Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

West Virginia

Started by nebhog70, March 11, 2016, 10:10:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nebhog70

Huggins has West Var playing like the Hogs played in the '90s. Pressing all over, diving for loose balls and generating turnovers. He has OU rattled with a very high energy game.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

Paul

Oliver

Dr. Starcs

Huggy got lucky. He should've had his kid miss that 2nd free throw.

Hield is a stud.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nebhog70 on March 11, 2016, 10:10:47 pm
Huggins has West Var playing like the Hogs played in the '90s. Pressing all over, diving for loose balls and generating turnovers. He has OU rattled with a very high energy game.

That style doesn't work anymore. Just ask some of the "objective" posters in this forum.

lefty08

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 12, 2016, 05:50:00 am
That style doesn't work anymore. Just ask some of the "objective" posters in this forum.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HOGINTENNESSEE

He is a wonderful coach. I wouldn't make out with a player after they got hurt. But to each there own.

HogBreath

Don't pay any mind to those guys..they're just basing that on Mike Anderson's ongoing struggles.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The_Iceman

Huggins uses the defense for defense. Mike uses his defense to speed to game up for more offense. I wish we looked like WV.

Dr. Starcs

Half of hogville would've ran off Huggy after 2012-13 when the might mountaineers went 13-19 overall, 6-12 in the conference and finished 8th out of 10 teams in the big 12.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 09:14:17 am
Half of hogville would've ran off Huggy after 2012-13 when the might mountaineers went 13-19 overall, 6-12 in the conference and finished 8th out of 10 teams in the big 12.

Probably

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 09:14:17 am

Previous 3 years:

Final Four
Second Round
First Round

I think his job would be safe. Ignorant comment.

jgphillips3

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 12, 2016, 09:20:09 am
Previous 3 years:

Final Four
Second Round
First Round

3 straight NCAA's earns you a bad year.

Dr. Starcs

So should 4 consecutive years of improvement earn CMA a down year?

The Boar War

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 09:34:00 am

I'm not calling for Mike's job.  But I could be persuaded if the second round of the tournament is the high water mark; we take years to get to it; and then have to fall back down to .500.  No fan base would be happy with that.

ChicoHog

I've never been a fan of Huggins style on or off the court.  But he does get his players to play hard.  I admit I have not seen them play this year.  I just remember at Cincinnati he always seemed to have a lot of questionable characters and guys that were athletic but necessarily good basketball players.  Kind of ugly basketball I guess you can call it. 

LR_Matt

Paul

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 12, 2016, 10:00:50 am
I've never been a fan of Huggins style on or off the court.  But he does get his players to play hard.  I admit I have not seen them play this year.  I just remember at Cincinnati he always seemed to have a lot of questionable characters and guys that were athletic but necessarily good basketball players.  Kind of ugly basketball I guess you can call it.
losing=ugly basketball.

HawgAdvocate

It probably would have if the staff had gotten out of their own way with bad non-conference scheduling so that 'improvement' meant getting to the Dance prior to year four. 'Improvement' is a nice thing to point to, except that the annual marginal 'improvement' we experienced always fell frustratingly short at the end of each of those first three seasons, for various reasons.

They should have went to the Dance in year three, except the staff wasn't serious about scheduling properly. After the multiple preseason articles on our weak non-conference schedule came out, and Jeff Long was asked to quote about it (credit Jim Harris), the staff was ordered to have their hands held for future seasons' scheduling efforts.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 12, 2016, 10:56:08 am
It probably would have if the staff had gotten out of their own way with bad non-conference scheduling so that 'improvement' meant getting to the Dance prior to year four. 'Improvement' is a nice thing to point to, except that said annual 'improvement' always fell frustratingly short at the end of each of those first three seasons, for various reasons.
and don't forget about missing out on prized recruits in KeVaughn Allen, Eric Curry and Malik Monk  ;)

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 12, 2016, 11:00:43 am
and don't forget about missing out on prized recruits in KeVaughn Allen, Eric Curry and Malik Monk  ;)

