Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time for CBB to shut his mouth and open his mind

Started by BrokenArrowHogs, October 23, 2016, 03:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenArrowHogs

Petrino is long gone and I am NOT wishing he was back, but...

CBP did show the program a blueprint on how to be competitive in the SEC West when you will NEVER be able to get the depth and talent that the elites of the SEC get year after year.  He won a lot of games by spreading teams wide and out-scheming them offensively and placing his 3* and a few 4* players in positions to be successful against bigger stronger and faster teams who had deeper talent than AR ever will.  I do not believe AR can ever compete with the SEC elite in getting 4-5* depth comparable to them each year (without cheating).  There is just too much evidence against that. A "good" AR class in recent years has been good enough for the lower half/end of our conference year after year talent/depth wise. And yes, I know CBP never beat Bama, but no one else really has either these past 8-10 years.   

For CBB to be really successful here, beyond just fielding a bowl team, I am convinced he is going to have to change his philosophy and move away from trying to overpower these teams who have superior depth and talent. It just won't beat the elite in this league due to the talent gaps and will stunt AR's upper ceiling for success around 7-8 wins a year.  Unfortunately, I think he is too stubborn to change. Hell, even Saban changed his scheme.  Miles refused and he got canned and CBB is on the same path if he can't move past his pride.   

He also must make a change in the defense coaching immediately. AR beat AU last year. AU is the more talented team, but they didn't become 50+ point better in one year. This year's preparation and execution has been horrendous on defense and the program just got embarrased because if it. And it is clear our coaches are putting marginal SEC players in bad placements or schemes which makes it even worse. We all hated seeing the very conservative, keep everything in front of you plans the past few years, but its becoming increasingly clear they were doing that due to talent gaps all over the place. The defense will be a harder "fix" long term because they need a lot of SEC level players added, but changing the leadership and scheme would be a start.  Every remaining slot on this year's recruiting class should go to Oline and Defense.   

I would like to see CBB succeed here. Our program has too much invested to just watch him fail. BUT, it is time for changes to occur. This bye week is the perfect time to make them, and it starts with CBB checking his misplaced bravado, shutting his mouth and opening his mind to new ways of putting this this team in better positions to compete and win.

HogimusMaximus

3kgthog

Will.not.happen. He's convinced himself his plan can work despite other programs in the SEC already paving the highway for why it won't.

tophawg19

one issue is we are going to have to get the pay up for our coordinators . We want to hire elite people but don't want to spend elite money. Enos is very good but we will soon have to fight to keep him. Auburn made a good hire at D/C and got much better . great hires makes great coaches
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tlmack

I saw a report a couple of weeks ago that had Enos becoming a head coach after this season. I don't remember the team but the article had 10-15 different teams that will be looking after the shuffle begins after the season.

Iwastherein1969

when you start Texass cast-offs at right guard and continually watch him get beat you know you have problems....this guy was with Texass when, Flowers and Philon threw him around like a rag doll in the Texas Bowl....watch this play via youtube, it's a screen set up well against Ole Miss and the action begins at the 2:02 mark   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMwOTLOSfs     watch the incredible agility of our right guard, it's absolutely mind boggling, specifically # 50
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogs958

if your own line can't block anything thenew there is no scheme that will work. This o line is the worst I've ever seen.

alohawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 23, 2016, 04:09:19 pm
when you start Texass cast-offs at right guard and continually watch him get beat you know you have problems....this guy was with Texass when, Flowers and Philon threw him around like a rag doll in the Texas Bowl....watch this play via youtube, it's a screen set up well against Ole Miss and the action begins at the 2:02 mark   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMwOTLOSfs     watch the incredible agility of our right guard, it's absolutely mind boggling, specifically # 50

Terrible- 128 FBS schools, we can and must do better.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Atlhogfan1

Petrino had offensive talent at Arkansas.  5 star and 4 star qbs, 5 star and 4 star RBs, 4 star WRs and TE

Our offense has been fine for the most part.  AA's development has been outstanding.  We are not one dimensional or archaic in what we do.  Oline recruiting has not had the numbers and it caught up. 

Defense is the problem.  Always will be at Arkansas.  Petrino's 10 and 11 teams had vets at each level and disrupters at DE.  That cycle was heading back down at least temporarily.

I think we need to question Segrest's group. What has caused what we think has been underachievement?  Scheme?  Development? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jjdlc

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 04:32:52 pm
Petrino had offensive talent at Arkansas.  5 star and 4 star qbs, 5 star and 4 star RBs, 4 star WRs and TE

Our offense has been fine for the most part.  AA's development has been outstanding.  We are not one dimensional or archaic in what we do.  Oline recruiting has not had the numbers and it caught up. 

Defense is the problem.  Always will be at Arkansas.  Petrino's 10 and 11 teams had vets at each level and disrupters at DE.  That cycle was heading back down at least temporarily.

I think we need to question Segrest's group. What has caused what we think has been underachievement?  Scheme?  Development?

Mallet was a 5 star, who was the 5 star RB(s)?

No, the offense is not the problem, not even remotely.

Defense definitely is a problem.  But you are in correct that it can't be fixed.  Arkansas has fielded good defenses in the past, and can again, but changes need to happen before it can.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jjdlc on October 23, 2016, 08:43:23 pm
Mallet was a 5 star, who was the 5 star RB(s)?

No, the offense is not the problem, not even remotely.

Defense definitely is a problem.  But you are in correct that it can't be fixed.  Arkansas has fielded good defenses in the past, and can again, but changes need to happen before it can.

Green
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jjdlc

elksnort

Quote from: Hogs958 on October 23, 2016, 04:20:53 pm
if your own line can't block anything thenew there is no scheme that will work. This o line is the worst I've ever seen.
No kidding. Scheme is over rated in our situation I think.

Captain Morgan

Fire Robb Smith immediately :P :razorback: ;D
Ed Oregeron, Charlie Strong and many others want this DC job  :) :razorback: ::hornsdown:: :razorback:

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 23, 2016, 08:56:40 pm
Defense is not the reason we only scored 3 points yesterday.

1.Defense is not the reason AA has been a punching bag for the last 3 defenses we've faced.

2.Our DL was the best unit coming into the season.  B ert said so himself.

The problems are not in the individual units. 

The problems are upstream.

Our offense has been fine for the most part.  AA's development has been outstanding.  We are not one dimensional or archaic in what we do.  1.Oline recruiting has not had the numbers and it caught up. 

The DL has looked overhyped since UTEP 2015.

hog47

I've been watching Razorback football since the late 50's and I don't think I have ever witnessed a beat down like the one I witnessed. Whats really very troubling is how we seemed to have no fight in us. People we have just seen something that I have never seen. Some of you here may tell me otherwise but trust me, unless you are over 70 years old please don't bother cause I'm not interested. I've seen us lose ball games and seen some bad losses but we not only had a record for yards rushing against us, but we had no fight, no will and to me that is the worst problem to have. If you believe you can't complete then you won't. I think we have much larger problems than the loss last night. CBB must change if there is to be any hope for wins or for that matter, the future of the program.

I agree 100% with the original writer of this post that to complete year in and year out we must change our offensive and defensive philosophy. Only time will tell at this point but if CBB means what he said in the post game change MUST happen or lose the rest of the season and the fan base.

Quickdraw

I have not liked any of the defenses Beliema has put together since he has been here. We never blitz we hardly ever run man to man. I get so sick of seeing zone. I like a defense that blitzes and runs man to man takes chances to yield big rewards. And I know there are big risk if the blitz fails. But I will take a blitzing defense like Keith Burns runs over what we have now.

jm

I don't really understand the desire to change the offense. The offense has been pretty good until this week. Giving up 80 yard touchdown runs on the first play of the game changes the offensive game plans.
The defense is the issue and has been all year. I have no idea what needs to change there. It appears to be a failure at every level. Just creating a refuse to lose attitude would probably help a ton. It just doesn't look like they give max effort at every position on every play.

hog47

Quote from: jm on October 23, 2016, 09:26:05 pm
I don't really understand the desire to change the offense. The offense has been pretty good until this week. Giving up 80 yard touchdown runs on the first play of the game changes the offensive game plans.
The defense is the issue and has been all year. I have no idea what needs to change there. It appears to be a failure at every level. Just creating a refuse to lose attitude would probably help a ton. It just doesn't look like they give max effort at every position on every play.

