Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the Kentucky Fans Coming to our board tonight.......

Started by hoglife, January 06, 2009, 10:34:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglife

We see why you love Pelphrey so much!!! We LOVE him too. And strangely I feel the need to thank you, for indirectly helping bring Arkansas back from hibernation. The sleeping giant has awoken.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Here's to looking forward to the GREAT games with you again in the near future!

Of course we plan on wining them!!!  ;)

GO HOGS GO!!!!!

Fillmore Slim

But keep your damn hands off him.  You can't have him back.

want2be

Pel's parent have moved to Arkansas......no going back now!

ps......He used to bleed blue until we offered him before you did.

TX HOG

"The atmosphere".....sigh.  He loves it here, it is genuine

Table Rocker

oldbear

I thought he was about to tear up when Dykes was interviewing him.  He seems to really enjoy coaching this team.  They are completely covered with his personality.  They are just tough.

josh_sec33

The SEG that he had after the final buzzer was priceless.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Marc Maggard

First off.... UK isn't looking for a new coach anytime soon.... Pel is safe for a while.....

But if UK ever did offer, you couldn't pack his bags quick enough.... that's not being mean or anything....it's just being honest. 

Of course he loves Arkansas.... it's a great school for hoops with great support.... he's going to do a great job for you guys.  But he's a Ky boy and always will be....born and raised in Paintsville and his lifetime dream is to play and then coach at UK.

mm

dddollars

Quote from: want2be on January 06, 2009, 10:45:14 pm

Pel's parent have moved to Arkansas......no going back now!

ps......He used to bleed blue until we offered him before you did.

YA THEY CAN HAVE BILLY......WELL "SETTLE FOR PELL" POOR US  :'(  :P  ;)

Hoggish1

Quote from: Marc Maggard on January 06, 2009, 11:03:26 pm
First off.... UK isn't looking for a new coach anytime soon.... Pel is safe for a while.....

But if UK ever did offer, you couldn't pack his bags quick enough.... that's not being mean or anything....it's just being honest. 

Of course he loves Arkansas.... it's a great school for hoops with great support.... he's going to do a great job for you guys.  But he's a Ky boy and always will be....born and raised in Paintsville and his lifetime dream is to play and then coach at UK.

mm

Marc the only part of your post that we didn't know was ¶ 1.  Thanks for filling us in about Gilispie.  We hope you enjoy him for a good long while and we kick your tail whenever we meet, which should be enough to win many titles to your runners up.

Hawgrox

I love Pel...but if the Kentucky job ever comes open he is gone. I would not blame him. It would be like one of us getting an upstart job and having a real good record and then lucking into the Kentucky job and then kicking arse for about 4 or 5 years....if the Arkansas job opened up...we'd be gone...don't lie.

Just sayin'.....

elksnort

mm

Do you know John Pelphrey?

Franchise Hawgs

Did you see the jacket tonight? He aint going anywhere.

Marc Maggard

dunnhead

Quote from: opineonswine on January 06, 2009, 11:13:30 pm
You people incl MM don't know what you are talking about.  Just ask him.

I'm sure he'll tell you he isn't going anywhere, but I trust a used car salesman more than I trust a D-1 college coach.  I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling he's gone if he gets the call.

Marc Maggard

Ask him?  Do you think he's going to tell you that he'd leave to take the UK job?????

I know John Pelphrey, but more importantly, I know a lot of people who know him very well.... every one of them will tell you what I just told you.

Nothing to get upset about..... he's a Ky boy.  Played there and grew up there.  It's also probably the top job in college basketball.....why wouldn't he take it if it's offered???

mm

elksnort

RE freakin lax.

He's got to get something done here first.

And MM,

I remember your previous posts. I suspect that you know your stuff. I also detect some hubris though.

beachhawg

MM, I would be willing to bet that the guy you are disagreeing with knows him on a personal level.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2009, 11:23:15 pm
RE freakin lax.

He's got to get something done here first.

And MM,

I remember your previous posts. I suspect that you know your stuff. I also detect some hubris though.

Hubris?  What would that matter? 

I can tell you that there are a TON of coaches who wouldn't leave a job to come to UK..... Crean turned down UK before he took the IU job..... there are people who don't want the spotlight....

