Previous topic - Next topic

Can CBB win 9-11 Games a Year?

Yes
66 (41%)
No
95 (59%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Prestworthy

Ok let me be more specific - Can CBB average 9+ wins over the next 5 years while playing in the SEC?

jjdlc

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 24, 2016, 10:02:10 am
Unless we start paying players, I don't believe any coach could consistently do that at Arkansas.

If that is your standard, you will always be unhappy with whoever the coach is at UA.

I don't even think with paid players averaging 9+ could happen.  Look how many teams that already land consistent top 10 teams have a hard time averaging that.  Only Bama does it.  Expectations around here are absurd.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2016, 12:01:50 pm
That's fine. And I actually don't disagree.

However, our mindset as Arkansans is we need to pay market value...but at the same time we don't hold the same type of accountability these other schools do. Because of our shortcomings in this conference we can't have much in the way of expectations.

So now you and I have gone full circle LOL and back to the beginning. This is an excellent job for any coach. We have low expectations but will pay market value.

Going to have to disagree on the expectations.  Expectations are relative and unique to each program's situation.  We expect to be better than half the conference and every once in a while most of the conference. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 24, 2016, 12:07:17 pm
Ok let me be more specific - Can CBB average 9+ wins over the next 5 years while playing in the SEC?

I say yes.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: jjdlc on October 24, 2016, 12:09:30 pm
I don't even think with paid players averaging 9+ could happen.  Look how many teams that already land consistent top 10 teams have a hard time averaging that.  Only Bama does it.  Expectations around here are absurd.

You're seeing a lot of trash talk out of folks that disliked CBB from get go. Their expectations of what this program can achieve have not changed and it is not 9-11 wins, on average, per year. That's the arbitrary and totally asinine figure they have assigned to a coach they want dismissed.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

The_Iceman

Including bowl wins, Petrino averaged 8.5. Nutt averaged 7.5.

No coach will ever average 10 wins a season at arkansas.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 24, 2016, 12:07:17 pm

Can ANY COACH, At Arkansas, Average 9+ wins a year playing in the sec. For that matter can any coach not named Saban average 9+ wins over the next 5 years playing in the sec?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2016, 12:30:21 pm
Can ANY COACH, At Arkansas, Average 9+ wins a year playing in the sec. For that matter can any coach not named Saban average 9+ wins over the next 5 years playing in the sec?

No coach could average 9+ wins a season in the current state of the SEC. In the SEC West, we are probably at the biggest recruiting disadvantage geographically, especially defensively. We could get lucky with in state recruiting and get up to 10 a couple years, like Nutt and Petrino did, but to sustain that? Nope.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2016, 10:04:25 am
Every one of your posts explains how we just need to except mediocrity here at AR and how any real success has just been a fluke...OK..we got it..you are wrong..but we got it. Some of us are tired of the excuses and want to do what it takes to build a winner here at AR. and it can be done with the right personnel... obviously even you know CBB ain't the guy, hence you defeatest, poor Arkansas, woos me mindset...
So tell me how you are going to do it. Be specific. Every coach going back to and including Broyles has a 50% win rate against SEC competition.
Assuming we win 4 out of confrence games and half of the confrence games, that is 8 wins a year. We've won less than 50% of our bowl games. Recent history would say no. Frank Broyles put us in the SEC for money and to grow the athletic department, not just to win football games.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 24, 2016, 12:33:18 pm
No coach could average 9+ wins a season in the current state of the SEC. In the SEC West, we are probably at the biggest recruiting disadvantage geographically, especially defensively. We could get lucky with in state recruiting and get up to 10 a couple years, like Nutt and Petrino did, but to sustain that? Nope.

I will guarantee that these people calling for a change, etc would be tickled pink with 8 wins a year if we ran a offense like TT or Baylor.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 12:38:19 pm
Prior to this year Bielema's win rate at Arkansas against SEC competition is 29%.

He is 1-3 so far for the year. 

Barring upsets against FL and LSU he will not improve his %.