And that certainly hasn't helped. For me though, with regards to recruiting, it's not so much that the staff hasn't been able to secure most/all of our recent in-state impact players as much as they've not been able to establish an effective recruiting presence in/around Dallas, Memphis, Tulsa, Kansas City, etc so as to supplant what we didn't land here at home. The Birmingham area (JaCorey, Coty, CJ Jones) appears to have provided more Razorbacks for Coach A than any other out of state region, for what it's worth.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 12, 2016, 09:20:09 am
Previous 3 years:

Final Four
Second Round
First Round

That's not improvement.  That's getting worse every year.  I'd rather win 18, 19, 22, and 27 games respective while only making the NCAAT once.  Especially in a tough basketball conference like the SEC. 

Dr. Starcs

How many national championships has the big 12 won in the last 10 years?

Oliver

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 11:28:35 am

I didn't say the Big 12 was a tough basketball conference.  Although it's a hell of a lot better than the SEC now

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 11:28:35 am

Just one (KU), though the conference membership has been in turmoil for much of that time (teams coming and going).

Dr. Starcs

Same West Virginia team that got blown out by Florida.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 11:46:05 am

They're still a top 10 team nationally. They beat #1 Kansas.

As we've seen with Arkansas having a winning record against Kentucky the past few years, winning a battle means little if you can't win the war.

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 12, 2016, 11:49:00 am
They're still a top 10 team nationally. They beat #1 Kansas.

As we've seen with Arkansas having a winning record against Kentucky the past few years, winning a battle means little if you can't win the war.

Your wisdom and time is being wasted my friend

Wild Bill Hog

Maybe Huggins has simply recruited better players and does a good job of player development and in game coaching.

WBOBO

This is Nolan ball.   Sneaky trap when ya don't see it.  They are a pest.  Announcer just said they
are a nuisance.  Reminds me of the way we use to play.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

root_hawg

Hmm ...
MA last 10 years ... 4 NCAA tourney bids (1 elite 8) and 1 NIT

Huggins last 10 years ... 6 NCAA tourney bids (1 final 4/ 2 sweet 16) and 2 NIT

Wonder if Huggins would come here???

Danny J

It probably would have if the staff had gotten out of their own way with bad non-conference scheduling so that 'improvement' meant getting to the Dance prior to year four. 'Improvement' is a nice thing to point to, except that the annual marginal 'improvement' we experienced always fell frustratingly short at the end of each of those first three seasons, for various reasons.

They should have went to the Dance in year three, except the staff wasn't serious about scheduling properly. After the multiple preseason articles on our weak non-conference schedule came out, and Jeff Long was asked to quote about it (credit Jim Harris), the staff was ordered to have their hands held for future seasons' scheduling efforts.
Yep and the orders came directly from the SEC league office. It was not just an Arkansas problem but a problem overall for the SEC. I am not sure if Greg Shaheen is still being paid as a consultant to help SEC schools in that regard but it certainly helped last season. Definitely need that going forward.

root_hawg

when will we see next year's schedule

WorfHog

Quote from: root_hawg on March 12, 2016, 06:57:57 pm
Hmm ...
MA last 10 years ... 4 NCAA tourney bids (1 elite 8) and 1 NIT

Huggins last 10 years ... 6 NCAA tourney bids (1 final 4/ 2 sweet 16) and 2 NIT

Wonder if Huggins would come here???

I think WBU is his last stop. I'd love to throw the vault at Virginia's coach though...

root_hawg

That was my attempt at being funny, why would the Va or Huggins want to come here?  Why would any coach in a P5 conference who has had any success want to come here?

ChicoHog

Quote from: root_hawg on March 15, 2016, 12:16:26 am
That was my attempt at being funny, why would the Va or Huggins want to come here?  Why would any coach in a P5 conference who has had any success want to come here?
I don't think they would unless they are also on the hot seat and then we probably wouldn't be interested in them.  Need to go the mid-major route likely.  I think it's all a moot point anyway as Anderson is pretty much untouchable for now with his connections.

pigmailyen

"4 consiecutive years of improvement" = "National Championship Under Construction"
FIFY

lefty08

Quote from: WorfHog on March 12, 2016, 09:01:32 pm
I think WBU is his last stop. I'd love to throw the vault at Virginia's coach though...

