Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the kind of loss...

Started by crayola99, October 23, 2016, 08:25:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

crayola99

that the focus of the fans start moving towards Jeff Long.  There is a small but growing group of fans that are not happy with the state of the program under CBB.  No doubt that grew last night.  But, now, more and more fans, donors, etc will start looking a little more closely at Jeff Long.  His last two hires have been JLS and CBB, when I say CBB I am pointing as much to his buyout as his on the field success. 

Could someone post a comprehensive list of Long's coaching hires, across all sports, since he became AD?  I can't say bc I don't know, but I would bet his track record is not good. 

pccmizuno24

You Know we bid on a dinner at the red tie event with Jeff Long... paid like 7k for it... during the planning process for it he showed what he was all about... and its not the UofA.... we ate the money and said screw it.... alot of the blame is squarely on his shoulders.

RME

Quote from: crayola99 on October 23, 2016, 08:25:46 pm
that the focus of the fans start moving towards Jeff Long.  There is a small but growing group of fans that are not happy with the state of the program under CBB.  No doubt that grew last night.  But, now, more and more fans, donors, etc will start looking a little more closely at Jeff Long.  His last two hires have been JLS and CBB, when I say CBB I am pointing as much to his buyout as his on the field success. 

Could someone post a comprehensive list of Long's coaching hires, across all sports, since he became AD?  I can't say bc I don't know, but I would bet his track record is not good.

Not very good with the Googler machine thing?

hobhog

Fire everybody! The chancellor is next!

ATU HOG

I'd like to see a list of his hires as well.

GoHogs1091

One of his hires is Mike Anderson.  It has been said that he hired Anderson after a group of Nolan's former players met with Long one night at a NWA restaurant and they talked Long into hiring Anderson.

He hired Bielema after Bielema wrote and sent Long a brown nose letter after Long fired Robert Petrino.

That is 2 instances in which an Athletic Director made a hire based on outside external/factor that influenced the decision.

A true, high-quality Athletic Director at the Power 5 Conference FBS level should not allow outside external/factors to influence a hiring decision.

LA Football fan

You act like that is the ONLY reason Long hired these coaches, when in fact, both of them were highly regarded by their peers.  In fact, many in the industry thought CBB coming to Arkansas was a pipe dream at the time.

I think Anderson is going to prove to be a good hire with the recruits he has coming the next few years.   CBB has improved every season heading into this one.  Hasn't proven to be a great hire yet, but everyone, including experienced football followers thought it was a great hire at the time.   It may be a case, like we saw with Anderson, that takes a little longer than we envisioned when hired. 

I thought Anderson would have had a better record overall by now, but the talent level on the teams really wasn't that good from top to bottom, excluding Portis.  He has the talent level on the way up and I expect the wins will follow suit.  CBB has recruited at the level that pretty much every head coach at Arkansas has recruited at over time.   May take him a year or two longer for his recruiting efforts to start paying off like it did Anderson.  It would help if we could have a couple really strong recruiting classes from in state.   One thing about last night, it definitely will cause every coach on staff to rethink player rotations, schemes, and game prep, not to mention reassessing recruiting needs.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 23, 2016, 09:56:35 pm
One of his hires is Mike Anderson.  It has been said that he hired Anderson after a group of Nolan's former players met with Long one night at a NWA restaurant and they talked Long into hiring Anderson.

He hired Bielema after Bielema wrote and sent Long a brown nose letter after Long fired Robert Petrino.

That is 2 instances in which an Athletic Director made a hire based on outside external/factor that influenced the decision.

A true, high-quality Athletic Director at the Power 5 Conference FBS level should not allow outside external/factors to influence a hiring decision.

No choice but to hire Anderson and he got it done.

He didn't hire Bielema because of a letter.  He hired him because of 4 10-12 win seasons, 3 top 10 finishes and 3 straight B1G championships and he for some stupid reason wanted our job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LA Football fan on October 23, 2016, 11:11:51 pm
You act like that is the ONLY reason Long hired these coaches, when in fact, both of them were highly regarded by their peers.  In fact, many in the industry thought CBB coming to Arkansas was a pipe dream at the time.

I think Anderson is going to prove to be a good hire with the recruits he has coming the next few years.   CBB has improved every season heading into this one.  Hasn't proven to be a great hire yet, but everyone, including experienced football followers thought it was a great hire at the time.   It may be a case, like we saw with Anderson, that takes a little longer than we envisioned when hired. 

I thought Anderson would have had a better record overall by now, but the talent level on the teams really wasn't that good from top to bottom, excluding Portis.  He has the talent level on the way up and I expect the wins will follow suit.  CBB has recruited at the level that pretty much every head coach at Arkansas has recruited at over time.   May take him a year or two longer for his recruiting efforts to start paying off like it did Anderson.  It would help if we could have a couple really strong recruiting classes from in state.   One thing about last night, it definitely will cause every coach on staff to rethink player rotations, schemes, and game prep, not to mention reassessing recruiting needs.

Because it didn't make sense for BB to leave Wisconsin for Arkansas.  His reasoning shouldn't have been worth the risk.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

3kgthog

To the best of my knowledge he's only hired MA, JLS, BB, and Chris Bucknam. Only Bucknam has done anything, but you'd have to be the worst coach in the world to screw up this track program.

Atlhogfan1

JLS wasn't a hire.  He let him try to babysit.

He's hired Petrino.

Anderson who went to 3NCAATs with an E8 at Mizzou and HAD to be hired by Arkansas at some point.

Bielema with 3 B1G Ch's, 3 top 10 teams and 4 10-12 win seasons.

I don't pay attn to track.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 11:27:36 pm
No choice but to hire Anderson and he got it done.

Well, he didn't have to hire Anderson.  Not smart to hire a Head Coach just based on the nostalgic aspect. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of pressure is put on Long and what he decides if Anderson doesn't make the NCAAT this season (which would only be 1 NCAAT appearance in 6 seasons).

The Kig

It's ludicrous to question the CBB hiring considering his credentials.  So ludicrous in fact, that the only question is why a coach with his resume would want to inherit the dumpster fire that was here after Petrino/Smile almost destroyed the program. 

When we were looking for a new coach, the fan base short list (Gruden, Butch, Patterson, Elvis, Jesus) all "noped" us very quickly, although Jesus did tell us that he still loves us.  General consensus from fans was that we should be able to attract a top tier coach.  While there was shock around the country when CBB was hired out of nowhere, when you actually looked at it closely, it was not only a perfect fit, but also probably the best hire we could make at the time. 

Are we there yet?  Hell, no.  Can we get there with CBB?  I still think so... but let me ask this question (and try to be honest), WHO is a better option that would also take the job?  Bama, Barn, A&M and LSU all have better talent pools/national name recognition to pull from and LSU will finally have a coach that can spell his own name soon.  Ole Miss can't even cheat and break the glass ceiling. 
Poker Porker

RME

Quote from: The Kig on October 24, 2016, 10:33:29 am
It's ludicrous to question the CBB hiring considering his credentials.  So ludicrous in fact, that the only question is why a coach with his resume would want to inherit the dumpster fire that was here after Petrino/Smile almost destroyed the program. 

When we were looking for a new coach, the fan base short list (Gruden, Butch, Patterson, Elvis, Jesus) all "noped" us very quickly, although Jesus did tell us that he still loves us.  General consensus from fans was that we should be able to attract a top tier coach.  While there was shock around the country when CBB was hired out of nowhere, when you actually looked at it closely, it was not only a perfect fit, but also probably the best hire we could make at the time. 

Are we there yet?  Hell, no.  Can we get there with CBB?  I still think so... but let me ask this question (and try to be honest), WHO is a better option that would also take the job?  Bama, Barn, A&M and LSU all have better talent pools/national name recognition to pull from and LSU will finally have a coach that can spell his own name soon.  Ole Miss can't even cheat and break the glass ceiling.

Everyone needs to see this post.

MrThunderhog

when jeff long hired slappy the geriatric clown for a season and tanked the program going on 5 years and wasn't fired id hafta guess his job is pretty secure. hell he has integrity.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Razorbackers

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 23, 2016, 09:56:35 pm

On a day of dumb posts, this one is shining for me haha.

Razorbackers

razoredge178

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 23, 2016, 11:37:01 pm
To the best of my knowledge he's only hired MA, JLS, BB, and Chris Bucknam. Only Bucknam has done anything, but you'd have to be the worst coach in the world to screw up this track program.