It's just that Pel is not one of em.  I can promise you guys that.  Nothing to do with Hubris or anything else.... I don't mind saying stuff that isn't pro UK.....

mm

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Bailey on January 06, 2009, 11:25:38 pm
MM, I would be willing to bet that the guy you are disagreeing with knows him on a personal level.

I know him too....have for a long time.  And know a TON of his family and friends very well..... how do you think I get my opinion?

but what do you think Pel would say to people while he's coaching at Arkansas?  "I'll be gone if UK offers me a job"??  Of course not. 

mm

Table Rocker

KY will give BG a few years, I like pel's chances here in that time.

elksnort

Pelphrey did say one time that he could never please them or somethning?

I don't have the exact quote in my head.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Marc Maggard on January 06, 2009, 11:21:56 pm
Ask him?  Do you think he's going to tell you that he'd leave to take the UK job?????

I know John Pelphrey, but more importantly, I know a lot of people who know him very well.... every one of them will tell you what I just told you.

Nothing to get upset about..... he's a Ky boy.  Played there and grew up there.  It's also probably the top job in college basketball.....why wouldn't he take it if it's offered???

mm

Why would he go to KY?   He has everything to lose there and everything to gain at Arkansas.  No way he leaves if he gets entrenched in the community and has such great support from our fans.  What more could he ask for?   

Sure KY is home, but if he fails there, it could turn out just like HDN here.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

dddollars

CAUSE ITS THE WORST JOB IN BASKETBALL THATS WHYYOUR LAST COACH LEFT IF YOU DONT GIVE PEL ENOUGH TIME IT WOULD END HIS TIME AS A COACH IF YOU FIRED HIM

mm

mmweber01

JIHawg

Quote from: dunnhead on January 06, 2009, 11:20:05 pm
I'm sure he'll tell you he isn't going anywhere, but I trust a used car salesman more than I trust a D-1 college coach.  I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling he's gone if he gets the call.

Wait a minute-the used car salesman was a college coach.

Marc Maggard

ok....you guys enjoy your win.... that's what the board should be about tonite..... Pel isn't going anywhere soon.....if ever.....

mm

elksnort

Quote from: Marc Maggard on January 06, 2009, 11:37:18 pm
ok....you guys enjoy your win.... that's what the board should be about tonite..... Pel isn't going anywhere soon.....if ever.....

mm
I'm not sure you understand what I mentioned about. If you are a pro, why do you want to be around us amateurs.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2009, 11:40:05 pm
I'm not sure you understand what I mentioned about. If you are a pro, why do you want to be around us amateurs.

Where else do you talk hoops?  Do you guys have a "pro only" message board around here???

mm

elksnort

Good point. Pro is not interesting until the playoffs. And frankly, those are too lengthy.

SearkHog

Love the guy. Hell, he has brought us closer to national prominence in a week than anything else in the past decade.  However, his jersey is hanging from the rafters.  Kentucky just became my biggest sweetheart team ever.  Arkansas is a basketball school, should be a basketball power year in and year out, and if Pelphrey gets us back there and Kentucky decides they want him home, there's no way I could be upset with him leaving.  Think DMAC coaching at LSU, its the same thing.  But for now, he's got work to do, and BG has to fail, so we've got him as long as we want him.  Here comes a big a$$ raise, he loves it, we love him, all is well.  Hope KY wins every damm game they play unless its against us.  Huge win, welcome back hogs, its been a long time coming.  WPS

elksnort

Pelphrey is no DMac, (although, in some ways you are right).

But, one big correction. Arkansas is a FOOTBALL school.

Razorvet

I give one half of a shite what Maggot thinks.

You were spot on about our recruits Maggot.

Go back to your moms basement and scout some fleas for the next big circus at the Maggard family reunion.

Marc Maggard

Quote from: Razorvet on January 06, 2009, 11:55:04 pm
I give one half of a crape what Maggot thinks.

You were spot on about our recruits Maggot.

Go back to your moms basement and scout some fleas for the next big circus at the Maggard family reunion.

I prefer a whole crape.....

and yes, I was spot on about Arkansas recruits.......thanks.

I don't go to Maggard reunions....those people are freaky

mm

hoglife

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2009, 11:51:48 pm

Actually, Arkansas is a sports school. Whenever there is something to root for, the fans are there rooting for it!!! That's why we have VERY NICE facilities for ALL sports.

