Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 4 Main Problems I See On This Team

Started by Youngsta71701, October 24, 2016, 07:58:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thefisher

October 24, 2016, 12:58:06 pm #50 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:11:15 pm by thefisher
Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2016, 12:41:11 pm
So is it fair to say Nutt and Petrino did more with less?

Nice red herring. .... never the less ...

It's fair to say hogcard is full of it in his accusation.

It is also fair to say that talent levels have not varied greatly under the last four coaches.  In fact it seems arguable that the only time talent was markedly better was under Nutt with the Ford's recruits.

It's fair to say that the coach that can get over that hump and get recruiting to rank up around 15-20 on a consistent basis as opposed to 20-30 will be in a position to actually challenge for the conference.

It is fair to say that CBP was 13-10 against the SEC West.  He went 5-8 against Bama, Auburn and LSU.  CBB went 2-2 against Auburn, Bama, and LSU while he was at Wisconsin. He also beat Arkansas.

It is fair to say CBP never beat Bama, twice finished 4th in the SEC West, finished 3rd in the SEC West once, and tied for second once, and was clearly on the downslide.

There were no championships coming from CBP.

It is also fair to say that the players on the team were telling new recruits to NOT COME TO ARKANSAS! At the Catfish Hole shin dig that CBP put on several current players were telling the visiting recruits what an arse CBP was and to go elsewhere if they had an option. His recruiting was hitting the toilet.

It is fair to say that CBP had a fork in him at Arkansas whether he had ever put that motorcycle in the ditch or not. That's what's fair to say.

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

onebadrubi

Wasn't it Darelle Revis that tweeted out one time how did arkansas never win a championship with Dmac in the backfield?

Nutt always under achieved and played petty stupid games. 

Petrino had a great offensive skilled team that lead his run, no reason to say he did more with less or less with more.  Comparing Bielema to Petrino would be the equivalent of Bielema coming here and falling into 3 4* Olineman and 1 5* olineman with a couple 4-5* RB's sitting in state waiting on him.  You just can't draw a comparision rationally between the two.  You have to look elsewhere. 

Bielema is doing something neither the previous mentioned could do.  Lock down instate players.

LA Football fan

Wallace was getting abused play after play.  You would think that the coaches would chip the defender to at least give Wallace a chance to get his hands on the guy.  Raulerson was getting pushed straight back into the backfield on virtually every pass play.  Why we never substituted on the oline when it was obvious we were having serious issues on the right side is beyond me.

Why we didn't go to a 5 man front on the dline and MAKE them throw the ball is something else that I didn't understand.  When your opponent is averaging over 10 yrs a pop running the ball, it might be time to add more beef inside and make them call some different plays.  Our dbs were making plays on the ball and should have had at least 2 interceptions.   Ellis was virtually nonexistent inside and was too slow to make plays to the outside.   I believe A&M showed every spread opponent we play how to take Ellis out of the game.  I like Ellis but he gets absorbed by lineman way too easy and just really never fills the hole properly and the rbs are running right past him for big yards.

onebadrubi

Quote from: LA Football fan on October 24, 2016, 01:00:45 pm
Wallace was getting abused play after play.  You would think that the coaches would chip the defender to at least give Wallace a chance to get his hands on the guy.  Raulerson was getting pushed straight back into the backfield on virtually every pass play.  Why we never substituted on the oline when it was obvious we were having serious issues on the right side is beyond me.

Why we didn't go to a 5 man front on the dline and MAKE them throw the ball is something else that I didn't understand.  When your opponent is averaging over 10 yrs a pop running the ball, it might be time to add more beef inside and make them call some different plays.  Our dbs were making plays on the ball and should have had at least 2 interceptions.   Ellis was virtually nonexistent inside and was too slow to make plays to the outside.   I believe A&M showed every spread opponent we play how to take Ellis out of the game.  I like Ellis but he gets absorbed by lineman way too easy and just really never fills the hole properly and the rbs are running right past him for big yards.

Wallace is a guard playing out of position.  Don't ask me why either but that dude to me screams powerful guard. 

farmhawg

Quote from: thefisher on October 24, 2016, 12:58:06 pm
Nice red herring. .... never the less ...

It's fair to say hogcard is full of it in his accusation.

