Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Markuson

Started by Randy Cavender, October 23, 2016, 09:26:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Cavender

"Markuson debuted as the offensive line coach for the Wisconsin Badgers in January 2012, but was fired on September 9, 2012 after just two games, including a 10-7 loss to the Oregon State Beavers."

So, why are not some heads rolling not at Arkansas. Seems CBB isn't afraid of firing a coach during a season.

ricepig

Quote from: rhogcaveman on October 23, 2016, 09:26:37 pm
"Markuson debuted as the offensive line coach for the Wisconsin Badgers in January 2012, but was fired on September 9, 2012 after just two games, including a 10-7 loss to the Oregon State Beavers."

So, why are not some heads rolling not at Arkansas. Seems CBB isn't afraid of firing a coach during a season.

Maybe because he doesn't think any need to?

Bubba's Bruisers

Different circumstances I suppose.  I think BB's seat was a little warmer his last couple years at WI.  Might have been more motivated.  Plus, it was Markuson.  Makes complete sense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jcharkansas

Probably can't get anyone else...

Razorbackers

Because the offensive line coach has a defensive tackle and a grad transfer starting as guards, and another first year starter at tackle. He is not responsible for the talent. Scheme-wise...idk, I guess Bret likes his schemes on paper. Clearly they aren't working though.

31to6

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 23, 2016, 09:33:30 pm
Because the offensive line coach has a defensive tackle and a grad transfer starting as guards, and another first year starter at tackle. He is not responsible for the talent. Scheme-wise...idk, I guess Bret likes his schemes on paper. Clearly they aren't working though.
The OL failures are not Kurt Anderson's fault alone. Indeed, I don't know if any expectations are reasonable. He might be coaching his ass off and it just doesn't matter because we only have 2 people who should be starting.

The complete failure on defense is much more concerning. I just don't think our DC is very effective. Time for a battlefield promotion.

Razorbackers

Quote from: 31to6 on October 23, 2016, 09:41:50 pm
The OL failures are not Kurt Anderson's fault alone. Indeed, I don't know if any expectations are reasonable. He might be coaching his ass off and it just doesn't matter because we only have 2 people who should be starting.

The complete failure on defense is much more concerning. I just don't think our DC is very effective. Time for a battlefield promotion.

Smith has got to go, and I consider myself a rational person. He returned 9 of the 11 starters off last years unit (and replace one of those guys with Agim so there shouldn't be a huge drop) and the pass rush hasn't improved and the run defense has regressed. The only thing I've noticed real improvement in is in the pass defense of the corners, who are playing more aggressive. But even then, the safeties get out of position all the time.

Anderson is coaching with a unit that is what Pittman/Bielema left him. I can't throw a lot of blame on him. But this is Smith's 3rd year, I believe. He's got to go.

daprospecta

I played when Coach Markuson was on the hill.  He demanded a lot out of his O-line.  I know that because I played D-line and he would get in a player's ass for taking plays off etc.  Not saying it fielded results but he gave a damn, I can tell you that.

Danny J

I could see us re-assigning Segrest but that's about it. I am not sure CBB sees a problem and that in and of itself is a problem. We will see Monday or at the end of the year. I still think k we can beat UF with a healthy AA

hhousewps

Quote from: Danny J on October 23, 2016, 10:44:56 pm
I could see us re-assigning Segrest but that's about it. I am not sure CBB sees a problem and that in and of itself is a problem. We will see Monday or at the end of the year. I still think k we can beat UF with a healthy AA

I hope we re-assign him to something like janitor. To say our D-Line coaching has been awful would be a huge understatement.

Justifiable Hogicide

BroyledNutts

Quote from: daprospecta on October 23, 2016, 10:39:21 pm
I played when Coach Markuson was on the hill.  He demanded a lot out of his O-line.  I know that because I played D-line and he would get in a player's ass for taking plays off etc.  Not saying it fielded results but he gave a damn, I can tell you that.

Since you have a level of experience on the field...would you be willing to give your opinion about what is, and more importantly, is not, happening on the field with our Oline and our defense?

I'd really be interested in hearing a breakdown from you on what you're seeing from a former player's perspective. PM me if you're not comfortable posting your thoughts.

Oklahawg

Quote from: daprospecta on October 23, 2016, 10:39:21 pm

I don't think that the coaches aren't coaching to the best of their ability, or the players on the OL are not giving it their all.

I think my conclusion is simply that CBB felt there was a magic combination but it never appeared. When it came down to decision time they opted for a bizarre combination of starters that did not feature the best run or the best pass blockers, but instead a combination of the two. They then had to stick with the starting five to try and gel them together (didn't work) and the playbook was already set up in its (too complicated) demands for the OL to execute.

CBB does pull the trigger on assistants, but tends to let them land on their feet elsewhere first. I bet Robb Smith doesn't get this courtesy.

I can see three defensive scenarios that are equally viable:
1. Robb Smith is fired or is reassigned off-the-field early this week
2. Robb Smith is demoted and Paul Rhoads takes over
3. CBB takes over the defense himself.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

FANONTHEHILL has a son on the OL, I believe. If I am getting all my ducks in a row the consensus is that Anderson is a great motivator, a natural recruiter, and an able teacher...he is just green and needs time to work with the players.

The OL was set up from last spring to be a potential disaster. That Allen is still playing and that we have a winning record is somewhat amazing, actually.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LZH

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 23, 2016, 09:32:56 pm
Different circumstances I suppose.  I think BB's seat was a little warmer his last couple years at WI.  Might have been more motivated.  Plus, it was Markuson.  Makes complete sense.

Could be that Alvarez may have "suggested" a change, too. BB may have stated that his reason for leaving Wisconsin was to build his own program, but that may be code for 'Alvarez is overbearing'.

hoghearted

Quote from: BroyledNutts on October 24, 2016, 12:13:43 am
Since you have a level of experience on the field...would you be willing to give your opinion about what is, and more importantly, is not, happening on the field with our Oline and our defense?

I'd really be interested in hearing a breakdown from you on what you're seeing from a former player's perspective. PM me if you're not comfortable posting your thoughts.

ditto
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 24, 2016, 12:18:50 am
I don't think that the coaches aren't coaching to the best of their ability, or the players on the OL are not giving it their all.

I think my conclusion is simply that CBB felt there was a magic combination but it never appeared. When it came down to decision time they opted for a bizarre combination of starters that did not feature the best run or the best pass blockers, but instead a combination of the two. They then had to stick with the starting five to try and gel them together (didn't work) and the playbook was already set up in its (too complicated) demands for the OL to execute.

CBB does pull the trigger on assistants, but tends to let them land on their feet elsewhere first. I bet Robb Smith doesn't get this courtesy.

There is another option:

4.  Robb Smith continues on at DC with no changes.

However, what's most troubling to me is what has been overheard on the sidelines.  The players are bickering between each other, offense blaming defense, defense blaming offense, etc. etc...and, the most troubling, they are bad mouthing their coaches.  There is a growing number of players that simply no longer believe that what they are doing is going to be successful. 
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hoghearted

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 24, 2016, 09:35:25 am
There is another option:

However, what's most troubling to me is what has been overheard on the sidelines.  The players are bickering between each other, offense blaming defense, defense blaming offense, etc. etc...and, the most troubling, they are bad mouthing their coaches.  There is a growing number of players that simply no longer believe that what they are doing is going to be successful. 

If all that's true, that's the kiss of death.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Sivad

Whew, thought the craziness had reached a crescendo and somebody was calling for Mike Markuson to be hired.
The MSMafia stink still lingers.

Jim Harris

If you knew Markuson, you'd know why Bielema fired him.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

razoredge178

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 23, 2016, 09:33:30 pm

This might be an OK defense if it weren't for the fact that BB pumps 10+ scholarships into that O line every year.

The OTR

this thread could be a classic

Razorbackers

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 24, 2016, 09:48:02 am
This might be an OK defense if it weren't for the fact that BB pumps 10+ scholarships into that O line every year.

Literally not true. That's why we have a grad transfer and a DT on the offensive line.

rickm1976

Quote from: Sivad on October 24, 2016, 09:44:30 am
Whew, thought the craziness had reached a crescendo and somebody was calling for Mike Markuson to be hired.
The MSMafia stink still lingers.

Me too, and that wouldn't have surprised me all that much if someone on here were suggesting that very thing.

jackflash

I look for a change at DC and DL are the season

DeltaBoy

We need some change with in the D wither it change in Tech or scheme or staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razoredge178

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 24, 2016, 09:52:51 am
Literally not true. That's why we have a grad transfer and a DT on the offensive line.

Which tells you how bad off we are when we've got 20+ scholarship O lineman riding pine.

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 24, 2016, 12:10:51 pm
Which tells you how bad off we are when we've got 20+ scholarship O lineman riding pine.
Yeah, except we only have 17 total OL, with 5 being walkons.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 12:19:40 pm
Yeah, except we only have 17 total OL, with 5 being walkons.

We have a heck of a lot more than 17 OL players that we've recruited, that are eligible for call up.

RazrRila99

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 24, 2016, 12:22:08 pm
We have a heck of a lot more than 17 OL players that we've recruited, that are eligible for call up.

Trying to not feed the trolls but we have 17 O-Line on roster:
1 Sr - Skipper
4 Jr - Raulerson (Grad Trans), Ragnow, Deion Malone (JuCo, redshirt?), Paul Ramirez (JuCo, Redshirt?)
6 So - Wallace, Froholdt (first season on Offense), Gibson, Jake Hall, Hannah (wo?), Rogers
3 RFr - Sone, Colton Jackson (had started previously), Jalen Merrick (in the mix)
3 Fr - Heinrich, Tyler Hall, Dylan Hays (all redshirting)

So of that list, who replaces whom?  This my friend is a lack of recruiting from the OL coach, either not caring, not closing, or just not doing it. 

So that said I look for next years line to be LIGHT years ahead of this years, and 2018 to be even stouter than 2017. 

Redhogs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 24, 2016, 09:35:25 am
There is another option:

Extremely disturbing...and if true...they might not win again this season.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 24, 2016, 12:22:08 pm

Please find them on here.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

RazrRila99

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 12:44:04 pm
Please find them on here.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

I made it even easier for the "bridge watchers."  Maybe he was looking at/thinking about DL (18 heads there)?

Athog

cosmodrum

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2016, 12:42:50 pm
Extremely disturbing...and if true...they might not win again this season.

Yeah, if that's true, all hope is lost. Once the players lose faith in the coach(es), that's it.
Go away, batin'

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 24, 2016, 12:18:50 am

Or 4.  CBB already has identified someone he's waiting on to hire as the new DC at the end of year and he's hoping to get through the next two games without having to fire CRS mid season. 

daprospecta

Quote from: BroyledNutts on October 24, 2016, 12:13:43 am

I can't really speak to the offense but I am surprised other O-Lineman haven't gotten a chance.  When I played, you only got so many chances until you were deemed not ready and someone else would get a chance.  As for the defense, I feel like they are missing a leader that leads by example.  A player that plays with reckless abandon(legal play of course) and is willing to put his body on the line for the team so to speak.  Butu was that kind of guy when I played. He practiced hard and he played hard.  Playing alongside a guy like that motivates players.  Martrell Spaight seemed to be guy but I don't think we've had another player like that since. Last thing is I'm surprised so many players give up or quit on plays.  People say what they want about Reggie Herring but he didn't allow "Loafs".  He would make GA's watch practice/game film and every time a player jogged to a play etc, that was one up/down after practice. Needless to say, after having to do tons everyday, that was no longer a problem. 

Tim Harris

Didn't they wait until the bye week to make Kirkland and Skipper starters during their freshman year? 

Right now we got our ass handed to us.  That happens at times.  I don't like it but as long as they attempt to fix things then I can accept it.  If we run the same OL and defense out there against Florida then it will be tough to not question their decisions.

daprospecta

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 24, 2016, 02:27:27 pm
Didn't they wait until the bye week to make Kirkland and Skipper starters during their freshman year? 

Right now we got our ass handed to us.  That happens at times.  I don't like it but as long as they attempt to fix things then I can accept it.  If we run the same OL and defense out there against Florida then it will be tough to not question their decisions.
This.  Mistakes are made. We are all human but when are we going to try to fix the mistakes.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 24, 2016, 02:27:27 pm

They started the aTm game after the Rutgers loss.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 24, 2016, 09:47:13 am

Would you please expand on this? It is a great mystery to me why CBB fired CMM so suddenly. I thought CMM was a pretty good coach. He stitched some OL's together, with walk on's and 2 stars that played pretty salty.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

hawgfan4life

Wow!  No wonder our OL struggles so much.  Skipper is the only SR and he has some weaknesses in his play for a SR.  Only 2 JRs of which one is a first year player that showed up late.  Combined with a new coach and...

We are playing elite players with a JV squad.  AR has NEVER had great offenses without a senior laden OL.  This is a bigger rebuilding year than I realized.

hawgfan4life

I will save critics their reply.  Yes!  Not excusable in year 4.  However, it is what it is for whatever reasons.  MA had a nightmare recruiting year and a down season after 4 years and seems to have recruiting on a high level and a team ready to compete.  I'm content to see what BB does in another year and the rest of this season.

HogBreath

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet link=topic=6200  There is a growing number of players that simply no longer believe that what they are doing is going to be successful. 
/quote]

Wonder if they came to that conclusion before or after the Auburn game?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

devildoghawg

The problems we have are not with our coaches, the problem is with the level of talent in the roster.  Coaching can only get you so far, and if you were watching Saturday, it was obvious that the players felt like they were outmatched after the second TD.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HogBreath on October 24, 2016, 10:39:51 pm
[quote author=Ex-Trumpet link=topic=6200  There is a growing number of players that simply no longer believe that what they are doing is going to be successful. 

Wonder if they came to that conclusion before or after the Auburn game?

Report I got was during/after aTm.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 24, 2016, 10:50:25 pm
The problems we have are not with our coaches, the problem is with the level of talent in the roster.  Coaching can only get you so far, and if you were watching Saturday, it was obvious that the players felt like they were outmatched after the second TD.

Horse feathers. It is coaching. If it is level of talent, it is on the coaches. Tired of this level of talent excuse. We slept walked thru La Tech, TCU is becoming more and more exposed. Ole miss, exposed, think their talent level is beneath ours? Nope....Freeze can't coach either..

4 years....4 years and you are telling me that we can't have a competent O line? That is on the coaches, plain and simple. And it ain't just the O line...it is the defense also. Again, all the players fault? Nope, not buying it. I have been told by Bret about what a fine recruiting class we have, I have been told what a great defense he has, the best he has ever coached...at what point do you finally realize you have been hoodwinked? Did the thousands of flies in that corner bedroom window not give it away for you?

Enough with its the players fault. Their own head coach said they were great...

Now...whose shoulders does it fall on again?

PRJ

pigture perfect

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 24, 2016, 09:47:13 am
I do know Markuson and I don't understand your statement. I won't comment on his coaching skills, but I've found him to be a thoughtful and compassionate guy. Does a good deal of charity work with us.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

lechon

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 24, 2016, 11:40:53 pm
I do know Markuson and I don't understand your statement. I won't comment on his coaching skills, but I've found him to be a thoughtful and compassionate guy. Does a good deal of charity work with us.

Thanks for the comment Houston
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Rocket23

It had as much to do with off-the-field as on-the-field I was told.