Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buckle your seatbelts guys/gals

Started by Clint Alan, December 08, 2009, 04:35:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TX HOG

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TX HOG

athunt

Anybody wanna help me out with **** players?

I think I missed that one
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 10, 2009, 04:11:35 pm
Spond
Byran Jones
DJ Jones
Barnett
Smith
Akuna

Just to name a few.  We will finish strong again.  Petrino has shown the ability to close late.

There will be other names pop up..But I would take your list in a heartbeat and be very happy.

cardinalandwhite

Spond
Byran Jones
DJ Jones
Barnett
Smith
Akuna

Just to name a few.  We will finish strong again.  Petrino has shown the ability to close late.

How do we look on Lucas?
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Ben Steiger

From what I understand, we're out of the picture, but right now, we need defense, defense, defense.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

PorkSoda

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on December 11, 2009, 02:32:27 pm
How do we look on Lucas?
We have McGee doing an in-home visit, so cross your fingers
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2009, 04:08:52 pm
We have McGee doing an in-home visit, so cross your fingers

You have to like that.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

TX HOG

Ben Steiger

Anyone know anything about the Ohio State commit and the Nebraska decommit? I can't remember names, but I am curious if anyone has an update.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

LTCHawg

HawgPilot

3kgthog

I think we can take off our seatbelts now and ease from the hammer lane to the carpool lane. Nice call on the fast and furious finish.

hawgnosticator

Uhh...It's December. We are 2 months from signing day.

Music City Hog

The prediction was Monday-Wednesday.  Wednesday is coming to an end and since the prediction, Langley, Smith, Akuna, Foi Foi, and the other Hawaiian kids are now off the table.

Triple T

WMHawgfan

glad i buckled up. The excitement of seeing all these key recruits commit elsewhere is making me want to slam into a bridge embankment.

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 16, 2009, 04:26:59 pm
glad i buckled up. The excitement of seeing all these key recruits commit elsewhere is making me want to slam into a bridge embankment.

LOL.  Can i take that ride with you? 

Maybe the original poster was refering to the Texas Motor Speedway Go-Cart racetrack they have in Branson, MO.  I hear those things go about 30mph.  Better buckle up!

Oklahawg

The assumption is the players all bailed on UA. Not sure, but on some of these it is UA saying they don't have room.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 16, 2009, 04:45:51 pm
The assumption is the players all bailed on UA. Not sure, but on some of these it is UA saying they don't have room.

Dont we bail on every player that doesnt come here?

coach, my back hurts

December 16, 2009, 04:57:03 pm #74 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:58:34 pm by coach, my back hurts

What DA coach told Scott Smith to go elsewhere?  You may know more than me, or know more ppl than me, which is probably true anyways, but i wouldnt take a coaches word, or a recruiting experts word, over the toilet paper i wipe my butt with.  Coaches lie and use coach speak all the time.  And to cover their a$$es on this fine recruiting class they tell these "experts" that we dont have room.  Room for what?  2 and 3* DT's that are 30-40 lbs underweight?

I have NO problem at all with the recruits that BP is/will bring in on offense.  Because the guy can frickin coach.  We dont have a coach on the D side of the ball that would qualify to be an equipment manager for Bama or Texas.  Major concern on that side.

MojaveJoe

Yeah. Smith turned us down flat. He had an offer.

El Puerco

Hog Milanese

Quote from: hawgnosticator on December 16, 2009, 03:26:32 pm
Uhh...It's December. We are 2 months from signing day.

So we're going to magically change the minds of recruits we haven't spoken to all year at the last minute? (2 months in recruiting is "last minute")

cpohog

I got buckled in, turned the key in the ignition and realized I didn't put any gas in the tank.  :(

The real Hogules

Quote from: rubmyHOG on December 08, 2009, 04:35:47 pm
You are about to see a finish as fast and as hard as you would see at Texas Motor Speedway.

I believe the proper racing terminology that best describes the debacle of a recruiting weekend we just experienced is a "Crash and Burn"..................... :'(
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

The real Hogules

Please enlighten us as to which players, besides Langley that the UofA chose to pass on??? 

