Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top Tenn Recruiter to LSU?

Started by ur, December 04, 2009, 01:39:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ur

Anyone have access to this pay site on ESPN. They will be throwing some serious cash at Ed O to get him to leave Tenner.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors?addata=2009_insdr_mod_front_xxx_xxx&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2ffeatures%2frumors%3faddata%3d2009_insdr_mod_front_xxx_xxx#1079

ur

razorbackmkh

I'd take Ed. I love that coonass.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

AnthroHog

Quote from: razorbackmkh on December 04, 2009, 03:47:23 pm

Our defensive recruiting would certainly improve.  It would also add another storyline to the Arkansas - Ole Miss game.

Here's the recruits that Frank Wilson is on:
http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Year=2010&Sport=1&Coach=2148

Out of all the Tennessee assistants who have commitments, he actually looks like the worst recruiter.

The Hog

December 04, 2009, 05:26:52 pm #4 Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:42:20 pm by The Hog
I believe it is the receivers coach, Frank Wilson.  Orgeron is being courted by Pete Carrol.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/dec/03/ut-assistant-wilson-offered-position-lsu/?partner=RSS

I read another report that Wilson already owns a house in Mississippi and one in Knoxville.  The Mississippi house has been on the market for awhile and not sold and look like he may have another in Knoxville.
Automatic RUN!

Tammany Tom

It's a done deal. Frank Wilson got on a plane this morning heading to Baton Rouge. He will double his salary and make $300,000 per year at LSU. Wilson is from New Orleans and was Orgeron's #1 recruiter while at Ole Miss. Wilson was a very successful high school coach at OP Walker in NO.

LSU needs Wilson, because we just lost our number 1 recruiter, Larry Porter, when he became the Head Coach at Memphis.

The signing of Wilson by LSU is also huge because of All-World DT Anthony Johnson from OP Walker in New Orleans. Johnson is a man amoungst boys and was an early 2011 commit to UT because of Wilson. He is LSU's #1 recruiting target for 2011.

Burt B.

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 05, 2009, 12:05:31 pm
It's a done deal. Frank Wilson got on a plane this morning heading to Baton Rouge. He will double his salary and make $300,000 per year at LSU. Wilson is from New Orleans and was Orgeron's #1 recruiter while at Ole Miss. Wilson was a very successful high school coach at OP Walker in NO.

LSU needs Wilson, because we just lost our number 1 recruiter, Larry Porter, when he became the Head Coach at Memphis.

The signing of Wilson by LSU is also huge because of All-World DT Anthony Johnson from OP Walker in New Orleans. Johnson is a man amoungst boys and was an early 2011 commit to UT because of Wilson. He is LSU's #1 recruiting target for 2011.

You LSU guys crack me up. Now that you have been on top for several years, you have forgotten what true need is in recruiting. ;)

The Hog

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 05, 2009, 12:05:31 pm

You will still have to beat Orgeron for this kid.  O is a true Cajun.  A RB and WR coach will not be coaching Johnson.  I don't see the impact on Johnson.  Sorry.
Automatic RUN!

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Snuff on December 05, 2009, 01:00:29 pm
You LSU guys crack me up. Now that you have been on top for several years, you have forgotten what true need is in recruiting. ;)

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm............True need is and always will be outstanding DT's.

Bama is playing for the national title because of their Defensive line, particularly Cody. Bama has an average QB that doesn't make many mistakes and an outstanding defense. LSU won 2 National Titles with that same recipe. LSU's first title was primarily because of Chad Lavalais and Marcus Spears and their 2nd was because of Glenn Dorsey.

Quote from: The Hog on December 05, 2009, 08:31:56 pm
You will still have to beat Orgeron for this kid.  O is a true Cajun.  A RB and WR coach will not be coaching Johnson.  I don't see the impact on Johnson.  Sorry.

Johnson committed to UT for one and only one reason: Frank Wilson.

You don't have to see the impact. Your lack of New Orleans recruiting is very limited compared to mine. Anthony Johnson already has seen the impact on Wilson being hired by LSU and his opinion is all that matters. Sorry.

