Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Porkatarian believes Mike Anderson would jump at the Arkansas job if offered.

Started by Atkinhog5, December 16, 2009, 05:48:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 10:21:29 am
Oh, the guy who was well-known to be retiring at the time of the coaching search?? The guy who was told to stay out of the coaching search and let the paid headhunters conduct it in complete privacy?? The disgraced guy who was pushed out of his decision-making role in Razorback Athletics???

Yeah, let's blame him. He's an easy scapegoat in this scenario. Certainly any coach wouldn't want to have to deal with "B" once or (maybe) twice a year at fundraising events. God help us.

Ah, but with no scapegoat, one is required to do some soul searching and take responsibility. Much easier to blame it on someone else.

jgphillips3

farmhawg

Some of you like the style of play and level of achievement that Pel brings. Some of us don't.

Go back and read. Broyles screwed up the entire coaching search and was not "retired" then.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: The Pig on December 17, 2009, 10:25:59 am
Ah, but with no scapegoat, one is required to do some soul searching and take responsibility. Much easier to blame it on someone else.
Brilliant.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: Toad Suck Pork on December 17, 2009, 09:53:51 am

Like Wilson said, way to play up Pel's "loyalty" and discount our final fours and national championships in the 90's.

If you go back (just a few posts) I said it would show no loyalty to the coach on the University's behalf after he took a job nobody else wanted.  Not the other way around.

Blind Hatred only makes you blind.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on December 17, 2009, 10:28:44 am
If you go back (just a few posts) I said it would show no loyalty to the coach on the University's behalf after he took a job nobody else wanted.  Not the other way around.

Blind Hatred only makes you blind.

I'm much more concerned with winning basketball games than I am with showing loyalty to John Pelphrey.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: farmhawg on December 17, 2009, 10:27:17 am
Some of you like the style of play and level of achievement that Pel brings. Some of us don't.

Go back and read. Broyles screwed up the entire coaching search and was not "retired" then.

Why should I "go back and read" when apparaently I have a living expert in you to reeducate us all??

And where would I "go back and read" anyway? This board?? With all of it's hearsay, biased opinions, hopeless dreams, delusions, and utter nonsense?? LOL yeah, plenty of truth to be found.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2009, 10:33:13 am
I'm much more concerned with winning basketball games than I am with showing loyalty to John Pelphrey.

Obviously. 

Which is why no high level coach would want to come here.  1 bad season = fans abandon program, call for firing, bring old coaches back, etc...  What coach wouldn't want to come here?  jeez.

Temprees

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on December 17, 2009, 10:46:50 am
Obviously. 

Which is why no high level coach would want to come here.  1 bad season = fans abandon program, call for firing, bring old coaches back, etc...  What coach wouldn't want to come here?  jeez.
It worked pretty well for North Carolina, when they brought an old coach (Roy Williams) back.  Old Roy had just been a lowly assistant at NC under the Dean.   

GuvHog

Quote from: Temprees on December 17, 2009, 11:17:49 am
It worked pretty well for North Carolina, when they brought an old coach (Roy Williams) back.  Old Roy had just been a lowly assistant at NC under the Dean.  

Roy wasn't the right hand man of a head coach who constantly spewed racial hatred
from 1996 until he was fired either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mbgrulz

Obviously. 

Yea, look at what it did to Kentucky after getting rid of BG after 2 mediocre seasons.

This is not a case of not letting a guy build his program. This is a case of just not getting it done. We have gotten worse every year under JP.

BTW, Could Bama State win the 7A state championship? I'm not sure they could. That was about as bad a college team as I have seen.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Temprees on December 17, 2009, 11:17:49 am
Quote from: mbgrulz on December 17, 2009, 11:22:43 am
Yea, look at what it did to Kentucky after getting rid of BG after 2 mediocre seasons.

This is not a case of not letting a guy build his program. This is a case of just not getting it done. We have gotten worse every year under JP.

BTW, Could Bama State win the 7A state championship? I'm not sure they could. That was about as bad a college team as I have seen.

I had no idea we've been on par with Kentucky and UNC this entire decade.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HogInThaGrove

By all means, let's hire Roy Williams (got fan kicked out for yelling "don't miss it" to one of his players) and Calipari (2 teams seasons wiped clean because of cheating).  Winning is apparently the only thing that matters. 

Roy and Cal were coaches at big time programs before going to another big time program.  No coach from a big time program is going to come here currently.  And before you say MA, Mizzou is not a big time program, sorry.

lookinupthehill

Quote from: farmhawg on December 17, 2009, 10:16:07 am
Starts with a "B". Any idea?
Ok, that COULD be considered a valid arguement for MA depending on the timing of his exodus. 

What about all the other BCS coaches that were supposedly clammoring to get in here. Best I can recall we were shotdown by all the ones we talked to.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on December 17, 2009, 11:42:18 am
By all means, let's hire Roy Williams (got fan kicked out for yelling "don't miss it" to one of his players) and Calipari (2 teams seasons wiped clean because of cheating).  Winning is apparently the only thing that matters. 

Roy and Cal were coaches at big time programs before going to another big time program.  No coach from a big time program is going to come here currently.  And before you say MA, Mizzou is not a big time program, sorry.

Winning is the most important thing. If you think it isn't, then you are not very educated on how the coaching world works. Next time somebody gets hired because they are a nice guy, email me. I'd like to see that.

I'm not saying we are on par with UK, so don't get me wrong on that

Have you talked to all the coaches at big-time programs? You know they aren't coming?

Make no mistake, Arkansas will have to throw big boy $$$ at their next coach. That is the only thing that will save our program. We CANNOT hire another ho-hum mid major project.

To me, a big time program is a BCS program. That is my definition. Anybody with any brains doesn't even consider going into a UNC or UK and stealing their coach, but I think you can get a coach from a BCS school without much tradition who has their program on the rise.

Prime examples= Matt Painter & Frank Martin

BTW, Mike Anderson is not tops high on my wish list. I would be happy with him though.

huthut

Hiring a coach with a proven record does not mean bankrupting yourself
by bringing in a "Roy Williams", "Bobby Knight", etc. etc...... Besides.....
truthfully.... where have these two coaches ever coached that their school
didn't basically recruit by itself? Nolan came in here having won a JC nc, and
an NIT championship. That is a proven record. Proof that the man could
coach. Im sick of "one hit wonders". Stan Heath? One good year at Kent State,
where his kids mutinied him when he tried to implement his coaching
ideas, then went back to the previous coach's style and went far at the
dance. Pelphrey never had enough experience to come here in the first
place. You coach at a small school like he came from you take left-overs,
and trouble makers that most elite schools stay clear of. Pel brought that
recruiting philosophy with him to Walton arena, and the smell of it is
starting to reek after yes........only 3 years. Nip it in the bud and nip it
fast folks. It'll get worse before it'll get better, and if that's not as plain
as the nose on your face, then you're looking at this with your eyes closed.
If you are one of the ones saying give the man a chance, honestly ask
yourself if you've seen anything that leads you to believe that he can do any
of these three things:
1. Coach a division 1 basketball team to a winning record.
2. Recruit division 1 talent to a traditionally strong division 1 school.
3. Discipline players in a way that they respond positively and come back
as better and more mature players than they were.

He's 0 for 3 in my opinion.

ua_hogs

hawkhawg

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on December 17, 2009, 09:33:12 am
Nolan Richardson was here for 17 years, won 1 National Championship, went 2 years in a row, and the only reason was a McD's All-American from the state of Arkansas and a once in a lifetime shot from Scotty Thurman. 

We can't give Pel 3 years?

And by the way, I love Nolan, and he was most likely right about a lot of things, but just went about it the wrong way.

And I like Mike too, but getting rid of a coach who WANTED the job when nobody else did does not show loyalty to a coach and his desire to rebuild a program.  It makes us look like sissy little girls who are jealous of the big girls (Kentucky) when they get something new (Calipari), and we throw a temper tantrum. 

Flame Away. 

Yes but Nolan had about five teams that were capable of winning a National Championship and only had about 3 or 4 teams that were not good enough to make it to the sweet 16.  It does take luck to win but you have to the players to get you to  games that matter.

Porkatarian

Frank's "go betweens" had Billy Gillespie ready to come to Arkansas.

