Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to find a new linebacker

Started by eSECpnBias, October 24, 2016, 11:26:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

eSECpnBias

It's time to move Santos up to the Outside linebacker spot, move Liddell to Safety full time and put Greenlaw/Eugene at the Middle Linebacker spot.

jcb03005

Quote from: eSECpnBias on October 24, 2016, 11:26:59 am
It's time to move Santos up to the Outside linebacker spot, move Liddell to Safety full time and put Greenlaw/Eugene at the Middle Linebacker spot.

Ellis appears to be lost on every play.  He really has regressed from last year.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"  - Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights

PonderinHog

Quote from: jcb03005 on October 24, 2016, 12:12:43 pm
Ellis appears to be lost on every play.  He really has regressed from last year.
And Greenlaw has a broken foot.

010HogFan

um...

onebadrubi

Liddell can not be your last line of defense.  He has shown us he will not wrap up and finish a tackle at times. 

Greenlaw is a good OLB, I think he might get exposed at MLB when he comes back.  Eugene might be a good fit there.  I also would like to see Kendrick jackson get a shot back over there just because of his size, strength, and he likes to come up to the line and hit.  I think either way you cut it, our next MLB is in the freshman class this year. 

eric_mullins34

I love Ellis. He has put in so much work for this team it is unreal. But this is the SEC, you either have it or you don't. And unfortunately he has just never had it, he has never been SEC material.
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

hview

Just some thoughts:

Perhaps move Ramsey permanently to LB. He may be faster than any of the current LB's.

Since Mitchell isn't going to see playing time at RB, why not move him to Safety or LB. I think he's up to 220 and he's got the speed to cover the field. If he wants to play at the next level that maybe his best opportunity. It seems he's set on being on offense, but maybe the coaches could convince him to make the move.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hview on October 24, 2016, 12:27:40 pm
Just some thoughts:

Perhaps move Ramsey permanently to LB. He may be faster than any of the current LB's.

Since Mitchell isn't going to see playing time at RB, why not move him to Safety or LB. I think he's up to 220 and he's got the speed to cover the field. If he wants to play at the next level that maybe his best opportunity. It seems he's set on being on offense, but maybe the coaches could convince him to make the move.

If Mitchell could play defense, he would have been over there by now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 24, 2016, 12:35:11 pm
If Mitchell could play defense, he would have been over there by now.

Coaches tried to get him over there, he didn't want to do it.  It was his call.

WooPig90

Liddell is full time safety, what has he shown you that makes you think he needs to be on the field full time, if at all?

PonderinHog

Quote from: hview on October 24, 2016, 12:27:40 pm
Just some thoughts:

Moving Mitchell to safety was a great idea, three years ago.

AirWarren

Quote from: eric_mullins34 on October 24, 2016, 12:17:56 pm
I love Ellis. He has put in so much work for this team it is unreal. But this is the SEC, you either have it or you don't. And unfortunately he has just never had it, he has never been SEC material.

He isn't cut out for it though.

Piggfoot

The difference in Bielema and Saban is Saben would have found someplace else for Mitchell. He's been a waste here.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

davehog

Randy Ramsey has NFL talent skills as an OLB.

Here's what needs to happen on defense:

#1- Move Ramsey back to OLB.  He's younger and has a higher ceiling than both players getting the snaps now that Greenlaw is out for the year
#2- Move Agim back to DE.  Play as many snaps/game as he is physically capable of.
#3- Commit to playing Scoota Harris 50% of the snaps at MLB.  This will be more valuable next year than this year but MLB cannot be a development in progress next season. 

There are no answers at either S or CB.  Even if one of the currently redshirting FR is more capable it's not worth burning a year of eligibility at this point. 

Kevin

Quote from: davehog on October 24, 2016, 12:52:56 pm

#1- Move Ramsey back to OLB.  He's younger and has a higher ceiling than both players getting the snaps now that Greenlaw is out for the year
#2- Move Agim back to DE.  Play as many snaps/game as he is physically capable of.
#3- Commit to playing Scoota Harris 50% of the snaps at MLB.  This will be more valuable next year than this year but MLB cannot be a development in progress next season. 

There are no answers at either S or CB.  Even if one of the currently redshirting FR is more capable it's not worth burning a year of eligibility at this point. 

like this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hview

I guess Bell maybe. Then again, maybe he was tried at LB and it didn't work out. Just another talented player sitting on the bench.