MDH

I disagree.  That has become true in the Heath era, but in the 90's Arkansas was every bit as much a Basketball school as it was a Football school.  Give the state something founded on visible hard work and effort and they will get behind it.  'Cause down here, well, that's how we roll. ;)

(of course I'm not 'down here' anymore...)
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

cityhog

mm

I'll tell you why.  His jersey hangs from the rafters.  Does he really want to jeopardize his own legend.  Fans are fickle.  Much easier to love a player than love a coach.

SearkHog

January 07, 2009, 12:05:49 am #40 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:09:02 am by SearkHog
I'm a football fanatic and season ticket holder.  But honestly, arkansas as a top 15 team is 3rd or 4th in the SEC and thats a tall order.  The SEC is brutal in football, it isn't in basketball.  We have recently been and can be again a top 10-15 basketball team every year.  Nationally, we are a basketball school.  There are only a couple of schools in my opinion (which goes without saying) in the SEC that can realistically compete every year for a top 5 or 10 football ranking, we aren't one of them.  I don't mean we can't, I mean every single year for 10-15 years strait.  Basketball, we can absolutely can.  I love football and hope we can get to where we want to be, but basketball is a lot bigger deal on the national arena for us consistently than football.  And as far as facilities go, we are top notch in every area of just about every sport.  But no one outside of arkansas would consider us a top 10 football stadium.  just facts.  Many, many people would consider us a top ten basketball stadium.  It isn't just the quality, its the quality in comparison to everyone else.  just my opinion. 

--- The dmac reference-  retire a players jersey, have him coach at another school, and if times get tough, want him back.  same thing.  im aware he wasnt top player in the country, but he is home grown, played for an elite national program instate, excelled there, and is rising the coaching ranks.  yeah, its the same thing.

3kgthog

If anyone thinks the University of Arkansas would make another Nutt mistake and allow him to go to another SEC school you are crazy. Retard John White isn't running this show anymore.

stchane

Quote from: hoglife on January 06, 2009, 11:59:13 pm
Actually, Arkansas is a sports school. Whenever there is something to root for, the fans are there rooting for it!!! That's why we have VERY NICE facilities for ALL sports.

4 sport school:  football, basketball, baseball, & track
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

40MINSOFHELL

my friend you are wrong...Arkansas is a BASKETBALL school.

Keyser Sooieze

Quote from: Franchise Hawgs on January 06, 2009, 11:15:46 pm
Did you see the jacket tonight? He aint going anywhere.

Wonder if Eddie Sutton brought him that jacket when he came to the game tonight? :D

Razorvet

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on January 07, 2009, 12:10:42 am

Whats so great about Arkansas is that the fans are so great we dont have to be a one sport school. If you put a hog on it in this state the fans will support it.

Man_O_Pork

mm

If Pelphrey ever leaves for Kentucky, whether it be two seasons from now or 10 seasons from now, I'll wish him luck and thank him for changes to the program.  I'll wish him success, except for when he plays the Hogs.

No sensible person, even a Hog fan (because I know we're borderline sensible sometimes) could blame the guy for taking the job if it's ever offered to him.

Now, having said that, I'd rather dwell on the good things that're happening here, at Arkansas, right now. 

Conjecturing about him leaving to take the Kentucky job is like dwelling on the possibility of your wife leaving you for Brad Pitt if given the chance.

ChicoHog

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on January 07, 2009, 12:10:42 am
It's how you define it.  I still bet more fans care about football than basketball and to me that's how you define a school.  There are only a few real basketball schools; Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, UCLA and maybe I am missing a few more.  At those schools basketball is more important to the fans than football.  At Arkansas football is more important (I think).

petrinoknowsbest

This school has been a national power house in basketball with a very rich tradition.  I hate to say this but are football team will never be on the same level as our basketball team. If our basketball team ever loses to the citadel or our football team wins a NC and finishes runner up the next year i will be hear for my blackened crow. 

hogninja

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 07, 2009, 12:08:59 am
If anyone thinks the University of Arkansas would make another Nutt mistake and allow him to go to another SEC school you are crazy. Retard John White isn't running this show anymore.

But the question is would JP sign that contract?  IF he wanted to keep that door open, I say no.  IF he sees AR as the place to build, then he will sign it without blinking.  Make no mistake about it, Pel is about to get a big raise if this season pans out, Heck he may even get one today, but JL WILL have a no compete clause in it, but that is only money from the other school anyway, so we're back to ground zero.  It would be a hefty check though. IMHO. ;D :razorback: