Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talk about our defensive ends.

Started by Piggfoot, October 24, 2016, 01:46:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

What's happened with them. They go or are blocked to the inside continually. I think they're trying to get a sack but among other things it's killing us.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

kodiakisland

Is it lack of ability or coaching?  Watch this replay of Auburns first play.  Watch Wise on the end.  Arguably our best DE.  He is not blocked at all.  They didn't even waste time trying to block him.  They knew they could run right past him without worrying about him.  This play was hand picked for an initial homerun.  They did their homework well.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HawgHeadCheese

I'm not sure why everyone thought our DE play was so good coming into this season. Most of Deatrich Wise sacks last year came against 3 teams and were coverage sacks, JaMichael Winston hasn't made a play since he got to Arkansas, and Tevin Beanum can't get disengage a blocker to save his life. Ledbetter and Agim are the only guys on our Dline who has impressed me at all this year.

zebradynasty

I think you are right. Auburn done their homework. Wise has come up field too hard all season. I am wondering if that is what he has been taught to do because every time I've seen him do it there doesn't seem to be any effort to correct him.

Piggfoot

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 24, 2016, 01:50:42 pm
Is it lack of ability or coaching?  Watch this replay of Auburns first play.  Watch Wise on the end.  Arguably our best DE.  He is not blocked at all.  They didn't even waste time trying to block him.  They knew they could run right past him without worrying about him.  This play was hand picked for an initial homerun.  They did their homework well.

Goodness gracious that's what I'm talking about. Maybe the coaches have given up on some of the players and are just trying to squeak by not wanting to burn any RS's
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

LRHawg

That play hurts. I don't know if it was a called play on our end or what, but everyone oversells on the run up the middle, and Wise easily gives up the edge and then it's two blockers vs two defensive backs for the touchdown. Just awful.

jkstock04

That's pathetic. #1 rule as d end don't let anything outside of you...turn the play back in.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

code red

That's.....well...pitiful.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

kodiakisland

What really bugs me about that play is Auburn knew they didn't have to block Wise. You think they would run that against A&M and by design not block Myles Garrett?  The design of the play was to let the end go so they could seal off the LB.  Of course, the LBs took themselves out of the play, but leaving the end unblocked when you're running right at them?  That offensive tackle didn't even have to block anyone.  He got to take the play off.  Talk about not respecting the ends.  You know they couldn't wait to run that play.

That one play defines our defense.  Ends with no presence.  LBs taking themselves out of the play.  DBs playing arm holding on the corners.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HF#1

It seems like every year, even when Petrino was here, we are told how good our defensive line is. And every year, we are disappointed.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

onebadrubi

I'm not sure htat play is on wise.  He has a OT and a FB right there to cover him up if he doesn't go inside.  That play was designed for the wr to be at speed so he will already be getting outside of Wise. 

Something to note, why didn't the CB follow him over in motion, it appears he thought he could pass him off but the two LB'ers already had responsibilities, so we ended up with 3 DB's on that one lone WR out to the right. 

This defense has been awful with any sort of eye fake and play action all year.  it isn't going to change this year

Dominicanhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 04:28:19 pm
I'm not sure htat play is on wise.  He has a OT and a FB right there to cover him up if he doesn't go inside.  That play was designed for the wr to be at speed so he will already be getting outside of Wise. 

Something to note, why didn't the CB follow him over in motion, it appears he thought he could pass him off but the two LB'ers already had responsibilities, so we ended up with 3 DB's on that one lone WR out to the right. 

This defense has been awful with any sort of eye fake and play action all year.  it isn't going to change this year

Somebody has to set the edge.. and we had nobody within 15 yards of it, if it wasn't Wise.. looks to me as though they suckered him inside with the block down and he followed.. but nobody has really tried to run the jet sweep on us, so you could see how he could be fooled..

jm

They didn't even bother to block Wise. That is a coaching problem. Our guys aren't in the right position to cover the entire field.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 24, 2016, 04:37:08 pm
Somebody has to set the edge.. and we had nobody within 15 yards of it, if it wasn't Wise.. looks to me as though they suckered him inside with the block down and he followed.. but nobody has really tried to run the jet sweep on us, so you could see how he could be fooled..

Wise was going inside of that Tackle it appeared no matter what, then it appears he bites harder inside on the fake hand off to the RB, which was already too late anyways.  They were taking Wise out of that play by design, by theory someone has to be following the WR that gets the hand off when he motions over and no one does, his covering DB lets him go as that db gets to a LB in the formation, the LB'ers don't budge and you see a safety take one or two steps up. 

In most defense you will either see the lb'ers shuffle, a safety come down and one of the DB's from the side the motioning wr will then back up, or the covering DB will just motion all the way over with him.  I am not sure but it appears our DB's are covering sides more so than players so I believe protcol is either for a safety to come down (keep in mind at this time we are down a starting safety from suspension) or the lb'ers shift and coverage changes to zone maybe.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 24, 2016, 01:46:19 pm
What's happened with them. They go or are blocked to the inside continually. I think they're trying to get a sack but among other things it's killing us.
What are you talking about? Defensive Ends? Never heard of em. Didn't know we had those.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jgphillips3

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 25, 2016, 06:37:45 am
What are you talking about? Defensive Ends? Never heard of em. Didn't know we had those.

I think we have replaced them with Defensive Ins so as to distinguish from players who must set the edge.