The Boar War

theFlyingHog

You should post more often.

onebadrubi

I'm not sure if anyone on here knows if Ramsey has the speed to play OLB?  Wasn't that part of his move was he got too big?  Maybe my understand of hte difference between OLB and MLB aren't as good as yours, but from what it appears we know his size and speed are more suited for MLB?

I have no effing idea why we aren't seeing more of agim.  He single handidly ran down a auburn RB in the 4th quarter to push him out of bounds.

I like pulley at CB and think Tolliver has some skills.  Not sure I agree with there are no answers at either S or CB comment?

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 01:07:08 pm
I'm not sure if anyone on here knows if Ramsey has the speed to play OLB?  Wasn't that part of his move was he got too big?  Maybe my understand of hte difference between OLB and MLB aren't as good as yours, but from what it appears we know his size and speed are more suited for MLB?

I have no effing idea why we aren't seeing more of agim.  He single handidly ran down a auburn RB in the 4th quarter to push him out of bounds.

I like pulley at CB and think Tolliver has some skills.  Not sure I agree with there are no answers at either S or CB comment?

Ramsey doesn't look very big to me, tall and rangy, but not thick.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 01:15:09 pm
Ramsey doesn't look very big to me, tall and rangy, but not thick.

When typing that post I was thinking he was somewhere up too 250 pounds, just looked it up and on the arkansas roster he is listed at 224.  So you are probably correct.  I also thought he was recruited as  LB, but he was recruited as a weak side DE. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: farmhawg on October 24, 2016, 01:18:56 pm
That looks like the ones we have....

Nah that LB in the red pants was at least in position because the one in the blue was setting the edge.

AirWarren

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 24, 2016, 12:42:24 pm
The difference in Bielema and Saban is Saben would have found someplace else for Mitchell. He's been a waste here.

He is a myth. He isn't a talented as everyone on here thinks.

I heard all last year. Put in story. Put in story!! Story put in. Looks like a yearling in headlights.

onebadrubi

Quote from: AP85 on October 24, 2016, 01:21:38 pm
He is a myth. He isn't a talented as everyone on here thinks.

I heard all last year. Put in story. Put in story!! Story put in. Looks like a yearling in headlights.

That's also why I think Kelly will pass him up when it comes time for Austin to graduate.  We will then see the yahoo's on here pissed off that the Arkansas kid got passed up because Kelly will lose at least one game and they will come out of the wood work.

hview

Randy is 6'4" 228. I think he and Greenlaw are similar in speed. At least Randy was making some plays on Saturday.

PonderinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 01:19:55 pm
Nah that LB in the red pants was at least in position because the one in the blue was setting the edge.
They both look like they got some dog in 'em...

onebadrubi

hview

Ty has a strange throwing motion. Unless he can change, I don't seem him ever making it as a starter.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Danny J

Great post

DeltaBoy

Yes we need help really bad. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ballinhog

It's like you literally read my mind. Like I 110% agree with every single thing you just said. Only thing I would add to it is I would play Josh Harris more. Scoota and Harris split reps at middle linebacker, splitting reps 50/50 would help take pressure off one another. And Ramsey would play every snap he can handle.

Liddell should be a corner. He's nowhere near good enough in run support to play safety. I think Santos would actually be a decent safety with good enough coaching. The only other hope for safety is burn the redshirts of Edwards and Smith and see what they got.

And being that lack of effort has been one of the issues with the D, what about Reid Miller maybe playing more? I'm pretty sure he would be a lot better than Liddell in run support. And I guarantee he will give you 100% effort.

HawgHeadCheese

I saw several times where Eugene got caught in a pile when the Auburn running back bounced his run outside and Liddell has been the most overrated Razorback EVER!!!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: WooPig90 on October 24, 2016, 12:36:38 pm
Liddell is full time safety, what has he shown you that makes you think he needs to be on the field full time, if at all?
Liddell has played as well as anyone, maybe not saying much but his one of our better defenders.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

davehog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 01:07:08 pm

Pulley and Tolliver both already play a lot of snaps, thusly there is no way to reshuffle the deck in the secondary.  At S, we really only have 3 players - Liddell, Ramirez or Coley.  Shuffling either the CB or S spots won't do anything different.  Really all the CBs have been gassed at the end of the games and sub in and out a lot.  Having to burn DJ Dean's RS this year will really hurt next year.  He still doesn't look 100%. 