Frank then gave BCG a low ball offer (couldn't pay him more than his beloved Nutt) and then gave him a timeline to take it or leave it.  Then Kentucky came calling...

Frank then scrambled to find a coach, so he could take off for Augusta National, so we hired Dana Altman.

As soon as Frank set foot on the plane, John White took the opportunity to put a knife in Frank's back.  He basically resended all of the promises that Frank made to Altman, including not allowing him to bring his academic support staff with him to Fayetteville.

Altman found himself in the middle of a political pissing match and got the heck out of Dodge.

Then White stepped in, forced Frank into retirement, and took over the search.

White had coaches like Oliver Purnell (sp?) wanting the job, but he wouldn't interview them b/c they didn't fit his description of a young, up & coming, uptempo basketball coach.  Instead he shelled out a large chunck of change to a search firm.

Then we hired John Pelphrey and just like every other time that White has had hid hands in athletics, it hasn't turned out well.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

heathtits

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 11:31:34 am
I had no idea we've been on par with Kentucky and UNC this entire decade.

Yeah since UK has been SOO freaking sweet.

It's time for you to give it up. If you can't sit here and admit to me that despite the victory last night, our team is absolutely PAINFUL to watch, I will not believe you if you tell me you know basketball and actually care for the well being of our program. The stands were freaking BARREN, he is driving us into the ground.

Besides them finally rebounding, it took us WAYY to long to takeover that game.

We still, in THREE FREAKING YEARS, have yet to even see uptempo ball. The worst team that Nolan had EVER assemebled would have been up by 20-30 at the half and had 55 sweet dunks in that 20 minute period. Pelphrey is so freakin lame I feel like he tells the team not to dunk. NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH A 6,10 MIKE W. SHOOT LAYUPs. This team is absolutely worse to watch than last years. How can you even dispute that?

Pelphrey trying to run a transition system looks like a tranny trying to sneak onto the cover of maxim.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: heathtits on December 17, 2009, 03:34:59 pm
Yeah since UK has been SOO freaking sweet.

It's time for you to give it up. If you can't sit here and admit to me that despite the victory last night, our team is absolutely PAINFUL to watch, I will not believe you if you tell me you know basketball and actually care for the well being of our program. The stands were freaking BARREN, he is driving us into the ground.

Besides them finally rebounding, it took us WAYY to long to takeover that game.

We still, in THREE FREAKING YEARS, have yet to even see uptempo ball. The worst team that Nolan had EVER assemebled would have been up by 20-30 at the half and had 55 sweet dunks in that 20 minute period. Pelphrey is so freakin lame I feel like he tells the team not to dunk. NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH A 6,10 MIKE W. SHOOT LAYUPs. This team is absolutely worse to watch than last years. How can you even dispute that?

Pelphrey trying to run a transition system looks like a tranny trying to sneak onto the cover of maxim.

Give what up? Give up the idea that we're going to get better? Do you think I see a top 25 team out there? Don't be absurd.

I know it's not pretty. We didn't have two of our three best players out there last night. We have role players (mostly all new faces) playing major minutes where stars should be.

But it's still Razorback basketball. It's my favorite Razorback sport. And it won't get better simply by closing our eyes or cussing the coach.

We had uptempo ball in his first season. You must have forgotten. We're two years and 1.5 months of the season in...not 3 years. And uptempo play is starting to reveal itself more and more. Just because it's not out of control Fortson-like play doesn't mean it isn't uptempo. We don't exactly run the entire shot clock down before we shoot, or did you have another definition of uptempo that is unheard of?? Be accurate if you're going to make points.

The stands are always barren during non-conference time. Fact. Maybe NOT AS barren as they are now, but it is finals time and it won't be any prettier with the cold, wet winter we're supposed to have. The team isn't grand, get over it. It will get better. It hasn't been a fantastic program in a loooong time.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy it. Big whoop. It's no skin off my back though.

claycohog

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: claycohog on December 17, 2009, 04:26:35 pm
that's correct.  What's the latest on Fortson?

I haven't asked my sources on when his next test will be. You're the guy who continues to claim to be in the know, despite having not one claim (that I'm aware of) come to fruition. Pick at me all you want bub, at least my nose is clean.