It is also fair to say that talent levels have not varied greatly under the last four coaches.  In fact it seems arguable that the only time talent was markedly better was under Holtz with the Ford recruits.

It's fair to say that the coach that can get over that hump and get recruiting to rank up around 15-20 on a consistent basis as opposed to 20-30 will be in a position to actually challenge for the conference.

It is fair to say that CBP was 13-10 against the SEC West.  He went 5-8 against Bama, Auburn and LSU.  CBB went 2-2 against Auburn, Bama, and LSU while he was at Wisconsin. He also beat Arkansas.

It is fair to say CBP never beat Bama, twice finished 4th in the SEC West, finished 3rd in the SEC West once, and tied for second once, and was clearly on the downslide.

There were no championships coming from CBP.

It is also fair to say that the players on the team were telling new recruits to NOT COME TO ARKANSAS! At the Catfish Hole shin dig that CBP put on several current players were telling the visiting recruits what an arse CBP was and to go elsewhere if they had an option. His recruiting was hitting the toilet.

It is fair to say that CBP had a fork in him at Arkansas whether he had ever put that motorcycle in the ditch or not. That's what's fair to say.

You lost me at Holtz with ford recruits.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 24, 2016, 12:14:31 pm
How many times in the 1st Half alone, did Auburn run on first down and what was their average per carry?
We didn't load the box on Auburn like they did against us. Especially on first down. I put that blame on our DC. To me it's simple math. If the box is loaded you pass. If two safeties are deep you run. Take what the defense gives you. Simple math...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 12:09:16 pm
Raulerson tried the LG spot, he jumped over to fill the gap created by Ragnow and Froholdt right in front Whaley I believe on saturday.  Dude literally pulled and got the hole then stopped.
Maybe he should be on the bench then.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 24, 2016, 12:17:09 pm
That's fine is you've got the athletes to pull it off.  If you don't you better not be predictable.
I concur. Also if you have the O-line to pull it off. Ala Dallas Cowboys type O-line. Which we clearly don't.

Youngsta71701

LOL...Don't get carried away now. It's not that much better.

HawgHeadCheese

The reason we lost Saturday was simple, Auburn's Oline flat out whipped our overrated Dline a**, our terrible Oline got their a** whipped by Auburn's Dline, and we have the worst set of LB in college football when it comes to playing in space. I have to give Rhett Lashlee credit if you watched the remaining 20-25 min of our Texas A&M game you will see we flat out couldn't stop the run from spread formations. I'm upset with Robb Smith because no time during the game did he say I rather Sean White beat us with his arm and commit to stopping the run. We got out coached it's just that simple. Also, I thought the CB position would be our weak link this year, but those guys have been playing good football. I'm very excited about Pulley's future.

thefisher

Quote from: farmhawg on October 24, 2016, 01:23:40 pm
You lost me at Holtz with ford recruits.

Sorry.  Brain fart.  It's Monday. 

I meant that many attribute the success Nutt had the first two years to the high quality of recruits left on the shelf by Ford.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

311Hog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 24, 2016, 01:52:26 pm
The reason we lost Saturday was simple, Auburn's Oline flat out whipped our overrated Dline a**, our terrible Oline got their a** whipped by Auburn's Dline, and we have the worst set of LB in college football when it comes to playing in space. I have to give Rhett Lashlee credit if you watched the remaining 20-25 min of our Texas A&M game you will see we flat out couldn't stop the run from spread formations. I'm upset with Robb Smith because no time during the game did he say I rather Sean White beat us with his arm and commit to stopping the run. We got out coached it's just that simple. Also, I thought the CB position would be our weak link this year, but those guys have been playing good football. I'm very excited about Pulley's future.

Would be nice if he didnt drop "sure pick 6's", but yeah CB play hasn't been as bad as the other phases/position groups.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: 311Hog on October 24, 2016, 01:58:46 pm
Would be nice if he didnt drop "sure pick 6's", but yeah CB play hasn't been as bad as the other phases/position groups.

I agree and if he makes that play it's a totally different ball game. I'm not saying we would've won the game, but it definitely wouldn't ended 56-3

hogcard1964

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 24, 2016, 01:47:46 pm
LOL...Don't get carried away now. It's not that much better.

