Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECU Fan Perspective on Attendance

Started by ECU Pirate 1, December 15, 2009, 10:42:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghelmet14

Quote from: lawhawg on December 15, 2009, 01:45:58 pm
I know what we all can agree on.  None of us care about ECU's attendance woes.  While I certainly enjoy getting a rise out of some hapless ECUers, this thread is pretty pointless.
Unless there is a chance of sleet! ;)
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: levelheaded on December 15, 2009, 01:58:08 pm
i hope people outside arkansas don't catch us using the word troll...they will think we have some here in state, like hiding out in Devil's Den or something.

Best recommendation.....don't contribute to the perception.
Go Hogs Go!

levelheaded

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2009, 02:27:32 pm
Best recommendation.....don't contribute to the perception.
i could say the same thing about comments others make...some comments i hear i think "no way they could actually believe that, they are just trying to get a reaction."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: levelheaded on December 15, 2009, 02:30:13 pm
i could say the same thing about comments others make...some comments i hear i think "no way they could actually believe that, they are just trying to get a reaction."

I'm trying to give you good advice here. Stop and think before firing off a reply. Your very first thoughts are not always your best friend.
Go Hogs Go!

Earl

rtpbuc

Quote from: wmr on December 15, 2009, 12:01:37 pm
I've been to North Carolina a few times. 

It has a coast, which is nice.  And it has the mountains, which is nice.

Other than that, the only thing growing in North Carolina besides tobacco is the percentage of people who don't speak English. 

Charlotte is a nice mid-sized city, but it ain't Shangri-La. 

North Carolina is an afterthought nationally as a state.  Its really like a more crowded version of Arkansas, and the humidity in the summers is horrible.

Musically you've given the world James Taylor and Clay Aiken.  We've given the world Al Green and Johnny Cash.

No thanks, but I'll keep livin in Arkansas.

Now that's just dumb.  Do a little research.  NC is far from an "afterthought."  As for music, you all have some good contributions, especially JC, but NC has a few as well.

Charlie Daniels, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Doc Watson, Del McCroury, Nina Simone, Ryan Adams, Earl Scruggs, the ones you mentioned and a lot more.  Not too shabby for a bunch of yokels who barely speak English.  You are uninformed and confused.  I'm not surprised.

BigDrDon

GO HOGS. thats all I gotta say about thet.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

Iwastherein1969

I don't get to Nawth Caruhlinuh much, but I have been there once befow and had the time of my life.....anyone remember this ? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qStkHy_Ep9Q
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Verge

Alot of you guys are d*cks to the ecu fans... i know some of them are annoying but i saw nothing wrong with the guys post.

If ECU wins, this board is going to be awesome. Maybe some hog fans need to step back into reality.

wholehog92

We have a lot of people in AR that understand ECUs plight.  They are fans of AR tech.  They are constantly competing for fans against the big ol U of A and even UALR.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

levelheaded

Quote from: Verge on December 15, 2009, 04:23:58 pm
Alot of you guys are d*cks to the ecu fans... i know some of them are annoying but i saw nothing wrong with the guys post.

If ECU wins, this board is going to be awesome. Maybe some hog fans need to step back into reality.
How dare you make that suggestion on this board

Shnooka

BigDrDon... that avatar is just creepy

MuskogeeHogFan - yours is exceptional.

We have some good and bad fans, and yes, we carry a significant chip on our shoulders.  from what i can tell we both have great fan bases and i expect to see yall out in force on beale street.

We will be outnumbered but you will know we are there. 

hawgeathawg

Quote from: ECU Pirate 1 on December 15, 2009, 11:02:31 am
The point is lawhawg that most people can't even put a finger on a map to point out where Arkansas is.  It's a hole in the wall place that you move to if you are hiding from your cousin who you had an afair with.  Case and point no NFL team and no other major University in the vicinity.

Wow...I think you just set an all-time record for the number of posts before throwing out some kind of hillbilly-incest insult.

Who cares why you can't get fans to your games? And for Arkansas to be such a pointless dump, you and your posterior pirate brethren had no problems finding us, huh?

