Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggus -/ would like to hear your thoughts

Started by JJHog, October 24, 2016, 08:15:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

On the game and the future of BB and rob smith-
How do we fix it? Can it be fixed by this staff?
Thanks
" Think Right, Do Right"

Biggus Piggus

Dad had a stroke, have been preoccupied. Thanks.
[CENSORED]!

ArkansasI

Prayers to your family Biggus.  I hope that your father enjoys a strong recovery.

To JJHog-

Bret is a young coach with a fine record, he handles his players and the media well, and we are assured by Mike Irwin that Bret is a man worthy of our support.  These things tell me that Bret is likely able to fix the problems.

Bret inherited a strong program at Wisconsin, but we know that he managed to sustain it from a very young age.  If Bret had not so closely followed the success Arkansas enjoyed during Bobby's tenure, his hiring would have been celebrated as a coup.

Few Hogvillians seem to appreciate the risk Bret took in coming to Fayetteville.  He left a comparable (maybe better) job when the Hogs were a category 8 dumpster fire.  Being from Iowa and coaching at Wisconsin, Bret understands the work that has to be done to attract the talent necessary to grow the Razorback tradition.  We ought to have considered ourselves lucky.  But our Razorback luck - Bobbygate followed by John L. "Smiles" and "Pisshot" Smith - had us in a lurch.

Auburn is located in a talent-rich part of the country.  Their core boosters are known to do anything and everything necessary to win football games.  And the Hogs got whooped Saturday.  Embarrassed.  No excuses.  So, Razorback fans question the direction of our football team.  I get it.

So, how many years does it take to build a football team at Arkansas?  Bret is in year 4.  What do we expect?  What should we expect?

I believe developing the Razorback football program is a minimum 6 year proposition.  Year 1 is nearly a do-over... the coach arrives in transition... recruiting is in flux.  Unless there is a strong in-state class, he has little hope of being competitive that first year in recruiting.

Years 2-5 are where the coach establishes a foundation.  Bret has been managing these years with high staff turnover.  This is something he had hoped to eliminate coming from Wisconsin.

Some coaches he's hired have been given better opportunities - head coaching jobs, etc.  Others have made lateral moves - either Bret is too difficult to work with or the coaches saw better opportunities elsewhere.  Either way, we have problems.  If Bret is the problem, then Arkansas needs to find a better head coach.  If coaches found better opportunities (at Georgia, or - for example - if Randy Shannon learned that coaching at Arkansas has obstacles he didn't face at Miami) then we need to give this staff a chance to tear down the walls that have been constructed to keep them out.

I see Bret as a guy that will go anywhere to bring players to Arkansas.  That means he is carving fresh recruiting paths that may take a few years to cultivate.  Do we abandon the harvest before the crops mature?  That might be an option if our program is prepared to win at all costs.  But that has not been our history.

Starting over gives us fresh outlook with new faces.  But that costs a lot of money and seems unlikely to give the Razorbacks a leader that has as strong of a resume' as Bret.

If we stay the path, learning from the set-backs that are difficult to bear, we are that much closer to reaching year 6 when a truly objective measurement of Bret's success can be assessed.  I'd hate to start over again unnecessarily.

Athog

Quote from: JJHog on October 24, 2016, 08:15:48 am
On the game and the future of BB and rob smith-
How do we fix it? Can it be fixed by this staff?
Thanks

What Biggus wants is not a priority at this time.

hoghearted

Quote from: ArkansasI on October 24, 2016, 10:00:47 am
Prayers to your family Biggus.  I hope that your father enjoys a strong recovery.

To JJHog-

Bret is a young coach with a fine record, he handles his players and the media well, and we are assured by Mike Irwin that Bret is a man worthy of our support.  These things tell me that Bret is likely able to fix the problems.

Bret inherited a strong program at Wisconsin, but we know that he managed to sustain it from a very young age.  If Bret had not so closely followed the success Arkansas enjoyed during Bobby's tenure, his hiring would have been celebrated as a coup.

