Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Recruiting

Started by parallaxpig, February 12, 2018, 04:35:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

I'm pumped about possibilities of our future recruiting classes. It will be fun to see what transpires for our 2019 class.  Not to mention we do have one of our better in state classes........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

elviscat

We have hired the best coach for our program to compete in Texas, he has world class high school coaches on his staff and do they know Texas. This is what has been missing from our recruiting perspective. We lost big time with BB and his staff. Jerry Jones, knew what he was doing when he went after Chad Morris, give him a couple years and we will compete with the other SEC West school. I think we have hired the next Frank Broyles.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: elviscat on February 12, 2018, 06:42:01 pm
We have hired the best coach for our program to compete in Texas, he has world class high school coaches on his staff and do they know Texas. This is what has been missing from our recruiting perspective. We lost big time with BB and his staff. Jerry Jones, knew what he was doing when he went after Chad Morris, give him a couple years and we will compete with the other SEC West school. I think we have hired the next Frank Broyles.
I think we give to much credit to everyone other than Morris. He really wanted this job. He said he could have had Tennessee, Ole Miss or MSU, but wanted Arkansas because of the similarities to Clemson. I don't take that as coach speak either. Furthermore, arguing against that point by Razorback fans only helps people recruiting against us in the future.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Dan42AR

Quote from: elviscat on February 12, 2018, 06:42:01 pm

You very well could be right. I am liking the hire more all the time but I want to see on the field results before saying he is one of the greats in coaching.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Dan42AR on February 12, 2018, 09:22:17 pm
You very well could be right. I am liking the hire more all the time but I want to see on the field results before saying he is one of the greats in coaching.

That's a reasonable position and one I for one can agree with. I'm not going to jump to conclusions one way or the other. Because of the delay in the hiring while waiting for you-know-who to make up his mind, etc. I don't think reasonable Hog fans expected a much higher recruiting ranking than what we had.

Most of any success in 2018 depends on players who already form the nucleus of the team. Getting buy in from them is the most critical thing. From what I hear and read, that is happening. I read somewhere that Cole Kelley has already lost 20 lbs, that takes some dedication.

For those who think the O line is all going to be 280 pounders, in the signing day interviews, Coach Fry said he wanted to see Gatlin, already listed at 300, to gain 15-20 lbs..

The biggest adjustment is not going to be the different lifts and ways of working out, it is going to be all the RUNNING that is required. I don't know if the previous regime paid much attention at all to running and cardio. It sure didn't seem like it in the games, 4th quarters in particular.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

RockyMtnHog

We need a minimum of 5-10 players from Texas every recruiting class.  If we get that number, we will compete in the SEC West.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Warrior Way 22

I really like what Morris brings to the table recruiting wise. Kids on the offensive side of the ball love to run the system he runs...that in itself will help when recruiting skill players. Couple that with the relationships he has built with high school coaches and I really do see some successful classes down the road.
Now as far as the on-field product, that remains to be seen. But you gotta love the staff he's surrounded himself with. Ready to see what he can do with what I truly believe to be a lot of unused talent.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

Tusks

I'd like to see 10 players from the texas top 250.  do that for 3 years and i think the hogs would have a roster worthy of moving up the SEC ladder.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

island hog

Would love to have a greater Hog presence in the Houston area.  Having Morris interviewed regularly on Houston sports  radio would do wonders... listening to ut, aggie and LSU all the time is no bueno.  You could field a championship team recruiting about four districts down here alone. 

rljjr

I think we got some immediate impact players in this 2018 class overall and have generated some buzz with 2019 recruits in Texas. With the in-state recruits looking salty and reasonably deep next year's class could be really good if we land the top ones.

If we win 6-9 games -- and win some key games (A&M, LSU) we'll be on the upswing with no reason to think that number wouldn't go up the next year.

There is reason for optimism.

colbs

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 12, 2018, 07:23:51 pm
I think we give to much credit to everyone other than Morris. He really wanted this job. He said he could have had Tennessee, Ole Miss or MSU, but wanted Arkansas because of the similarities to Clemson. I don't take that as coach speak either. Furthermore, arguing against that point by Razorback fans only helps people recruiting against us in the future.
When did he say this?

elviscat

Guys! It's about relationship. When you know the coaches in the state and they know you. The foundation is built. Before, we didn't have those relationship and now watch us compete to get those great athletes. Our program will go up and we can cherry pick Louisanna, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida and the rest to build a great base.

Tusk, when did Morris make a statement that he could have had the OM, MSU OR TENN HC jobs if he wanted either of those.  First I have heard of that and somehow I doubt he said that.  He seems humble to me even if that was true which I also doubt.

And Elviscat, did you really want to say CHERRY PICK, Ala, OK, LA and FLA.  Get a grip.  This crap is getting out of hand.  Remember, Bret was the best hire ever and his staff was the best ever assembled at Arkansas and maybe ever anywhere in football, period.  Remember that crap offered up by fool after fool on here.  I would offer there is not a single coach, period, that could cherry pick those 4 states for a football team.

parallaxpig

Quote from: elviscat on February 14, 2018, 06:17:18 pm
Guys! It's about relationship. When you know the coaches in the state and they know you. The foundation is built. Before, we didn't have those relationship and now watch us compete to get those great athletes. Our program will go up and we can cherry pick Louisanna, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida and the rest to build a great base.

It also helps when your head coach doesn't speak at Texas High School coaches meeting and tells them spread football isn't real football.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Sportsguy

Quote from: elviscat on February 14, 2018, 06:17:18 pm

When you say "cherry pick" do you mean beat the flagship schools of Bama, Florida, LSU and OU for kids? Come on now. We need to beat out the OSU, TCU, Mizzou's of the world and make St. Louis/KC, West Tenn/Memphis, North Louisiana, OKC/Tulsa, East Texas and DFW are main recruiting areas.

I don't expect us to beat out OU, Texas or LSU in any of those areas. But if you beat out the OSU, Tech, TCU, Kstate and Mizzou's of the world you are gonna win a ton of games. I know OU has solid hold of St Louis/KC and DFW. They can't get them all and the hogs need to beat out the others for the other top talents there. Then you win a ton of games and get the ears of the guys looking to go to OU, Texas, Bama and LSU. I think Morris can get the hogs there. I really do! WPS!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2018, 07:01:11 pm
Tusk, when did Morris make a statement that he could have had the OM, MSU OR TENN HC jobs if he wanted either of those.  First I have heard of that and somehow I doubt he said that.  He seems humble to me even if that was true which I also doubt.

And Elviscat, did you really want to say CHERRY PICK, Ala, OK, LA and FLA.  Get a grip.  This crap is getting out of hand.  Remember, Bret was the best hire ever and his staff was the best ever assembled at Arkansas and maybe ever anywhere in football, period.  Remember that crap offered up by fool after fool on here.  I would offer there is not a single coach, period, that could cherry pick those 4 states for a football team.
Dude I missed your post until now, and I forgot how to find where I heard it. It was in a TV interview segment somone placed on one of our threads, and He did state what I quoted...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.