3-5 would be better, and I think we go 4-4, which I thought all along.

jkstock04

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 12:07:12 pm
Not exactly, we are going to pay market value but if you come in and the best you can do after 4-6 years is 8 wins then you are going to be gone.  Bielema knows that and long is prepared to act upon that.  Paying market value is an investment, we are investing in someone to build this program and I believe Bielema is doing just that.  We also had to add money to the job because of the position it was in, I believe we did that by monetarily compensating him as well as giving him a very solid 6 year agreement. No matter what you think of Bielema, he has put this program in a position for the next guy whenever that be to succeed. 

I disagree. Look at what got Houston Nutt and Petrino run out of town. It wasn't wins and losses.

Bielema is the golden coach most fans have longed for. He says what people want to hear, very likable, and most importantly (seemingly on the outside) everyone assumes non football shenanigans that make bad PR stuff like we had with Nutt and Petrino aren't going to happen. Wins and losses are way down the list.

Read what Wilsonhogs expectations are. He is a longtime supporter and doner of the athletic program. One of the most level headed people on here. His sentiments also echo most other people giving monetarily to the university, in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawgXi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 08:59:13 am
Jesus probably could.

Seriously, 9-11 a year on avg going fwd?  Do you know the SEC programs that have done that since the 92 expansion?

don't know if it was 10 years or not but les miles & mark richt were both averaging 10+ wins a year when they were canned.

Redhogs

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 12:45:46 pm
You have this weird fascination with the idea Arkansas fans not happy with the state of things are looking for a Pass Happy / No Defense approach to success.  Where does that come from?

Are you trying to correlate fans being happy with CBP's results with throwing the ball around and having no defense?
Just a quick stat check will tell anyone Petrino's 2011 offense:
Passing attempts - 479
Rushing attempts - 412

If you think people upset with the Auburn game are looking for Mike Leach or Kingsbury to come through the door that's your prerogative, but don't think it makes sense to anyone else.
Thank you...The concept that we just want to win on a consistant basis is just too hard for some to grasp...Here's an idea, how about working 12-15 hr days on Mon. and Tue. after the O.M. win instead of taking them off...you know, like a successful driven coaching staff would do...no body said it was easy..miss a concert or two and work your ass off...as in any successful business. Damn why is this so freaking hard for some to understand. But no, too many simpletons on this board want to sit here and throw darts at CBP for what he didn't do while going 21-5 as a coach here.  Truly mindless. CBB is the coach here now and he is the one underperforming, jeez get a clue some of you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2016, 12:53:21 pm
I disagree. Look at what got Houston Nutt and Petrino run out of town. It wasn't wins and losses.

Bielema is the golden coach most fans have longed for. He says what people want to hear, very likable, and most importantly (seemingly on the outside) everyone assumes non football shenanigans that make bad PR stuff like we had with Nutt and Petrino aren't going to happen. Wins and losses are way down the list.

Read what Wilsonhogs expectations are. He is a longtime supporter and doner of the athletic program. One of the most level headed people on here. His sentiments also echo most other people giving monetarily to the university, in my opinion.
You are right..sadly.

jkstock04

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2016, 01:05:35 pm
Thank you...The concept that we just want to win on a consistant basis is just too hard for some to grasp...Here's an idea, how about working 12-15 hr days on Mon. and Tue. after the O.M. win instead of taking them off...you know, like a successful driven coaching staff would do...no body said it was easy..miss a concert or two and work your ass off...as in any successful business. Damn why is this so freaking hard for some to understand. But no, too many simpletons on this board want to sit here and throw darts at CBP for what he didn't do while going 21-5 as a coach here.  Truly mindless. CBB is the coach here now and he is the one underperforming, jeez get a clue some of you.
They took off on Monday and Tuesday after the ole miss game? Surely you jest.

I imagine/assume the coaches are 24/7 this time of the year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 12:45:46 pm
You have this weird fascination with the idea Arkansas fans not happy with the state of things are looking for a Pass Happy / No Defense approach to success.  Where does that come from?

Are you trying to correlate fans being happy with CBP's results with throwing the ball around and having no defense?
Just a quick stat check will tell anyone Petrino's 2011 offense:
Passing attempts - 479
Rushing attempts - 412

If you think people upset with the Auburn game are looking for Mike Leach or Kingsbury to come through the door that's your prerogative, but don't think it makes sense to anyone else.

