Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kenneth Dixon

Started by factchecker, January 26, 2016, 05:35:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Why are people on other message boards citing Mr. Dixon as an example of Coach Bielema misevaluating (overlooking) homegrown talent?

Kenneth Dixon was a recruit in the 2012 class.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/122708/kenneth-dixon
http://247sports.com/player/kenneth-dixon-12439

Bielema was coaching Wisconsin at the time.

Dixon was overlooked by Petrino's staff.  He was told that he was too slow.  Similar to how Spaight wasn't offered.  He was thought to be too small for the SEC. Spaight was set to go to SAU before he decided to go to Coffeyville:

http://athlonsports.com/martrell-spaight-followed-heart-arkansas-and-rewarded

and

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/6/3956264/alabama-recruiting-altee-tenpenny-signing-day-profile

Quote"Spaight, a senior at North Little Rock High when Tenpenny was a sophomore, didn't think he'd ever play for any major college program, especially Arkansas. He didn't have the grades. Former Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino didn't show him any love – not in high school, and not when he attended Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College to raise both his grades and his profile. So when a program the caliber of Kansas State offered him a scholarship, he jumped at the opportunity and committed on Dec. 10.

However, after Bielema and Bobby Allen visited his North Little Rock home, he changed. "I could tell he was a great coach and I could see him doing big things at the University of Arkansas."

Don't get me wrong.  Bielema makes plenty of mistakes.  There are bound to be hits and misses. However, as my username implies, I hate falsehoods.

I would fix the mistakes on the respective sites but I refuse to pay for lazy reporting.  RD provides higher quality recruiting information than any other service and brings it here free.

Add:  John L coached the 2012 season but the 2012 recruiting class was Petrino.  He wrecked his Harley in April, a full month after signing day.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

onebadrubi

People tell on themselves daily. Just laugh at their stupidity and move on

Atlhogfan1

Pay boards?  They draw in the gullible. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

factchecker

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 26, 2016, 05:37:32 pm
People tell on themselves daily. Just laugh at their stupidity and move on

I agree.  I want to note this isn't a Petrino vs. Bielema debate.  Petrino is an offensive genius.  I also don't believe his recruiting was a bad as some lead it to be.

That 2012 class had some legit players:

J-Will
Hatcher
Taiwan Johnson
Philon
Deatrich Wise
Sprinkle
Winston
Jared Collins

In that group alone is a future NFL running back and a current NFL defensive lineman.  Not to mention the rest are currently impact players for us.  Sprinkle had to be the steal of that class.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Uncommon

January 26, 2016, 05:56:50 pm #4 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:27:29 pm by Uncommon
Petrino's 2011 staff did a good job evaluating in-state talent.

Dixon was a miss on Petrino and staff in 2012 along with Zac Brooks who went to Clemson.  Also, Jemar Clark out of McCrory was a borderline offensive line prospect we could've offered.  Had good size and nice feet.  Really could've helped our offensive line depth considering Cordale Boyd and Jeremy Ward, our only 2 OL signees in that class, didn't contribute while they were here and even were both moved to DT.  Could've been a DeMarcus Love or Ray Dominguez type of player for us.

Bielema's staff did a fantastic job evaluating 2013 in-state talent.

The 2014 crop had some players we didn't offer that could play.  One that had potential but didn't do the right things as far as going to camps and classwork was Springdale's DeAndre Murray who originally signed with Tulsa but didn't qualify and is now a redshirt freshman at Pittsburg State.  If he camped and got his grades in order, he could've gotten our coaches attention.  Could've helped with RB depth.

Zack Wary was interesting.  We offered but it was a greyshirt offer.  Looking back, maybe could've helped to have had him.  Maybe wouldn't have had to play Dre so early.

Jabe Burgess was good but we went with Peavey instead.

Jarvis Cooper out of West Memphis as our fullback would've been amazing.  He's getting significant playing time at Memphis as a RB.

factchecker

Quote from: Uncommon on January 26, 2016, 05:56:50 pm
That was a miss on Petrino and staff in 2012 along with Zac Brooks who went to Clemson.  Also, Jemar Clark out of McCrory was a borderline offensive line prospect we could've offered.  Had good size and nice feet.  Really could've helped our offensive line depth considering Cordale Boyd and Jeremy Ward, our only 2 OL signees in that class, didn't contribute while they were here and even were both moved to DT.  Could've been a DeMarcus Love or Ray Dominguez type of player for us.