The Hog

December 05, 2009, 08:54:08 pm #9 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:57:04 pm by The Hog
Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 05, 2009, 08:51:27 pm
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm............True need is and always will be outstanding DT's.

Bama is playing for the national title because of their Defensive line, particularly Cody. Bama has an average QB that doesn't make many mistakes and an outstanding defense. LSU won 2 National Titles with that same recipe. LSU's first title was primarily because of Chad Lavalais and Marcus Spears and their 2nd was because of Glenn Dorsey.

Johnson committed to UT for one and only one reason: Frank Wilson.

You don't have to see the impact. Your lack of New Orleans recruiting is very limited compared to mine. Anthony Johnson already has seen the impact on Wilson being hired by LSU and his opinion is all that matters. Sorry.
Don't bet against O and Kiffin landing this kid.  He is a number one target on the DL.  Chief is not Monte so don't discount the vols in this one.  LSU defense was suspect with Chief at the helm.

PS - mine recruiting knowledge is not limited when you have a couple of friends at Scout.

Does Jackson ring a bell.  Wilson was not involved.
Automatic RUN!

rebelbruiser

Here is what I find odd.  Frank Wilson's wheelhouse when it comes to recruiting is the state of Louisiana and the New Orleans area in particular.

Is there some reason why LSU would need to strengthen their Louisiana recruiting or their New Orleans recruiting?

Wilson is a very good recruiter, and he did very well for us at Ole Miss, but his recruiting territory again was Louisiana and N.O. in particular.  Is he going to help LSU clean up in Louisiana more than they already are?

I guess hiring him may keep him from stealing a prospect or two from LSU to UT each year, but still I think a coach with ties in Texas or Florida would've made a little bit more sense.  To me hiring Wilson is like trying to kill a fly with a hand grenade.  It's a little bit of overkill.

The Hog

There is no doubt Wilson is a good recruiter. 

Where was Wilson prior to Kiffin bringing him to Tennessee?
Automatic RUN!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: The Hog on December 06, 2009, 09:42:59 am
There is no doubt Wilson is a good recruiter. 

Where was Wilson prior to Kiffin bringing him to Tennessee?

He was at USM.  He was coaching at O. Perry Walker High School in New Orleans.  Orgeron hired him in 2005 as our RBs coach to get an in with Louisiana prospects.  He was under Orgeron from 2005-2007 at Ole Miss.  Then when Orgeron was fired, Wilson and a couple of our other assistants were hired by Fedora at USM because Fedora was trying to get an in on a lot of the in state prospects for his first class.

And when Kiffin hired Orgeron in 2009, Orgeron got him to bring along Wilson.  I want to say Mullen tried to get him at State too, and he may have even agreed to the job before UT hired him.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: rebelbruiser on December 05, 2009, 11:14:19 pm
Here is what I find odd.  Frank Wilson's wheelhouse when it comes to recruiting is the state of Louisiana and the New Orleans area in particular.

Is there some reason why LSU would need to strengthen their Louisiana recruiting or their New Orleans recruiting?

Wilson is a very good recruiter, and he did very well for us at Ole Miss, but his recruiting territory again was Louisiana and N.O. in particular.  Is he going to help LSU clean up in Louisiana more than they already are?

I guess hiring him may keep him from stealing a prospect or two from LSU to UT each year, but still I think a coach with ties in Texas or Florida would've made a little bit more sense.  To me hiring Wilson is like trying to kill a fly with a hand grenade.  It's a little bit of overkill.

I was born and raised in New Orleans so I understand the dynamics here. New Orleans is not southern and is and can be very disconnected from the rest of the state of Louisiana.

LSU lost New Orleans in the late 80's and throughout the 90's and that killed the program. New Orleans area recruiting is vital to the success of LSU and is never a sure thing like people outside this state think it is. It can be quite fashionable for NOLA kids to go out of state. LSU must have someone on staff who relates to the NOLA kids.

LSU's recruiting success is determined first by securing the top talent in NOLA and the river parishes. Secondly, securing the top talent in state and then cherry picking East Texas and the other key locations in the Gulf south.  When LSU follows this simple formula there is success, go away from it and disaster follows.