At the end of the day it always comes back to the style of play. People think his style of play is why we wont rise above X wins annually. The reason will actually be the anemic amount of in state legit sec players this state produces when compared to the other sec states. They can keep changing coaches, but it is not going to fix that problem.

onebadrubi

Nutt got ran out of here cause he couldn't win, people were tired of him getting to hump and not able to get over it, similar to mark richt just Richt's hump was much higher.

Bielema will be ran out of town if he can't sure up the trenches like his resume lead Arkansas to believe.  Now, that should not be after this year or next, but year 6 IMO given the situation everything is fair game

ricepig

The coaches were there working, lol, you have no clue, but you do have an agenda. The players actually practiced more because they didn't have classes, but don't let facts get in the way.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgXi on October 24, 2016, 01:00:30 pm
don't know if it was 10 years or not but les miles & mark richt were both averaging 10+ wins a year when they were canned.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 09:49:39 am
Meyer did it at Fl although his program was about to decline.

Saban avg just under 10 at LSU and just over 11 at Bama.  Avg 7 at Mich St

Les avg 10 in 11 seasons.  Avg 7 at Ok St

Stallings avg 10 at Bama

Terry Bowden avg 9 at AU over 5 seasons.  This before starting 1-5 in 98 after the NCAA sanctions caught up.

Tuberville 8.5 at AU

Richt just under 10 at UGa

Spurrier 10 at Fl

Some of these coaches did it in 1 or 2 less games per season.

This is your on avg expectation for Arkansas football in the SEC?

yes Miles at LSU post Saban and Richt did

You think Ark is in an equal situation?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

onebadrubi

How do you know if he tool Mon and Tues off?  How do you know he is attending concerts instead of working?  These are things that with proof will turn the fan base and get him ran out of town quickly if they are empty baseless accusations

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2016, 01:09:21 pm
They took off on Monday and Tuesday after the ole miss game? Surely you jest.

I imagine/assume the coaches are 24/7 this time of the year.
That's what has been stated in here several times since Sat...haven't seen it disputed.

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 01:12:33 pm
The coaches were there working, lol, you have no clue, but you do have an agenda. The players actually practiced more because they didn't have classes, but don't let facts get in the way.
Yes I do have an agenda...WINNING.

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2016, 01:15:12 pm
Yes I do have an agenda...WINNING.

So does this staff and team. How about addressing the facts of the post?

jkstock04

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 01:12:06 pm
Nutt got ran out of here cause he couldn't win, people were tired of him getting to hump and not able to get over it, similar to mark richt just Richt's hump was much higher.

Bielema will be ran out of town if he can't sure up the trenches like his resume lead Arkansas to believe.  Now, that should not be after this year or next, but year 6 IMO given the situation everything is fair game
Wins and losses were not what got Nutt run off, I can promise you. He finished his tenure with what? 10 wins and then 8? If Bielema wins 8 this year he may get a million dollar raise.

People were pissed at Nutt because of off field shenanigans. Whatever losses we incurred were the cherry on top and more ammo...but for sure not #1.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgar The Horrible

I've heard of intellectual dishonesty, but I don't know what to call this. Unintelligent honesty?

jjdlc

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2016, 01:14:16 pm
That's what has been stated in here several times since Sat...haven't seen it disputed.

I watched that news report, all I remember them saying was they let the team sleep in a bit later than usual since it was fall break, to try and let them rest up a bit after having played 7 straight weeks.  I don't remember anything being said about not practicing at all.

hogsanity

Thank you...The concept that we just want to win on a consistant basis is just too hard for some to grasp...

define " win on a consistent basis " is that having more wins per year than losses? Winning the division, the seccg, the playoff. Just what is your idea of " winning on a consistent basis "?

onebadrubi

Quote from: jjdlc on October 24, 2016, 01:32:31 pm
I watched that news report, all I remember them saying was they let the team sleep in a bit later than usual since it was fall break, to try and let them rest up a bit after having played 7 straight weeks.  I don't remember anything being said about not practicing at all.

Or the coaching staff take off MOnday and Tuesday...  He's just spewing darn

Prestworthy

90-107 in SEC conference games since 1992 should tell us something.  I think we are in the wrong conference.

HF#1

Eventually yes. When he figures out that recruiting developmental good character players will only get you so far.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

onebadrubi

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 24, 2016, 05:00:15 pm
90-107 in SEC conference games since 1992 should tell us something.  I think we are in the wrong conference.

Ahhh of course we are.  We should move conferences, one to where we get less money, less TV time, one that maybe can't even add how many teams they have?  Oh and also the one that is dominated by one particular school which every unbiased person says is sinking that said conference into the shitter?

Before you get too much further, it is all about money in this world.  We are upon the upper echelon of money making sports programs, we aren't going to give that up...

hoghearted

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2016, 10:48:24 am
I've said for a while now his ceiling regardless of it is this year or year 10...is 8 wins regular season. Until we see differently I'll stick to that.

inclined to agree
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

sounds like Ole Miss fans. Can't really win the big ones, but boy can we tailgate.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Prestworthy

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 05:07:21 pm
Ahhh of course we are.  We should move conferences, one to where we get less money, less TV time, one that maybe can't even add how many teams they have?  Oh and also the one that is dominated by one particular school which every unbiased person says is sinking that said conference into the shitter?

Before you get too much further, it is all about money in this world.  We are upon the upper echelon of money making sports programs, we aren't going to give that up...
Winning games is what matters.  Period.  Don't care which conference.

ricepig

Quote from: hoghearted on October 24, 2016, 05:13:56 pm
sounds like Ole Miss fans. Can't really win the big ones, but boy can we tailgate.

We have several posters on here who say we would trade past seasons with Ole Miss, so there's that.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 24, 2016, 05:15:42 pm

Go cheer for Boise st then.  Because until you understand the full realm, you wont get it.  Arkansas decision makers take more into account than that.  That is why coaches get fired when seats start getting empty. 

TNRazorbacker

Not sure how you are asking this question.

If you are asking if he can maintain 9 - 11 wins EVERY year the answer is h-heyl no.  Not in this conference recruiting in the bottom quarter every year no chance.  This isn't just Bielema either- nobody could do this here or most any other team for that matter.  The only modern SEC team I'm aware of that has maintained this level of success is Bama under Saban.

If you are asking if he CAN win 9 - 11 games in a given season then the answer is most certainly. On average I think the 9 win season is probably a two- three times a decade occurrence. Ten wins or more once a decade.  This is typical to our history and I don't think that is going to change much.

I do think we can maintain a Bowl worthy team every year though, and that's what I've been hopeful Bielema could develop us into.  So even in our down years we were still competitive.  Given his history of player development, strong line play, and good fundamentals this would seem a good bet.  Watching what happened this past Saturday has shaken my confidence though.  It's year 4 for Brett and we looked like 2012 all over again.

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Not just no, but helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

Prestworthy

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 05:19:58 pm
Go cheer for Boise st then.  Because until you understand the full realm, you wont get it.  Arkansas decision makers take more into account than that.  That is why coaches get fired when seats start getting empty.
Please explain to me the "full realm" as a fan.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HOGGISHABOUTAR on October 24, 2016, 05:36:46 pm
Not just no, but helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

You're a UCA fan now, remember? Your opinion is meaningless.

LZH

I actually voted yes. Can he? Sure.

There is a big difference in 'can' and 'will'.

jjdlc

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 24, 2016, 05:15:42 pm

By all means then, let's join CUSA or the Sunbelt. 

Prestworthy

Quote from: jjdlc on October 24, 2016, 06:34:28 pm
By all means then, let's join CUSA or the Sunbelt.
Nah the hogs are P5 program, just can't compete with SEC schools for the top talent. It will probably be a losing battle until something changes.

jjdlc

No, you clearly said winning is all that matters, you didn't care which conference.  Let's go dominate a G5 conference, he'll, let's go FCS, I'd love to win a couple of those playoff championships.

HogimusMaximus

We will be lucky to win 9 again under Bert.

Prestworthy

Quote from: jjdlc on October 24, 2016, 06:43:28 pm
No, you clearly said winning is all that matters, you didn't care which conference.  Let's go dominate a G5 conference, he'll, let's go FCS, I'd love to win a couple of those playoff championships.
Would you?

onebadrubi

jjdlc