Nutt wasn't much better but TCTWF was.

porkrindjimmy

I just want to know why no one wants to touch BB falling asleep during film review. And folks want to know why we aren't prepared? But carry on about Petrino on the downside and Nutty. Nutt was more prepared than Bielema is. Let that sink in for a moment.

PRJ

TuffTusk

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 01:08:40 pm
Wallace is a guard playing out of position.  Don't ask me why either but that dude to me screams powerful guard.

I kind of agree with this.  Put Frank at RT, Wallace at RG, and Rogers at C maybe?
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

Atlhogfan1

What PRJ keeps crying for attention over:

http://www.campusrush.com/arkansas-razorbacks-drew-morgan-bret-bielema-2013756829.html

"DM: He's not very secretive. He's pretty open. I'd probably say, oh man he is going to get MAD at me for this, but he's a sleeper. He falls asleep at the most random times. Once, my freshman or sophomore year, we came into receiver meetings one day and we're watching film and Coach B is sitting in the back. He looks like he's taking notes and then the next thing you know, you hear his watch and ring hit the table and he pops up, kinda does a snort. He was sleeping! I'm sorry I'm laughing so hard while I'm telling you this, it cracks me up to think about. I said I had to go to the restroom so he wouldn't see me laughing."

Now, you could be like PRJ and infer BB sleeps instead of preparing his teams or he is lazy or he is hung over from partying at concerts or tired from Jen.  Or you could think he doesn't get a lot of sleep with his schedule including the recruiting trips, alumni trips, meetings, prep time spent with coaches, watching out for 105+ players, etc so when he sits down in a quiet room with a film rolling he might not be able to help himself from dozing off.  Not like most of us who have jobs don't do it on occasion.   It's what view you want to take. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hehawg

Quote from: alohawg on October 24, 2016, 12:15:46 pm
#4 not happening, he's too concerned with being liked.

After the beat down at Auburn he should be concerned
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 02:43:46 pm
What PRJ keeps crying for attention over:

http://www.campusrush.com/arkansas-razorbacks-drew-morgan-bret-bielema-2013756829.html

"DM: He's not very secretive. He's pretty open. I'd probably say, oh man he is going to get MAD at me for this, but he's a sleeper. He falls asleep at the most random times. Once, my freshman or sophomore year, we came into receiver meetings one day and we're watching film and Coach B is sitting in the back. He looks like he's taking notes and then the next thing you know, you hear his watch and ring hit the table and he pops up, kinda does a snort. He was sleeping! I'm sorry I'm laughing so hard while I'm telling you this, it cracks me up to think about. I said I had to go to the restroom so he wouldn't see me laughing."

Now, you could be like PRJ and infer BB sleeps instead of preparing his teams or he is lazy or he is hung over from partying at concerts or tired from Jen.  Or you could think he doesn't get a lot of sleep with his schedule including the recruiting trips, alumni trips, meetings, prep time spent with coaches, watching out for 105+ players, etc so when he sits down in a quiet room with a film rolling he might not be able to help himself from dozing off.  Not like most of us who have jobs don't do it on occasion.   It's what view you want to take. 

Oh I don't know what view I will take. A team that is unprepared several times a year. Sure...a coach falling asleep because he is tired from working so hard. Yep, that must be it.

I bet it doesn't have a Damn thing to do with cleaning out a Ryans at lunch.

Gimme a break. This team is unprepared. That is on the coach. Entirely...100%

PRJ

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 24, 2016, 02:49:51 pm
Oh I don't know what view I will take. A team that is unprepared several times a year. Sure...a coach falling asleep because he is tired from working so hard. Yep, that must be it.

I bet it doesn't have a Damn thing to do with cleaning out a Ryans at lunch.

Gimme a break. This team is unprepared. That is on the coach. Entirely...100%

PRJ

Big lunches hit me hard too.

Not disagreeing the team was unprepared for AU.  You wanted someone to touch it.  I touched it.  Do you have any more tangible evidence of this being an actual problem and hindrance to preparation? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 02:53:00 pm
Big lunches hit me hard too.

Not disagreeing the team was unprepared for AU.  You wanted someone to touch it.  I touched it.  Do you have any more tangible evidence of this being an actual problem and hindrance to preparation? 