If we are so meaningless and insignificant, what are you doing here?

hawgeathawg

Quote from: Verge on December 15, 2009, 04:23:58 pm

It would no doubt be in meltdown mode.

ExArky

The point is lawhawg that most people can't even put a finger on a map to point out where Arkansas is.  It's a hole in the wall place that you move to if you are hiding from your cousin who you had an afair with.  Case and point no NFL team and no other major University in the vicinity.

If your town has a Wal-Mart then Bentonville, Arkansas, is already your region's economic capitol.

It's downright silly for people in eastern North Carolina to make fun of Arkansas as backward. I live in Southwest Virginia and say the same thing to the local people here when they make fun of West Virginia. We're all Southern rednecks to the rest of the world.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ECU Pirate 1 on December 15, 2009, 10:42:30 am
I just wanted to chime in after reading a lot of these posts.  First off I think the SEC is the obvious dominant Football league in the country and Arkansas has a great reputation and fan base.  One point I wanted to make in regards to attendance is factoring in all the Universities that are within a 90 mile radius of ECU.  If you factor in all the people that live in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (Triangle) area which are all either graduates of ECU/UNC/NC State/Duke & Wake Forest that makes it difficult for us (ECU) to attract a fan base that the likes of Arkansas has because there is so much competition to attend different Universites in this area.
I'm sure that if there was only 1 University in this area with a football team like Arkansas has the luxury of having we would have far more fans attending games.  Here is the breakdown of seating capacity of our 6 major Universities in theis area.

UNC- 60,000 Seats, NC State- 55,000 Seats, ECU- 43,000 Seats, Duke 38,000 Seats, Wake Forest- 40,000? Seats.

Thats a lot of stadiums to fill in one small area and a lot of devoted fans who are not even alums of these Universities cheering on different teams in this region.

All I'm saying is that Arkansas is in a region that most fans only have 1 team to cheer for therefore you guys pack out your stadium because there is nothing else to devote your football fanhood to.

See you in Memphis.  GO PIRATES!

So my question is with all those school playing at a higher level conference than you, why do you have the third largest stadium?  If you don't fill it, isn't that your fault?

secfan30

I had an affair with a former Miss Arkansas and an interesting encounter with a model from Hawaii, but I have never had an "afair with a cousin". Please explain how that is done and do I need a rope?

Pignutx32

If I'm reading you correctly, ECU, someone used that excuse for not selling out your conference championship.....I understand what you are saying about there being competition caused by other teams in the area, but it still doesn't make sense if you sold out every other weekend that you couldn't sell out the championship game. 

I BLEED RBack RED

I lived in Emerald Isle, NC for about 4 years, and I understand about all the colleges being so close together.....but still, you talk smack about Arkansas, and Arkansans in general.  So "F" off.  The ECU butt pirates are going down Jan. 2nd, and believe me......there will be way more Razorback Red then gay pirate purple and gold...........GO HOGS!! :razorback:
The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).

hoghelmet14

OK... Hog fans... enough with calling them out when they lie.... we done hurt their feelings.... they might leave and then who would we laugh at?

Uncle_Larry

I currently live in Goldsboro, NC. A nice 30 minute drive up the road to Greenville and ECU. Originally from Arkansas and a Hog fan through and through. And a couple of things come to my mind that I would like to share.

1) I went to last year's West Virginia game at ECU. Was very impressed with the ECU fan base and the way they conducted themselves before and during the game. Then I was GIVEN tickets to this years championship game against Houston. And I have no idea where this "sleet" was falling. But it wasn't sleeting on me and my seat. Yes, the weather in general was bad...cold and wet. But I never saw any sleet. So that is no excuse for poor attendance. Yes there are a lot of universities in the area. UNC, NC State, Duke, ECU. Wake Forest is a little farther away and most of the people in Winston-Salem wouldn't make the trip to Greenville anyway. But overall, the UNC fans go to the games to fill time until basketball season. Went to the NC State/South Carolina game this year. That fanbase enjoys football. As far as Duke goes, did anyone even know that they had a football team until David Cutcliffe was hired there? My point is, ECU really has the biggest football fan base of the universities in the area.

