Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hot Seat

Started by hogcard1964, October 24, 2016, 09:20:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Athog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 09:42:04 am
You can't be surprised by him appearing on a list like this.

It will be warm going into next season.  How warm depends on if we beat MSU and Mizzou or not and how these home games end up as far as competitiveness.

I'm getting to the point with the football program to say Frank it as I did with basketball with the endless campaign for Anderson.  Finally 6 seasons in and with help from his JC connections and the state's high school basketball, Anderson's program finally looks like it may take off. 

BB leaves and tries to repair the damage to his career from taking this job.  And we get Chad Morris or The Pirate or Dykes or Holgerson and we get this HUNH thing out of the way.  Too bad Bobby doesn't have a protégé.

Terrible suggestion and suggestion. I contribute and buy season tickets and do not support this knee jerk!'

Michael_E_Davis

Why would CBB be on the hot seat?  He has continued to improve every year since he has been here.  We have a good chance this year to at least win 10 games.   For Jeff Long to put him on the hot seat would be the height of stupidity.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

jgphillips3

Even if all reasonable people know there is now way Bielema would be fired this year and less than a 25% chance after next year, it doesn't change the fact that this game has shaken faith in Bielema.  His long term future here depends on how he handles this situation and which changes he makes after the year.  He unquestionably will be our coach in 2017.  He will be again in 2018 but he's not guaranteed anything beyond that.  What he does this offseason and in 2017 will determine whether we are optimistic for 2018 or the banners fly.  This will be his defining moment.  For all our sakes, I hope he gets it right.  One thing he said on hiring coaches is that he always hires the opposite after one leaves.  Let's hope that means a guy who can scheme to our deficiencies.

Chitlins

if he isnt on the hot seat we are  far more screwed than even i thought we  were

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Athog on October 24, 2016, 12:58:08 pm

Terrible suggestion and suggestion. I contribute and buy season tickets and do not support this knee jerk!'

I agree.

You missed the point.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Chitlins on October 24, 2016, 01:17:06 pm
if he isnt on the hot seat we are  far more screwed than even i thought we  were

He's really not yet. But he could be at the end of this season.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2016, 09:52:03 am
So if he chokes away another season this year (6-7 wins) his seat won't be hot?

That's a successful season for us, now.
Go away, batin'

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Joe-T on October 24, 2016, 11:44:07 am
I think Charlie at Texas would be #1 on my list. He's gone and they just haven't announced it yet.
Charlie's the easy pick.

hogcard1964

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2016, 01:33:19 pm

LOL

Unfortunately, I think some folks actually feel that way.

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 09:42:04 am
You can't be surprised by him appearing on a list like this.

It will be warm going into next season.  How warm depends on if we beat MSU and Mizzou or not and how these home games end up as far as competitiveness.

I'm getting to the point with the football program to say Frank it as I did with basketball with the endless campaign for Anderson.  Finally 6 seasons in and with help from his JC connections and the state's high school basketball, Anderson's program finally looks like it may take off. 

BB leaves and tries to repair the damage to his career from taking this job.  And we get Chad Morris or The Pirate or Dykes or Holgerson and we get this HUNH thing out of the way.  Too bad Bobby doesn't have a protégé.
You are leaving out the fact that Anderson had a signature year.  Some may say that a second round exit is not signature but our regular season record + advancing to the second round was significant at the time. Not only that but Anderson beat Kentucky(SEC's basketball version of Alabama) several times.  CBB hasn't done anything close to that just yet.  I am honestly surprised though. When he was hired, I knew he wasn't Bobby but I thought he would have a 10 win season every three years or so. That prediction is starting to look shaky at best.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2016, 01:37:45 pm
LOL

Unfortunately, I think some folks actually feel that way.

It's the reality of the situation until big donors pull out. Otherwise, Jeff will never consider replacing him.
Go away, batin'

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on October 24, 2016, 01:44:03 pm
You are leaving out the fact that Anderson had a signature year.  Some may say that a second round exit is not signature but our regular season record + advancing to the second round was significant at the time. Not only that but Anderson beat Kentucky(SEC's basketball version of Alabama) several times.  CBB hasn't done anything close to that just yet.  I am honestly surprised though. When he was hired, I knew he wasn't Bobby but I thought he would have a 10 win season every three years or so. That prediction is starting to look shaky at best.

Didn't leave anything out.  Wasn't a signature year.  2nd round appearance in the NCAAT and failed to beat any of the top teams on the schedule - ISU blown out, UK blown out, UNC.  Record inflated by schedule.  It was a good year and he did a good job the last couple of months that season.  At least we should hope that wasn't his signature season. 

