Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something to think about regarding BB

Started by Lake City Hog, October 23, 2016, 09:27:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 23, 2016, 11:44:56 pm
It is a tad bit naive to conclude that a coach is really worried about $$. They are simply feeding the ego and giving wifey playing money. What they really want is security to go do their thing and not to constantly look over their shoulders (go ask Mike Gundy at OSU about that).

Thus, you get contracts that match the others at the table during media days in Hoover and long-term guarantees so that you don't recruit against "not being the HC."

Okla...I wanted to ask you this question. What do you think about a coach who falls asleep during film time?

Thanks

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: thefisher on October 24, 2016, 04:04:24 am

CBB clearly has it headed in the right direction.  Have you actually noticed the "results" in  wins progressions?

2013 - 3-9
2014 - 7-6
2015 - 8-5
2016 - currently 5-3 with a reasonably good chance to meet/surpass last years total wins.

In addition CBB is still currently on an 11-4 run with the first ever in school history back to back bowl wins.

Evidently you may not understand what the word "results" means.

A 53 point beat down in year 4 isn't progress

PRJ

hoghiker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 08:26:34 am

Arkansas has always been an underdog.  We were able to recruit somewhat well in a few instances when Frank had us winning and had a great staff.  But we were still not on the level of Texas recruiting.  This was 40 years ago.  Now we are in a division with 4 programs who can recruit on that "Longhorn" level we once faced.  It isn't unique to one coach.  It isn't solvable for the most part.  We aren't going to win in February. 
This. Auburn has recruited as well as anyone outside of Bama in the SEC. I'd bet a buck Aubie plays Bama pretty close. I'm disappointed in Saturday's results. I think BB has his limitations and I'm not sure he knows what they are. (gotta know your limitations, right) but I'm pretty sure replacing BB with a better coach would be more difficult than most think. Who? Honestly. Been a Hog fan longer than most fans on this board. I remember watching every Arkansas season since early in Broyles era.  Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. It's gotten harder-not easier.  The expectation that we're going to compete regularly for a natty is from where. The sixties. With a few outside shots in a very few limited  years. The Cubs and the Indians in the world series. I love it. Don't happen very often. Same with the Hogs. It might happen but the stars would have to align  during a blue moon.

Lake City Hog

Guys, I'm glad to see some discussion on this subject. But, many of you might have missed the point that I was trying to make.

I think that without the guidance that Barry MAY have provided BB has made some fairly rash decisions. And, it may take him a few more seasons to balance the HC being helped and the HC standing alone thing.

I agree that it takes time to build depth, but I think that the most important factor in building depth is making it a priority. I will NEVER be convinced that you build depth without redshirting.

For example, after this season we will have 3 players left on the roster from BB's 1st class.
His 2014 class has 8 players already gone and if Ragnow stays 8 players from that class will be Seniors. That means that his 1st class will have 3 redshirt seniors and his 2014 class will have 8 redshirt seniors.

You cannot build depth with 8 redshirt seniors in a class. Neither can you build depth without giving the underclassmen game reps when they are available. I think that these may well have been the things that Barry helped BB to focus on at Wisconsin.

hogginbama

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 11:07:42 pm
Not entirely true about maintaining.  But the program was built up by Alvarez.  I'm guessing Bielema saw Arkansas as a similar opportunity for him as an Iowa-like program where he could be like his mentors Fry and Alvarez.  It was a bad career risk as he miscalculated several things. 

I think his big miscalculation was that Arkansas fans would be patient enough to build a program into a long-term success instead of a 4-5 year flash in the pan. To build and develop the type of depth needed you have to have more than 3-4 recruiting classes. Many of you fail to realize that there will be major set-backs along the way, and while tragic in nature of football, they are not tragic to the overall plan.

Posters above have talked about why are freshmen playing. Last year and this year many were criticizing because he refused to play the better player if they were not an upper class-man. Can't have it both ways, either you put the best you have at the time on the field or you red-shirt and develop for next year.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogginbama on October 24, 2016, 06:10:54 pm
I think his big miscalculation was that Arkansas fans would be patient enough to build a program into a long-term success instead of a 4-5 year flash in the pan. To build and develop the type of depth needed you have to have more than 3-4 recruiting classes. Many of you fail to realize that there will be major set-backs along the way, and while tragic in nature of football, they are not tragic to the overall plan.

Posters above have talked about why are freshmen playing. Last year and this year many were criticizing because he refused to play the better player if they were not an upper class-man. Can't have it both ways, either you put the best you have at the time on the field or you red-shirt and develop for next year.

Great post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

thefisher

Good post and some nice insight.  You may well be right about the miscalculation of the fan base patience.

However, fortunately for the long term progress of the Hogs nothing is dependent on the long term patience of the fan base.  It is determined upon the long term patience and vision of the AD and BOT.  Again, they fortunately have a better understanding of the time frame and type individual needed to right the ship and recreate what had become the toxic culture of Arkansas football.  For that reason CBB has been given 6 years.  He has two more after his one.  I am confident the clear hard data progress that has been made will continue and improve.

Once we are there the nimrods that are beechen on here all the time will be on the wagon saying they were with CBB all the time.

The dogs bark but the wagon train keeps on rolling.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 24, 2016, 12:03:18 am
How often did BB have to play 7 or 8 ranked teams on a yearly basis while he was at Wi? This isn't an excuse. It's a reality.

exactly, he would have had a bad record and not have been considered for thei job.  The pumpers alsways leaves that part out
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

thefisher

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 24, 2016, 06:33:03 pm
exactly, he would have had a bad record and not have been considered for thei job.  The pumpers alsways leaves that part out

He had a better record against the SEC West than CBP did
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Atlhogfan1

I agree.  Others were recruiting to Arkansas compared to our competition, the tactics of some of our recruiting competitors, the condition of the program, etc.  I understand why he left Wisc but not for this job at the time he wanted it.

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 24, 2016, 06:33:03 pm

Your theory has a hole in it however in that Wisconsin does not recruit as well as Arkansas.  It fits in the B1G.  He beat teams who had equal or a little better recr opportunities. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.