Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Wisdom of Jeff's Plan

Started by IntegrityHog, October 23, 2016, 08:37:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IntegrityHog

Quote from: sigpooie on October 24, 2016, 09:01:03 am
For God's sake  please stop saying it's different , We are not that different and are failing to achieve what we want. Ark is not a poor house to the  rest of the world. We are not without players , We are not behind the curve on football knowledge or ability. We just have the wrong people running the ship. The are steering us toward Vandi more that BAMA. I say we get the carpetbagger first.

Jeff and Bret aren't going anywhere.  Not sure about Jeff's buyout, but we couldn't afford Bret's buyout even if we wanted to, and we don't.

jimmur74

Let me just say something. We just got our you know what handed to us on a platter!!!
Its pathetic!! When you get paid 4 million per this is failure plain and simple. Bielema is not recruiting to Nutts or Petrinos level. Also
im sick of the Pharisee type approach to
Bobby Petrinos tenure. Petrino took Arkansas to heights never seen while in the SEC. He is by far the best coach we have had since joining the SEC.

Oh and calling petrino the Liar is laughable.
We get our tails kicked 56-3 and Bielema runs out " we had a good week of preparation"  Wow what Garbage!!!

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 23, 2016, 08:37:22 pm
So, looking at the threads today, people are understandly disappointed in the game yesterday.  I've made my support of the program clear in my posts, and wanted to maybe offer a little "big picture" perspective, since there is a lot of focus on on a single game.

Jeff promised CBB 6 years when he took the job back in 2012, and offerred a contract and buyout to proove his committment.  He was looking at the "long game" - how the program would develop and advance over the years.  Here are some components of this plan that might help us to have this perspective as well:

1.  Stability.  When CBB arrived, the program was in flames.  Petrino had recruited poorly, and we were heading for a crash even before Harely-gate.  The The Liar disgraced himself by hiring his mistress, which had the effect of burning the program to the ground.  Then Bozo arrived and spread napalm on the ashes.  CBB inherited a program in complete disarray.  It was (and is) of paramount importantce that he re-stabilize things.  He has made great strides in this area, but the damage was worse than we thought, and it is taking longer than expected.  However long it takes, though, this program **must** have stability if it is going to grow.  We'll never have this if we change coaches every few years.

2.  Player development.  Jeff also knew that CBB would develop his players into oustanding young men, not just athletes.  You have seen the team GPA and APR rise to record levels, and player arrests have been minimal.  You frequently hear stories about how the parents of incoming players love CBB and view him as a second father.  This is another key component to Jeff's plan.

3.  Development of the U of A's brand.  Closely related to #2 above is Jeff's vision for reparing and enhancing the U of A's brand and reputation.  The Liar did tremendous damage and hurt our image badly.  By terminating him with extreme prejudice, Jeff showed that we value integrity and a clean program over wins, and this has earned us boo-koos of respect nationwide.  We are recruting good kids who stay out of trouble, which further enhances our brand.  We are becoming known as a great place for young boys to learn and grow as they become men.

4.  Recalibrating fan expections.  After witnessing the fans' over-the-top antics with getting Coach Nutt fired, and also the level of hubris that was building during The Liar's 3rd and 4th seasons, Jeff selected a coach that would gradually re-build our program, rather than provide a quick fix.  This was designed to help align fans expectations with reality, since we historically can't compete with the best teams in the league, and The Liar's 3rd and 4thg seasons were outliers that had irrationally raised expectations to unrealistic levels.  It has also helped to cut down on the shameful behavior we saw during Nutt's tenure (not conding what Nutt did, but no sitting coach should ever have to endure banners and other embarrasing antics).

5.  Maximizing revenues.  This is probably Jeff's single greatest accomplishment - monetizing many new aspects of the fan experience to push revenues to levels never before seen.  He also had influence (indirectly) with enhancing the SEC brand as Chairman of the College Footbal Playoffs, which led to more exposure, better TV deals, and ultimately more money through revenue-sharing.  And of course, there is the upcoming expansion of high-dollar suites and club-level seating, which will further tap the well-healed donors who are essential to a successful program.

Are we upset about last night?  Sure, you bet.  But if we look at the big picture, the future has never been brighter.  We are trending in the right direction, and I bet at the end of that 6th season, most of the fans grumbling on here today will be glad that Jeff had the long-term vision to give CBB the time he needed to be successful.  Go Hogs!

ricepig

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 24, 2016, 07:40:49 am
OK -  once and for all:

Do "stars" matter? Or only when they work in our favor to make a point?

I keep hearing that "stars" don't matter in recruiting when someone is rated low in our class. Which is it?

I don't know, ask Surf, he's the one disparaged our commits.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: LJHOG on October 24, 2016, 08:55:19 am
Jeff's Plan = mediocrity.  Personally I'm sick of being mediocre.  Open up a slush fund and go buy some players.  I don't care if we get them out of the county jails.  The only thing uncommon around this program is winning games.

Don't you remember how much trouble we got in with the Ted Harrod deal?  We aren't Ole Miss or Bama - we would get hammered by the NCAA if we ever did this.

hehawg

It's a little amusing after a beat down like what we all witnessed that you believe "the future has never been brighter". Believe it or not young kids make decisions based off of things they witness on tv. Do you honestly feel like the UofA brand is something these young athletes want to be a part of? I mean even YOU said we CAN'T compete with the best teams in the league. At the end of the day it's all about the money nothing more nothing less. No need for expansion if that type of mentality is floating around because this program will become stagnant.
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

ricepig

Quote from: hehawg on October 24, 2016, 03:38:05 pm
It's a little amusing after a beat down like what we all witnessed that you believe "the future has never been brighter". Believe it or not young kids make decisions based off of things they witness on tv. Do you honestly feel like the UofA brand is something these young athletes want to be a part of? I mean even YOU said we CAN'T compete with the best teams in the league. At the end of the day it's all about the money nothing more nothing less. No need for expansion if that type of mentality is floating around because this program will become stagnant.

There's been a waiting list for 10 years on suites, it'll be built and filled.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 24, 2016, 03:24:14 pm
Don't you remember how much trouble we got in with the Ted Harrod deal?  We aren't Ole Miss or Bama - we would get hammered by the NCAA if we ever did this.

You are too funny, Integrity!! You have definitely made me chuckle after that unfortunate loss Saturday, so thanks.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hehawg

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 03:40:51 pm
There's been a waiting list for 10 years on suites, it'll be built and filled.

I hope it is and stays full. If things don't get steady, and on the right track your devoted fans will eventually get tired of the same thing year in year out. I along with others are not going to drive 4+ hours to watch a disaster like we seen this past weekend. There's no excuse for it...none
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 04:03:41 pm
Pointing out facts isn't disparaging anyone.  Go back and read it again.
I noted who they have offers from other than Arkansas. 

Sorry if the facts bother you... they bother me too.

I used those facts to form a response to a statement made about our recruiting of the OL. 

So, to the question he asked, do stars matter? You know I said the starting o-line was all 4*, correct?

ricepig

Quote from: hehawg on October 24, 2016, 04:07:08 pm
I hope it is and stays full. If things don't get steady, and on the right track your devoted fans will eventually get tired of the same thing year in year out. I along with others are not going to drive 4+ hours to watch a disaster like we seen this past weekend. There's no excuse for it...none

It hasn't changed in years, we sellout at about the same level as we normally do. There's a lot of us who are alums, and we support the team every year, and we continually do so. Oh, I drive 4 1/2 hours to Fayetteville.

hehawg

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 04:13:06 pm
It hasn't changed in years, we sellout at about the same level as we normally do. There's a lot of us who are alums, and we support the team every year, and we continually do so. Oh, I drive 4 1/2 hours to Fayetteville.

There are alot more people who support the hogs than "alums". I'm not interested in arguing with anyone just simply voicing an opinion.
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

ricepig

Quote from: hehawg on October 24, 2016, 04:23:59 pm

There are alot more people who support the hogs than "alums". I'm not interested in arguing with anyone just simply voicing an opinion.

Which is all you are doing, lol.

Hawgar The Horrible

I've got a better plan. If you don't like the product quit donating to the foundation, attending games and buying Razorback merchandise. That is best way I know of to ensure you have no voice in the matter.

I can say that on Hogville knowing most of the blow hards here are nothing more than t-shirt fans, irrelevant to the bottom dollar in the first place.

Worried about your ROI? Then quit already and shut up. 
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 07:32:57 am
Our starting O-line are all 4* with multiple offers from everyone, how do you rate them?

Truth. That has a lot to do with why I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking "what is Bielema's real problem". Have we mis-evaluated that many kids or is it coaching? Like I said yesterday, before the Ole Miss game you could see that a horrible game was coming. It seemed inevitable.

I understand that you do recruit your problems. But as I have said before, you can't recruit a bunch of Mennonites and expect them to compete with kids that grew up on cornbread and turnip greens. What works in the corn fields up north doesn't necessarily work in the cotton fields down here. We need to get us some men.

Also, it is pretty ridiculous to call for BB's job right now. Unless he completely loses the team and we totally tank the rest of the season, it would be a bad and hasty decision to run him off in December....not to mention expensive.

Smith is going to have to be sacrificed, and probably one or two others. That is just how it works. For whatever reason we have not developed the players that big boy has recruited in the trenches....the very area that he is supposed to be so good at.

Regardless of what the sunshine and rainbows crowd thinks, Bielema set his own program (and what he had accomplished to date) back considerably with that mess we saw Saturday night.

The next few weeks will determine the future of this program for the next half decade or more.

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 04:10:15 pm
So, to the question he asked, do stars matter? You know I said the starting o-line was all 4*, correct?
So it's coaching or bad evaluations by the services and the staff?

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoglady

Quote from: LZH on October 24, 2016, 05:12:52 pm
Truth. That has a lot to do with why I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking "what is Bielema's real problem". Have we mis-evaluated that many kids or is it coaching? Like I said yesterday, before the Ole Miss game you could see that a horrible game was coming. It seemed inevitable.

I understand that you do recruit your problems. But as I have said before, you can't recruit a bunch of Mennonites and expect them to compete with kids that grew up on cornbread and turnip greens. What works in the corn fields up north doesn't necessarily work in the cotton fields down here. We need to get us some men.

Also, it is pretty ridiculous to call for BB's job right now. Unless he completely loses the team and we totally tank the rest of the season, it would be a bad and hasty decision to run him off in December....not to mention expensive.

Smith is going to have to be sacrificed, and probably one or two others. That is just how it works. For whatever reason we have not developed the players that big boy has recruited in the trenches....the very area that he is supposed to be so good at.

Regardless of what the sunshine and rainbows crowd thinks, Bielema set his own program (and what he had accomplished to date) back considerably with that mess we saw Saturday night.

The next few weeks will determine the future of this program for the next half decade or more.

Nice post.
I get what you're saying / recruiting kids suited to Big Ten ball just isn't going to work in the SEC.
But I always thought no matter what - Bielema's teams would be tough as nails and competitors no matter what - they would be strong and determined. Not seeing that in this team - that's the most disappointing. Our lines are getting whipped like pups with no fight in them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: Danny J on October 24, 2016, 05:23:48 pm
So it's coaching or bad evaluations by the services and the staff?

I'm asking the questions, I don't pretend to have the answers.

farmhawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on October 23, 2016, 08:42:56 pm
The original post in this thread is a thing of beauty, one of the better ones I've seen in years.

I concur with its entirety.
Your endorsement says it all.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Cinco de Hogo

The day Zeke endorses something is the day it needs burnt to the ground, just saying!

Wisdom is learned for the experience of watching others learn from experience.  Right now there's nothing good being learned from watching our bad experiences...because there's no wisdom  in the plan.

The Plan started off from a bad idea therefore the data to gain wisdom is faulty.

jkstock04

Quote from: LZH on October 24, 2016, 05:12:52 pm

Great post. Kind of scary.

One thing I will say is I'm of the opinion Frolholdt kind of got thrown to the wolves. Guy may be a 4* but he came here to play d-line and is now playing o-line.

I don't care what kind of spin the media was trying to feed us in the preseason...but when you have d-linemen transitioning late to play O-line? That's not good. It's obvious to even a casual observer we have had some
major whiffs in O-line recruiting. That should be unheard of for a Bret Bielema team.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2016, 05:28:57 pm
I'm asking the questions, I don't pretend to have the answers.
Apparently neither does the staff coaching them. We knew going into the year the O line would be a concern but it's probably a little worse than we thought or at least than I thought it would be. The defense however especially the D line is just bad. The DL and WR'S were thought, hell, guaranteed to be the strength of this team but right now they are as bad as the o line. I am with you...I don't have all the answers but I am not being paid 6 or 7 figures to figure it out. As my Dad always said...I don't want excuses I want results.

farmhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 24, 2016, 05:49:16 pm
The day Zeke endorses something is the day it needs burnt to the ground, just saying!

Wisdom is learned for the experience of watching others learn from experience.  Right now there's nothing good being learned from watching our bad experiences...because there's no wisdom  in the plan.

The Plan started off from a bad idea therefore the data to gain wisdom is faulty.
couldnt agree more.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 23, 2016, 08:37:22 pm
So, looking at the threads today, people are understandly disappointed in the game yesterday.  I've made my support of the program clear in my posts, and wanted to maybe offer a little "big picture" perspective, since there is a lot of focus on on a single game.

Jeff promised CBB 6 years when he took the job back in 2012, and offerred a contract and buyout to proove his committment.  He was looking at the "long game" - how the program would develop and advance over the years.  Here are some components of this plan that might help us to have this perspective as well:

1.  Stability.  When CBB arrived, the program was in flames.  Petrino had recruited poorly, and we were heading for a crash even before Harely-gate.  The The Liar disgraced himself by hiring his mistress, which had the effect of burning the program to the ground.  Then Bozo arrived and spread napalm on the ashes.  CBB inherited a program in complete disarray.  It was (and is) of paramount importantce that he re-stabilize things.  He has made great strides in this area, but the damage was worse than we thought, and it is taking longer than expected.  However long it takes, though, this program **must** have stability if it is going to grow.  We'll never have this if we change coaches every few years.

2.  Player development.  Jeff also knew that CBB would develop his players into oustanding young men, not just athletes.  You have seen the team GPA and APR rise to record levels, and player arrests have been minimal.  You frequently hear stories about how the parents of incoming players love CBB and view him as a second father.  This is another key component to Jeff's plan.

3.  Development of the U of A's brand.  Closely related to #2 above is Jeff's vision for reparing and enhancing the U of A's brand and reputation.  The Liar did tremendous damage and hurt our image badly.  By terminating him with extreme prejudice, Jeff showed that we value integrity and a clean program over wins, and this has earned us boo-koos of respect nationwide.  We are recruting good kids who stay out of trouble, which further enhances our brand.  We are becoming known as a great place for young boys to learn and grow as they become men.

4.  Recalibrating fan expections.  After witnessing the fans' over-the-top antics with getting Coach Nutt fired, and also the level of hubris that was building during The Liar's 3rd and 4th seasons, Jeff selected a coach that would gradually re-build our program, rather than provide a quick fix.  This was designed to help align fans expectations with reality, since we historically can't compete with the best teams in the league, and The Liar's 3rd and 4thg seasons were outliers that had irrationally raised expectations to unrealistic levels.  It has also helped to cut down on the shameful behavior we saw during Nutt's tenure (not conding what Nutt did, but no sitting coach should ever have to endure banners and other embarrasing antics).

5.  Maximizing revenues.  This is probably Jeff's single greatest accomplishment - monetizing many new aspects of the fan experience to push revenues to levels never before seen.  He also had influence (indirectly) with enhancing the SEC brand as Chairman of the College Footbal Playoffs, which led to more exposure, better TV deals, and ultimately more money through revenue-sharing.  And of course, there is the upcoming expansion of high-dollar suites and club-level seating, which will further tap the well-healed donors who are essential to a successful program.

Are we upset about last night?  Sure, you bet.  But if we look at the big picture, the future has never been brighter.  We are trending in the right direction, and I bet at the end of that 6th season, most of the fans grumbling on here today will be glad that Jeff had the long-term vision to give CBB the time he needed to be successful.  Go Hogs!

I think you wrong.  BB was the wrong guy to take us anywhere better than he already has
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

LZH

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 24, 2016, 06:37:22 pm
I think you wrong.  BB was the wrong guy to take us anywhere better than he already has

I think this is a good point. When you hear the coaches in the SEC "live football 24/7", maybe your reaction is "well hell, so do I".