2) I've always worn my Razorback gear loud and proud, win or lose. Prior to the announcement that we would be playing ECU, I would have people come up to me and give a terrible version of the Hog Call or they would say, "Arkansas huh? I like watching them play football." Or my personal favorite, "I still love them for beating Duke in basketball." Now, there seem to be a lot of closet ECU fans. They see me in my Hogs gear and say something stupid about either the state of Arkansas or ask me if my mother is my sister.

3) 2 years of living North Carolina has only made me appreciate Arkansas even more. And I'll be living in God's Country again as soon as possible. In the past 7 years, I have lived in 4 states. And the inhabitants of Eastern North Carolina, or the "Coastal Plains" have nothing to brag about. Wilmington is nice, Charlotte isn't bad, Boone is beautiful, Raleigh is nothing to write home about, and Greenville leaves a lot to be desired.

Rant over.

hoginator

Well said Uncle Larry. Tell Darrell and Darrell hello...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Hogaliciousness

Isn't the student population of ECU about the same or larger than UofA?  If so, you should have plenty of Alumni, fans, parents of kids that attend, etc to put into the seats.  You have a great coach by what little I have witnessed.  You have a good solid senior laiden team coming off a championship season, right? 

It would seem that you could/should easily fill your home stadium during the championship game.  Seems like your fan base expected to lose and had less faith than your fans who come to our board to post.

This much I know:  You will see a lot of red/white on Jan 2, 2010.  Good luck, travel safe, and I will be there supporting the Hogs (and maybe having a drink or two on Beale...).
I am ready for some football!

hoghelmet14

OK... I agree.. time to cut them some slack... and see if life is a two way street...

Go Hogs!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on December 16, 2009, 09:17:26 am
Isn't the student population of ECU about the same or larger than UofA? 

Interesting point: rarely do we play a school that has a smaller enrollment than us.

Even when we play a Division I-AA team, that school is often larger than us (Missouri State, for instance).  We obliterated "little ole" Eastern Michigan - a directional school.  Well, that directional school is bigger than we are.

We played at least a couple schools that have 30,000 more students on campus than we do (Florida and A&M).

When you think about it, it is amazing that we compete as well as we do on the field and in ticket sales.

FaulknerHogfan

Dude, shame on you for using logic with this board.

RazorBrat

December 16, 2009, 08:42:27 pm #77 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:43:59 pm by RazorBrat
Actually ECU is larger than U of A with an enrollment of around 28,000.   It has grown dramatically in the last 5-10 years. 

If a bunch of exceedingly obnoxius ECU fans hadn't shown up talking major over-the-top smack, I think many Hog fans would have found much to like about ECU.  It's the party school of NC and has something quite similar to Dickson St (albeit more like the '70-80's seedier version than the current upscale version of Dickson St--- think Roger's Rec instead of Bordino's)
;D

CFO Pirate

This is going to be a GOOD game. Trust me Hog fans, Kentucky brought more fans to the Liberty Bowl than we did last year and it didn't help them. We controlled the whole game. We basically gave them the game and they escaped with a 6 point win. Most of our guys are back from last year. They are prepared for the ALMIGHTY SEC talent. Skip Holtz hasn't recruited your typical "weak" Conference USA kids. That's the reason we have won the conference back-to-back and will win it again next year.

Just waiting for the Big 10 to expand, steal a team from the Big East, then have the Big East recruit us. Its all about recruits - with the type of program we already have, our favorable geographic location and market, we're bound to be a more significant player in the next couple years.

But as for January 2nd, hey no excuses. Brothers are going to "man up" and go toe-to-toe.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 15, 2009, 11:40:54 am
Arkansas has just under 3 million people.  North Carolina has over 9 million. 

While you have more D1 schools, you also have 3 times as many people.

That was going to be might point...there are nearly as many people in the Charlotte metropolitan area as there are in the state of Arkansas.

Kevin Bacon

Had trouble with geography did ya?  Again, it sucks to be you.

ozarkshogfan

People in t shirts, doesnt look like any sleet, team on the field, wheres the people?