What was the deal on Ward.  Did he injure his back?  I still see him on the sideline but never in full gear.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HoGs1031

Quote from: Uncommon on January 26, 2016, 05:56:50 pm
That was a miss on Petrino and staff in 2012 along with Zac Brooks who went to Clemson.  Also, Jemar Clark out of McCrory was a borderline offensive line prospect we could've offered.  Had good size and nice feet.  Really could've helped our offensive line depth considering Cordale Boyd and Jeremy Ward, our only 2 OL signees in that class, didn't contribute while they were here and even were both moved to DT.  Could've been a DeMarcus Love or Ray Dominguez type of player for us.

Zac Brooks was from South Carolina and moved here his Jr year I believe. So we didn't miss on him he was always wanting to go back to SC.

IronHog

BP missed on Dixon but in his defense Dixon was a late bloomer.

Dixon really blew up the second half of his senior year physically as I recall....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Uncommon

Quote from: HoGs1031 on January 26, 2016, 06:05:08 pm
Zac Brooks was from South Carolina and moved here his Jr year I believe. So we didn't miss on him he was always wanting to go back to SC.
Didn't know that.  Thanks for the tidbit.

ricepig

Zac moved from Osceola to Jonesboro between his 9th and 10th grade years, lol. He was originally from Florida I believe.

Uncommon

HoGs1031

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 06:06:34 pm
Zac moved from Osceola to Jonesboro between his 9th and 10th grade years, lol. He was originally from Florida I believe.

Thanks for the clear up. I knew he moved from the East Coast. I thought it was SC. Too many recruiting cycles everything in the past blends together. lol

ricepig

Quote from: HoGs1031 on January 26, 2016, 06:09:43 pm
Thanks for the clear up. I knew he moved from the East Coast. I thought it was SC. Too many recruiting cycles everything in the past blends together. lol

No problem, I was 50/50 on his ability. It was hard to tell if he was a RB or WR, more an athlete.

opineonswine

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2016, 05:48:33 pm
I agree.  I want to note this isn't a Petrino vs. Bielema debate.  Petrino is an offensive genius.  I also don't believe his recruiting was a bad as some lead it to be.

J-Will
Hatcher
Taiwan Johnson
Philon
Deatrich Wise
Sprinkle
Winston
Jared Collins

In that group alone is a future NFL running back and a current NFL defensive lineman.  Not to mention the rest are currently impact players for us.  Sprinkle had to be the steal of that class.

Petrino is a HORRIBLE recruiter.

HoGs1031

Ya he was on of the few instate kids that I was ok with leaving. Granted I want all in-state kids to be hogs.

IronHog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 26, 2016, 06:12:06 pm

He was an elite left OT and a linebacker away from doing it all.

BB can't get either of those.....either.

opineonswine

Quote from: IronHog on January 26, 2016, 06:20:30 pm

Revisionist history.  He left the defensive side of the cupboard in horrible shape.  No one with his offensive (no pun intended) personality can recruit these days.  No one wants to be around him.  But I know some of you think he was the second coming.  Turns out he was a curse to the Arkansas program.  But that is water under the bridge.  Moving on.....

Sir Oinksalot

....who is doing that? If anyone rags on Coach do what SO does - call them a poohead
in a nice way and turn yo back around.....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

redeye

Quote from: IronHog on January 26, 2016, 06:05:58 pm
BP missed on Dixon but in his defense Dixon was a late bloomer.

Dixon really blew up the second half of his senior year physically as I recall....

I remember some around here almost crying because we didn't offer Dixon and they were right.

Zac Brooks was never a possibility to my recollection.  Think he was zeroed in on Clemson all along.

There was also a DE from NWA, I believe, who Petrino passed on and I believe he ended up having a nice career at Oklahoma State.  I can't remember his name, though.

Peter Porker

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2016, 05:35:18 pm
Why are people on other message boards citing Mr. Dixon as an example of Coach Bielema misevaluating (overlooking) homegrown talent?

Kenneth Dixon was a recruit in the 2012 class.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/122708/kenneth-dixon
http://247sports.com/player/kenneth-dixon-12439

Bielema was coaching Wisconsin at the time.

Dixon was overlooked by Petrino's staff.  He was told that he was too slow.  Similar to how Spaight wasn't offered.  He was thought to be too small for the SEC. Spaight was set to go to SAU before he decided to go to Coffeyville:

http://athlonsports.com/martrell-spaight-followed-heart-arkansas-and-rewarded

and

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/6/3956264/alabama-recruiting-altee-tenpenny-signing-day-profile

Don't get me wrong.  Bielema makes plenty of mistakes.  There are bound to be hits and misses. However, as my username implies, I hate falsehoods.

I would fix the mistakes on the respective sites but I refuse to pay for lazy reporting.  RD provides higher quality recruiting information than any other service and brings it here free.

Add:  John L coached the 2012 season but the 2012 recruiting class was Petrino.  He wrecked his Harley in April, a full month after signing day.

Which board?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

factchecker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 26, 2016, 07:53:23 pm
Which board?

No comment.  I haven't read 247 since filipinohog/ag and his many alters were allowed to run amuck.

add: Otis does a good job but I can't stand alters. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Nosboar Accubond

Zac wanted to play RB and Clemson offered him that, we wanted him at a diff position. Played a big role. Does he play much at Clemson?

Uncommon

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 26, 2016, 08:37:55 pm
Zac wanted to play RB and Clemson offered him that, we wanted him at a diff position. Played a big role. Does he play much at Clemson?
Played in 14 games this season with 347 All Purpose Yards (234 rushing, 113 receiving) and 5 touchdowns (3 rushing, 2 receiving).

shshark00

I don't get this constant complaint. It's not like Dixon went to Bama or Oregon or LSU and blew it up. Did Petrino miss on his evaluation? Yup. Did every other coach in a Power 5 conference miss on their evaluation? Yup. Dixon is a poor example for any coach missing an evaluation, because they ALL missed it.

IronHog

Quote from: redeye on January 26, 2016, 07:49:27 pm
I remember some around here almost crying because we didn't offer Dixon and they were right.

Zac Brooks was never a possibility to my recollection.  Think he was zeroed in on Clemson all along.

There was also a DE from NWA, I believe, who Petrino passed on and I believe he ended up having a nice career at Oklahoma State.  I can't remember his name, though.

Didn't Ark and a few other big schools roll in on Dixon late and he wasn't interested?

I was very aware of Dixon because he was from Strong.  He played a lot of QB in HS.

jry04

I think Dixon is a solid back, but can we really say we missed on him? We had Knile Davis, Alex Collins, and JWill during the times Dixon was in school. Dixon failed to run for 100 yards on every power 5 school they faced the last 2 seasons.

Just this year, in mutual opponents, Dixon ran for 81 yards on 17 carries and 0 TDs in a OT loss against Kansas State. Then ran for 39 yards 0 TDs on 19 carries against a 5-7 UTEP team.

Ran for 42 yards on 16 carries against OU last season. 14 carries on 29 yards against Auburn. 13 carries on 63 yards against Illinois. I get that a lot of it has to do with their line, but most good running backs find a way to break a few good runs off and have solid games at least a few good teams they play. He struggled to get going against most of the quality competition, so can we really say we missed on him compared to what we had? Collins is rated higher than him, and JWill would have been had he stayed healthy. Maybe we don't get 1 of those 2 if we have Dixon, but Dixon probably doesn't play much if any at Arkansas if everything was the same with just the addition of Dixon.

MissippHog

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2016, 05:48:33 pm

J-Will
Hatcher
Taiwan Johnson
Philon
Deatrich Wise
Sprinkle
Winston
Jared Collins

To be fair, Philon fell into his lap. 

Biggus Piggus

How do you know anyone on another message board is complaining about Bielema not getting Dixon, when you can't read their post?
[CENSORED]!

hei5manhog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 26, 2016, 06:12:06 pm

It's amazing he ever gets anyone to play for him. I bet he's had some AWKWARD in-homes since he left here. Not only is he a psychopath on the field (which doesn't look like where I would want my kid spending 4-5 years) but the all the other baggage. He wasn't a top-flite recruiter before all of that. Can't imagine how difficult it is now.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

JaketheSnake

Look at the 2010 class on 247.  What an awful class as a whole. We had some good players from that class, but the amount of misses was huge.

Temprees

Quote from: jry04 on January 27, 2016, 08:10:11 am
I think Dixon is a solid back, but can we really say we missed on him? We had Knile Davis, Alex Collins, and JWill during the times Dixon was in school. Dixon failed to run for 100 yards on every power 5 school they faced the last 2 seasons.

Just this year, in mutual opponents, Dixon ran for 81 yards on 17 carries and 0 TDs in a OT loss against Kansas State. Then ran for 39 yards 0 TDs on 19 carries against a 5-7 UTEP team.