If big boy is drifting off in film study then maybe he overestimated his necessary commitment to what it takes in order to win in this conference.

IntegrityHog, nice post but I see those very items you mention a bit different.

Stability:  When BB arrived, the place was in flames but exactly how it got there could have happened a bit different than you explain.  Petrino did not recruit that poorly as many of his recruits ending up playing well for BB.  In fact considering the scheme they were recruited for, many did pretty well.  As for JL Smith, he was hand picked by AD Long who should have known him well, in fact well enough to know you do not ever never replace a fire and brimstone coach with a loving grandfather approach.  Its no wonder many of the players wanted him, he would stay off their rears and let them goof off.  The players were Kids who you might expect this from but Jeff knew both men and he should have known that it didn't stand a chance in hell of working.  As far as AD Long stabilizing anything, he made it far worse than it had to be by not knowing one of the first things you much know to MANAGE an organization. And secondly, though you do not mention it, there was some coaches out there at different levels from Division II through the NFL that might have been interested in the HC job right after Petrino left but I cannot see anywhere where they were approached.  AD Long's in-experience hurt us bad and greatly added to the de-stabilization of the program in my opinion.

Player Development:  The young men BB has on the team seem to stay out of trouble and I cannot say how their GPA and our APR is doing.  I take it you have knowledge of this.

UofA Brand:  I doubt our Brand was hurt concerning Petrino.  We are not the first nor will we be the last school that has had something of this nature happen, however, we are one of the first to handle it the way we did.  Secondly, I cannot see any difference in how our program is perceived as far as learning and growing.  Many love us, some complain about us and some don't want to come here in the first place.  The respect nationwide idea is very doubtful.  There isn't any school that can afford to boo or laugh at the way Long handled the Petrino situation, but you haven't noticed any other schools following our lead and dismissing their coach for misdeeds far above lying to the AD.  Baylor finally dismissed their HC to sooth over the problems they had when if you apply the Long doctrine, everyone from the President down through the assistant coaches should have been subjected to appearing at a big press conference, where their faults would have been laid out in detail and then they would have been fired without any compensation from the University.  While we get the atta boy you done right mouthing, most don't handle their personal situations like Long handled ours.

Recalibrating the Expectations:  Should not be necessary at 3.5 years in.  6 years is too much to give Vince Lombardi, much less a HC who had won pretty well at Wisconsin until you view the total details of how and when he beat the better teams in conference and then  you understand he is a 6 to 8 win coach year in and year out, depending on the ups and downs of the conference members around him.  Once again, Long showed his in-experience in hiring for that long and giving such a huge buyout clause.  When BB gets through here at Arkansas, the de-stabilization may take years to overcome, due to his scheme, thus his type of recruits.

Maxing Revenues:  Once again, its my opinion, but Jeff being the Chairman of the College Football Playoffs is OK but I doubt it has any effect on the Arkansas brand in any way.  The Football Playoffs simply played off Jeff's integrity image to showcase their next move to make a dollar.  Nothing bad about that and it certainly added to Jeff's resume for the future.  As for TV deals, winning is the single most important thing in getting on TV.  Ratings, I doubt we've received even one TV invite because our AD fired a lying coach or because the Football Gods were using him out to enhance the look of the fairness of the playoffs.

Jeff may have done better than I think here considering he didn't have a winning team to use for promotion.  His belief that we were and at on the right path or at least his appearance to believe that may have encouraged the big pockets to build.  Us being in the SEC made us the money in reality and Frank did that.

Truth is you can get stability and recruit good kids that can win 6 to 8 games with a lot of coaches and at far less cost.  I believe the stability you see, Integrity, will cost us in the long run.  Arkansas expects to win 10 or 11 annually, not 6 to 8.  The truth is about 8 to 10 is reasonable expectations.  We don't expect to get gang raped by anyone but we are. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 23, 2016, 08:49:57 pm
If revenues and graduation are mist important. I should give up my season tickets and arrive early on graduation day for good seats.  They don't charge to get into graduation.