EcuHeisman

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 15, 2009, 08:24:47 pm
So my question is with all those school playing at a higher level conference than you, why do you have the third largest stadium?  If you don't fill it, isn't that your fault?

we sold out every regular season game this year.

EcuHeisman

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on December 17, 2009, 05:14:13 am
People in t shirts, doesnt look like any sleet, team on the field, wheres the people?

that is an old picture.....we didnt even wear white pants at home this year.

hogdiggity

ECU has only sold 4500 tickets to the Liberty Bowl, that is pitiful.  UCA/ASU, hell probably even Henderson State would sell that many

EcuHeisman

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 17, 2009, 07:18:37 am
ECU has only sold 4500 tickets to the Liberty Bowl, that is pitiful.  UCA/ASU, hell probably even Henderson State would sell that many

id like to see how many arkansas fans would be making a 14 hour drive, clemson has only sold 4,000 to their bowl game. Dont worry, there will be plenty of ecu fans their just like last year.

hogdiggity

You guys have NO excuse, this is your highest bowl you can obtain.  You won your conference championship.  If we made the sugar bowl or any BCS bowl for winning our conference, I can promise you we would sell way more tickets than 4500 no matter where the bowl is. 

EcuHeisman

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 17, 2009, 07:50:24 am
You guys have NO excuse, this is your highest bowl you can obtain.  You won your conference championship.  If we made the sugar bowl or any BCS bowl for winning our conference, I can promise you we would sell way more tickets than 4500 no matter where the bowl is.

this is not the highest bowl we can attain, if we went 11-1...12-1  we would be in a bcs bowl with our schedule, boise is in one and they play nobody, we were ranked as high as #14 last year, so dont tell me this is the best bowl we can go to because thats bs.

hogdiggity

I'd hate to see your attendance numbers if you made a BCS bowl like the rose bowl or the fiesta bowl. 

Second rate program with second rate fans, you should be playing in the FCS.  Houston would have at least brought a few folks...

EcuHeisman

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 17, 2009, 07:56:13 am
I'd hate to see your attendance numbers if you made a BCS bowl like the rose bowl or the fiesta bowl. 

Second rate program with second rate fans, you should be playing in the FCS.  Houston would have at least brought a few folks...

Haha your a joke, we have never been fcs and never will be, yes we are pathetic, we only averaged over 43,000 for our 6 home games this year, compare that to a lot of bcs teams and we have them beat, why dont you check houstons average attendance and compare it against ecu's, you are making yourself look like a total retard for not knowing a darn thing your talking about.

EcuHeisman

Here are some schools that ranked behind us in attendance this year.
Stanford
Syracuse
Connecticut
TCU
UCF
Hawaii
Baylor
Boston College
Air Force
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati
Fresno St.
Boise St.
Louisville
Wake Forest
Navy
Southern Miss.
UTEP
Army
New Mexico
Duke
Memphis
Houston
Tulane
San Diego St.
Northwestern
Colorado St.
UNLV
Washington St.
Tulsa
Marshall
SMU
Middle Tenn.
Western Mich.
Louisiana Tech
Central Mich.
Wyoming
La.-Lafayette
Troy
North Texas
UAB
Ohio
Arkansas St.
Nevada
Akron
Temple
New Mexico St.
Toledo
Utah St.
Buffalo
Kent St.
San Jose St.
Fla. Atlantic
Northern Ill.
Western Ky.
Bowling Green
La.-Monroe
Rice
Idaho
Miami (OH)
Ball St.
FIU
Eastern Mich.

Please get a clue.

hogdiggity

I know you haven't sold but 4500 tickets to your bowl game, that is PITIFUL.  Your conference championship stands were very empty, but wait it was cold and raining.....now the game is too far.....full of excuses aren't you pirates.  Go back to that craphole of a board of yours, boneyard banter, and talk to the 10 other fans that care about your program.

EcuHeisman

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 17, 2009, 08:17:59 am
I know you haven't sold but 4500 tickets to your bowl game, that is PITIFUL.  Your conference championship stands were very empty, but wait it was cold and raining.....now the game is too far.....full of excuses aren't you pirates.  Go back to that craphole of a board of yours, boneyard banter, and talk to the 10 other fans that care about your program.

