Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's learn from Kentucky

Started by hogluv, December 20, 2009, 08:52:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogluv

Kentucky let BG know after 2 years his losing would not be tolerated at the big blue. They fired BG, paid out a lot of money to get a proven coach and a top recruiting class.

Bring in Thad Matta and his top class and let's start winning against the big boys again.

Boston RedHogs

People need to stop citing UK as an example of what UofA should do.  I'm a Hog fan through and through, but the 2 programs are not even close to being comparable.

I know most like to live in the past, but the FACT is that we have been a middle of the road/bottom feeder for over a decade now.  That is the reality.

If you think we should go after a coach, that's your opinion.  But stop using what UK, Kansas, UNC, Duke do in these same situation as a blueprint of how it works.

We ARE NOT those programs.  It takes more than a paycheck to land a coach and if the PTB decide to make a change, we're not getting a Roy Williams/Bill Self-caliber coach....regardless of the money we're willing to shell out.

Marshfieldhog

We may not be kentucky but we should be just a notch below...we should either win the west or compete for it every single year. Its time for long to man up and make a stand..losing is not an option here

Lando Calrissian

Pel's "second year" won't be until 2019 if the "I support the coach no matter what!" crowd gets their way.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hogluv

Florida was not crap in football until Spurrier went there and made them a team. If Paul Bear Bryant had been given the AD job along with head coach at Arkansas we would be considered one of the greatest football programs instead of Alabama.

It starts with the coach!!!!

dagnamit

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on December 20, 2009, 09:22:56 am
People need to stop citing UK as an example of what UofA should do.  I'm a Hog fan through and through, but the 2 programs are not even close to being comparable.

I know most like to live in the past, but the FACT is that we have been a middle of the road/bottom feeder for over a decade now.  That is the reality.

If you think we should go after a coach, that's your opinion.  But stop using what UK, Kansas, UNC, Duke do in these same situation as a blueprint of how it works.

We ARE NOT those programs.  It takes more than a paycheck to land a coach and if the PTB decide to make a change, we're not getting a Roy Williams/Bill Self-caliber coach....regardless of the money we're willing to shell out.
with Nolan we made Kentucky and the SEC fear us....Now we are dreading them coming to BWA.

3kgthog

I don't think we want to be on probation like UK will be.

HawgAdvocate

Kentucky's entire "down" period consists of not making Final Fours..ours consisted of not making it past the 1st round of the tournament for nearly a decade, and multiple coaching changes at all the wrong times.

Anyone who tries to say we're similar programs needs to have their head checked.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: hogluv on December 20, 2009, 08:52:58 am
Kentucky let BG know after 2 years his losing would not be tolerated at the big blue. They fired BG, paid out a lot of money to get a proven coach and a top recruiting class.

Bring in Thad Matta and his top class and let's start winning against the big boys again.

fixed that for ya. And the state of Kentucky and it's bball program will pay for it sooner or later. But not Calipari, he's Teflon.

We don't want want that here.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on December 20, 2009, 12:11:33 pm
with Nolan we made Kentucky and the SEC fear us....Now we are dreading them coming to BWA.

Nolan's record against Kentucky wasn't that good.  Most of his wins came when KY was on probation and rebuilding.  By the time Pitino had been there a year or two we were not a real threat to them.  Go check some historical results.  By the time NR had his meltdown, we were not feared by anybody and several teams owned us, especially Ole Miss.

1highhog

We are not Kentucky.  Wait another 3 years when Calipari gets involved in some pay for play thing and he will run off somewhere else.

gocatsw00t

I would agree that the comparison is not right.  At first I thought the firing of UK coach BG was really sudden.  UK fans didnt find out until afterwords that Gillispie made his athletes eat poptarts to gain weight, made them sit in bathroom stalls, and that he drank like a fish.  He wouldn't let one player get on the bus with the team to go to a game which caused his parents to call the school and complain.  It was heavily rumored that many players were going to transfer if he came back. To this day UK fans still do not know the whole story. I'm not a Pelphrey apologist but I think a decent coach deserves a legitimate chance of 3-5 years.

husker71

We dont need Calapari, we need Worldwide Wes to show us some love.  He is Cals unofficial rep, and if you dont know about him just type in Worldwide Wes and start reading.

Hawgrox

If we would have hired Self instead of Heath (like we could have) then the Hogs would be in the top ten right now coming off our second straight Final Four appearance.

hogluv

The fans wanted Self but with Nolan screaming racism (which was taken to court 2x's and lost) we hired Heath. Nolan was a great coach but his beef with Frank Broyles hurt the UofA basketball program.