Few Hogvillians seem to appreciate the risk Bret took in coming to Fayetteville.  He left a comparable (maybe better) job when the Hogs were a category 8 dumpster fire.  Being from Iowa and coaching at Wisconsin, Bret understands the work that has to be done to attract the talent necessary to grow the Razorback tradition.  We ought to have considered ourselves lucky.  But our Razorback luck - Bobbygate followed by John L. "Smiles" and "Pisshot" Smith - had us in a lurch.

Auburn is located in a talent-rich part of the country.  Their core boosters are known to do anything and everything necessary to win football games.  And the Hogs got whooped Saturday.  Embarrassed.  No excuses.  So, Razorback fans question the direction of our football team.  I get it.

So, how many years does it take to build a football team at Arkansas?  Bret is in year 4.  What do we expect?  What should we expect?

I believe developing the Razorback football program is a minimum 6 year proposition.  Year 1 is nearly a do-over... the coach arrives in transition... recruiting is in flux.  Unless there is a strong in-state class, he has little hope of being competitive that first year in recruiting.

Years 2-5 are where the coach establishes a foundation.  Bret has been managing these years with high staff turnover.  This is something he had hoped to eliminate coming from Wisconsin.

Some coaches he's hired have been given better opportunities - head coaching jobs, etc.  Others have made lateral moves - either Bret is too difficult to work with or the coaches saw better opportunities elsewhere.  Either way, we have problems.  If Bret is the problem, then Arkansas needs to find a better head coach.  If coaches found better opportunities (at Georgia, or - for example - if Randy Shannon learned that coaching at Arkansas has obstacles he didn't face at Miami) then we need to give this staff a chance to tear down the walls that have been constructed to keep them out.

I see Bret as a guy that will go anywhere to bring players to Arkansas.  That means he is carving fresh recruiting paths that may take a few years to cultivate.  Do we abandon the harvest before the crops mature?  That might be an option if our program is prepared to win at all costs.  But that has not been our history.

Starting over gives us fresh outlook with new faces.  But that costs a lot of money and seems unlikely to give the Razorbacks a leader that has as strong of a resume' as Bret.

If we stay the path, learning from the set-backs that are difficult to bear, we are that much closer to reaching year 6 when a truly objective measurement of Bret's success can be assessed.  I'd hate to start over again unnecessarily.

When he came here, supporters were saying it's a 5 year rebuild. Now it's a six year. Next year, will you say it's a seven?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Athog

Quote from: Athog on October 24, 2016, 10:03:45 am
What Biggus wants is not a priority at this time.

Biggus has much more important things!!

Boarcephus

Bielema has shown in the past he's not afraid to ditch a coach if he's unhappy with the job he's doing, i.e., Chaney and Markusson.  If Smith stays, then Bielema is satisfied with the job he's doing but I'll be darned if I can see how he'd be happy with the defense when we're ranked 106th in total and 120 against the run out of 128 teams nationally. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 24, 2016, 08:28:54 am

I hate to hear that.  Prayers for a full recovery on the way.

RazrRila99

Quote from: hoghearted on October 24, 2016, 10:07:21 am
When he came here, supporters were saying it's a 5 year rebuild. Now it's a six year. Next year, will you say it's a seven?

Heres how I see this, based solely on recruiting:
2010 we win 11 games, go to Sugar, barely lose. NO recruiting boost, especially defense.  Not to mention HIGH turnover

2011 we win 10 games, go to Cotton, win going away.  NO recruiting boost after two seasons of almost pure top-10 ball.  Then "Volley-cycle" gate.

2012 well, debacle in the highest form; bring back JLS, coaching staff knows they are lame duck NO recruiting at all

2013 bring in CBB, any recruiting base from 2010/2011 season success is GONE, LONG gone; 2012 no BIG out of state recruit wants to come here (save Alex, prior connection to CBB); Terrible season, team seen as quitting on coaching staff. Almost a PURE turnover of assistants.

2014 Year one of full-time CBB, seeing some benefits, team standing together, playing for one another go to Texas bowl, blow out Tejas.  OC decides Pitt is a better fit, leaves we upgrade to Dan Enos; however O-line coach is ticked that prior OC isnt fought to keep, he gives up on his job doesnt recruit etc

2015 Year two of full-time CBB; huge prior coaching staff turnover, yet another New OC for B.Allen etc; not to mention injury after injury after injury; team steps up, makes lemonade, closes season strong; ANOTHER BOWL WIN.  This is also year two of no o-line recruiting, losing two to graduation and one who (arguments made) should have stayed another year, so essentially back to square one on O-line leaving Skipper and Ragnow as 40% in the D-line heavy SEC West.  Not a good start. 