Ran for 42 yards on 16 carries against OU last season. 14 carries on 29 yards against Auburn. 13 carries on 63 yards against Illinois. I get that a lot of it has to do with their line, but most good running backs find a way to break a few good runs off and have solid games at least a few good teams they play. He struggled to get going against most of the quality competition, so can we really say we missed on him compared to what we had? Collins is rated higher than him, and JWill would have been had he stayed healthy. Maybe we don't get 1 of those 2 if we have Dixon, but Dixon probably doesn't play much if any at Arkansas if everything was the same with just the addition of Dixon.

First, Dixon and Collins were not in the same class. Dixon is a senior. Secondly, you can find games where Power 5 Conference backs had ineffective games running the ball.  Fournett, and our own Alex Collins had games this season were they didn't get many rushing yards.  Collins:  against Toledo was 20 carries for 54 yards; Alabama was 12 for 26, and was 19 for 53 against Miss State. 

Dixon is in top 5 on most of the draft boards for running backs.  I have seen were he is expected to be the third back taken.   We missed on Dixon. I would suggest that you check him out on YouTube.

ricepig

Quote from: Temprees on January 27, 2016, 09:44:41 am
First, Dixon and Collins were not in the same class. Dixon is a senior. Secondly, you can find games where Power 5 Conference backs had ineffective games running the ball.  Fournett, and our own Alex Collins had games this season were they didn't get many rushing yards.  Collins:  against Toledo was 20 carries for 54 yards; Alabama was 12 for 26, and was 19 for 53 against Miss State. 

Dixon is in top 5 on most of the draft boards for running backs.  I have seen were he is expected to be the third back taken.   We missed on Dixon. I would suggest that you check him out on YouTube.

Kids are missed every season, both in offering and not offering. It's not an exact science, now is it?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IronHog on January 26, 2016, 06:20:30 pm

So you're saying that with the exception of not having elite players at two position we would have been in the mix? Sorry I'm not buying that. While we certainly might have been wanting for some additional top notch players, it wasn't just TWO areas that were lacking. Overall defense was short of talent/effective play. Overall QUALITY depth at LB has been a chronic problem for quite some time and the defensive secondary play has been erratic for most of the past few seasons as well.

wildturkey8

Quote from: JaketheSnake on January 27, 2016, 09:37:20 am
Look at the 2010 class on 247.  What an awful class as a whole. We had some good players from that class, but the amount of misses was huge.
That class was the weak link of the last 5 years.

scruf

Petrino was never going to have an elite LT due to his insistence at flipping the tackles. Really stupid idea that results in lots of sacks and penalties.

IronHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 27, 2016, 10:33:28 am
So you're saying that with the exception of not having elite players at two position we would have been in the mix? Sorry I'm not buying that. While we certainly might have been wanting for some additional top notch players, it wasn't just TWO areas that were lacking. Overall defense was short of talent/effective play. Overall QUALITY depth at LB has been a chronic problem for quite some time and the defensive secondary play has been erratic for most of the past few seasons as well.

Arkansas was as good as Auburn the year they won the NC.

Yea, a couple players woulda made the difference......and some ref help.

IronHog

Dixon is as good or better than any current Hog back.

He'd have played from day one.

Peter Porker

Dixon didn't have the OL Arkansas has had.a
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jry04

Quote from: IronHog on January 27, 2016, 12:59:07 pm

Dixon is as good or better than any current Hog back.

He'd have played from day one.
Agree to disagree. He played a horrible schedule, but had 8 games without 100 yards last season, and 6 this season. I understand quality of offensive line matters, but that doesn't explain his 2.1 YPC average against 5-7 UTEP, or 2.7 against 4-8 Louisiana Lafayette. 8 carries for -4 yards against Southern Miss. I would have loved to have him in an Arkansas uniform, but to say he would have been as good as a healthy JWill or AC is a little unrealistic. Those two were considered well above Dixon going into this season, and AC only improved his stock.

The NewEra

jry04

January 27, 2016, 01:28:37 pm #40 Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:43:33 pm by jry04
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 27, 2016, 01:14:53 pm
Dixon didn't have the OL Arkansas has had.a
I know he didn't, but LT was one of the best teams in that conference the last two years. They were the conference champ last year, and won 9 games this season. Their line wasn't as good as ours, but it was much better than the Dline of UTEP and ULL that gave him problems. Quality running backs from smaller schools are able to make plays on better competition all around the country. Dixon failed to do it in 5 chances over the last 2 years. He is a quality back, but if he is as good as AC and JWill, then he would have been able to do something against teams like Illinois and KST with his line.

