Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buckle your seatbelts guys/gals

Started by Clint Alan, December 08, 2009, 04:35:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: zark on December 16, 2009, 09:42:04 pm
The average fan looks at four things in a recruit.  Size, speed, stats and Stars.

Those four things don't amount to much if the Off/Def systems within your program require character, brains, attention span, willingness to work, etc.

Just let that soak in your head and then ask yourself if you really think anyone could really answer your question.

All you need to know is dynamics exist.  Recruiting is fluid and we have until Feb. for the dirt to settle or the cream to rise.

I believe our staff to be cream.  

Although I like your attitude, you're way off about what the "average fan" looks at in a recruit.

It isn't size, speed, stats and stars.

The average fan looks at stars, stars, stars, and list of offers.

That's it. RARELY does the "average" guy on here know jack squat about a player besides what recruiting sites tell them.

This, my friend, is the number 1 problem with our fanbase.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 17, 2009, 02:46:43 pm
Although I like your attitude, you're way off about what the "average fan" looks at in a recruit.

It isn't size, speed, stats and stars.

The average fan looks at stars, stars, stars, and list of offers.

That's it. RARELY does the "average" guy on here know jack squat about a player besides what recruiting sites tell them.

This, my friend, is the number 1 problem with our fanbase.

Do you think that is a problem only at Arkansas?

How else are we supposed to get our information? I am not able to go to high school games all over the country and do my own evaluations.
SOOIE

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: MS_HogFan on December 17, 2009, 03:57:52 pm
Do you think that is a problem only at Arkansas?

How else are we supposed to get our information? I am not able to go to high school games all over the country and do my own evaluations.

I am sure other fanbases do the same. It would just surprise me if other fanbases doubt their staff as much as this one does, despite the positives that have been brought to the program in under 2 seasons.

I've said it before so might as well again, until they start franking stuff up on the hill I won't question their coaching and/or recruiting.

LJHOG

I think we can loosen up on the seat belts.  Losing a DE to TT, and RB to Oregon, and a DB to Utah is not the stuff on which competitive SEC classes are built.

HoginClinton

Quote from: LJHOG on December 17, 2009, 04:19:13 pm
I think we can loosen up on the seat belts.  Losing a DE to TT, and RB to Oregon, and a DB to Utah is not the stuff on which competitive SEC classes are built.
When you offer 10x the number you can sign, things like that are going to happen. If they were our top targets, which NOBODY but the staff knows, then it might be something to worry about.

GoHoGsGo06

Lets just take 15 this year, and get 28 four and five stars next year...right...that is the plan right...

Porkys Revenge

Can I take off my seatbelt and get out of the vehicle? I smell smoke.

Oklahawg

A few notes.

The RB going to Oregon committed there a long time ago. His best friend went there last year. We may not ink another RB (going with Big Tex) and chase a couple of major league guys next year.

The CB committed to Utah left UA without a commitable offer. How hard is that to understand? Just because a bunch of message board posters (like me, I wanted him) want him doesn't mean Petrino gives in and offers.

The JUCO DT committed to Texas Tech is the same thing - he visited hoping for a commitable offer but didn't get one. Scratch your heads all you want, but Petrino and Co. passed.

That leaves ONE recruit FANS wanted that didn't work out.

Camara is a solid commit that folks are reasonably happy about, until they consider that Petrino (*shock*) values him higher than a kicker from Russelville and Camara got the one offer.

Denmark is the freaky athlete that doesn't get high evals from the paysites because they don't know where he'll fit at any particular school. Might be a WR at one school. Might be a DE at another. I think he'll follow Smith and Crim to UA. Gut feeling, of course.

This staff has put many of its eggs into that mid-January weekend. Last year, that weekend produced the lion's share of commits.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WOODSHOG

Quote from: GoHoGsGo06 on December 17, 2009, 04:53:16 pm
Lets just take 15 this year, and get 28 four and five stars next year...right...that is the plan right...
If Mallett and Williams stick around, with the 10' road schedule, and if they plug a couple holes on D, this team makes history next year, then the recruiting will take care of itself. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 16, 2009, 09:11:04 pm
Actually, OH, I've always considered your voice one of reason, but again, is this just some hunch because we so desperately want it to be the case, or do we "know" something?  Because I can't remember a time when the whole "silent commit" crap actually came to fruition, and we were all so pleasantly surprised on NSD.  Historically, this approach followed the whole "...but we're filling our needs" line of thinking...as if collecting talent and filling needs were mutually exclusive.