2016 well, we are reaping what was sowed. Having to play so young in 2013/2014, using JuCos to fill holes (either not pan out or out of eligibility), we are left with some skill position seniority; new QB; a VERY inexperienced O-line (one who hasnt played Offense, Grad Transfer, and unknown talent).  Now turn to defense, WTH is going on here.  This should have been our saving grace, but nope, no depth in LB/CBs. 

Post-2016 this is where I will save my grades for CBB.  If we dont see something through recruiting, end of season performance, coaching staff changes, etc I will start to wonder. 

That said, anyone as coach of the Razorbacks has my support until they go to the dark side.  I dont want a spread offense guy, if we are having trouble finding players for a pro-style (run) do you really think we will be able to find enough talent to line up and run exactly the same as everyone else?  CBP hit the perfect storm, Mallett decides to leave Mich due to a spread guy hired there; Childs/Adams/Wright all in one class; perfect freaking storm there folks.  What would have actually happened in 2012 if CBP would have stayed?  I say MAYBE 8 wins.  Its all about recruiting. How do we win the recruiting battles?

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent your way for your dad.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

East TN HAWG

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pignparadise

Quote from: RazrRila99 on October 24, 2016, 10:40:23 am
2010 we win 11 games, go to Sugar, barely lose. NO recruiting boost, especially defense.  Not to mention HIGH turnover

2011 we win 10 games, go to Cotton, win going away.  NO recruiting boost after two seasons of almost pure top-10 ball.  Then "Volley-cycle" gate.

2012 well, debacle in the highest form; bring back JLS, coaching staff knows they are lame duck NO recruiting at all

2013 bring in CBB, any recruiting base from 2010/2011 season success is GONE, LONG gone; 2012 no BIG out of state recruit wants to come here (save Alex, prior connection to CBB); Terrible season, team seen as quitting on coaching staff. Almost a PURE turnover of assistants.

2014 Year one of full-time CBB, seeing some benefits, team standing together, playing for one another go to Texas bowl, blow out Tejas.  OC decides Pitt is a better fit, leaves we upgrade to Dan Enos; however O-line coach is ticked that prior OC isnt fought to keep, he gives up on his job doesnt recruit etc

2015 Year two of full-time CBB; huge prior coaching staff turnover, yet another New OC for B.Allen etc; not to mention injury after injury after injury; team steps up, makes lemonade, closes season strong; ANOTHER BOWL WIN.  This is also year two of no o-line recruiting, losing two to graduation and one who (arguments made) should have stayed another year, so essentially back to square one on O-line leaving Skipper and Ragnow as 40% in the D-line heavy SEC West.  Not a good start. 

2016 well, we are reaping what was sowed. Having to play so young in 2013/2014, using JuCos to fill holes (either not pan out or out of eligibility), we are left with some skill position seniority; new QB; a VERY inexperienced O-line (one who hasnt played Offense, Grad Transfer, and unknown talent).  Now turn to defense, WTH is going on here.  This should have been our saving grace, but nope, no depth in LB/CBs. 

Post-2016 this is where I will save my grades for CBB.  If we dont see something through recruiting, end of season performance, coaching staff changes, etc I will start to wonder. 

That said, anyone as coach of the Razorbacks has my support until they go to the dark side.  I dont want a spread offense guy, if we are having trouble finding players for a pro-style (run) do you really think we will be able to find enough talent to line up and run exactly the same as everyone else?  CBP hit the perfect storm, Mallett decides to leave Mich due to a spread guy hired there; Childs/Adams/Wright all in one class; perfect freaking storm there folks.  What would have actually happened in 2012 if CBP would have stayed?  I say MAYBE 8 wins.  Its all about recruiting. How do we win the recruiting battles?
Good post
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