Don't forget long time commentator, 0 time coach Jimmy Dykes.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 24, 2016, 12:03:51 am
Well, he didn't have to hire Anderson.  Not smart to hire a Head Coach just based on the nostalgic aspect. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of pressure is put on Long and what he decides if Anderson doesn't make the NCAAT this season (which would only be 1 NCAAT appearance in 6 seasons).

Mike Anderson may or may not work out- I am certainly no Mike Anderson apologist.  But questioning that hire might be the dumbest thing on Hogville this week- which is actually impressive.  It wasn't just nostalgia.  Mike Anderson was very qualified for this job.  He had won at a mid-major and won at Mizzou after Quin Synder left a smoking crater behind.  He took UAB to the NCAA 3 times.  His last season at Mizzou his team went undefeated at home, won the big 12 tournament and went to the Elite 8.  Find a resume better than his that was available to hire at the time.   

Razorbackers

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 24, 2016, 10:49:21 am
Don't forget long time commentator, 0 time coach Jimmy Dykes.

He just signed a top 20 class, including a 5 star player from Oklahoma i believe.

reddogjcss

We will see how the year ends, win out he's a genus, lose one pretty smart, lose two not so good, lose 3 dumb ass, lose 4 got to go.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 24, 2016, 11:07:54 am
Mike Anderson may or may not work out- I am certainly no Mike Anderson apologist.  But questioning that hire might be the dumbest thing on Hogville this week- which is actually impressive.  It wasn't just nostalgia.  Mike Anderson was very qualified for this job.  He had won at a mid-major and won at Mizzou after Quin Synder left a smoking crater behind.  He took UAB to the NCAA 3 times.  His last season at Mizzou his team went undefeated at home, won the big 12 tournament and went to the Elite 8.  Find a resume better than his that was available to hire at the time.   

His last season at Missouri, Anderson lost in the 1st Round of the NCAAT.  His Conference record his last season there was 8 wins and 8 losses.

The one Elite 8 he has made was way back at the end of the 2008-2009 season.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2016, 02:49:53 am
His last season at Missouri, Anderson lost in the 1st Round of the NCAAT.  His Conference record his last season there was 8 wins and 8 losses.

The one Elite 8 he has made was way back at the end of the 2008-2009 season.

You are correct- my bad.  But he did win 20+ games each of those years.

Either way, my point was:  his resume more than qualified him as a good candidate for this job.  He wasn't given the job out of "nostalgia" as some want to believe.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 24, 2016, 11:07:54 am

I agree 100%!! Anderson was not only qualified for the job but also has always considered Fayetteville home. That alone means something when hiring a coach.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 25, 2016, 09:10:14 am
I agree 100%!! Anderson was not only qualified for the job but also has always considered Fayetteville home. That alone means something when hiring a coach.
[/b]

No it doesn't. 

phadedhawg

The talk about Jeff Long always comes up bc some on here still have their Bobby Petrino shrine in their living room.

By most metrics that an AD is judged on Long has been a success.  Even though we lack the collective maturity as a fan base to deal with disappointment, I hope we don't run Jeff Long out of town.  I think my age (38) allows me to see clearly what Frank Broyles had to offer in the post segregation era vs our more mature fans who remember "glory days".  Having an AD who's not a member of the good Ole boys is good for our program. I hope we don't retreat from our current modern situation and back into the way things were....

RagingHawgOn

Don't use logic around here  ;)

buldozer

Mike Anderson may not work out long term, but I like him and I think he is a good guy. Also I think he finally has the type of players he needs in his system and more committed. If he strikes out in the next two or three years I will be changing my mind but right now I am hopeful about Mike Anderson! WPS!!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 25, 2016, 09:11:47 am
[/b]

No it doesn't.

After reading some of your other posts, I'm not surprised in the least with your response. We will just have to agree to disagree.         
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Little Lady Back

Quote from: buldozer on October 25, 2016, 09:24:47 am
Mike Anderson may not work out long term, but I like him and I think he is a good guy. Also I think he finally has the type of players he needs in his system and more committed. If he strikes out in the next two or three years I will be changing my mind but right now I am hopeful about Mike Anderson! WPS!!