You think fans are bitching now? Let us win a few games by scoring 46 points and see what happens. This place would explode
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Oliver

Quote from: root_hawg on March 15, 2016, 12:16:26 am

Because they can make the NCAAT in only one out of five years and keep still keep their job?

Dr. Starcs

pigmailyen:

--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 09:34:00 am ---So should 4 consecutive years of improvement earn CMA a down year?

--- End quote ---

"4 consiecutive years of improvement" = "National Championship Under Construction"
FIFY

I shouldn't even respond to someone who compares CMA to motho.

ChicoHog

Quote from: lefty08 on March 15, 2016, 06:19:01 am
You think fans are bitching now? Let us win a few games by scoring 46 points and see what happens. This place would explode
Uh, you might want to check your facts first.  UVA averaged over 70 points per game. 

John Snow

Bob Huggins lucked into having great players on the team and recruits already signed or committed from the previous coach which led to his first four years being successful . But the next three seasons from 2012 to 2014 he had subpar years  of 19-14, 13-19,17-16 and missing NCAA all three years and NIT berth. It is not until last year and this year that he had his own players he recruited to perform well,which would be year 8 and 9 for Bob Huggins at WVU. It took 4  years for Coach Mike Anderson years to finally make the nacaa tourney with his own players except for Rashad Madden after inheriting the horrible players from Pelphrey that had CMA handcuffed the first three years from recruiting . Also fixing the low APR academic grades from Pelphrey didn't help his first few years at Arkansas with limited scholarships.

jry04

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 12, 2016, 11:46:05 am
WVU was also on the road playing without a senior starter. Holton was out, and he is a 6'7" F averaging like 9 pts 9 reb a game getting 20+ MPG. UF winning at home doesn't mean WVU is overrated. That is like saying Kansas isn't good because they lost by 18 at Oklahoma State, yet they are the #1 overall seed.

lefty08

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 15, 2016, 08:57:30 am
Uh, you might want to check your facts first.  UVA averaged over 70 points per game.

One season ?  Can we cherry pick MAs stats as well?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: John Snow on March 15, 2016, 10:33:57 am
Bob Huggins lucked into having great players on the team and recruits already signed or committed from the previous coach which led to his first four years being successful . But the next three seasons from 2012 to 2014 he had subpar years  of 19-14, 13-19,17-16 and missing NCAA all three years and NIT berth. It is not until last year and this year that he had his own players he recruited to perform well,which would be year 8 and 9 for Bob Huggins at WVU. It took 4  years for Coach Mike Anderson years to finally make the nacaa tourney with his own players except for Rashad Madden after inheriting the horrible players from Pelphrey that had CMA handcuffed the first three years from recruiting . Also fixing the low APR academic grades from Pelphrey didn't help his first few years at Arkansas with limited scholarships.

No.  You are overstating the situation and what he did. 

I like the way UVa plays and they are well coached.  The pack line is very effective.  Better be efficient on offense though if you are going to play this way with limited possessions (UVa is).  UVa avg the fewest possessions per game out of all 351 D1 teams.  Wouldn't work with our fan base. 

In looking at some stats, both UVa and WV have big discrepancies in home vs road in some areas because of how physical they play defensively.  How would that translate into the SEC?  WV was called for 27 fouls at Fl in Jan and Fl had a FTA advantage of 31-16. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 12, 2016, 08:29:01 am
Huggins uses the defense for defense. Mike uses his defense to speed to game up for more offense. I wish we looked like WV.

as expected, that line went right by most posters.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Paul

Quote from: lefty08 on March 15, 2016, 06:19:01 am
Although it was a shock to the system when Sutton's 3 D's replaced Lanny Van Eman's Running Razorbacks I enjoyed the winning.  I'm sure I'd enjoy any style of basketball as long as the other team has fewer points.

Breems

We probably could've danced in year 3 had we won @Bama or beat USCe to end the season.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />