Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DC and O-Line coach

Started by redleg, October 24, 2016, 03:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

I think it is time to replace Robb Smith with Paul Rhoads as defensive coordinator, and find a better O-Line coach, because it seems neither is cutting the mustard.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

onebadrubi

Slimac4

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 03:19:14 pm
Why Paul Rhoads? Just asking...

Because every other 'hogville' expert said so. Smh.... :razorback:

PorkSoda

as if paul rhoads doesn't already have input on the defensive game plan?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogman99

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 24, 2016, 03:23:32 pm

input and authority are 2 very different things.

Atlhogfan1

I would have understood switching Rhoads and Smith's responsibilities.  Let Rhoads devise the game plans this last month and prepare the D as an audition for the job.  Plus it is good to have a different voice.  There is a difference in hearing from a position coach and the DC.  Also a different perspective for Rhoads.  Would be perhaps beneficial to Bielema too to get Rhoads opinion from a DC's perspective.

OLine - No.  Fro and Raulerson are personnel issues. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 24, 2016, 03:23:32 pm

Well if you go off that only then I would be in support.  We have seen for the first time since I can remember CB's playing at the line of scrimmage and not getting abused deep.  We are seeing heads turn and playing the ball. 

I'm just curious what Paul Rhoads resume shows us as to why he would be better than Robb Smith.  I want someone who has shown to coach and elevate the talent he has.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings either if they were known to be aggressive.  If a school is going to put up 50 on us, I at least want some LB'ers and corners blitzing planting the QB when we are beat deep or something!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 03:27:06 pm
I would have understood switching Rhoads and Smith's responsibilities.  Let Rhoads devise the game plans this last month and prepare the D as an audition for the job.  Plus it is good to have a different voice.  There is a difference in hearing from a position coach and the DC.  Also a different perspective for Rhoads.  Would be perhaps beneficial to Bielema too to get Rhoads opinion from a DC's perspective.

OLine - No.  Fro and Raulerson are personnel issues.

You can't do that from a structure stand point with the team.  Would not look good.  If anything Bielema will have to either take those opinions from Rhoads behind close doors to publicly come out and cut Smith and put an interim tag on Rhoads. 

A quick glance into Rhoads and I'm not a supporter of him running our D. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 03:27:19 pm
Well if you go off that only then I would be in support.  We have seen for the first time since I can remember CB's playing at the line of scrimmage and not getting abused deep.  We are seeing heads turn and playing the ball. 

I'm just curious what Paul Rhoads resume shows us as to why he would be better than Robb Smith.  I want someone who has shown to coach and elevate the talent he has.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings either if they were known to be aggressive.  If a school is going to put up 50 on us, I at least want some LB'ers and corners blitzing planting the QB when we are beat deep or something!
yeah, I kept looking for some sign of life, but there wasn't much.  Only thing I can do is chalk it up to is a bad day.  we all knew going in that there would be some ups and downs this year.  that success would be inconsistent.  I just hope we bounce back after the bye.  there is still a lot to play for.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 03:31:23 pm
You can't do that from a structure stand point with the team.  Would not look good.  If anything Bielema will have to either take those opinions from Rhoads behind close doors to publicly come out and cut Smith and put an interim tag on Rhoads. 

yeah, this is not the time to be fracturing the coaching staff.  BB needs to get the team and the staff together on the same page and moving forward.  this is where he earns his paycheck and puts himself in position for SEC coach of the year.  if he wins 8-9 this year he should be in the mix.  This team has had obvious problems since the beginning of the year.  overcoming those problems is a sign of a good coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 03:31:23 pm

Look good?  They just gave up 56 pts and 500+ yards rushing.  This isn't youth football.  These kids have to know their performances affect not only themselves.  Or are you talking about from an asst coaches perspective?

Rhoads did solid work at Pitt, ok for a not so good AU team.  He experimented at ISU in trying to figure out how to slow the Big12 offenses and it didn't work/. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cambridge Hog

How many people opened this thread hoping it was news of an official announcement?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 24, 2016, 03:36:13 pm
yeah, this is not the time to be fracturing the coaching staff.  BB needs to get the team and the staff together on the same page and moving forward.  this is where he earns his paycheck and puts himself in position for SEC coach of the year.  if he wins 8-9 this year he should be in the mix.  This team has had obvious problems since the beginning of the year.  overcoming those problems is a sign of a good coach.

Why do you assume the staff would be fractured?  The defense just had a monumentally poor performance after some not so great ones the last season and a half.  These are professional men.  Are you saying Smith is so close to one of the other staff members that they will start mailing it in? 

buldozer

After this debacle either the O line coach or the DC (or both) should be fired to:

a) Set an example for the remaining assistants that mediocrity will not be tolerated
b) Open the door for replacement coach recruitment
c) Send a message to the team that the head coach cares

The head coach should step in to fill the void for the balance of the year if one coach is fired, if two are fired, PR can fill in on the defensive side

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: buldozer on October 24, 2016, 03:40:07 pm
After this debacle either the O line coach or the DC (or both) should be fired to:

a) Set an example for the remaining assistants that mediocrity will not be tolerated

The head coach should step in to fill the void for the balance of the year if one coach is fired, if two are fired, PR can fill in on the defensive side

I think a question is how much of the defense right now is Bielema?  I've been guilty of it especially questioning Segrest.  But how much is the  performance of the defense, the alignments, the way our Dline plays, etc on Bielema?  Is he too much of a part of what we are doing on defense?  Or not enough given his coaching background before he became a HC? 

HF#1

Why do you want to fire Anderson? He's been here for 8 games. He can only do so much with the guys he is given. We have a dude from Denmark, who is supposed to be a defensive lineman, STARTING, on our offensive line. That should have been the first sign it was going to be a bad year for those positions. Denver Kirkland left two years before he should have. Bielema hasn't recruited the way he should have. None of that is Anderson's fault.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

A few of you who have enjoyed piling on will love this, the ATL talk radio shows today have talked about how it looked like our defense quit when mentioning our game.  If you want to bring up how a mid season staff change would look bad, it already looks like darn.  The second half of OM game is the only time this D has done a good job in any SEC game this season.  A&M game was a disaster against their running game. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 03:39:41 pm
Why do you assume the staff would be fractured?  The defense just had a monumentally poor performance after some not so great ones the last season and a half.  These are professional men.  Are you saying Smith is so close to one of the other staff members that they will start mailing it in? 
my point is not that they are fractured, my point is that if we start firing people mid season they will be fractured.  BB's job is to keep everyone on the same page and to get them to rally, not to point fingers and stir up drama.  for the record, I think he will get this team moving back in a positive direction.

PorkSoda

Quote from: buldozer on October 24, 2016, 03:40:07 pm

talk about a knee jerk reaction. geez

Kevin

if an o lineman pulls stands in the hole and hits no one, I want that guy on the bench for a while. if your not getting the job done, play someone else. tired of hearing how some back up is doing great in practice and deserves time, then the game comes, the guy in front of him is playing piss poor, and is never given a look.

I am not sure if Anderson can coach or recruit only 8 months in, but smith has had the time, he has to go.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 03:37:47 pm
Look good?  They just gave up 56 pts and 500+ yards rushing.  This isn't youth football.  These kids have to know their performances affect not only themselves.  Or are you talking about from an asst coaches perspective?

Rhoads did solid work at Pitt, ok for a not so good AU team.  He experimented at ISU in trying to figure out how to slow the Big12 offenses and it didn't work/.

I meant from all angles.  You will lose some kids doing that, their attention and effort.  While I understand what you are saying by their performances, you can't just go in and undermine Smith while retaining him, that's like trying not to fire him because you like him.  It walks a fine line and just never ends well.  Also from future assistant coaches looking at jobs under Bielema or even the current ones, it's just not a good way to handle it.  Now firing him after it, everyone in the profession would see that as cutting ties because it wasn't working and really no harm no foul except for U of A check book and Robb Smith himself.  You either got to cut the ties al together or let him do his job, if he is doing his job and the head coach steps in a little more than that should be fine too. 

I wasn't happy with what Rhoads did at Auburn.  He let power run teams line up and just beat him.  He let spread attacks light him up while at Iowa st.  Could he have addapted and changed?  Very likely, also while at Iowa st you  have consider he was  HC and not just a DC, which I believe he made comments on already before about the much larger job role got to him.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HF#1 on October 24, 2016, 03:50:08 pm
Why do you want to fire Anderson? He's been here for 8 games. He can only do so much with the guys he is given. We have a dude from Denmark, who is supposed to be a defensive lineman, STARTING, on our offensive line. That should have been the first sign it was going to be a bad year for those positions. Denver Kirkland left two years before he should have. Bielema hasn't recruited the way he should have. None of that is Anderson's fault.

DK left one year early.  Only player to leave with two on the books was Philon that I remember.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 24, 2016, 03:55:32 pm
my point is not that they are fractured, my point is that if we start firing people mid season they will be fractured.  BB's job is to keep everyone on the same page and to get them to rally, not to point fingers and stir up drama.  for the record, I think he will get this team moving back in a positive direction.

Not necessarily firing, but if you are start letting position coaches overrule the DC.  Which is what I was saying earlier.  You can't do that, either have to sever the tie or let it ride till end of season.

HF#1

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 04:05:27 pm
DK left one year early.  Only player to leave with two on the books was Philon that I remember.

I mean from a development standpoint, he wasn't ready.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on October 24, 2016, 03:58:25 pm
if an o lineman pulls stands in the hole and hits no one, I want that guy on the bench for a while. if your not getting the job done, play someone else. tired of hearing how some back up is doing great in practice and deserves time, then the game comes, the guy in front of him is playing piss poor, and is never given a look.

I am not sure if Anderson can coach or recruit only 8 months in, but smith has had the time, he has to go.

Yeah, that raulerson deal just stunk to me on saturday.  THat was a WTH moment and he should be called out on it.  Sadly if he did what appeared to be his job, which was get to the second level as a pulling guard, we had the FD.  Not that one first down was going to change that game.

rickfahr

If LSU doesn't keep Orgeron, I'd love to see him as our next DC, if for no other reason than he should be able to help us pull a few of those 5*s out of the land to our south.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HF#1 on October 24, 2016, 04:07:28 pm
I mean from a development standpoint, he wasn't ready.

Oh I agree, DK was a stud in the making at guard in my opinion.  They feel victim to Sam Pittman only recruiting guard bodies and no OT.  Even skip is much more of a dominating rode grading guard than a tackle.

MCheisman

Big Kurt needs to go. He is just a beer drinking buddy for BB.

onebadrubi

Quote from: rickfahr on October 24, 2016, 04:09:18 pm
If LSU doesn't keep Orgeron, I'd love to see him as our next DC, if for no other reason than he should be able to help us pull a few of those 5*s out of the land to our south.

You'd have this entire forum loving Brett Bielema if that happened!!!  The recruiting guys would just salivate on their keyboards till they didn't work anymore.

onebadrubi

Quote from: MCheisman on October 24, 2016, 04:10:11 pm
Big Kurt needs to go. He is just a beer drinking buddy for BB.

Look, the peanut gallery chimed in. 

Youngsta71701

I would rather try to get Randy Shannon to come back and be the DC. We already know he's a proven top notch DC and recruiter.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 24, 2016, 04:13:18 pm
I would rather try to get Randy Shannon to come back and be the DC. We already know he's a proven top notch DC and recruiter.

No thanks, that bridge is burned i believe

Kevin

most of Shannon's recruits washed out here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HyperDrive

Paul Rhoads is an excellent defensive coordinator.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Kevin

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 24, 2016, 04:20:03 pm
He wasn't the DC.

what does that have to do with who he recruited

he did not just recruit linebackers

onebadrubi

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 24, 2016, 04:19:55 pm
Paul Rhoads is an excellent defensive coordinator.

Oh ok, good enough for me.  Thanks for the factual response with evidence or any proof.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 04:03:46 pm
I meant from all angles.  You will lose some kids doing that, their attention and effort.  While I understand what you are saying by their performances, you can't just go in and undermine Smith while retaining him, that's like trying not to fire him because you like him.  It walks a fine line and just never ends well.  Also from future assistant coaches looking at jobs under Bielema or even the current ones, it's just not a good way to handle it.  Now firing him after it, everyone in the profession would see that as cutting ties because it wasn't working and really no harm no foul except for U of A check book and Robb Smith himself.  You either got to cut the ties al together or let him do his job, if he is doing his job and the head coach steps in a little more than that should be fine too. 

I wasn't happy with what Rhoads did at Auburn.  He let power run teams line up and just beat him.  He let spread attacks light him up while at Iowa st.  Could he have addapted and changed?  Very likely, also while at Iowa st you  have consider he was  HC and not just a DC, which I believe he made comments on already before about the much larger job role got to him.

It is more "not operating with a short staff with 4 games left".   It isn't unprecedented to do. 

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 03:50:03 pm
I think a question is how much of the defense right now is Bielema?  I've been guilty of it especially questioning Segrest.  But how much is the  performance of the defense, the alignments, the way our Dline plays, etc on Bielema?  Is he too much of a part of what we are doing on defense?  Or not enough given his coaching background before he became a HC?
A couple days ago I posted that during the CBB show reviewing the Ole Miss game they get to the 3rd and 3 late in the 4th quarter and Chuck asks "coach what were your thoughts here" and CBB stated "Robb said coach...I really think we should blitz here". That tells me that Robb is running what CBB wants him to.

Now nobody here is privy to the inner workings of this staff so nobody can say one way or another but to me that was a little telling. It's either Robb working under the framework of CBB which includes not being aggressive so he is asking for permission to blitz OR Smith really didn't know what to do in that situation.

I think we all know that CBB has a hand in the defense. I think we can all agree that Robb is running what CBB wants him to and that's ok. A lot of coaching is that way. Sometimes a coach will get out of the way and allow his coordinators run what they want with the ability to overrule them on occasion.

Whatever the case is here its obviously not working whether Robb is totally in charge or he is running what CBB wants him to.

I guess what I am saying is it may not all be on Robb and right now we just don't know. I think its a lot like when Robinson coached under CBP.

HyperDrive

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 04:21:45 pm
Oh ok, good enough for me.  Thanks for the factual response with evidence or any proof.

Sorry, didn't realize your Google was broken.

He's been successful everywhere he's been.  Even 2008 Auburn was a good defense, though because the offense was such a mess under Tony Franklin then the two headed interim monster, the stats won't show it.  He teaches good fundamentals on tackling.  From Wikipedia:

Pittsburgh
In 2000, Rhoads was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers by Walt Harris. In his first season, Rhoads was credited with improving the team's defense to their best performance since 1980. In 2001, his defensive unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks. In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked among the nation's top 25 in an impressive seven different categories. In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions and Rhoads was kept on staff by new head coach Dave Wannstedt. That decision proved wise as by then end of the 2005 season, Pitt was ranked second nationally in pass defense (yielding just 152.82 yards per game) and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating. In 2006, Sporting News named Rhoads the Big East's best defensive coordinator. In 2007, Rhoads' defense was among the nation's leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense (allowing just 297.7 yards per games) and third nationally in pass defense (allowing just 167.3 yards per game). While the team finished 5–7, they ended on a high note by holding then-#2 ranked rival West Virginia to a season-low nine points in a 13–9 victory in the Backyard Brawl, limiting the Mountaineers high-powered offense to 183 yards (292 yards below their average).

Auburn
In 2002, coach Tommy Tuberville offered Rhoads a job to fill a vacant spot for defensive coordinator at Auburn. Having completed only his second season at Pitt, Rhoads passed on the job with Tuberville eventually hiring Gene Chizik. However, when Will Muschamp resigned at the conclusion of the 2007 season, coach Tuberville again offered the job with Rhoads accepting to head the 2008 Tigers defense on January 17, 2008. As head of Auburn's defense, Rhoads also coached defensive backs, as did the Tigers' last four defensive coordinators.