Danny J

The problem I have with pelphrey is the lack of progress this team seems to be making. Since pelphrey has been here we have consistently gotten worse game after game. He needs to show improvement with what he has to work with.

Hawgrox

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 20, 2009, 08:27:35 pm
The problem I have with pelphrey is the lack of progress this team seems to be making. Since pelphrey has been here we have consistently gotten worse game after game. He needs to show improvement with what he has to work with.

You mean we STILL aren't setting pics for Rot? We are STILL not in position to rebound? We STILL have blown assignments on Defense? We STILL don't move on offense?

Man...I remember the "Motion offense" that Nolan ran....

It was pretty much...

Press! STEAL! Pass! DUNK!

Those were the only motions that we needed....

Danny J

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 20, 2009, 08:49:26 pm
You mean we STILL aren't setting pics for Rot? We are STILL not in position to rebound? We STILL have blown assignments on Defense? We STILL don't move on offense?

It was pretty much...

LOL, try telling that to some people on this board and they want to argue with you.

dougieritch

Quote from: hogluv on December 20, 2009, 08:52:58 am

Seems like we tried this a few years ago and got EGG on our face.  Pel was our last choice.

Went after Coach Cal...FAIL
Went after Gillespie...FAIL
Went after Altman...FAIL

Good Try On Your Post.

Danny J

Quote from: dougieritch on December 20, 2009, 10:15:53 pm
Seems like we tried this a few years ago and got EGG on our face.  Pel was our last choice.

Went after Altman...FAIL

Good Try On Your Post.
I agree. I can not think of a PROVEN coach from a power conference, that plays the style of ball we want played here at the u of a, that would even consider coming to arkansas with our current apr status.

levelheaded

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on December 20, 2009, 12:11:33 pm
sorry, that was then and this is now....lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: dougieritch on December 20, 2009, 10:15:53 pm

Went after Altman...FAIL

Good Try On Your Post.

Exactly!  I wish I could go to sleep and wake up in the early 90s, but it's not going to happen.

If those that are screaming for Pel's head truly realized that we're simply not a college basketball destination anymore (and haven't been for a decade), then they would probably understand its in our best interest to try and weather this storm with Pel at the helm.

Make no mistake, we all want to win.  But the difference between Pel supporters and Pel haters is the Pel supporters have a holistic and realistic view of this program.  The Pel haters simply want him gone because they think getting rid of Pel will automatically guarantee a turnaround of the program (which it won't)

Admitting you have unrealistic expectations is the first step!!  I emphasize "unrealistic", because Pel haters think a dismissal of the head hog will lead to landing a proven, big name coach (it won't), who will turn this program around immediately (he will not).

Go Hogs
WPS

WilsonHog

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on December 20, 2009, 10:35:31 pm

Exactly!  I wish I could go to sleep and wake up in the early 90s, but it's not going to happen.

If those that are screaming for Pel's head truly realized that we're simply not a college basketball destination anymore (and haven't been for a decade), then they would probably understand its in our best interest to try and weather this storm with Pel at the helm.

Make no mistake, we all want to win.  But the difference between Pel supporters and Pel haters is the Pel supporters have a holistic and realistic view of this program.  The Pel haters simply want him gone because they think getting rid of Pel will automatically guarantee a turnaround of the program (which it won't)

Admitting you have unrealistic expectations is the first step!!  I emphasize "unrealistic", because Pel haters think a dismissal of the head hog will lead to landing a proven, big name coach (it won't), who will turn this program around immediately (he will not).

Go Hogs
WPS

We will never be a college basketball power again.

Yeah, you're right. That does feel a lot better. With that expectation deflated I can spend my time worrying about other things. 

levelheaded

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on December 20, 2009, 10:35:31 pm

Go Hogs
WPS
We could use more people like you in Monday Morning Quarterback....too many delusional fans there as well.
Just because it is fun to live in Arkansas for whatever reason someone has does not mean that recruits and the rest of the country thinks Arkansas is great as well. Sure, great to love Arkansas but not to expect that it is a magnet for sports greatness as well.