Inquiring minds want to know!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

porkinsons disease

Spond
Byran Jones
DJ Jones
Barnett
Smith
Akuna

+1.It's December and everyone act's like it's "life or death" with every recruit. We will be fine.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

kclvr

Quote from: porkinsons disease on December 16, 2009, 06:02:09 pm
+1.It's December and everyone act's like it's "life or death" with every recruit. We will be fine.

In case you haven't noticed the big time prospects we had a chance at are all going elsewhere.  We are going to be left with projects for the most part. Spin it however you want but this is reality. In the end B Jones will not be a Hog, book it.

athunt

Quote from: kclvr on December 16, 2009, 06:49:27 pm
In case you haven't noticed the big time prospects we had a chance at are all going elsewhere.  We are going to be left with projects for the most part. Spin it however you want but this is reality. In the end B Jones will not be a Hog, book it.

Would these kids have even been on campus with the other staff? No

The fact that these kids are even giving us a look, with a 7-5 record, is reason to be excited.

"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

kclvr

OK but this want build a championship team.  Most take their 5 visits by the way.

Erockster20

Losing Smith is a disappointment no matter how you look at it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kclvr on December 16, 2009, 06:49:27 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion you're right about Jones.  It would be a travesty if we didn't reel in the most important in-state recruit this year, especially if we couldn't replace him with a Barnett or a Humphrey...which we won't. 

LSU is not going to offer him, which he knows, and yet we still haven't landed him.  Even with LSU out of the picture, I seriously don't get the feeling UA is really high on HIS list. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

Quote from: Erockster20 on December 16, 2009, 07:18:01 pm
Losing Smith is a disappointment no matter how you look at it.

For fans, Smith was an obvious feather in our cap. None of us know the coaching staff's wish list priorities - was Smith the #1 DE? Bold assumption for us as fans.

Oklahawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 16, 2009, 05:58:58 pm
Please enlighten us as to which players, besides Langley that the UofA chose to pass on??? 

Inquiring minds want to know!

Damian Payne, CB from Houston, committed to Utah, was a player I wanted badly. I believe we need another CB in this class. Apparently, my recruiting acumen is not respected by the UA staff, as they clearly didn't agree. Now, I have no idea was CB is left on the wish list, or if one is left, but the one I targeted left UA without a commitable offer.

Oklahawg

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on December 16, 2009, 04:57:03 pm
What DA coach told Scott Smith to go elsewhere?  You may know more than me, or know more ppl than me, which is probably true anyways, but i wouldnt take a coaches word, or a recruiting experts word, over the toilet paper i wipe my butt with.  Coaches lie and use coach speak all the time.  And to cover their a$$es on this fine recruiting class they tell these "experts" that we dont have room.  Room for what?  2 and 3* DT's that are 30-40 lbs underweight?

I have NO problem at all with the recruits that BP is/will bring in on offense.  Because the guy can frickin coach.  We dont have a coach on the D side of the ball that would qualify to be an equipment manager for Bama or Texas.  Major concern on that side.

Don't sell your horse to the glue factory because it lost its first race.

1. I am not privy to what the coaching staff is thinking, to what the wish list looks like. I am only able to take the commits, the recruits, the comments by both, and try to be halfway intelligent about it.
2. I will not sell my soul that Smith didn't have a commitable offer to UA.
3. I am NOT convinced he was Petrino's #1 DE. He was for fans. He is valuable as a mid-term enrollee.

Let me reinforce something that might not be a factor, but could: UA has always struggled with academic transcripts of JUCO transfers. Ticklish deal.

To suggest that Petrino recruits well on offense, and puts together a good offensive coaching staff, but can't/doesn't recruit on defense, and doesn't value putting together a good defensive coaching staff...well, that's lunacy. I don't for one minute think that Petrino is as ungifted at defensive recruiting as he is gifted at offensive recruiting. Ditto, when considering assembling a staff.

This thread is going to hell in a hand-basket because too many posters do not really understand the dynamics at play.

Kenny Hawgins

the staff has the class about sewn up and probably has a few commits we don't know about.  they're just swinging for the fences on the last few slots. 

ya'll go ahead and jump off a ledge if you want.  i'll at least give petrino the benefit of the doubt and wait until signing day before i start freaking out.  i'd say petrino has at least earned that much.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

island hog

give me some details, as best you can about these dynamics.  I haven't read or heard any comments from Smith on why he chose TT but would love to hear why?  Also, I agree that it's still early but we have such high hopes so soon that maybe we fans have gotten ahead of ourselves.  HOWEVER...I am disappointed in our dline recruiting this year and last.  To see the players we signed that didn't make it for whatever reason, to see others whom we offered say no while nearly every other SEC team is getting dline commitments without effort it seems.  I'm not worried about the numbers as much as I am the perception that our defensive recruiting is below par...in your opinion, is there an issue?  Is it related to the def staff?  You appear to be very knowledgable or closer to the action than most...what are you true thoughts?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 16, 2009, 08:29:54 pm
the staff has the class about sewn up and probably has a few commits we don't know about.  they're just swinging for the fences on the last few slots. 

ya'll go ahead and jump off a ledge if you want.  i'll at least give petrino the benefit of the doubt and wait until signing day before i start freaking out.  i'd say petrino has at least earned that much.

A voice of reason. I think you are much closer to the truth than any of us understand.

I think we'll be surprised when we hear that so-and-so (maybe a couple of 'em) were silent commits for a while.

jgphillips3

Times like these where people are freaking out almost make me long for the days that recruits only got mentioned the day after they signed in a small column in the paper. Sure it doesn't look great right now, but this isn't signing day and we have all seen how sometimes recruiting classes come on in a hurry just before and on signing day. I think it is okay to voice some concern here or there, but we should wait until the ink dries to go off the deep end.

Bubba's Bruisers

December 16, 2009, 09:11:04 pm #94 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:12:52 pm by Bubba's Bruisers
Quote from: Oklahawg on December 16, 2009, 08:53:57 pm
A voice of reason. I think you are much closer to the truth than any of us understand.

I think we'll be surprised when we hear that so-and-so (maybe a couple of 'em) were silent commits for a while.

Actually, OH, I've always considered your voice one of reason, but again, is this just some hunch because we so desperately want it to be the case, or do we "know" something?  Because I can't remember a time when the whole "silent commit" crap actually came to fruition, and we were all so pleasantly surprised on NSD.  Historically, this approach followed the whole "...but we're filling our needs" line of thinking...as if collecting talent and filling needs were mutually exclusive.

I'm not a sky is falling guy, but if we keep the 15 we already have, and we only have room for 5 more max, then we'd better finish up with guys like Lucas, Coleman, Jones, and Humphrey.  That would legitimize this class.  And no, I'm not looking at stars.  I'm looking at the offers.  Our current commits, as a whole, lack in both categories.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dances With Hogs

December 16, 2009, 09:11:06 pm #95 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:12:52 pm by Dances With Hogs
I can't believe we are losing recruits after they have been to the Catfish Hole.

Hog Milanese

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on December 16, 2009, 09:11:06 pm
I can't believe we are losing recruits after they have been to the Catfish Hole.

lol

zark

Quotegive me some details, as best you can about these dynamics

The average fan looks at four things in a recruit.  Size, speed, stats and Stars.

Those four things don't amount to much if the Off/Def systems within your program require character, brains, attention span, willingness to work, etc.

Just let that soak in your head and then ask yourself if you really think anyone could really answer your question.

All you need to know is dynamics exist.  Recruiting is fluid and we have until Feb. for the dirt to settle or the cream to rise.

I believe our staff to be cream.   

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 16, 2009, 08:29:54 pm

This.

rebelfan1010

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 16, 2009, 08:02:16 pm
I have a sneaking suspicion you're right about Jones.  It would be a travesty if we didn't reel in the most important in-state recruit this year, especially if we couldn't replace him with a Barnett or a Humphrey...which we won't. 

LSU is not going to offer him, which he knows, and yet we still haven't landed him.  Even with LSU out of the picture, I seriously don't get the feeling UA is really high on HIS list.

Ark. might be waiting on his grades.  I have no idea, but I've heard he is a sign and place canidate.  I would love to get him either way.  Seems like a good DT to me.