While the 2008 Auburn defense started exceptionally (ranking in the top25 nationally in 6 defensive categories after week 6, including the 2nd ranked scoring defense), the Tigers struggled down the stretch finishing 5–7. The highly touted defense fell to an overall defensive ranking of 27th out of 119 Division I FBS squads, but did finish 10th in yards per play and 15th in scoring.

tophawg19

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 04:23:06 pm
It is more "not operating with a short staff with 4 games left".   It isn't unprecedented to do. 
staff wouldn't be short if yo move up one of the GA's
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 24, 2016, 09:36:53 pm
staff wouldn't be short if yo move up one of the GA's

Well I'm not suggesting fire now.  Reassign and allow Rhoads a chance to do the def gameplan.  He has to be somewhat familiar by now with the personnel. 

This should be a recruiting week for the coaches.  Some better be studying A LOT of film to get this fixed. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redleg on October 24, 2016, 03:17:05 pm
I think it is time to replace Robb Smith with Paul Rhoads as defensive coordinator, and find a better O-Line coach, because it seems neither is cutting the mustard.
:razorback:

Wow. I can't believe someone hasn't said that before...........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

I just don't understand how the Oline problems can be put at the feet of Anderson.
He's not the reason we're having to start a converted defensive lineman and a grad transfer from Texas.
The Oline problems are caused by those before him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoglady on October 24, 2016, 10:33:42 pm
I just don't understand how the Oline problems can be put at the feet of Anderson.
He's not the reason we're having to start a converted defensive lineman and a grad transfer from Texas.
The Oline problems are caused by those before him.

Could ask him this week to coach a pulling guard that he must not stop in the middle of the hole blocking his own running back from going through an5-6 ft wife clean hole???

Murr

Florida don't want nun of Paul M.F.N. Rhoads.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Murr on October 25, 2016, 12:46:34 am
Florida don't want nun of Paul M.F.N. Rhoads.

I feel like I'm missing something here?

GoHogs1091

Kurt Anderson should probably not be replaced.  It is not Anderson's fault that Bielema's Offensive Linemen recruiting has been for the most part sub-par.

There needs to be a change at Defensive Coordinator.  The following would be good options.

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1065&path=football

Need to contact the following to see if he is tired of being a Head Coach, and to see if he is wanting to get back into the SEC.

From his Bio.

"Steckel brings 34 years of coaching experience into the 2016 season, including 14 seasons at Mizzou, in which he helped transform the Tigers defense into one of the strongest units in the nation. He was the only defensive coach among the five finalists for the 2014 Frank Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach. He helped produce a total of 15 all-conference linebacker selections at MU, including a number of players who have forged professional careers in the National Football League."

"Under Steckel's tutelage, Missouri's defense was a driving force in the Tigers' back-to-back Southeastern Conference East Division titles in 2013 and 2014. MU led the SEC and ranked 10th nationally in sacks per game in 2014. The Tiger defense finished first or second in every major statistical category in SEC play last fall en route to propelling Mizzou to its fifth conference divisional championship in eight seasons."

"MU also ranked 23rd in the country in total defense and 19th in scoring defense in 2014, while the Tigers led the SEC in total defense (300.8 yds/game)."

"In 2013, the MU defense was fifth nationally in interceptions (20), eighth in total turnovers forced (32), and an SEC-best 2.93 sacks per game. This boosted the Tigers to a 12-win season and a Cotton Bowl victory over Oklahoma State."

http://missouristatebears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=238&path=football

There needs to be a change at Defensive Line Coach.  The following would be good options.

The following DL Coach's Toledo DL worked our OL last season.

http://www.cyclones.com/coaches.aspx?rc=898&path=football

If we can get Steckel to be our DC, then need to contact the following to see if he would like to join back up with Steckel.

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=210637188

LZH

Good post 1091. You made a recommendation, provided links, and showed an informed opinion. If you could ever hold your tongue on Venables now and then, you actually have something to say.

Hawghiggs

I would rather hire Levitt as our Headcoach. At least he has actually built a program.