Nope. Not that I can prove. Just something that was said in humor I am sure, but it could dang sure be a symptom to the problem. Because there is some sort of problem.

PRJ

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 24, 2016, 03:00:43 pm
Nope. Not that I can prove. Just something that was said in humor I am sure, but it could dang sure be a symptom to the problem. Because there is some sort of problem.

PRJ

Perhaps you are going about this the wrong way.  Maybe you want BB to be a CEO hands off coach and hire asst's who can do their jobs and he lets them.  I agree some things aren't right.  The defense is some level of a mess at each level.  The personnel decisions in the oline are baffling at this point.  The recruiting numbers at certain positions have been as well. 

MountieDawg

Pretty sure the Final score would have been 35 to 3 if we just had to play 2 hand touch when we were on defense and they had to tackle us when they were on defense.  We struggle to put a hand on them most plays.
SEC!

thefisher

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 24, 2016, 02:09:19 pm
I just want to know why no one wants to touch BB falling asleep during film review. And folks want to know why we aren't prepared? But carry on about Petrino on the downside and Nutty. Nutt was more prepared than Bielema is. Let that sink in for a moment.

PRJ

Hmmm ...again big on opinion without an ounce of factual data to back it up.  Were you aware that saying something doesn't actually make it so?

Exactly how many games do you actually think went into the loss column on Saturday against Auburn?

If you weren't aware it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if the score was 21-20 or if it was 85-0.  It was one loss.  That's it and that's all.  Quit beechen like it was something else.  Team played poorly and got beat. That's it. Nothing more and nothing less. 

Did you forget that they beat Ole Miss the week before?

If last Saturday repeats itself this year a time or two then there is cause to take more notice.  For now its just one loss in a season that the Hogs are currently 5-3.

hogcard1964

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 24, 2016, 02:09:19 pm

PRJ

Are there seriously rumors going around that this guy is falling asleep in team meetings or film reviews?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2016, 03:30:59 pm
Are there seriously rumors going around that this guy is falling asleep in team meetings or film reviews?

lol, troll job I believe here. 

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2016, 03:30:59 pm

Nope. Drew Morgan said it in a humorous way back awhile ago. And again, if true, starts a conversation on why we aren't prepared. The head coach isn't supposed to be sleeping. Think Saban takes a snooze after stuffing himself at Jim & Nicks during film session?

So..Drew Morgan said he did...maybe it was once, maybe it happens once a week. IDK, but it is sure a red flag when a team has the penchant for showing up unprepared.

PRJ

MTBrookHog

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 24, 2016, 08:19:04 am
I'm not sure we even got off the bus in that game.  I can't help but wonder if something else is up with this team.  It's like there is no unity.  I watched Allen on the bench with Enos and it appeared instead of listening that there was a bunch of attitude between them.  I understand emotions get high, but as good as I'm hearing Enos is with QB's, it might be a good idea to settle down and listen to him.  Something never clicked in that game for our team.
Could some of this be Allen's frustration at Enos not getting the play into him in a timely manner? Just asking.

jm

Quote from: 311Hog on October 24, 2016, 01:58:46 pm

CB has probably been the strongest position group, or atleast the most pleasant surprise. Most knew the receivers would play well and suspected QB would be OK, but who thought the corners would be as tough to handle as they have been so far?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jm on October 24, 2016, 04:47:41 pm
CB has probably been the strongest position group, or atleast the most pleasant surprise. Most knew the receivers would play well and suspected QB would be OK, but who thought the corners would be as tough to handle as they have been so far?
This is the very reason we need to spread our DE's out load the box and take away the run. Because are corners are covering so well.

thefisher

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 25, 2016, 06:39:04 am
This is the very reason we need to spread our DE's out load the box and take away the run. Because are corners are covering so well.

Agreed.  Hogs have a better shot if they are loading the box to stop the run, sending some of those guys with blitz pressure at the qb, and trusting the cornerbacks can cover 1 on 1 until pressure gets there.

Of course if the corners get burned out there on the island then we will also have lots of people on here complaining about what a poor coverage team we have.

Big risk/big reward way to play.  However, I totally agree with you.  Best shot the Hogs have at a win.