Obviously your just blind or stupid when faced with facts, either way your a loser.

EcuHeisman

As for saying our stands are "empty" here is a list of order to how full each stadium was this year for every team...notice arkansas is behind ecu, as well as 92 other fbs teams, so mabye you should concentrate on how empty arkansas stadium is looking.

South Fla.
Oregon
Texas
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Kentucky
Ohio St.
Michigan
Boise St.
Florida
Minnesota
Wake Forest
Utah
BYU
LSU
Virginia Tech
Georgia
Notre Dame
Alabama
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Michigan St.
Iowa
Tennessee
North Carolina St.
Mississippi St.
East Carolina
Cincinnati
Auburn
Connecticut
West Virginia
Illinois
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
Rutgers
Kansas St.
Texas Tech
Colorado
Navy
Oregon St.
Texas A&M
Clemson
Mississippi
Arizona
Southern California
Arkansas
Florida St.
Missouri
Oklahoma St.
Washington
Vanderbilt
Maryland
TCU
Southern Miss.
Indiana
Iowa St.
UCF
Stanford
California
Fresno St.
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Boston College
Syracuse
Houston
Idaho
Virginia
Duke
Louisville
Air Force
Tulsa
Fla. Atlantic
Ohio
Hawaii
Baylor
UCLA
Army
Colorado St.
New Mexico
Western Mich.
SMU
Middle Tenn.
Arizona St.
Louisiana Tech
Central Mich.
Washington St.
Wyoming
Miami (FL)
Utah St.
Kent St.
Toledo
UNLV
Troy
La.-Lafayette
Western Ky.
North Texas
Bowling Green
Marshall
Nevada
Akron
Arkansas St.
UTEP
Buffalo
New Mexico St.
Northwestern
FIU
San Jose St.
Miami (OH)
Ball St.
Northern Ill.
San Diego St.
La.-Monroe
Memphis
Tulane
Rice
Temple
UAB
Eastern Mich.

hogdiggity

facts are 4500 tickets for a bowl game, that is pitiful.

That list you posted of the schools that are behind you in attendance is not impressive.  Go back to the pink pirate message board.

EcuHeisman

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 17, 2009, 08:24:25 am
facts are 4500 tickets for a bowl game, that is pitiful.

That list you posted of the schools that are behind you in attendance is not impressive.  Go back to the pink pirate message board.

lol, your a loser, have fun failing at life I will just ignore you from here on out.

hogdiggity

failing at life huh, that is how stupid you are to think someones opinion on a message board about your schools football fans has anything to do with thier success in life. 

humphrey

Quote from: code red on December 15, 2009, 11:56:50 am
You obviously do not understand the tradiations at the University of Arkansas.  I sit by a woman, elderly, who drives from south of dallas to every Razorback game.  She got up at 3 am to make it to the South Carolina game, which started at 11 am.  She yelled on every 3rd down and was completly worn out at the end of the game.  So your tellin me she would rather watch OU or Texas, because of her proximity?  No.....its about more than football at UofA.  Its the formation of the A, its the callin of the HOGS, its the GO HOGS spell out at halftime, it the raising of the Arkansas flag in the 4th Qtr, Its about 70,000 complete stangers joining in unision to support their Razorbacks.  Arkansas football is a saturday tradiation............you will experience such on jan 2.

Not to turn this into a GSD, but we can't even get all of our own fans to think this way.  There's a bunch of fans we can't get to drive in from Little Rock -- and even more fans in other places of AR that think driving to Fayetteville is too hard.  There are a bunch of fans who love coming to games and love the Hogs, but there are some fans who insist that the Hogs bend to their every whim and think they are nothing more than entertainment.

I commend you and your stadium neighbor for making it to the games you can get to and for cheering wildly and supporting the Hogs.  You are true fans.  If only we could get the rest of our "fans" to do that.

UAfanatic

It couldn't be that the product on the field is better?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 17, 2009, 07:56:13 am

This is ridiculous.  I really don't understand why you and others get a thrill out of running them down.  You guys need a hobby or something.