I agree on having doubts if it is going to work with BB at Arkansas.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2016, 01:33:19 pm

Sad but true! Hell, some on here seem to be okay with 6 or 7 wins every year. To each his own, I guess.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

chiefhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2016, 09:20:52 am
Doh!!!

I know, "the buyout is too high", "he needs more time", "he's recruiting good boys"...

http://coacheshotseat.com/
Plus he and Bo have a reality show. And the media loves his quotes.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 24, 2016, 02:31:00 pm
Sad but true! Hell, some on here seem to be okay with 6 or 7 wins every year. To each his own, I guess.

Hell, very few if any seem okay with it.  Why exaggerate? 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: daprospecta on October 24, 2016, 01:44:03 pm

Agree.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Youngsta71701

Kirby Smart is already on the list! Jeez...this business is cruel.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 02:33:11 pm
Hell, very few if any seem okay with it.  Why exaggerate?

Exaggerate?? I said "some" on here, and there are definitely some. Read more posts...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Joe-T on October 24, 2016, 11:44:07 am
I think Charlie at Texas would be #1 on my list. He's gone and they just haven't announced it yet 😜
So Charlie Strong has been a disaster in a weaker league, coaching better players (theoretically) and sitting on the world's most fertile college football recruiting ground.  Yeah let's do that.

I don't know how much Texas football you've watched but Strong's late game coaching decisions have been disastrous.

AugustaHog

There's still some hope to this season.  We have two more should-win games and two ranked teams at home.  If you win one of those home games and the other is respectable as well as beat Mizzou/MSU, I don't really see him being on any hot seat.  The quality of that 8-4 would be debatable as the D and OL were as bad as I have seen them in all the years I've watched the Hogs.  Still, 8-4 and a bowl is a progression.  If you lose both home games and they are close and finish the two gimmes off as expected, then the seat gets a little warm.  If we get shellacked, a la Auburn, and drop one we shouldn't, then that seats going to be pretty warm going into next season.  There's a wide range of where this thing goes, just depends on how that last four goes.  What I do know is that unless we come at this thing a different way, we aren't going to see the results we are hoping for. 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 02:36:32 pm
It's understandable... if you voice displeasure with the program on here you have a 95% chance of being called some form of irrational.  85% chance of having your intelligence called into question.

Those odds give the impression there are more than 'very few'.

You've got that right, Surf! To each his own, I guess.  :razorback:
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 02:36:32 pm
It's understandable... if you voice displeasure with the program on here you have a 95% chance of being called some form of irrational.  85% chance of having your intelligence called into question.

Those odds give the impression there are more than 'very few'.

You don't just voice your displeasure.  That would be great if it were all you did. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 24, 2016, 02:37:58 pm
So Charlie Strong has been a disaster in a weaker league, coaching better players (theoretically) and sitting on the world's most fertile college football recruiting ground.  Yeah let's do that.

I don't know how much Texas football you've watched but Strong's late game coaching decisions have been disastrous.

One of those situations where a good coach took a job at the wrong time.  He is lost there.   

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 02:24:33 pm
Didn't leave anything out.  Wasn't a signature year.  2nd round appearance in the NCAAT and failed to beat any of the top teams on the schedule - ISU blown out, UK blown out, UNC.  Record inflated by schedule.  It was a good year and he did a good job the last couple of months that season.  At least we should hope that wasn't his signature season. 

I agree on having doubts if it is going to work with BB at Arkansas.

Best Razorback basketball season in twenty years but okay I get it, not noteworthy in your eyes. Shouldn't have to knock basketball team to prop up football team but anyways, please continue.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 02:46:58 pm
One of those situations where a good coach took a job at the wrong time.  He is lost there.
Texas was/is a dumpster fire, no doubt.  But it's still the Big 12 and he still has Texas quality talent.  His late decisions have been weird and the team just hasn't responded to him.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 24, 2016, 02:55:43 pm
Texas was/is a dumpster fire, no doubt.  But it's still the Big 12 and he still has Texas quality talent.  His late decisions have been weird and the team just hasn't responded to him.

He doesn't know what to do right now. 

The Texas talent is a disaster.  Mack started recruiting to the Baylor/TT/TCU/Houston style.  Hard to get that turned around especially with what Texas HS is(a pansy soft disgrace IMO thanks to people like Todd Dodge).  Strong is as out of sync as RRod at Michigan.

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 24, 2016, 02:55:20 pm
Best Razorback basketball season in twenty years but okay I get it, not noteworthy in your eyes. Shouldn't have to knock basketball team to prop up football team but anyways, please continue.

My comments to the basketball program's 2014-15 season has nothing to do with our football program.