1highhog

I really like your breakdown and post and agree with it 95%.  The part I do not and will never agree with is where fans say that if Petrino would have stayed he would have won 8 games or more in 2012.  There is no fracking way!  I would have gladly taken anyone's bet on that line had he stayed, his recruiting was a joke to that point.  I do think he would have won 6 games, but that's it.  Sure fans of his look at Louisville and oh my goodness what great things he has done.  It sure seems that every time I see a recruit that has us listed and Louisville listed recruiting him that we end up getting him, so why are we out recruiting Petrino if he's such a fantastic Coach?  Louisville plays in a weak conference and if Petrino wins against 1 or maybe 2 big name schools that happened to be no good this year then all of a sudden he has a great team?  His team will get exposed in a bowl game soon enough.

gohogs1969

I don't post much. My dad had a major stroke October 14. God bless you man. We're in the same boat....I disagree with lots of opinions on here. Y'all make me mad. A lot...but I think the members here are such good Hog fans and you have my respect. If I see any one of y'all in an opposing stadium then I got your back.

sickboy

Yeah, people don't realize what a massive lottery we had with Childs/Adams/Wright/DJ Williams/Mallett/Knile Davis/Dennis Johnson/Tyler Wilson/Chris Gragg. The 2008 state class had SEVEN kids on offense who were NFL caliber players. Let that sink in. If you want to throw Mallett in and say he was technically an Arkansan and because he transferred he came in at the same time as this class... that puts it at 8 NFL players in one year. Then you hand those players to Petrine -- yeah... that's as good as a class the state of Arkansas has ever produced and you're feeding those players to a coach who's a genius with their skill sets.

If that happens again... And I hope to god it happens on defense instead of offense... but if that happens again, Arkansas will be solid. We're just not the type of state that pumps out classes like that regularly.

hawgtime

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 24, 2016, 10:24:16 am
Bielema has shown in the past he's not afraid to ditch a coach if he's unhappy with the job he's doing, i.e., Chaney and Markusson.  If Smith stays, then Bielema is satisfied with the job he's doing but I'll be darned if I can see how he'd be happy with the defense when we're ranked 106th in total and 120 against the run out of 128 teams nationally. 

true. I like CBB, I just want him to continue to open up the offense and get better players. the 2nd and 3rd year recruits should be seasoned and starting to make difference... I am just not seeing it.

ArkansasI

Good summation.

Razorback fans want a head coach to accomplish something at Arkansas that has never been done before - consistently compete at the highest level in college football post-integration.  This goal is made more difficult competing in the toughest division in college football, where every other team lives with the exact same expectations.

For the first time in years, Bret brought in assistant coaches in demand.  The original coordinators came to campus and left quickly.  Either they couldn't cut it at Arkansas or they got better jobs.  We might note to ourselves that none are out of work.  I believe each has a better job today than they had at Arkansas.

What, if anything does this tell us?

The Hogs are comprised of Arkansans, a few blue-chippers from outside SEC territory, and players that were second choices for most of the schools we compete against.  I offer this comment without condemnation.  It's completely natural that a Louisiana player thinks first of LSU.  A Texas kid is likely interested in playing in Texas...  Attitudes take years to adjust.

Bobby was gone before we knew whether he could have sustained success.  Fact is, Bobby has never been anywhere long enough to know if he can build and sustain.  But this isn't Bobby v. Bret.  This is Bret v. "The world of available coaches that can be attracted to the Razorback job".

Arkansas can definitely attract talent.  Bret has recruited some great players to campus.  And as far as coaching talent is concerned, we are blessed with alumni and friends that provide fantastic support to the program that will enable the university to employ qualified candidates.

I complain all the time.  However, the system is not set up to make success in Fayetteville come early.  Razorback fans are accustomed to standing up to face adversity.  Saturday's loss is no different.

I agree that something is wrong, but we're losing to good football teams.  I don't believe that Arkansas is likely to drastically improve its recruiting via coaching change.

code red

Quote from: ArkansasI on October 24, 2016, 01:09:19 pm
Good summation.

Razorback fans want a head coach to accomplish something at Arkansas that has never been done before - consistently compete at the highest level in college football post-integration.  This goal is made more difficult competing in the toughest division in college football, where every other team lives with the exact same expectations.

For the first time in years, Bret brought in assistant coaches in demand.  The original coordinators came to campus and left quickly.  Either they couldn't cut it at Arkansas or they got better jobs.  We might note to ourselves that none are out of work.  I believe each has a better job today than they had at Arkansas.