Look at Tyler Ervin at San Jose State. That guy is a beast, and was very underrated. Their team went 5-7, but he ran for 160 yards on a superior Auburn team. Surely the talent gap in 5-7 SJSU and Auburn is equal or greater than that of LT and Kansas State, LT and UTEP, LT and ULL, LT and Illinois, etc...

I get everyone has bad games, lines have bad games, etc. However, for as much talk about Dixon being equal or better to our RBs, he sure failed to dominate his conference like AC dominated the SEC.

hoggusamoungus

We'll never know how he would have panned out but I doubt the W-L record would have been any better with him on the hill.   Geez, we went 15-11 the last two years with a guy who is the second all-time leading rusher in school history and one of only three SEC backs to have 1,000 yards in their first three years.  I can't see Dixon matching those numbers or moving the W-L needle.

jry04

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 27, 2016, 01:32:36 pm
We'll never know how he would have panned out but I doubt the W-L record would have been any better with him on the hill.   Geez, we went 15-11 the last two years with a guy who is the second all-time leading rusher in school history and one of only three SEC backs to have 1,000 yards in their first three years.  I can't see Dixon matching those numbers or moving the W-L needle.
Exactly. I see fans on social media saying we are missing out on Crockett like we missed out on Dixon. Dixon is a fine player, but we sent our last starting RB to the NFL, and will send AC and JWill there too, with AC currently being graded higher, and JWill being graded higher prior to his injury. Dixon likely wouldn't have made a difference.

IronHog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 27, 2016, 01:32:36 pm

Collins got carries that should have gone other places his first two to get those stats IMO

Mostly to Dixon and Korliss Marshall

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: IronHog on January 27, 2016, 02:29:38 pm

Collins got carries that should have gone other places his first two to get those stats IMO

He got carries that should have gone other places his first two years?  Guess you forgot about the 361 (150 and 211) carries JWill had those years.

factchecker

Quote from: IronHog on January 27, 2016, 02:29:38 pm

Dixon might have done well here but Petrino didn't think so.  Marshall sealed his own fate.  Kid had all the talent in the world but couldn't get the off-field stuff sorted out.  I don't think he had one carry this past season at Eastern Illinois.  Collins was the man the past three years.  You don't have to be Arkansas-bred to be loved here in Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hei5manhog

Quote from: factchecker on January 27, 2016, 04:15:06 pm
Dixon might have done well here but Petrino didn't think so.  Marshall sealed his own fate.  Kid had all the talent in the world but couldn't get the off-field stuff sorted out.  I don't think he had one carry this past season at Eastern Illinois.  Collins was the man the past three years.  You don't have to be Arkansas-bred to be loved here in Arkansas.

Is that true? I assumed he had to sit out a year...what's the deal? He's obviously talented enough to play...more off field stuff?
Edit:
http://www.eiupanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4644&path=football
says he took a redshirt year
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 27, 2016, 08:18:21 am
How do you know anyone on another message board is complaining about Bielema not getting Dixon, when you can't read their post?

EVERY pay board has a free board or a partial free board.  They allow you to read non-member information but you have to pay to post.  Some are more active than others but there is usually some information there.  247 used to be the best site to get information.  I appreciate the work that Otis does and Natasha did a great job taking in-game and practice pictures.  It's hard to go there now due to the constant bickering from a few posters.  Every thread derails into a cat-fight.  Not to mention the abortion that is catch the wave, filipino-hog/ag.... one in the same.

You don't have to believe that someone said Dixon was a miss by Bielema. Trust me, our fanbase has its share of the uninformed who love to demonstrate vulgar displays of ignorance.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: hei5manhog on January 27, 2016, 04:19:32 pm
Is that true? I assumed he had to sit out a year...what's the deal? He's obviously talented enough to play...more off field stuff?
Edit:
http://www.eiupanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4644&path=football
says he took a redshirt year

Thanks for that information.  I would check ESPN for his stats throughout the year and I wondered why he never got a carry.  You normally don't have to redshirt when you go down from FBS to FCS.  Maybe someone close to the situation can keep us updated.  I'm glad that he is playing for a staff with Arkansas connections.  The head coach is a former Razorback, Kim Dameron.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RazorPiggie

Can we move this to general sports?