The intent with Ramsey was to make him a hybrid DE/LB so that the defense could toggle between 4/3 to 3/4 but that hasn't really materialized as hoped.  The result is that he's on the sideline and not on the field.  If he were moved back to OLB, then he would be on the field for significantly more snaps than he is now.  Eugene and Hackett are JRs, Ramsey is a SO so you might as well go youth movement here.  He's shown he has the speed but it may be a coverage thing as we haven't seen his level of coverage skills so far. 

The deal with Agim is intriguing.  They obviously see him more as a Philon as opposed to a Flowers, but so far neither DE spot has been able to effectively set the edge consistently.  I'm fairly sure Agim could do this better than any other current DL on the roster. 

While we are at it, what ever happened to 4*, can't miss DE recruit Jamario Bell?  I realize he's quagmired at TE with Gragg and O'Grady but given the utter non contribution from both DE spots, I don't see why throwing him out there to see if there is a glimmer of hope would be a bad thing. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

The entire front 7 has seemed to regress more and more the past couple years. Guys get hyped up during the summer, they play hard the 1st few game, look good against a couple SEC foes, then they disappear. We have way to may 4*'s in our defensive line 2 deep for them to be playing like this. The talent is there, it is the coaches job to get the most out of them!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Next season santos Ramirez and giovannin lafrance will be moved down to DE, then to DT the following season. Austin Capps will probably be starting on OL too
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 24, 2016, 01:49:48 pm
Liddell has played as well as anyone, maybe not saying much but his one of our better defenders.

I'm not sure what Razorback games you have been watching, Liddell has played terrible this year.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 24, 2016, 01:54:30 pm
I'm not sure what Razorback games you have been watching, Liddell has played terrible this year.
Liddell has been run over at the goal line at least once the past 2 games.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: eric_mullins34 on October 24, 2016, 12:17:56 pm
Been on this island for at least 2 years now, glad people are finally understanding this. Great Hog, just not an SEC player.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 24, 2016, 01:54:30 pm
Early in the year, I thought we had something here in Liddell, came to SEC time, and realized I was wrong.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 24, 2016, 01:56:12 pm
Liddell has been run over at the goal line at least once the past 2 games.

Well, that one Saturday I'm not willing to put on him. They barley slowed down the running back on the play he got trucked. It would have took Steve Atwater or Kennoy Kennedy to stop him from scoring! Or better yet a LB to at least slow him down first. Not many safeties in college football now that could take a 240lb plus RB with good speed and meet him in the hole and drive him back.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 24, 2016, 02:11:07 pm
Been on this island for at least 2 years now, glad people are finally understanding this. Great Hog, just not an SEC player.

Have you ever watched the guys that replace him when he does come out?  It isn't any better, or hasn't been.

hogcard1964

He's regressed over the last few weeks that's for sure.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 02:16:33 pm
Have you ever watched the guys that replace him when he does come out?  It isn't any better, or hasn't been.
You are right, but they don't have almost 4 years of taking all the reps in practice and in games. I can see more ability when they are in the game especially with Scoota, Ramsay, and even Hackett somewhat.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: zebradynasty on October 24, 2016, 02:15:31 pm
Well, that one Saturday I'm not willing to put on him. They barley slowed down the running back on the play he got trucked. It would have took Steve Atwater or Kennoy Kennedy to stop him from scoring! Or better yet a LB to at least slow him down first. Not many safeties in college football now that could take a 240lb plus RB with good speed and meet him in the hole and drive him back.
You are quite right, so kinda stupid for him to camp there and wait for him to bring it to him, should have been flying up and hitting him about the 4 or 5 instead of catching him at the 2.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 24, 2016, 01:43:53 pm
I saw several times where Eugene got caught in a pile when the Auburn running back bounced his run outside and Liddell has been the most overrated Razorback EVER!!!!
Liddell was a 2 star recruit. Overrated... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

zebradynasty

I am not sure what happened to Ellis but he has not been the same since TCU. Liddell may be a player that doesn't have the instincts for the position. I am confident that he has the athleticism to play in the SEC. To me he needs to bulk up his upper body (as do most of our secondary).