So, the hiring of Frank Wilson is a good one when you understand the dynamics of recruiting here in Louisiana. 

The Realist

Tennessee just lost their ace in South Florida Eddie Gran.  Big pay raise to FSU. 

I have the feeling Kiffin hired him for a year to get his contacts in Florida because he was with him every time he went down there.  And Gran never even signed a contract at UT
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

dbankster

AnthroHog

Quote from: The Realist on December 06, 2009, 04:53:43 pm
Tennessee just lost their ace in South Florida Eddie Gran.  Big pay raise to FSU. 

I have the feeling Kiffin hired him for a year to get his contacts in Florida because he was with him every time he went down there.  And Gran never even signed a contract at UT

Any news around Knoxville on who they are looking at to replace those two assistants?

The Realist

It will probably be a week or two but I would look for Kippy Brown, an NFL asst, or someone from South Florida so he can replace the Gran pipeline down there. 
A sleeper could be Notre Dame's WR coach Ianello or however you spell it. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 06, 2009, 01:06:24 pm
I was born and raised in New Orleans so I understand the dynamics here. New Orleans is not southern and is and can be very disconnected from the rest of the state of Louisiana.

LSU lost New Orleans in the late 80's and throughout the 90's and that killed the program. New Orleans area recruiting is vital to the success of LSU and is never a sure thing like people outside this state think it is. It can be quite fashionable for NOLA kids to go out of state. LSU must have someone on staff who relates to the NOLA kids.

LSU's recruiting success is determined first by securing the top talent in NOLA and the river parishes. Secondly, securing the top talent in state and then cherry picking East Texas and the other key locations in the Gulf south.  When LSU follows this simple formula there is success, go away from it and disaster follows.

So, the hiring of Frank Wilson is a good one when you understand the dynamics of recruiting here in Louisiana.

Fair enough.  It looked odd to me from the outside, but if what you say is true about some of the kids he was on track to take out of Louisiana to UT, it's probably worth it just to have him on your side, essentially taking one of your biggest threats and putting him on your team.

Thinking of some of the top NOLA prospects recently, I can see your point on how it's not quite as much of an LSU feeder as the rest of the state, and I guess that makes sense.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: The Hog on December 05, 2009, 08:54:08 pm
Don't bet against O and Kiffin landing this kid.  He is a number one target on the DL.  Chief is not Monte so don't discount the vols in this one.  LSU defense was suspect with Chief at the helm.

PS - mine recruiting knowledge is not limited when you have a couple of friends at Scout.

Does Jackson ring a bell.  Wilson was not involved.

Yep. Wilson was not involved at all in Johnson committing to UT. Wilson wasn't involved in the slightest in flipping Johnson's commitment to LSU either. (major sarcasm!!!).

http://louisianastate.scout.com/

http://lsu.rivals.com/

DeltaBoy

The moving van companys are having a Early Christmas this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Hog

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 18, 2009, 10:39:32 am
Yep. Wilson was not involved at all in Johnson committing to UT. Wilson wasn't involved in the slightest in flipping Johnson's commitment to LSU either. (major sarcasm!!!).

http://louisianastate.scout.com/

http://lsu.rivals.com/
Where did I say Wilson did not flip Johnson?  Where was Wilson with J. JACKSON?  Read more before jumping to conclusions.
Automatic RUN!

kclvr

It appears LSU already has 4 studs for 2011 and LA is loaded to the gills next year it appears. LA has 6 of the top 25 on ESPN's 150 watch list. Scary

MojaveJoe

LSU has no problems recruiting regardless of who is there. Hopefully they get a guy who can recruit but can't coach.

mike32

Quote from: kclvr on December 18, 2009, 09:18:57 pm
It appears LSU already has 4 studs for 2011 and LA is loaded to the gills next year it appears. LA has 6 of the top 25 on ESPN's 150 watch list. Scary

5 now, Kenny Hilliard now committed

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: razorbackmkh on December 04, 2009, 03:47:23 pm
You know his wife is from Arkansas and his brother in law lives in Fayetteville.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: The Hog on December 18, 2009, 06:01:15 pm
Where did I say Wilson did not flip Johnson?  Where was Wilson with J. JACKSON?  Read more before jumping to conclusions.