Snorts

Y'all ever coached for a living?  The 80 plus hours a week under crushing pressure gets to you sometimes.  You fall asleep watching film after another 12+ hour day, sitting in the dark and quiet early in the morning.  It happens.

We have a lot of 4 star recruits on campus.  According to some services, we have a couple of 5 star as well.  You can only play 22 at a time, you know.  All of our OLine are 4 star save one, an extremely high 3 star.  We have 4 star recruits on the OL not playing.  We have depth there, if you go by rankings.

Apparently CBB has recruited a bare minimum of 2 star players, if any.  The ceiling is going up, but so is the floor.  Talent wise we are as good as we've been this century.

Depth?  The constant excuse of the huggers, I know.  Depth had no effect on Allbarn's first play of the game, I promise.  Our 9 returning starters were out of position, intimidated and totally non-physical, attempting to run off of blocks rather than deliver a blow.  So were the two replacements. 

Teams that are slightly out-athleted don't get beaten by 50 points, unless they are unmotivated and quit.  You play hard, stick to a good plan, keep it close, and win late because you are mentally tougher than the other guy.  You see it every Friday and Saturday.  You saw it the second half of last year.

We have regressed to the point our run defense cannot get worse.  Literally.  Its coaching, my friends.

razorsharptusk

Quote from: MTBrookHog on October 24, 2016, 04:05:57 pm
Could some of this be Allen's frustration at Enos not getting the play into him in a timely manner? Just asking.

I would say yes.  There have been many games where Allen has expressed frustration toward the sideline because he was waiting for a play call and didn't get one.  Like I said, it seems this team and the coaches are just not clicking or on the same page most of the time. 
GO HOGS!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: thefisher on October 25, 2016, 06:45:16 am
Agreed.  Hogs have a better shot if they are loading the box to stop the run, sending some of those guys with blitz pressure at the qb, and trusting the cornerbacks can cover 1 on 1 until pressure gets there.

Of course if the corners get burned out there on the island then we will also have lots of people on here complaining about what a poor coverage team we have.

Big risk/big reward way to play.  However, I totally agree with you.  Best shot the Hogs have at a win.
Me personally I would leave one safety deep just in case. He would be my insurance. Wouldn't want to use him unless I had to. lol...
Of course I would disguise my coverage's too, at times. I might start off with a two safety look before the snap then after the snap change to one safety. Things like that to keep the offense guessing. Sometimes you have to play mind games with the opponent. If you let them get comfortable your in trouble. No matter who it is.

3kgthog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 12:10:24 pm
He's done this more than once this season.  I believe he shoved off a OL two or three times against auburn.

He did the same to Frojoldt in the 4th against Bama.

Redhogs

Quote from: Snorts on October 25, 2016, 07:08:40 am
Y'all ever coached for a living?  The 80 plus hours a week under crushing pressure gets to you sometimes.  You fall asleep watching film after another 12+ hour day, sitting in the dark and quiet early in the morning.  It happens.

We have a lot of 4 star recruits on campus.  According to some services, we have a couple of 5 star as well.  You can only play 22 at a time, you know.  All of our OLine are 4 star save one, an extremely high 3 star.  We have 4 star recruits on the OL not playing.  We have depth there, if you go by rankings.

Apparently CBB has recruited a bare minimum of 2 star players, if any.  The ceiling is going up, but so is the floor.  Talent wise we are as good as we've been this century.

Depth?  The constant excuse of the huggers, I know.  Depth had no effect on Allbarn's first play of the game, I promise.  Our 9 returning starters were out of position, intimidated and totally non-physical, attempting to run off of blocks rather than deliver a blow.  So were the two replacements. 

Teams that are slightly out-athleted don't get beaten by 50 points, unless they are unmotivated and quit.  You play hard, stick to a good plan, keep it close, and win late because you are mentally tougher than the other guy.  You see it every Friday and Saturday.  You saw it the second half of last year.

We have regressed to the point our run defense cannot get worse.  Literally.  Its coaching, my friends.
Good post.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Kevin

Quote from: Snorts on October 25, 2016, 07:08:40 am

I can say I never fell asleep in a meeting or film breakdown with players. I have watching film with other coaches on the staff.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22