When you run your mouth as if you're all-knowing, as you have, you better be right about what you say. It's normally better to not count your chickens until they hatch.

claycohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 05:11:58 pm
I haven't asked my sources on when his next test will be. You're the guy who continues to claim to be in the know, despite having not one claim (that I'm aware of) come to fruition. Pick at me all you want bub, at least my nose is clean.

When you run your mouth as if you're all-knowing, as you have, you better be right about what you say. It's normally better to not count your chickens until they hatch.
Why don't you do us all a favor and ask.  Then you will be the one to break the news, bub.  Your skin better thicken soon if me asking a simple question gets under it that easily.  It's only going to get worse around here.

Temprees

Quote from: GUVHOG on December 17, 2009, 11:21:08 am
Roy wasn't the right hand man of a head coach who constantly spewed racial hatred
from 1996 until he was fired either.
Nolan never spewed racial hatred.  Second Mike was an assistant coach, just like Roy Williams was under Dean.  No matter how many times you make that racial hatred statement, it still does not make it true.  I suspect that there is a little racial bias in your walk.

Temprees

Mizzou was big-time enough of a program that Anderson turned down Memphis' offer to be their coach.  What does that do to your argument?

Temprees

Quote from: lookinupthehill on December 17, 2009, 12:06:30 pm
Ok, that COULD be considered a valid arguement for MA depending on the timing of his exodus. 

What about all the other BCS coaches that were supposedly clammoring to get in here. Best I can recall we were shotdown by all the ones we talked to.
Not true.  Oliver Purnell wanted the job, but White and JFB did not want him, even though he was and still is more qualified than Pelphrey.

Temprees

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 17, 2009, 03:21:12 pm
Frank's "go betweens" had Billy Gillespie ready to come to Arkansas.

Frank then gave BCG a low ball offer (couldn't pay him more than his beloved Nutt) and then gave him a timeline to take it or leave it.  Then Kentucky came calling...

Frank then scrambled to find a coach, so he could take off for Augusta National, so we hired Dana Altman.

As soon as Frank set foot on the plane, John White took the opportunity to put a knife in Frank's back.  He basically resended all of the promises that Frank made to Altman, including not allowing him to bring his academic support staff with him to Fayetteville.

Altman found himself in the middle of a political pissing match and got the heck out of Dodge.

Then White stepped in, forced Frank into retirement, and took over the search.

White had coaches like Oliver Purnell (sp?) wanting the job, but he wouldn't interview them b/c they didn't fit his description of a young, up & coming, uptempo basketball coach.  Instead he shelled out a large chunck of change to a search firm.

Then we hired John Pelphrey and just like every other time that White has had hid hands in athletics, it hasn't turned out well.

Porkatarian out...
Agreed, but Anthony Grant (now at Alabama) was more qualified that Pelphrey at the time.  White had no interest in hiring Grant, who also was a young, up and comer, who coached an up-tempo style.  I remember that quite a few fan were really excited about Grant.

DoubleJ

Quote from: Temprees on December 17, 2009, 05:50:55 pm
Agreed, but Anthony Grant (now at Alabama) was more qualified that Pelphrey at the time.  White had no interest in hiring Grant, who also was a young, up and comer, who coached an up-tempo style.  I remember that quite a few fan were really excited about Grant.

I was excited about Grant, and still am.  He will have Alabama playing good ball.

farmhawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 05:11:58 pm

You are very condescending and quite arrogant. Yet you still haven't ever given good reasons to keep Pel.
From theflyinghog

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: claycohog on December 17, 2009, 05:25:48 pm
Why don't you do us all a favor and ask.  Then you will be the one to break the news, bub.  Your skin better thicken soon if me asking a simple question gets under it that easily.  It's only going to get worse around here.

You'll notice I keep my business to myself. If I do ask and find an answer, I'll tell whom I want to tell.

But if you're spreading what I know to be false,  I'm not afraid to let ya know bub. And I think I made it clear in my previous post that you're not bothering me a bit.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: farmhawg on December 17, 2009, 06:32:53 pm
You are very condescending and quite arrogant. Yet you still haven't ever given good reasons to keep Pel.

I didn't know I needed to.

claycohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 07:33:05 pm
You'll notice I keep my business to myself. If I do ask and find an answer, I'll tell whom I want to tell.