I'm not a sky is falling guy, but if we keep the 15 we already have, and we only have room for 5 more max, then we'd better finish up with guys like Lucas, Coleman, Jones, and Humphrey.  That would legitimize this class.  And no, I'm not looking at stars.  I'm looking at the offers.  Our current commits, as a whole, lack in both categories.

Here's what we DON'T know.

We don't know how many existing players can exit the program before our APR dips far enough to jeopardize a scholie in the future.

We don't know just how scarce the available scholarships really are. I mean, we can guess, but at this point its conjecture. If we're down to 3-4 (reasonable) then expect the coaches to set the bar pretty high.

I understand the "silent commit" concern. It hasn't worked out in UA's favor.

I can find about 15 recruits that all but the most jaded fan would be pleased to sign in February. If we "hit" .333 and get 5 that'll be amazing. That doesn't factor in that I see Brandon Denmark as a major target for Petrino (even if not for fans).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jabohog

Richard posted in his blog about Smith that the staff wanted him no doubt. But, Oklahawg, your saying something was amiss and they couldn't offer him? Is this what your saying?

Along with a lot of the great reasons to remain calm about this class, I would like to add that we just went 5-7, and now 7-5. Our offense has been at the top of the class statically and our defense at the bottom. With these stats and our win/loss record it doesn't suprise me we aren't getting the stud defensive linemen, etc. Last years class was something we haven't seen around here in awhile and it spoiled alot of folks. Chickens may have come home to roost this year. We need to win some games and some of them need to be against the Floridas and Bamas.

Oklahawg

Quote from: jabohog on December 17, 2009, 08:02:51 pm
Richard posted in his blog about Smith that the staff wanted him no doubt. But, Oklahawg, your saying something was amiss and they couldn't offer him? Is this what your saying?

Oh, I think the staff wanted Smith. Something just doesn't work out in my mind. There is some conjecture out there suggesting its not done just yet.

island hog

I think Okla was referring to the other JC Dlineman who visited last weekend and went with TT, not Smith. 

geddie

Quote from: island hog on December 17, 2009, 08:30:56 pm
I think Okla was referring to the other JC Dlineman who visited last weekend and went with TT, not Smith. 

Correct.  i think it's Donald Langley being referenced

Oklahawg

Quote from: island hog on December 17, 2009, 08:30:56 pm
Quote from: geddie on December 17, 2009, 08:47:04 pm
Correct.  i think it's Donald Langley being referenced

Yes. Langley did not leave with a commitable offer. Smith did. There is still scuttlebut out there on Smith, despite all indications he is headed to Tech.

LJHOG

"This staff has put many of its eggs into that mid-January weekend. "

Then we'd better hope Mallett doesn't announce for the draft before that weekend.

IronHog

Quote from: LJHOG on December 18, 2009, 02:47:55 pm
"This staff has put many of its eggs into that mid-January weekend. "

Then we'd better hope Mallett doesn't announce for the draft before that weekend.

LOL or <facepalm>    ?????
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 17, 2009, 08:29:59 pm
Oh, I think the staff wanted Smith. Something just doesn't work out in my mind. There is some conjecture out there suggesting its not done just yet.

Why is the staff wanting a JC DT anyway?  What am I missing?

gohogsgo006

Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: WOODSHOG on December 17, 2009, 07:34:26 pm
If Mallett and Williams stick around, with the 10' road schedule, and if they plug a couple holes on D, this team makes history next year, then the recruiting will take care of itself. 

I agree with Woodhog. It's all about plugging a few holes in the defense and we'll be recruiting off a 10+ win season.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2009, 02:51:48 pm

Why is the staff wanting a JC DT anyway?  What am I missing?

We need for Alfred Davis and Patrick Jones to step up. It's time for them to make a difference. They definitely have the size. Askew is not to be counted out either. He's the quickest and most athletic. If he adds some size and bulk he could be a starter.

selfexplanatory

Are gohogsgo06 and gohogsgo006 the same person? :)
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

IronHog

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 18, 2009, 03:07:15 pm
We need for Alfred Davis and Patrick Jones to step up. It's time for them to make a difference. They definitely have the size. Askew is not to be counted out either. He's the quickest and most athletic. If he adds some size and bulk he could be a starter.

