no playing time in the near future.
3) Arkansas has no tradition of signing huge Defensive Linemen and sending them to the pros. We've always had a problem signing those guys. Maybe DD Jones will help change that.

All good points. This is how you explain an anomaly.  By postulating reasons.  Personal attacks on posters who raise valid questions does nothing to further the discussion.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

deshahawg

We can wait until final recruiting, but we aren't gonna have a killer class this year.

Lake City Hog

Many of you guys keeps saying that the "good players" that we have offered have decided to go somewhere else and I am absolutely certain that we have not gotten commitments from every player offered. I am also certain that no other team in America has gotten commitments from every player that they have offered.

Where things start to get a little fuzzy is the last couple of weeks, we have had some highly ranked prospects in for visits and haven't posted any commits from those visits. Some of those recruits have even pledged to other schools, does that mean that we really offered and they turned us down? Examples: a 4* DT came for a visit and supposedly got into a fight while here, did we offer after that? A juco 4* Olineman, December grad came in, bad grades? kept him from getting offer? Another juco Dec. grad came in DE, left and committed to TT, why? Who knows?

I see guys post that we have too many talented Freshmen and Sophomores, is this posted as sarcasm or what? Name me a top 25 team without talented Fr. and Soph.s. We don't have a history of signing big Dlinemen, and Texas Tech does? Or some posters say Fayetteville is A. in a bad location. or B. Not a good place for young black kids. Are you kidding? Lubbock, Texas, Oxford, Mississippi,  Opelika, Alabama, Manhattan, Kansas, yeah all of those places are hubs of entertainment and so racially diverse.

The truth is probably closer to this:
1. We have been turned down by some guys and we have turned down some guys. Only the coaching staff knows the full extent of the whys and hows.
2. This class is not finished. When it is finished it may be an excellent class or it may be just a good class.
3. This class will be the very best class that this staff could get and the University of Arkansas will get the full benefit of this class. (We won't see a lot of attrition)
4. The quality of this or any future class will not suffer because of a lack of work by this staff.