What, if anything does this tell us?

The Hogs are comprised of Arkansans, a few blue-chippers from outside SEC territory, and players that were second choices for most of the schools we compete against.  I offer this comment without condemnation.  It's completely natural that a Louisiana player thinks first of LSU.  A Texas kid is likely interested in playing in Texas...  Attitudes take years to adjust.

Bobby was gone before we knew whether he could have sustained success.  Fact is, Bobby has never been anywhere long enough to know if he can build and sustain.  But this isn't Bobby v. Bret.  This is Bret v. "The world of available coaches that can be attracted to the Razorback job".

Arkansas can definitely attract talent.  Bret has recruited some great players to campus.  And as far as coaching talent is concerned, we are blessed with alumni and friends that provide fantastic support to the program that will enable the university to employ qualified candidates.

I complain all the time.  However, the system is not set up to make success in Fayetteville come early.  Razorback fans are accustomed to standing up to face adversity.  Saturday's loss is no different.

I agree that something is wrong, but we're losing to good football teams.  I don't believe that Arkansas is likely to drastically improve its recruiting via coaching change.
I am not quite on board with his recruiting....other than that I agree.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawgfan4life

A voice of common sense, astute observations, and reason.  Too bad 95% of the people who are on the internet will not use common sense, ignore your observations because they don't fit their opinions, and will become increasingly unreasonable regardless of facts.  Won't be long before we have banners flying, gofundme.com for coaching buyout, etc.  At least until we beat Florida.  If we beat Florida, we are 50% better instantly and should win out the remaining games with a slight consideration that it might not happen against LSU.  Lose to FL and we will be lucky if we can win any of our remaining games and the panic only magnifies.

JoeHawg

Once a Hog Always a Hog

Bacons Rebellion

I hate to hear that Biggus. Prayers for and best wishes to you Dad.

Lake City Hog

"Yeah, people don't realize what a massive lottery we had with Childs/Adams/Wright/DJ Williams/Mallett/Knile Davis/Dennis Johnson/Tyler Wilson/Chris Gragg. The 2008 state class had SEVEN kids on offense who were NFL caliber players. Let that sink in. If you want to throw Mallett in and say he was technically an Arkansan and because he transferred he came in at the same time as this class... that puts it at 8 NFL players in one year. Then you hand those players to Petrine -- yeah... that's as good as a class the state of Arkansas has ever produced and you're feeding those players to a coach who's a genius with their skill sets."

1st---Knile Davis came from Texas
2nd Chris Gragg was a 2*
3rd Dennis Johnson was a 3*
4th Greg Childs was a 3 *
5th Joe Adams was a 4* AS A DB!(had he taken the USC offer and played DB for 4 years he might well be in the NFL today)
6th DJ was an 07 recruit from Nutt
Wright and Wilson were 4* guys as was Mallett, but not 1 single 5* in that group.

But, let's not let FACTS get in the way of a good story. I'm surprised you didn't tell that old line about Petrino refusing to recruit defense, another BIG LIE!

This ain't about Petrino, this is about how THIS team played Saturday night. More specifically about how unprepared the defense looked. Bo made a comment today that Malzahn ran a little play that he has been running for years, ever since he coached in High School and we acted like it was a trick play put in during the bye week.

hehawg

Quote from: pignparadise on October 24, 2016, 11:55:31 am
Good post

Nice breakdown. I know we all get frustrated at times and what better place to vent than hogville! Myself along with others will continue to come here and voice opinions and think we are the know it all of college football but at the end of the day it's just a game and our friends and family come first and foremost. May the best outcome come to your family hogville brethren!
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

Tusks

That's a very articulate story, but none of it translates to a 53 point, worse SEC loss ever, at Auburn in year 4.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 24, 2016, 07:43:54 pm
"Yeah, people don't realize what a massive lottery we had with Childs/Adams/Wright/DJ Williams/Mallett/Knile Davis/Dennis Johnson/Tyler Wilson/Chris Gragg. The 2008 state class had SEVEN kids on offense who were NFL caliber players. Let that sink in. If you want to throw Mallett in and say he was technically an Arkansan and because he transferred he came in at the same time as this class... that puts it at 8 NFL players in one year. Then you hand those players to Petrine -- yeah... that's as good as a class the state of Arkansas has ever produced and you're feeding those players to a coach who's a genius with their skill sets."