We had 20 unremarkable years.  It was overblown in its greatness.  Good season.  Mike finally figured things out after a mid Jan SEC stretch.    It isn't a knock.  Just a difference in opinion about how great of an achievement the season was. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 02:46:58 pm

Definitely a lame duck now. Just waiting for the hatchet. Probably gets a nice chunk of change on the way out the door. Maybe he does a Muschamp, revamps an SEC defense and his image as well and ends up getting another shot at leading a top program? Could happen. It did for Muschamp.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 24, 2016, 02:37:58 pm

He's saying he should be #1 on the Hot Seat list.   Not for a job here.   Good Lord no!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 24, 2016, 02:35:36 pm
Kirby Smart is already on the list! Jeez...this business is cruel.

Smart will get two or three years there.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 24, 2016, 02:55:20 pm

Yes on all points, Fine!! BTW: b-ball cannot get here fast enough. Can't wait to see this group play.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
#NolanRichardsonCourt

reddogjcss

We will have a few new assistant coaches going into next year.

ricepig

Quote from: reddogjcss on October 24, 2016, 03:13:48 pm
We will have a few new assistant coaches going into next year.

Really going out on the proverbial limb are we?? We've had at least two every year, haven't we?

Sportster365

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 03:15:20 pm
Really going out on the proverbial limb are we?? We've had at least two every year, haven't we?

If this isn't a red flag then besides being 23-23 (8-20) I don't know what else could be.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Sportster365 on October 24, 2016, 03:21:21 pm
If this isn't a red flag then besides being 23-23 (8-20) I don't know what else could be.

We're 8-20 inside the conference under BB?  I thought we were 10-18?

ricepig

Oh, I'm sure if pushed you could come up with something.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 03:15:20 pm

If he'd said a new DC, would that have made any difference to the projection?

thefisher

take an actual factual look at the progression.

2013 - 3-9
2014 - 7-6
2015 - 8-5
2016 - currently 5-3 with a reasonably good chance to meet/surpass last years total wins.

Possible chance of hitting 9 wins this year even with the rebuilding being done ... especially with the bowl.

That is clear and plain data of an improving program.  Improving every year.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 24, 2016, 03:27:37 pm
If he'd said a new DC, would that have made any difference to the projection?

Not really, coaches are coaches.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 03:37:59 pm
Not really, coaches are coaches.

Changing a DC is much bigger than "just" changing coaches.. Enos is an example of making players and an offense better, imo...

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 24, 2016, 03:42:54 pm
Changing a DC is much bigger than "just" changing coaches.. Enos is an example of making players and an offense better, imo...

My point is they are still assistant coaches, nothing more.

buldozer

I don't think CBB is on the hot seat with the university but he is getting there with the fans. He also seems to have given up on this job already and his coaches and players seem to have sense that and given up as well. I think he is already looking for another job and realizes he is not going to cut it in this job long term.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 03:46:00 pm
My point is they are still assistant coaches, nothing more.

I understand your simplicity of the title.. Again, I differ in that a Coordinator is in charge and responsible for an entire unit, much more than a position coach... much more input, including scheme, personnel changes between positions, and game day preparation and in game adjustments..

And lastly, often a new leader can revive intangibles of confidence and belief that you can be successful... a position coach can only do that on a limited scale...

hobhog

Watch what happens when Gus loses to Bama later. Or gawd forbid to the Black Bears this weekend. It's fluid on the plains even with that debacle Saturday.

People are fickle. And it is a tough profession.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hobhog on October 24, 2016, 04:11:17 pm
Watch what happens when Gus loses to Bama later. Or gawd forbid to the Black Bears this weekend. It's fluid on the plains even with that debacle Saturday.

People are fickle. And it is a tough profession.

I'm pulling for Old Mrs.. yuck, can't believe I actually said that...

pfrg999

How did I miss Lovie Smith a Illinois?
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

porkrindjimmy

At some point, you have to ask yourself this...all of this "we will have new asst. coaches next year" nonsense, when do you come to the point that a head coach hires the wrong coaches? Enos has worked out for him but Chaney, Pittman, Ash, Smith, Segriest...whose feet is that laid at?

PRJ

Hawghiggs

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 24, 2016, 04:14:46 pm
At some point, you have to ask yourself this...all of this "we will have new asst. coaches next year" nonsense, when do you come to the point that a head coach hires the wrong coaches? Enos has worked out for him but Chaney, Pittman, Ash, Smith, Segriest...whose feet is that laid at?

PRJ

You missed it.  Already past that point.  It has been questioned including by me. :)   

murtismx

Hey dumbass. Your the reason most people can't come to hogville after a loss.   Negative response, botching like a ten year old "we need new coaches. Fire the head coach. Let's move to the big 12. How about just shut the Frank up and let the season play out?  Dumbassp

snoblind