I thought all three of those guys played pretty well in spot duty this year.  The backup DL set the tone in the SC game, and some of those guys played well vs. Bama and Fla.

Askew could see some serous time on the field if he can improve his off the ball DT technique.  Seems like most of our guys are more NT types.

athunt

"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Kenny Hawgins

isn't multiple profiles against the rules?
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

AnthroHog

Quote from: selfexplanatory on December 18, 2009, 03:07:29 pm
Are gohogsgo06 and gohogsgo006 the same person? :)

gohogsgo06's avatar is the same avatar that gohogsgo006 had for awhile, so that's another similarity.

gohogsgo006

December 18, 2009, 04:51:39 pm #126 Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:55:06 pm by gohogsgo006
yes Im the same person.

Yall are a regular bunch of detectives
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Clint Alan

"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2009, 03:10:10 pm

I thought all three of those guys played pretty well in spot duty this year.  The backup DL set the tone in the SC game, and some of those guys played well vs. Bama and Fla.

Askew could see some serous time on the field if he can improve his off the ball DT technique.  Seems like most of our guys are more NT types.

IronHog..Don't you think out of those 3 guys we can get a SEC caliber player? Or maybe even 2?  A Davis and P Jones certainly have the size. Askew has sure got the quickness and speed maybe needs more strength.

athunt

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 18, 2009, 08:19:36 pm
IronHog..Don't you think out of those 3 guys we can get a SEC caliber player? Or maybe even 2?  A Davis and P Jones certainly have the size. Askew has sure got the quickness and speed maybe needs more strength.

Askew isnt that quick, he got busted.

Sorry I had too...
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

IronHog

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 18, 2009, 08:19:36 pm

I thought all those guys were filling their respective rolls rather well.  Maybe the coaches felt different or it is a recruiting game.

Oklahawg

The DT/NG mix (outside of DD Jones) is not optimum size/speed/reach/strength measurables for the staff. They want a 3-deep rotation of DD Jones'. Good model, eh? They want those 6-4 x 320 guys who can scratch the side of the knee without bending over with the strength to neutralize a double-team.

Those are rare.

JUCO guys are brought in because they are thought to be instant impact players. Much less likely to require a RS year, if they even have one left to burn.

We appear to have about 10 on the radar, 6-7 are legit candidates.

We likely lost Barnett to Okie State (can't risk his academics, plus the most important factor isn't OSU, Arkansas, Petrino or Gundy...its Momma). BJones has academic concerns that are well-documented on here. Certainly can't take TWO like that in this class. We had that happen last year and got burned.

The staff has to get "sure things" (academics) that still fit the profile. Then, they have a raging fanbase that won't settle for anything less than all-world recruits. Oh, and they must have already committed. And, refused official visits so that we can use them on other players. Oh, they must also agree to pay their own way as a walk-on so their scholie can go to another recruit. Oh, they must have already signed and be ready for 2nd semester classes. Heck, they've been on campus this week working out with the team. If it was a BCS bowl, these recruits might see action if it could turn the game in UA's favor.

Hmm. I digress...

aloha_kid

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2009, 08:53:23 pm

I thought all those guys were filling their respective rolls rather well.  Maybe the coaches felt different or it is a recruiting game.

I am just hoping for the size of Pat Jones and Alfred Davis to get on the field. I am tired of undersized DTs! I want some beef in there.

IronHog

Quote from: LawnHog48 on December 18, 2009, 10:28:23 pm
I am just hoping for the size of Pat Jones and Alfred Davis to get on the field. I am tired of undersized DTs! I want some beef in there.

Sheppard was a little light, but his last two years he held his own power wise.  Stradther isn't huge, but he has nice size and played well for a second year player this year.

selfexplanatory

Quote from: GoHoGsGo06 on December 19, 2009, 09:25:14 pm
Na. I might get banned from 1 account, but I stll have multiple others. I'm not going anywhere. Even IP ban can't stop me :)

I respect all opinions and agree with many of yours.  So hopefully, you aren't dead to Hogville as a previous poster put it. :)
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?