I may have mis-read the last sentence in your post I was referring to, but certainly didn't misinterpret the rest of what you have posted concerning Wilson and Johnson. I said the only reason Johnson committed to UT was Wilson and you said that

I said that Wilson will have a
Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 05, 2009, 08:51:27 pmJohnson committed to UT for one and only one reason: Frank Wilson.

I don't even know why you brought Jackson up when the discussion was and has been clearly about Wilson and Johnson. 

Jackson was an isolated instance. His father got a new job in Ohio and wanted him closer to him. He was also shopping for a better job and LSU wouldn't bite at all for him. UT gave Jackson's father hope of landing a job at UT in the future, something LSU wouldn't even address. Even though we wanted Jackson bad, I'm sure glad UT got him.

Quote from: MojaveJoe on December 19, 2009, 10:32:42 am
LSU has no problems recruiting regardless of who is there. Hopefully they get a guy who can recruit but can't coach.

I beg to differ. LSU did a lousy job of recruiting when Mike Archer and Curley Hallman were the head coach.

The Hog

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 19, 2009, 04:27:25 pm
I may have mis-read the last sentence in your post I was referring to, but certainly didn't misinterpret the rest of what you have posted concerning Wilson and Johnson. I said the only reason Johnson committed to UT was Wilson and you said that

I said that Wilson will have a
I don't even know why you brought Jackson up when the discussion was and has been clearly about Wilson and Johnson. 

Jackson was an isolated instance. His father got a new job in Ohio and wanted him closer to him. He was also shopping for a better job and LSU wouldn't bite at all for him. UT gave Jackson's father hope of landing a job at UT in the future, something LSU wouldn't even address. Even though we wanted Jackson bad, I'm sure glad UT got him.

I beg to differ. LSU did a lousy job of recruiting when Mike Archer and Curley Hallman were the head coach.

All I was saying was Coach O will not give up if this is the kid he wants.  Do not count it as a done deal.  It is not over.  It is a long time until NSD since this is a 11 recruit.

I don't question Wilson's ability as a recruiter.  He is good.  Very good and will definitely help LSU unless someone screws it up.  Orgeron is good and if Johnson wants to stay in state, it will be tough for Orgeron to pull him out but he has worked miracles before.
Automatic RUN!

MojaveJoe

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 19, 2009, 04:27:25 pm

Yeah. But now they're seen as a national powerhouse and La HS talent has exploded.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: The Hog on December 19, 2009, 05:34:47 pm
All I was saying was Coach O will not give up if this is the kid he wants.  Do not count it as a done deal.  It is not over.  It is a long time until NSD since this is a 11 recruit.

I don't question Wilson's ability as a recruiter.  He is good.  Very good and will definitely help LSU unless someone screws it up.  Orgeron is good and if Johnson wants to stay in state, it will be tough for Orgeron to pull him out but he has worked miracles before.

I do agree with you on this 100%.

Quote from: MojaveJoe on December 20, 2009, 10:26:16 am
Yeah. But now they're seen as a national powerhouse and La HS talent has exploded.

Louisiana HS talent has not just recently exploded. It has always been there. LSU just didn't always get the best in the past.

Here is just a little sample of Louisiana HS football greats. Some of them, yes went to LSU, but a lot of them went elsewhere.

QBs: Terry Bradshaw, Joe Ferguson, Bert Jones, YA Title, Doug Williams, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning.

RB's: Jim Taylor, Steve Van Buren, Marshall Faulk, Warrick Dunn, John David Crow, Dub Jones

WR's: Harold Carmichael, Charlie Joiner, Mark Duper, Eric Martin, Reggie Wayne

TE's: Jackie Smith, Billy Joe DuPree, Rodney Holman

O-linemen: Alan Faneca, Lance Smith, Kevin Mawae, Todd McClure, Jay Pennison, Cal Hubbard

D-linemen: Willie Davis, Fred Dean, Neil Smith, Buck Buchanan

DB's: Mel Blount, Willie Brown, Aeneas Williams, Ed Reed, Albert Lewis