2nd Chris Gragg was a 2*
5th Joe Adams was a 4* AS A DB!(had he taken the USC offer and played DB for 4 years he might well be in the NFL today)
Wright and Wilson were 4* guys as was Mallett, but not 1 single 5* in that group.

But, let's not let FACTS get in the way of a good story. I'm surprised you didn't tell that old line about Petrino refusing to recruit defense, another BIG LIE!

This ain't about Petrino, this is about how THIS team played Saturday night. More specifically about how unprepared the defense looked. Bo made a comment today that Malzahn ran a little play that he has been running for years, ever since he coached in High School and we acted like it was a trick play put in during the bye week.

Mallett was a 5*.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

KillerK4

To JJHog-

Absolutely wayyyyy too much sense for one post... I recommend this guy gets a 24 hour ban for this.

rickfahr

To JJHog-

That is such BS, the part about Bert understanding the recruiting necessary. He himself said after year one or two that he didn't understand how important recruiting Texas was. Texas. He said he didn't understand how important it was to recruit TEXAS. So, don't tell me how he's a recruiting genius.

TazorTusk

Prayers from this poster also.

Lost my dad as a 13 y.o. so in the midst of the trial don't forget to be grateful for all the years you have had him.  I believe gratitude is helpful for lots of situations -- even some of the hard ones.

Tazor

rickfahr

2nd Chris Gragg was a 2*

Agreed, and one other thing -- the folks who say Petrino's recruiting was going downhill or had or whatever, they have no idea what he saw in his recruits, and I'll take his evaluations over most anybody else's.

hog.goblin

2nd Chris Gragg was a 2*

This ain't about Petrino, this is about how THIS team played Saturday night. More specifically about how unprepared the defense looked.

thank you for this

At times, Petrino's defense looked like ours did on Saturday.  They would make adjustments at the half and we would win or at least make it respectable more times than not.

But what we have is Bret.  I think Bret is capable.  I don't think Bret is capable unless he has great assistants.  Right now we don't have that on the defensive side of the ball.  Coaching is what gets you blown out by 53 points.  Not a lack of talent.  Arkansas St and ULM kept it closer than we did.  Are they more talented?  I know it's difficult to compare games.  I'm not comparing games.  I'm comparing a total lack of ability to stop any play that Auburn was running.

PonderinHog

Sometimes you kill the tiger.  Sometimes the tiger kills you.

popcornhog

Quote from: hawgtime on October 24, 2016, 12:25:31 pm
true. I like CBB, I just want him to continue to open up the offense and get better players. the 2nd and 3rd year recruits should be seasoned and starting to make difference... I am just not seeing it.

I don't get the "open up the offense" thing. Not a knock on you, I'm just wondering what people mean when they say this (I hear it all the time). Does it mean more spread HNH, more downfield passing, or just a more diverse playbook?

I guess to me, I just want to win, regardless of how "open" the playbook is.
WPS

Atlhogfan1

2nd Chris Gragg was a 2*

bull.

Mallett was a 5 star.
Green was a 5 star.

FACTS - Why do you some of you feel the need to lie?  We have plenty to criticize about.

Petrino had offenses with 4 and FIVE star qbs, 4 and 5 star RBs, 4 star TE, 4 star wr's.  The he didn't care about defense was stupid. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

latrops

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 24, 2016, 10:24:16 am

How do 8 teams manage to play worse run defense than us?

Atlhogfan1

15-33 2011
20-28 2010

Can we agree those were good, enjoyable seasons and move on?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 09:38:12 pm
bull.

Mallett was a 5 star.
Green was a 5 star.

FACTS - Why do you some of you feel the need to lie?  We have plenty to criticize about.

Petrino had offenses with 4 and FIVE star qbs, 4 and 5 star RBs, 4 star TE, 4 star wr's.  The he didn't care about defense was stupid. 

You seem to be the one lacking in truth:

Two things:

1) Neither Mallett or Green signed with U of A.  They transferred back because of Bobby Petrino.  Only one of the them had the talent to contribute to the program.  You ignored the rest of the folks on this list.

2) I look at the offense we have now and see a 4* QB, 3* TX RB, another 4* RB, a 4* WR, and other WR's & TEs that are about as talented as we've ever had.  Hunter Henry and Alex Collins say hello from last year.  And with Dan Enos as the OC, under CBB's guidance, I am extremely pleased with our offense, it's firepower, and it's balance (ignoring last Saturday of course) over the last two years.  Only a handful of uneducated overemotional fans are complaining about the offense, and mainly because of one game (this year anyway).

The problem with this team is the OL and the defense.  Those were problems under Petrino too.  "Free Willy" rings a bell.  But we never accomplished a 53 point SEC beating, not even close after the first year of CBP. 

I guess I'm the rare guy who really likes CBP AND CBB.

If CBB can fix the OL and defense, and those are huge orders, this team can still do some damage in the next 4 games.  The next two weeks, and really 4 games, I think will set the tone for his career at Arkansas.  How this team responds will reflect his will and character to win.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 24, 2016, 10:40:12 pm
You seem to be the one lacking in truth:

Two things:

1) Neither Mallett or Green signed with U of A.  They transferred back because of Bobby Petrino.  Only one of the them had the talent to contribute to the program.  You ignored the rest of the folks on this list. 
2) I look at the offense we have now and see a 4* QB, 3* TX RB, another 4* RB, a 4* WR, and other WR's & TEs that are about as talented as we've ever had.  Hunter Henry and Alex Collins say hello from last year.  And with Dan Enos as the OC, under CBB's guidance, I am extremely pleased with our offense, it's firepower, and it's balance (ignoring last Saturday of course) over the last two years.  Only a handful of uneducated overemotional fans are complaining about the offense, and mainly because of one game (this year anyway).

The problem with this team is the OL and the defense.  Those were problems under Petrino too.  "Free Willy" rings a bell.  But we never accomplished a 53 point SEC beating, not even close after the first year of CBP. 

I guess I'm the rare guy who really likes CBP AND CBB.

If CBB can fix the OL and defense, and those are huge orders, this team can still do some damage in the next 4 games.  The next two weeks, and really 4 games, I think will set the tone for his career at Arkansas.  How this team responds will reflect his will and character to win.

1)  Doesn't matter where they originally signed.  They played multiple seasons for Petrino.  They didn't transfer back for him.  Although it worked out well for Mallett. 

Green contributed.  Didn't ignore.  Have repeated the others credentials.  Just addressed the BS in the post saying no 5 stars. 

2) We have had some offensive talent.  Not a Mallett.  But some talent.  Defense is always the difference. 

I like CBP.  I hate his supporters - those who won't let go and move on and are intellectually dishonest to what the 2010 and 11 seasons were to be critical now. 

goodguytex

Prayers going up for your Dad Biggus. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Arkansas has never really excelled when we were the marked beast. We always seem to do best when no one expects us to step up and win a big one and suddenly be a force to consider.

That has not changed. It is actually a lot worse today than at any point in UA history. Imagine if Arkansas and Missouri were to have different division alignments. Think about this year, having OM as the 2nd out-of-division game (a win) or Mississippi State (most winnable game vs the west). We'd be a full game better off, if not more. We have to embrace the steepest hill in college football.

As noted above, all of these "good explanations" do not explain 56-3. I suspect that explanations will either never happen, or will happen in a manner that leaves us going, "ah, now I get it."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Sir Oinksalot

Good points,I'd love a season in the East right now just one year where we didn't have our brutal schedule...we do indeed have the most difficult path by far.....

Maybe we should take a game off every year and play our subs for the whole game ....
Bama for example ....
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Boarcephus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 09:38:12 pm
The he didn't care about defense was stupid. 