Danny J

Quote from: levelheaded on December 20, 2009, 10:41:34 pm
We could use more people like you in Monday Morning Quarterback....too many delusional fans there as well.
Just because it is fun to live in Arkansas for whatever reason someone has does not mean that recruits and the rest of the country thinks Arkansas is great as well. Sure, great to love Arkansas but not to expect that it is a magnet for sports greatness as well.
Marshawn Powell said in an interview that one of the major factors in picking arkansas was the history and especially the championship run in the early to mid 90's.

levelheaded

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 20, 2009, 10:44:49 pm
Marshawn Powell said in an interview that one of the major factors in picking arkansas was the history and especially the championship run in the early to mid 90's.
ok so we got one.....bring on more...bring on enough to make us a competitive program year in and year out....until we get the fan base to straighten up and get it together our public perception will continue to drive the country and recruits away from arkansas.

Danny J

Quote from: levelheaded on December 20, 2009, 10:47:56 pm
ok so we got one.....bring on more...bring on enough to make us a competitive program year in and year out....until we get the fan base to straighten up and get it together our public perception will continue to drive the country and recruits away from arkansas.
No I dont think I need to. You implied that no recruits are going to come to the u of a because of the run we had in the 90's. One of our best recruits in many years came all the way from virginia and just proved you wrong. Our history is still a good recruiting tool. Dont get me wrong...I am not making excuses for pelphrey. I am just simply making the statement that our history should be used as a recruiting tool by someone who knows how to do so when on the road recruiting. The best way as i see it for getting big time recruits to come to fayetteville is to talk about our history, mention that their are no other ncaa teams we really compete with in the media along with no pro team sports to compete with and most important for getting big time recruits is to hire a big time coach to draw those big time players. To get a big time coach we would have to pay BIG $ on the order of what kentucky or florida pay their coaching staff.

levelheaded

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 20, 2009, 11:08:17 pm
No I dont think I need to. You implied that no recruits are going to come to the u of a because of the run we had in the 90's. One of our best recruits in many years came all the way from virginia and just proved you wrong. Our history is still a good recruiting tool. Dont get me wrong...I am not making excuses for pelphrey. I am just simply making the statement that our history should be used as a recruiting tool by someone who knows how to do so when on the road recruiting. The best way as i see it for getting big time recruits to come to fayetteville is to talk about our history, mention that their are no other ncaa teams we really compete with in the media along with no pro team sports to compete with and most important for getting big time recruits is to hire a big time coach to draw those big time players. To get a big time coach we would have to pay BIG $ on the order of what kentucky or florida pay their coaching staff.
i agree that we do not need a better coach and also we could not get a better coach to come to arkansas anyways. we cannot change our stripes and our brief history of ncaa dominance will not consistently get the players we need....we need to adjust our expectations.

Danny J

Quote from: levelheaded on December 21, 2009, 09:17:43 am
i agree that we do not need a better coach and also we could not get a better coach to come to arkansas anyways. we cannot change our stripes and our brief history of ncaa dominance will not consistently get the players we need....we need to adjust our expectations.
You can adjust your expectations but mine will always remain high for any sport the u of a participates in.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 20, 2009, 08:49:26 pm

It was pretty much...

You're forgetting one thing; After the Hogs won the 1994 national championship, the NCAA
changed the rules and made hand checking a foul. That move (which forced Nolan to
alter his defensive game plan making it much less effective) and the serious decline in
recruiting along with Nolan's constant spewing of racial hatred finally led to his firing IMO.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Danny J

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 21, 2009, 03:41:24 pm
You're forgetting one thing; After the Hogs won the 1994 national championship, the NCAA
changed the rules and made hand checking a foul. That move (which forced Nolan to
alter his defensive game plan making it much less effective) with cuicand the serious decline in
recruiting along with Nolan's constant spewing of racial hatred finally led to his firing IMO.
Alot of people forget about the hand checking rule. 10 or 11 years ago I called into sportsrap with chuck barrett and he told me that made no difference in how we played defense. I laughed at him and told him that it didnt sound to me like he knew much about playing defense.

The Boar War

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 21, 2009, 03:41:24 pm
alter his defensive game plan making it much less effective) and the serious decline in

Actually they called hand checking several times during the national champiosnhip game.  I had thought the same thing you did but I watched the replay today.

levelheaded

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 21, 2009, 03:18:41 pm
You can adjust your expectations but mine will always remain high for any sport the u of a participates in.
Well we are not Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Texas, or Kansas.
We are not even Florida, Syracuse, Oklahoma, or UCLA.
Not even USC, Gonzaga, Wake Forest.
We are Arkansas and we are what we are. We shot to the top 15 years ago and maybe that will happen again for a year or two in the next 30 years, but we cannot and will not become a dominant power year in and year out ever, but we can be a tournament team most years who wins 1 or 2 games.
Nothing wrong or embarassing about those expectations...those are more realistic and are more in line with what we could acheive, not with what we want to achieve.