But if you're spreading what I know to be false,  I'm not afraid to let ya know bub. And I think I made it clear in my previous post that you're not bothering me a bit.
Then that simple question should not bother you one bit.  That's what is was, a simple question.  Can you not answer it, or is it that you don't want to answer it?

Why would that simple question disturb you so much?  Have I ever hounded you over any info that you have been kind enough to share with the board?  Go back and dig into previous posts that I have made.  It wouldn't be the 1st time.  Speaking of time, it seems you have plenty of it.  I'm sure you will respond in a matter of seconds.

Cajun Hog

Obviously. 

Two BAD seasoning and more to come.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: claycohog on December 17, 2009, 09:34:23 pm
Then that simple question should not bother you one bit.  That's what is was, a simple question.  Can you not answer it, or is it that you don't want to answer it?

Why would that simple question disturb you so much?  Have I ever hounded you over any info that you have been kind enough to share with the board?  Go back and dig into previous posts that I have made.  It wouldn't be the 1st time.  Speaking of time, it seems you have plenty of it.  I'm sure you will respond in a matter of seconds.

Seconds? Nah, more like an hour. Sorry to disappoint. I do a lot of work with the computer, so I afford myself numerous breaks to check email and such. And I don't think I know what question you're referring to. If it's when Fortson will come back, which doesn't bother me (why would it?), I've already said I don't know.

When you decide to declare new "prophecies" that I don't agree with, I will provide disclaimers stating that you have been dead wrong in the past. If you were to simply state that "things are always subject to change," when you claim Pel is gone just 45 days into the season, I wouldn't waste my time. Wreckless rumor-mongering of such magnitude will scare recruits who read this board, as well as fans who want to enjoy Razorback basketball.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 10:23:51 pm
will scare recruits who read this board, as well as fans who want to enjoy Razorback basketball.

Breaking News..... 99% of the people posting are Razorback Basketball fans and a large number don't support Pel.  Learn the difference and life might be easiser for and your gang.

claycohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 17, 2009, 10:23:51 pm
Seconds? Nah, more like an hour. Sorry to disappoint. I do a lot of work with the computer, so I afford myself numerous breaks to check email and such. And I don't think I know what question you're referring to. If it's when Fortson will come back, which doesn't bother me (why would it?), I've already said I don't know.

When you decide to declare new "prophecies" that I don't agree with, I will provide disclaimers stating that you have been dead wrong in the past. If you were to simply state that "things are always subject to change," when you claim Pel is gone just 45 days into the season, I wouldn't waste my time. Wreckless rumor-mongering of such magnitude will scare recruits who read this board, as well as fans who want to enjoy Razorback basketball.
So that's your main concern?  Recruits and fans that enjoy watching this crap?  LOL!

cosmodrum

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 16, 2009, 06:53:02 pm
Of course we are. Just listen to all the experts on here. Anderson will never lose a game and be the greatest coach that ever walked. He will be able to coach a game, bake a cake, solve the economic recession and heal some sick people all at the same time. Of course it is going to be a cold day in hell before some of us ever watch another game if he becomes coach, but that doesnt matter. Just win and win now or we will fire your ass.

Are you talking about MA or Tim Tebow?
Go away, batin'

Kevin

i would have said no to oliver pernell.  anthony grant was my pick but we took pel.

now give it time   
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Cajun Hog on December 17, 2009, 11:11:30 pm
Breaking News..... 99% of the people posting are Razorback Basketball fans and a large number don't support Pel.  Learn the difference and life might be easiser for and your gang.

LOL Learn the difference? Son, I've got more than 5,000 posts that say I understand differing opinions. Been there, done that. But if you don't think the BS hater rumors/opinions don't rub off on people, you're sadly mistaken. I get texts and emails from friends almost weekly, asking me what's going on with Razorback basketball based on what they read here. Hogville is very powerful, yet some of you guys want no responsibility for the baseless BS you stir up.

Hence why I laugh about how many fools believe every little detail that is posted on here, especially those that have turned out to be utterly false.

Quote from: claycohog on December 18, 2009, 07:23:08 am
So that's your main concern?  Recruits and fans that enjoy watching this crap?  LOL!