Agree with you, buldozer.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Razorpigg

Some of you people are nuts. That was a bad loss Saturday night. A terrible one.  But all you people whining and crying about recruiting woes and what not... Do you think that just improves firing and hiring a coach? We need stability and whether you see it or not we have that with CBB.  We have been a top 25 team most of the year and will be again after a couple games.  CBB isnt losing his job, or even coming close.  No reason to scream that drivel.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 25, 2016, 09:33:37 am
After reading some of your other posts, I'm not surprised in the least with your response. We will just have to agree to disagree.       

Why would it matter where a coach calls home?  It may help get them back there.  But other than it being personally enjoyable for some fans, it wouldn't or shouldn't.  Hire the person who is going to take your program to its ceiling and do so in a way you want your university represented.  Anderson may do the first part and will the second. 

You seem to think you have an idea about my thoughts towards our basketball program. 

kkbrody

There is one important thing missing from CBB's resume that was evidently not considered when he was hired. He's never had to build or rebuild a program on his own. Always a maintainer, never an architect. Some would argue that without Alvarez's suggestions, he is too emotional to build. For example, he said he was going to build through our line. If that was the case, why not redshirt Skipper in 2013? Did we need him for the record we had? Why didn't he redshirt Ragnow in 2014? Did we need him to play the snaps he did? How would our prospects for next year look, if he had done those 2 redshirts?

As far as someone we could reasonably get, how about Mike McIntyre? He has had winning seasons at San Jose St and Colorado. Certainly passes the architect test.

upperdeck_hawg

Truth. And if the fans would look at Georgia and South Carolina, two programs that are way more attractive than we are, they'd realize that we would have eventually had a John Pelphrey type situation if not for CBB wanting to come here. We got extremely lucky with Petrino when he came here. We got almost as lucky to get CBB.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

AFWarrior83

CBB wasn't going to leave what he had at Wisconsin for what he was getting into at Arkansas without some assurances that he wouldn't be canned after a few seasons. The only thing that frustrates me about CBB is the same thing the Wisconsin fans complained about and that is his inability to put a quality product on the field constantly. He has a solid winning percentage at Wisconsin, but they played a lot of cupcakes, and his teams struggled at times. I remember where they played Nebraska twice one year, and his team played totally different in both those games.

I'm still on the Bielema bandwagon, but his teams shouldn't be getting blown out after 4 years, especially with his coaching philosophy.
Hogville member since 2005.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 25, 2016, 08:56:45 am
You are correct- my bad.  But he did win 20+ games each of those years.

Either way, my point was:  his resume more than qualified him as a good candidate for this job.  He wasn't given the job out of "nostalgia" as some want to believe.

When Anderson was in the Big 12, there was really only 3 good teams, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State.

Texas was a consistent underachiever under Rick Barnes, so they weren't that great when Anderson was in the Big 12.

Anderson racked up wins against a lot of mediocre teams in the Big 12, but he had a lot of trouble against good competition such as Kansas.  If I am not mistaken, Anderson was 1-9 against Kansas.

The SEC is about to get very difficult in basketball.  Calipari has his semi-pro system going, Howland has loaded up Mississippi State with highly rated talent (and Howland continues to land that talent), Pearl has Auburn recruiting very well, and Martin has South Carolina poised to be a tough team.

Will Anderson again be facing another trouble winning against Kansas type of problem now that the SEC has become serious about basketball?  Time will tell.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: kkbrody on October 25, 2016, 11:31:43 am
There is one important thing missing from CBB's resume that was evidently not considered when he was hired. He's never had to build or rebuild a program on his own. Always a maintainer, never an architect. Some would argue that without Alvarez's suggestions, he is too emotional to build. For example, he said he was going to build through our line. If that was the case, why not redshirt Skipper in 2013? Did we need him for the record we had? Why didn't he redshirt Ragnow in 2014? Did we need him to play the snaps he did? How would our prospects for next year look, if he had done those 2 redshirts?

As far as someone we could reasonably get, how about Mike McIntyre? He has had winning seasons at San Jose St and Colorado. Certainly passes the architect test.

His record wouldn't pass the approval test for too many.  I thought he might have been a possibility when Bielema took the job if we had gone the route of a first time in the "big leagues" type coach. 

As far as Bielema, some of us posed that question immediately when he was hired.  It was always the question.  I'm sure he addressed it when pursuing our job. 

Haven't redshirted due to the many holes to be filled.