Danny J

Quote from: The Boar War on December 21, 2009, 05:14:10 pm
Actually they called hand checking several times during the national champiosnhip game.  I had thought the same thing you did but I watched the replay today.
I am not positive but I dont think hand-checking was implemented until after the 95 season. I watch the championship game all the time and I cant recall either team being called for handchecking. I will try to watch it again tonight but you might be right.

The Boar War

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 21, 2009, 06:30:13 pm
I am not positive but I dont think hand-checking was implemented until after the 95 season. I watch the championship game all the time and I cant recall either team being called for handchecking. I will try to watch it again tonight but you might be right.

I watched it again.  The first call was early in the first half.  It was called against Ken Biley.  He had been doing it all game and the announcer kept saying it was probably in his assignment because he had fouls to give (McDaniel was subbing in for him).  So hand checking was a foul at that point.  My guess is that the NCAA put a stop to hand checking entirely after the 1995 season.

Danny J

Quote from: The Boar War on December 21, 2009, 11:03:16 pm
I watched it again.  The first call was early in the first half.  It was called against Ken Biley.  He had been doing it all game and the announcer kept saying it was probably in his assignment because he had fouls to give (McDaniel was subbing in for him).  So hand checking was a foul at that point.  My guess is that the NCAA put a stop to hand checking entirely after the 1995 season.
Yeah, that sounds about right because I know that it was after we won the title that it was really being pushed by the NCAA. Hand-checking is really almost a interpretation call anyways. I went through the records to find a date when it was supposedly implemented and could not find the date anywhere so I am assuming it has been in the rule book for decades but because teams like arkansas, kentucky and duke were routinely using it on the ball handlers once they crossed the half court line they began to really start to crack down on it. Alot of people seem to forget that our guards through the late 80's - mid 90's all had really long wingspans. Linzie howell, todd day, lee mayberry, clint mcdaniel...so we didnt nearly rely on the hand check so much as trapping players either on the side line or using the half court line as a 3rd defender. We really have not had any guards here since those days who had that type of wingspan. I can think of a fejohnson & brewer) but thats about it.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogluv on December 20, 2009, 10:51:56 am
Florida was not crap in football until Spurrier went there and made them a team. If Paul Bear Bryant had been given the AD job along with head coach at Arkansas we would be considered one of the greatest football programs instead of Alabama.

youre reaching badly on the Bear Bryant thing
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Iwastherein1969

So the PEL PAL'S tell us we are not on par with mighty Kentucky....Yes, I'll admit, we are not. However just because our program is not equal to Kentucky doesn't mean you don't follow their blue-print for success. UK does not tolerate losing. Pel's Pals tolerate losing. And for this distinction Pel's Pals will tell you that patience is a virtue and all things come to those who wait. What Pel's Pals don't get into is specifics. Like exactly what is John Pelphrey doing to get our program where we all would enjoy it to be. There are vague inferences of all the obstacles Pelphrey inherited when he got here. Well no one inherited more obstacles than did Tom Crean at Indiana, and I'd have to say the Hoosiers are much further along than we are. Oh, wait, I'm sure the inevitable Pel's Pals crew will counter with "well, we aren't IU either". Well then, Pel's Pals, who are we ? I can hear it now, if somehow this crew wins say 5 games in the SEC and maybe 1 in the SEC tournament, Pel's Pals will tell us that the Hogs improved an astonishing 300 % over the previous year. Yes the math may say such, but I compare Pelphrey to a penny stock, doesn't take much upward movement to increase value exponentially. This is how far we have fallen.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hogluv

I agree we might now be Kentucky but when people do research on how to make their business successful they do not research the companies on the verge of bankruptcy. They find out exactly what works and what does not so that they too will be a success.

I say to the fans that think Pel should have another year call the UofA and tell them you guys will pay his salary. I have found when it is coming out of peoples pockets directly they are a lot more pickey.

PeytonManningSUCKS

The argument against using KY as an example isn't just that we aren't KY, but also Pel isn't BFG.  BFG would still be at KY even with losses if he wasn't a total d!$k. Don't get me wrong, the losses certainly didn't help, but they didn't like him at all either. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021876
Granted firing BFG for character issues to hire Calipari is a bit puzzling.  Except Calipari is a bonafide big name coach and probably at least likable.  BFG isn't very likable.