Speaking of BS rumors being proven false....I was thinking. Didn't you also jump on the bandwagon stating that Powell would never play here due to academics? Would that make FOUR supposed "insider" claims you've made that never came true?? Like I said, I don't doubt you hear things, but jeez, get something right for once. You've got so much egg on your face from last year, it's no wonder you're so filled with anger and hatred for a rebuilding program. The LAST thing you want is to see Pelphrey succeed. And that's pathetic.

Yes, I definitely enjoy watching Razorback basketball. I'll enjoy it no matter who the coach is, or what the record is. I'm a fan, that's what I do. I'll support Mike Anderson if he indeed becomes the next coach. I think it'd be foolish of him to do so though. You'll turn on him when he takes multiple years to rebuild, in the SEC he'll lose quite a bit on the road with his pressing style that won't get home cooking calls, in the SEC his teams will get outrebounded on most occasions, and his recruiting will rarely bring in the stars you demand to take the team back to the Sweet 16 annually. But hey, hiring him will make you feel better in the short-term, and that's all you really care about.

RJ_May

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 18, 2009, 09:17:49 am
LOL Learn the difference? Son, I've got more than 5,000 posts that say I understand differing opinions. Been there, done that. But if you don't think the BS hater rumors/opinions don't rub off on people, you're sadly mistaken. I get texts and emails from friends almost weekly, asking me what's going on with Razorback basketball based on what they read here. Hogville is very powerful, yet some of you guys want no responsibility for the baseless BS you stir up.

Hence why I laugh about how many fools believe every little detail that is posted on here, especially those that have turned out to be utterly false.

Speaking of BS rumors being proven false....I was thinking. Didn't you also jump on the bandwagon stating that Powell would never play here due to academics? Would that make FOUR supposed "insider" claims you've made that never came true?? Like I said, I don't doubt you hear things, but jeez, get something right for once. You've got so much egg on your face from last year, it's no wonder you're so filled with anger and hatred for a rebuilding program. The LAST thing you want is to see Pelphrey succeed. And that's pathetic.

Yes, I definitely enjoy watching Razorback basketball. I'll enjoy it no matter who the coach is, or what the record is. I'm a fan, that's what I do. I'll support Mike Anderson if he indeed becomes the next coach. I think it'd be foolish of him to do so though. You'll turn on him when he takes multiple years to rebuild, in the SEC he'll lose quite a bit on the road with his pressing style that won't get home cooking calls, in the SEC his teams will get outrebounded on most occasions, and his recruiting will rarely bring in the stars you demand to take the team back to the Sweet 16 annually. But hey, hiring him will make you feel better in the short-term, and that's all you really care about.

Have you watched SEC basketball lately? It's a mess. MA would win atleast 20 games a year here. The conference was much stronger in the 90's. I don't expect Arkansas to be Uk, UNC or Duke but I expect alot more than what I'm seeing right now.

claycohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 18, 2009, 09:17:49 am

Have you figured out that you're in the minority?  Do you actually think that Pel can get it done here, or in any BCS conference for that matter?  WHEN Pel is canned "I" will feel better about the leadership of our athletic dept. (along with 90% of the fanbase)

The next coach may not be Mike Anderson, but there is mutual interest.  Firing Pel is the initial move that has to be made to get our program turned around.  You don't agree with that, we get it.  Too bad you don't.

The Pig

Quote from: claycohog on December 18, 2009, 11:25:24 am
Have you figured out that you're in the minority?  Do you actually think that Pel can get it done here, or in any BCS conference for that matter?  WHEN Pel is canned "I" will feel better about the leadership of our athletic dept. (along with 90% of the fanbase)

The next coach may not be Mike Anderson, but there is mutual interest.  Firing Pel is the initial move that has to be made to get our program turned around.  You don't agree with that, we get it.  Too bad you don't.

Because you are willing to jump on the prevalent bandwagon of anti-Pel folks around here does not make a 90% majority.

In fact, even though many are dissatisfied with the program in its current state, the percentage who want to replace Pel right now is no where near 90% I would wager.

Firing Pel may very well not get you the results you want....You don't agree with that....we get it....too bad you don't!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: claycohog on December 18, 2009, 11:25:24 am

Like I give a damn if I'm in the minority or the majority. My beliefs are my own. I don't require anyone's approval to know I enjoy Razorback basketball more than most of you.