All I know is Petrino's defense is ranked 18th against the run, 14th against the pass and 10th in total defense.  I have to believe it boils down to less to do with talent and more to do with coaching and philosophy.  Either Bielema is holding him back or Smith is lost. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

razorsharptusk

2015 Year two of full-time CBB; huge prior coaching staff turnover, yet another New OC for B.Allen etc; not to mention injury after injury after injury; team steps up, makes lemonade, closes season strong; ANOTHER BOWL WIN.  This is also year two of no o-line recruiting, losing two to graduation and one who (arguments made) should have stayed another year, so essentially back to square one on O-line leaving Skipper and Ragnow as 40% in the D-

"Year two of no o-line recruiting", is a huge problem for me.  We are not talking about Cheney or Pittman being the one who's MO was to run the football. It's the identity of a Brett Bielema coached football team.  So, knowing this is your calling card, why in the world do you NOT recruit O lineman?
GO HOGS!!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 25, 2016, 07:21:33 am
All I know is Petrino's defense is ranked 18th against the run, 14th against the pass and 10th in total defense.  I have to believe it boils down to less to do with talent and more to do with coaching and philosophy.  Either Bielema is holding him back or Smith is lost. 
I am a Petrino fan, but it's not entirely an apples and apples comparison. Right now, he has a former UGA defense coordinator who was fired from UGa and looking for a job -- who is a very good coordinator, better than what Petrino had at Arkansas. And the stats at Louisville are mostly earned against ACC teams who by and large would have trouble competing in the SEC East, with a couple of very notable exceptions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 25, 2016, 12:26:25 am
Arkansas has never really excelled when we were the marked beast. We always seem to do best when no one expects us to step up and win a big one and suddenly be a force to consider.

That has not changed. It is actually a lot worse today than at any point in UA history. Imagine if Arkansas and Missouri were to have different division alignments. Think about this year, having OM as the 2nd out-of-division game (a win) or Mississippi State (most winnable game vs the west). We'd be a full game better off, if not more. We have to embrace the steepest hill in college football.

As noted above, all of these "good explanations" do not explain 56-3. I suspect that explanations will either never happen, or will happen in a manner that leaves us going, "ah, now I get it."

Due to recent games, I believe we got a very focused Bama, OM and AU.  Bama because of how close we have been last two seasons and they knew this was their championship making stretch.  OM because of 4th and 25.  And AU because of the OT loss and it appears Gus made Arkansas his personal Super Bowl like Nutt would when at OM.  I agree, it is better when you can catch teams flat.  Hopefully we will Fl after they play the cocktail party this weekend. 

AirForceHog

Quote from: hoghearted on October 24, 2016, 10:07:21 am

If that is what it takes. You have to realize long term is good for Arkansas.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 25, 2016, 07:21:33 am

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2016/7/27/12296480/three-louisville-defensive-players-named-first-team-all-acc

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11353612/devonte-fields-permanently-separated-tcu-horned-frogs

Lou has talent on defense.  Two of the leaders on the Cards defense are seniors recruited to Louisville by Strong and his asst's.  (So was their great wr Quick.)  Fields was booted from TCU for allegedly assaulting his gf.  It is talent + scheme.  You can't play defense without talent.  You can scheme your way to points usually on offense.  But you can't hide on defense if you are playing good competition. 

Lou has a nice team this season.  We will see what they are without the Strong recruited defenders in the future. 

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 25, 2016, 08:03:01 am
I am a Petrino fan, but it's not entirely an apples and apples comparison. Right now, he has a former UGA defense coordinator who was fired from UGa and looking for a job -- who is a very good coordinator, better than what Petrino had at Arkansas. And the stats at Louisville are mostly earned against ACC teams who by and large would have trouble competing in the SEC East, with a couple of very notable exceptions.

The 3 great players on D helps. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 25, 2016, 08:03:01 am

The "Petrino didn't care about defense" stuff (and I'm not saying you said it, but it's said a lot) is baloney.  Here are Petrino's and Bielema's defensive stats in their respective 3rd and 4th (to date for Bielema) seasons at Arkansas:

Total Defense:
Petrino 2010......347.9 ypg......36th nationally
Bielema 2015.....391.6 ypg......58th nationally

Petrino 2011......362.9 ypg......47th nationally
Bielema 2016......428.0 ypg.....84th nationally

Scoring Defense:
Petrino 2010....23.4 points per game......47th nationally
Bielema 2015.....27.4 points per game.....68th nationally

Petrino 2011.....22.2 ppg.....33rd nationally
Bielema 2016......31.4 ppg.....88th nationally

Facts don't bear out the claims.  In fact, they absolutely refute them.