Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Jeff Long ever win a championship at Arkansas?

Started by Hog Solo, October 23, 2016, 10:25:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Solo

Past or present.  If long were in charge of Athletics during the late eighties early 90's would've he just been ok with a winning record with Nolan?  If he was in charge during the 60's or 70's would've been ok with being ok with Frank??  Where have we lost our way?   There was always an athletic director pushing them.

We have won championships before and should not regress to being ok without them.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RME

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 10:26:57 pm
More dumb darn

Amazing how this stuff pops up, isn't it?

My favorite thing is to ask people like this what they'd do differently from Long, and then watch as replies and replies come into the thread without them ever answering my question.

Hog Solo

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 23, 2016, 10:27:54 pm

My favorite thing is to ask people like this what they'd do differently from Long, and then watch as replies and replies come into the thread without them ever answering my question.

Not hire long.  Any questions?

RME

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 23, 2016, 10:25:29 pm
Past or present.  If long were in charge of Athletics during the late eighties early 90's would've he just been ok with a winning record with Nolan?  If he was in charge during the 60's or 70's would've been ok with being ok with Frank??  Where have we lost our way?   There was always an athletic director pushing them.

We have won championships before and should not regress to being ok without them.

Also...apart from track, I think we've already hit that point...

RME

Hog Solo

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 23, 2016, 10:30:40 pm
Sure. Who would you have hired instead?

Basically a clown.  Long pumped himself up for that fire for himself..

EastexHawg

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 23, 2016, 10:27:54 pm

Maybe if they were given the authority to offer $4 million per year and the Arkansas head coaching job they could offer a more enlightened and detailed answer.  Did you know Bielema was planning to leave Wisconsin before you heard Arkansas had signed him?

Your question isn't nearly as devastating and clever as you think it is.

jkstock04

There are other threads right now talking about the new plan with Razorback athletics. Fans need to get through their heads Jeff Long doesn't have winning a bunch of football games in that master plan.

Phrases like "integrity" "game day experience" "uncommon" "the right way" "a clean program" etc have taken over and trump wins/losses.

Say what you will about Broyles (I've said plenty)....but he took winning and losing a hell of a lot more seriously than Jeff Long. Especially in his hay day.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 23, 2016, 10:34:34 pm
Basically a clown.  Long pumped himself up for that fire for himself..

Ah great answer. Bozo would've been a great AD.

Hog Solo

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2016, 10:35:07 pm
There are other threads right now talking about the new plan with Razorback athletics. Fans need to get through their heads Jeff Long doesn't have winning a bunch of football games in that master plan.

Phrases like "integrity" "game day experience" "uncommon" "the right way" "a clean program" etc have taken over and trump wins/losses.

Say what you will about Broyles (I've said plenty)....but he took winning and losing a hell of a lot more seriously than Jeff Long. Especially in his hay day.

Damn right.  Tired of the integrity stuff

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 23, 2016, 10:35:04 pm
Maybe if they were given the authority to offer $4 million per year and the Arkansas head coaching job they could offer a more enlightened and detailed answer.  Did you know Bielema was planning to leave Wisconsin before you heard Arkansas had signed him?

Your question isn't nearly as devastating and clever as you think it is.

Not trying to be clever at all. Just think it's rather pointless to bitch about something in which people have no knowledge.

Nope, no idea. I don't think many people knew at all. But I was thrilled when I heard he was the new hire.

Why would you not want to offer $4 million per year and the Arkansas head coaching job to a guy who had gone to three Rose Bowls in a row, and had won 3 Big Ten championships?

Who wouldn't be happy with that prospect?

Please, though. If you had the authority and everything else you listed, enlighten us as to who you would have selected.

Hog Solo

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 23, 2016, 10:36:06 pm
Ah great answer. Bozo would've been a great AD.
Well really couldn't be worse.  I've never heard before in my years that we are Arkansas and that's what we should be expected.  This is new terminology and really awful.

Hog Solo

I mean be good at something, sad times here at the u of a.

daprospecta

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 23, 2016, 10:49:40 pm
I mean be good at something, sad times here at the u of a.
Our BBall team is going to be salty this year and next year might be top ten.

Danny J

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 23, 2016, 10:37:55 pm
Damn right.  Tired of the integrity stuff
Don't worry...integrity will only go so far. We are not Vanderbilt or UK. We will eventually need to win more than 8 games total. Another couple 7-5 regular seasons and we will be looking for a new coach regardless of the propaganda being put out by the administration through the media and some on message boards.

Hopefully it won't come to that and to be honest if AA is healthy I think we can beat UF and that win alone will be a HUGE hurdle in the minds of most fans especially myself. We really need to beat UF.

Sooie71923

Not sure if JL will win a championship at Arkansas. Does he have any eligibility left?

Do ADs usually win championships?

Was JL hired to win a championship?

If you think ADs job is to win a championship, I don't think you grasp the concept of college athletics...

Danny J

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 23, 2016, 10:41:40 pm
Well really couldn't be worse.  I've never heard before in my years that we are Arkansas and that's what we should be expected.  This is new terminology and really awful.
You are not hearing that from the administration per se. I haven't heard them come out and say 7 wins seasons are good enough for us as long as we are winning the right way. Where I have heard it is a few posters on this board who have convinced a dozen or so others that is the case and then they parrot the same talking points. There is also a radio program or two that does the same thing.

buldozer

Good student scores will not fill the bleacher seats. When those go empty Jeff Long will go missing..... a national title? Out of the question in football

CaddoHog

Quote from: buldozer on October 23, 2016, 11:16:15 pm
.... a national title? Out of the question in football

This^
Unfortunately Arkansas will never win a Nat'l Title in football.
At least not more than our '64 title.

Our decent-to-good chances were with a coupla' teams in the 70's, a couple in the 80's, '98, and 2006 teams.

We will probably not see those chances again.
(maybe once every 20 years we will win 10games in a season)
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

Atlhogfan1

Not hard to understand.  Well for some it is apparently.

The emphasis on recruiting players who will be disciplined off the field and in their academics leads to players who will remain in the program, eligible and will make the right decisions on the field.  Retention is a huge piece to this working.  It may or may not work.  Makes sense for a program like ours who at some point needs to be playing almost exclusively 3rd-4th-5th year players on defense and in the oline to be competitive. 

Good students who become well developed football players could fill seats.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastArkHog 47

Jeff Long is for Jeff Long and what makes him look good to the national media, he could care less about the Razorbacks or the State of Arkansas. Being a successful AD in Long's mind is how many dollars are brought in not how many wins.

ricepig

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on October 24, 2016, 05:11:34 am
Jeff Long is for Jeff Long and what makes him look good to the national media, he could care less about the Razorbacks or the State of Arkansas. Being a successful AD in Long's mind is how many dollars are brought in not how many wins.

Wouldn't you think more wins would bring in more money, wouldn't he be in favor of that?

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

sigpooie

The aD is suppose to strive to make all of the programs better. I think Long is lost when it comes to football. Oh he can be the poster child for ethics a few more years thanks to CP, and he can talk big donors out of cash, but he can't seem to keep up with the men he is competing against with the product he produced. We need a guy that knows our market not one that no one is afraid of.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

hoghearted

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2016, 10:35:07 pm

Some of these phrases are eye-opening for me. Reminds me a bit of the Nutt years. "Who else could we get? What big name coach would want to come here?"
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

BR

SO the answer to your question is yes... Since JL has been our AD our sports teams have won 3 National Championships

NCAA Women's Division I Outdoor Track and Field: 2016
NCAA Women's Division I Indoor Track & Field: 2015
NCAA Men's Indoor Track and Field: 2013
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Valleysports

I remember when I moved back here, watching some strong Arkansas teams competing in the SEC.  I think y'all even won the SEC West.  Then the radio lit up with Hog Fans wanting  Nutt fired!  So what was wrong with him at the helm?  His team's seemed to be balanced and a good fit for the Arkansas program.  Y'all wanted to go in a different direction? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Valleysports on October 24, 2016, 11:53:20 am
I remember when I moved back here, watching some strong Arkansas teams competing in the SEC.  I think y'all even won the SEC West.  Then the radio lit up with Hog Fans wanting  Nutt fired!  So what was wrong with him at the helm?  His team's seemed to be balanced and a good fit for the Arkansas program.  Y'all wanted to go in a different direction?

He was great.  Perfect.  Somehow he managed to get two ADs and two chancellors removed from their positions at the SEC universities for which he coached due to his actions.  But nothing was wrong with Dale.  Can't believe USC or Texas isn't trying to hire him. 

1highhog

Not unless he becomes a Head Coach of something.

hoghearted

:D
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 11:56:18 am
He was great.  Perfect.  Somehow he managed to get two ADs and two chancellors removed from their positions at the SEC universities for which he coached due to his actions.  But nothing was wrong with Dale.  Can't believe USC or Texas isn't trying to hire him. 

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Poker_hog

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on October 24, 2016, 05:11:34 am

I've always thought that.  This is just a job to him.  I don't think there is any true loyalty.  If he has to make a decision between what is good for the university or what is good for himself, he'll choice the later every time.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Ben

Of course. He already has in Track and Field, Arkansas' bread and butter. Can't take that away
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

sickboy

Quote from: 1highhog on October 24, 2016, 12:13:27 pm
Not unless he becomes a Head Coach of something.

Maybe there's some kind of business team through the business school that competes in businessy competitions with other schools. Like one of the competitions would be to see who can market and sell a t-shirt with a poop emoji on it to Baby Boomers. He'd probably be really good at coaching a team like that.