The prior two times we've fired a coach (this decade!!!!), we've had to start over from the bottom up, with lessening interest from the coaching world each time thanks in large to the quick trigger our decision-makers appear to have. Heath's 20 win seasons weren't good enough. Nolan's declining success wasn't good enough. Pel's rebuilding project isn't going fast enough.

You love the idea of firing the coach, but you don't take two seconds to think of where we'll be after we fire the one guy (out of like 6 or 7 who we previously offered/courted??) that wanted the job in the first place just 3 years ago. You're setting the Arkansas job up to be a death trap for any coach who chooses to come here. We're going to be the Washington Redskins of college basketball if we keep up this level of impatience and instability. Take your homer glasses off and look at how pathetic our leadership will appear to be if Arkansas fires 3 coaches in one decade (not to mention the one who probably saved his career by running back home to Creighton just 24 hours after getting a good dose of Arkansas power players). Yes sir!! Winning coaches from allllllll over will line right up so they too can be the next one in line to get ran out of town.

And if you really do "get it,"  you'll take time to look before you leap.

Atkinhog5

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 18, 2009, 11:42:49 am
Like I give a damn if I'm in the minority or the majority. My beliefs are my own. I don't require anyone's approval to know I enjoy Razorback basketball more than most of you.

The prior two times we've fired a coach (this decade!!!!), we've had to start over from the bottom up, with lessening interest from the coaching world each time thanks in large to the quick trigger our decision-makers appear to have. Heath's 20 win seasons weren't good enough. Nolan's declining success wasn't good enough. Pel's rebuilding project isn't going fast enough.

You love the idea of firing the coach, but you don't take two seconds to think of where we'll be after we fire the one guy (out of like 6 or 7 who we previously offered/courted??) that wanted the job in the first place just 3 years ago. You're setting the Arkansas job up to be a death trap for any coach who chooses to come here. We're going to be the Washington Redskins of college basketball if we keep up this level of impatience and instability.

And if you really do "get it," then you'll take time to look before you leap.
This is all good and fine if there was really a big time coaching search last time, but there wasn't. What Broyles and wally hall did was conduct a "mock" search to bring about the scenario in which fans would settle for Altman after six years of Heath.

they didn't go after any big time coach that would require atleast 1.5 million. Instead, Broyles went after the up and comer from Creighton.

However, if they go and get Anderson, there is no doubt he can turn this around. That is what good coaches do. He did at UAB and Missouri. they were both in worst shape than arkansas is now.

Plus, John Pelphrey has been a digression from Heath, and no program can continue to digress for three years

The Pig

Quote from: Atkinhog5 on December 18, 2009, 12:01:01 pm
This is all good and fine if there was really a big time coaching search last time, but there wasn't. What Broyles and wally hall did was conduct a "mock" search to bring about the scenario in which fans would settle for Altman after six years of Heath.

they didn't go after any big time coach that would require atleast 1.5 million. Instead, Broyles went after the up and comer from Creighton.

However, if they go and get Anderson, there is no doubt he can turn this around. That is what good coaches do. He did at UAB and Missouri. they were both in worst shape than arkansas is now.

Plus, John Pelphrey has been a digression from Heath, and no program can continue to digress for three years

Ah but just think, maybe next time they will include Bo Mattingly, Randy Rainwater and maybe Nate Allen in addition to Wally Hall on the search team.

HogInThaGrove

Goodness, I didn't realize Wally Hall was so influential.  I gotta get into the newspaper business, it's so booming these days.

HogInThaGrove

His 2007-08 campaign saw the inclusion of his nephew DeMarre Carroll, a transfer from Vanderbilt, but also was hit by scandal, as a group of players (the "Athena Five", so named for where the incident took place) were arrested for a fight in a Columbia nightclub. Weeks later, starting forward Kalen Grimes was dismissed from the team after being arrested for hitting a man with the butt of a shotgun. the Tigers finished 16-16, crashing out of the Big 12 Tourney to Nebraska and once again missing out on post-season play.

Looks like Mike had a pretty rough second season as well.  Just sayin, everyone goes through growing pains. 

What would we have done if 6 players had been arrested last year.  Goddness.