But the tailgating and entertainment is nonexistent.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 12247 on October 24, 2016, 06:53:00 pm

Stability:  When BB arrived, the place was in flames but exactly how it got there could have happened a bit different than you explain.  Petrino did not recruit that poorly as many of his recruits ending up playing well for BB.  In fact considering the scheme they were recruited for, many did pretty well.  As for JL Smith, he was hand picked by AD Long who should have known him well, in fact well enough to know you do not ever never replace a fire and brimstone coach with a loving grandfather approach.  Its no wonder many of the players wanted him, he would stay off their rears and let them goof off.  The players were Kids who you might expect this from but Jeff knew both men and he should have known that it didn't stand a chance in hell of working.  As far as AD Long stabilizing anything, he made it far worse than it had to be by not knowing one of the first things you much know to MANAGE an organization. And secondly, though you do not mention it, there was some coaches out there at different levels from Division II through the NFL that might have been interested in the HC job right after Petrino left but I cannot see anywhere where they were approached.  AD Long's in-experience hurt us bad and greatly added to the de-stabilization of the program in my opinion.

Player Development:  The young men BB has on the team seem to stay out of trouble and I cannot say how their GPA and our APR is doing.  I take it you have knowledge of this.

UofA Brand:  I doubt our Brand was hurt concerning Petrino.  We are not the first nor will we be the last school that has had something of this nature happen, however, we are one of the first to handle it the way we did.  Secondly, I cannot see any difference in how our program is perceived as far as learning and growing.  Many love us, some complain about us and some don't want to come here in the first place.  The respect nationwide idea is very doubtful.  There isn't any school that can afford to boo or laugh at the way Long handled the Petrino situation, but you haven't noticed any other schools following our lead and dismissing their coach for misdeeds far above lying to the AD.  Baylor finally dismissed their HC to sooth over the problems they had when if you apply the Long doctrine, everyone from the President down through the assistant coaches should have been subjected to appearing at a big press conference, where their faults would have been laid out in detail and then they would have been fired without any compensation from the University.  While we get the atta boy you done right mouthing, most don't handle their personal situations like Long handled ours.

Recalibrating the Expectations:  Should not be necessary at 3.5 years in.  6 years is too much to give Vince Lombardi, much less a HC who had won pretty well at Wisconsin until you view the total details of how and when he beat the better teams in conference and then  you understand he is a 6 to 8 win coach year in and year out, depending on the ups and downs of the conference members around him.  Once again, Long showed his in-experience in hiring for that long and giving such a huge buyout clause.  When BB gets through here at Arkansas, the de-stabilization may take years to overcome, due to his scheme, thus his type of recruits.

Maxing Revenues:  Once again, its my opinion, but Jeff being the Chairman of the College Football Playoffs is OK but I doubt it has any effect on the Arkansas brand in any way.  The Football Playoffs simply played off Jeff's integrity image to showcase their next move to make a dollar.  Nothing bad about that and it certainly added to Jeff's resume for the future.  As for TV deals, winning is the single most important thing in getting on TV.  Ratings, I doubt we've received even one TV invite because our AD fired a lying coach or because the Football Gods were using him out to enhance the look of the fairness of the playoffs.

Jeff may have done better than I think here considering he didn't have a winning team to use for promotion.  His belief that we were and at on the right path or at least his appearance to believe that may have encouraged the big pockets to build.  Us being in the SEC made us the money in reality and Frank did that.

Truth is you can get stability and recruit good kids that can win 6 to 8 games with a lot of coaches and at far less cost.  I believe the stability you see, Integrity, will cost us in the long run.  Arkansas expects to win 10 or 11 annually, not 6 to 8.  The truth is about 8 to 10 is reasonable expectations.  We don't expect to get gang raped by anyone but we are.

;D

56-3 is never acceptable.  But you spent all that time to end it with expectations of 10-11 games.  I hope you mean on occasion. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

IntegrityHog

Quote from: 12247 on October 24, 2016, 06:53:00 pm

This is a thoughtful post, and I can respectfully disagree with much of what you wrote.  The one thing that I must strongly dispute is the reputational harm done by The Liar.  We were the laughing stock of the collegiate athletics world, and were even getting coverage on traditional media outlets like CNN.  Jeff responded with the maximum possible response, and even that barely slowed the bleeding.  If we had kept Petrino we would have been excoriated by the media for years.  And don't kid yourself, the NCAA would have found a way to start some kind of investigation in order to make us an "object lesson."