Pigdiana Jones

JL is too busy being full and integrity and his little college football playoff to give a damn what happens at UA.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

pignosticator

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

— John Heisman (1869–1936), legendary football coach for whom the Heisman Trophy is named

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I think JL wants the UA to succeed.
I don't think he wants any scandals on his watch.
I think he he's a bit of a prima donna.
I think he's mega-concerned with the $$.
I think he's most concerned about shaping his image for the next job.
I think he's loyal to the UA only so far as it is equal to or better than the next job.

I think he may be in over his head with regards to talent assessment of coaches, perhaps the most important aspect of being an A.D.

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 11:21:38 pm
Not hard to understand.  Well for some it is apparently.

The emphasis on recruiting players who will be disciplined off the field and in their academics leads to players who will remain in the program, eligible and will make the right decisions on the field.  Retention is a huge piece to this working.  It may or may not work.  Makes sense for a program like ours who at some point needs to be playing almost exclusively 3rd-4th-5th year players on defense and in the oline to be competitive. 

Good students who become well developed football players could fill seats.

This is what I have been saying for years.  I'm withholding judgment on CBB until after the 2018 season.  That will be his first team with his own 5th-year seniors (his first class doesn't count).  I think folks will be very pleased with the product we put on the field in 2018'and later years.

wildhogman

Quote from: Hog Solo on October 23, 2016, 10:25:29 pm

Dunno, but if he does will it make him a better AD then Broyles? Broyles had Lou Holtz, hatfield, Ford and tens years of the Nutt including 1998 and 2006. And never won a NC. Came close but no cigar.

wildhogman

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 24, 2016, 12:22:42 pm
I've always thought that.  This is just a job to him.  I don't think there is any true loyalty.  If he has to make a decision between what is good for the university or what is good for himself, he'll choice the later every time.
Well apparently the guy's paying his salary and responsible for hiring and firing him are fine with this. Or he would be fired.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on October 26, 2016, 05:58:08 am
I think JL wants the UA to succeed.
I don't think he wants any scandals on his watch.
I think he he's a bit of a prima donna.
I think he's mega-concerned with the $$.
I think he's most concerned about shaping his image for the next job.
I think he's loyal to the UA only so far as it is equal to or better than the next job.

I think he may be in over his head with regards to talent assessment of coaches, perhaps the most important aspect of being an A.D.

IMO, you could not be more right in your assessment. Nailed it!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

EastexHawg

Some of us tried to tell anyone who would listen that Arkansas football had maxed out under Nutt.  His "greatest" team lost it last three and ended the season with four losses despite all the NFL talent on the squad.  We were never going to be any better than mediocre...his ten years had proven that.

Finally, mercifully, he was fired.  What happened?

A truly outstanding coach fell into our laps.  Within three years, we were in the Sugar Bowl.  The next year we were 11-2, beat another top ten team in our bowl game, and finished the season ranked #5.

Everything many of us believed about Arkansas football had been proven true.  Nutt was a mediocre coach who was holding the program back.  We really COULD be among the nation's best...if we had great coaching.  The so-called obstacles...the recruiting disadvantages, all of them...were nothing more than excuses for a lack of outstanding coaching.  All the claims that "we aren't going to find anyone better" were exposed as bull.  The real truth was that we weren't going to excel as a program doing the same thing over and over and hoping things would change.

Hope isn't a plan of action.  We wasted a decade, not only for the program but right out of the middle of many of our own lives, letting the PTB, the media, and the gullible carry on with the hope that our coach would somehow have the stars align perfectly so that he could win big and prove them right. 

hogsanity

The issues, as far as posters go, is we have 3 groups:

Group A - Enjoy the game for what it is, a game. A chance to maybe spend time with friends or family while watching a GAME.

Group B - Living out their lost dreams of glory through kids, in this case 18-22 yr olds that play for the Hogs. These are the same people who live and die with their local high school team, all while reliving the night they scored 2 td's against arch rival ( insert name of town no one ever heard of ) forgetting that they lost the game 63-14. Think of the guy at the drive in in Friday Night Lights.

Group C - win at all costs. Cheat, lie, steal, bend the rules into a pretzel, berate players, curse at officials, whatever it takes to win.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Redhogs

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 26, 2016, 08:55:39 am
Some of us tried to tell anyone who would listen that Arkansas football had maxed out under Nutt.  His "greatest" team lost it last three and ended the season with four losses despite all the NFL talent on the squad.  We were never going to be any better than mediocre...his ten years had proven that.

A truly outstanding coach fell into our laps.  Within three years, we were in the Sugar Bowl.  The next year we were 11-2, beat another top ten team in our bowl game, and finished the season ranked #5.

Everything many of us believed about Arkansas football had been proven true.  Nutt was a mediocre coach who was holding the program back.  We really COULD be among the nation's best...if we had great coaching.  The so-called obstacles...the recruiting disadvantages, all of them...were nothing more than excuses for a lack of outstanding coaching.  All the claims that "we aren't going to find anyone better" were exposed as bull.  The real truth was that we weren't going to excel as a program doing the same thing over and over and hoping things would change.

Hope isn't a plan of action.  We wasted a decade, not only for the program but right out of the middle of many of our own lives, letting the PTB, the media, and the gullible carry on with the hope that our coach would somehow have the stars align perfectly so that he could win big and prove them right.
Excellent...cosign......looks like history is going to repeat doesn't it.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 26, 2016, 08:55:39 am

Louisville has a fan board, why don't you go find it. BP would have done nothing here without the blind luck of being here 18-19 years after Childs, Adams, Gragg, Wright, Bequette, RM, TW, Hamilton were all born. Just happened to arrive right when the greatest class of skill position players that this state has ever and likely will ever produce ( I mean a town of 4000 had 3 nfl draft picks in one class, how often does that happen ).

I used to think you were a good poster, now, not so much. You ignore so much of what went into 21-5 ( oh yea which brought no titles, and no better recruiting than usual ) to try to glorify a morally bankrupt, lying piece of human garbage, who did nothing but dump all over the program you profess to care so much about, that it is laughable.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on October 26, 2016, 09:26:25 am
Louisville has a fan board, why don't you go find it. BP would have done nothing here without the blind luck of being here 18-19 years after Childs, Adams, Gragg, Wright, Bequette, RM, TW, Hamilton were all born. Just happened to arrive right when the greatest class of skill position players that this state has ever and likely will ever produce ( I mean a town of 4000 had 3 nfl draft picks in one class, how often does that happen ).

Not advocating for Petrino, but people who use this argument make me chuckle.

That argument has been held as Gospel for years. The reality is you people have absolutely 0 clue how Petrino would've done without that crew. Yeah, they were amazing. Yeah, they fell into his lap.

But the group that almost holds it as a fact that Petrino wouldn't have done what he did? That's laughable. There is absolutely, positively 0 way to prove it. It is nothing but conjecture and speculation.

It's the same as how "bare he left the cupboard." Just because Bielema couldn't do much with Petrino's recruits, doesn't mean Petrino couldn't have done something with them. On the converse, Petrino may not could do with Bielema's current recruits what Bielema does.

But to hold it as a fact that Petrino would have done nothing without those guys or "left the cupboard bare" is just laughable. No matter how you want to believe what would've happened, we have 0 clue.

If Bielema is gone after next year, and the following coach runs a completely different system and goes 4-8, everyone will be saying "well hell, Bret left the cupboard bare," when in reality he may not have.

Redhogs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 26, 2016, 09:32:31 am
Not advocating for Petrino, but people who use this argument make me chuckle.

That argument has been held as Gospel for years. The reality is you people have absolutely 0 clue how Petrino would've done without that crew. Yeah, they were amazing. Yeah, they fell into his lap.

But the group that almost holds it as a fact that Petrino wouldn't have done what he did? That's laughable. There is absolutely, positively 0 way to prove it. It is nothing but conjecture and speculation.

It's the same as how "bare he left the cupboard." Just because Bielema couldn't do much with Petrino's recruits, doesn't mean Petrino couldn't have done something with them. On the converse, Petrino may not could do with Bielema's current recruits what Bielema does.

But to hold it as a fact that Petrino would have done nothing without those guys or "left the cupboard bare" is just laughable. No matter how you want to believe what would've happened, we have 0 clue.

If Bielema is gone after next year, and the following coach runs a completely different system and goes 4-8, everyone will be saying "well hell, Bret left the cupboard bare," when in reality he may not have.
Good post....thing is CBP has done the same thing at LV in just about the same time frame...just plain dumb luck again I guess....personally, I think we need another CBP that can stay away from volleyball players and off Harleys but that's just me. CBB is not even in the same galaxie as CBP when it comes to coaching and understanding the game of football...he's not the social worker BB is though, can't argue that.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

IntegrityHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 26, 2016, 09:26:25 am

I used to think you were a good poster, now, not so much. You ignore so much of what went into 21-5 ( oh yea which brought no titles, and no better recruiting than usual ) to try to glorify a morally bankrupt, lying piece of human garbage, who did nothing but dump all over the program you profess to care so much about, that it is laughable.

Right on.  I'd love to see how many other Rose Bowl-winning coaches would be willing to come here if we ever caned CBB.

RME

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 26, 2016, 09:55:08 am
Right on.  I'd love to see how many other Rose Bowl-winning coaches would be willing to come here if we ever caned CBB.

Who's the first?