Offense is part of the problem. Have you seen the difficulty running the ball this year???? Change the offense and defense.

hog47

Quote from: BrokenArrowHogs on October 23, 2016, 03:24:11 pm

CBP did show the program a blueprint on how to be competitive in the SEC West when you will NEVER be able to get the depth and talent that the elites of the SEC get year after year.  He won a lot of games by spreading teams wide and out-scheming them offensively and placing his 3* and a few 4* players in positions to be successful against bigger stronger and faster teams who had deeper talent than AR ever will.  I do not believe AR can ever compete with the SEC elite in getting 4-5* depth comparable to them each year (without cheating).  There is just too much evidence against that. A "good" AR class in recent years has been good enough for the lower half/end of our conference year after year talent/depth wise. And yes, I know CBP never beat Bama, but no one else really has either these past 8-10 years.   

For CBB to be really successful here, beyond just fielding a bowl team, I am convinced he is going to have to change his philosophy and move away from trying to overpower these teams who have superior depth and talent. It just won't beat the elite in this league due to the talent gaps and will stunt AR's upper ceiling for success around 7-8 wins a year.  Unfortunately, I think he is too stubborn to change. Hell, even Saban changed his scheme.  Miles refused and he got canned and CBB is on the same path if he can't move past his pride.   

He also must make a change in the defense coaching immediately. AR beat AU last year. AU is the more talented team, but they didn't become 50+ point better in one year. This year's preparation and execution has been horrendous on defense and the program just got embarrased because if it. And it is clear our coaches are putting marginal SEC players in bad placements or schemes which makes it even worse. We all hated seeing the very conservative, keep everything in front of you plans the past few years, but its becoming increasingly clear they were doing that due to talent gaps all over the place. The defense will be a harder "fix" long term because they need a lot of SEC level players added, but changing the leadership and scheme would be a start.  Every remaining slot on this year's recruiting class should go to Oline and Defense.   

I would like to see CBB succeed here. Our program has too much invested to just watch him fail. BUT, it is time for changes to occur. This bye week is the perfect time to make them, and it starts with CBB checking his misplaced bravado, shutting his mouth and opening his mind to new ways of putting this this team in better positions to compete and win.

I agree with you 100% on everything you said.

BrokenArrowHogs

I don't really understand the desire to change the offense. The offense has been pretty good until this week.

I guess I mean, the offense can't pick up 1 yard... multiple times, multiple games, for multiple years, when games are on the line or to put a game away. It has been very inconsistent. That is the supposed calling card for his bully approach and trying to overpower teams with a pounding running game. The line can't protect Allen. It was "other-worldly" that he threw for so many yards against Bama, but he is getting blasted. Go back and watch how manhandled our line has been the past few games and tell me you really believe the offense is "pretty good."  They have overachieved IMO given how bad the line play has been.  Some scheme changes, i.e., not trying to overpower teams, using quicker passes to these very good WRs, using the shotgun to give Allen an extra second or two to get the ball off, etc., all could help. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razoredge178

BB's BFF offensive line coach needs his walking papers. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 23, 2016, 03:27:03 pm
Will.not.happen. He's convinced himself his plan can work despite other programs in the SEC already paving the highway for why it won't.

Who paved the way for his plan to show it won't work?

Prestworthy

How does giving up a TD in the 1st quarter change the offensive plan?

onebadrubi

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 23, 2016, 03:32:05 pm
one issue is we are going to have to get the pay up for our coordinators . We want to hire elite people but don't want to spend elite money. Enos is very good but we will soon have to fight to keep him. Auburn made a good hire at D/C and got much better . great hires makes great coaches

Auburn's DC last year was an LSU throw away. His D got torched at LSU, they even said in the game he had to rethink things after hat job and went back and studied everything g he could on Pete Carroll. They didn't hire a proven good DC, they hired someone willing to work and adapt, and it's  paying off with their stud DL covering up a lot of other weaknesses.

Kevin

need an aggressive defense.  sec offenses don't take 12 to 15 play drives. they try and score quick, with their skill position players.
you must attack them with no fear of getting beat
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

People keep bringing up
Petrino's tenure here but they refuse to go back and really look at it. He never won a game he lost in the trenches.  The o line and d lines of A&M and Auburn would have ate wilsons lunch back then just like they did aliens, people have forgotten just how much wilson was planted on his butt against bama.

People are making CBP comments irrationally and have forgotten he also got his ass handed to him, lsu 2011?  Do people forget the Fire willy threads after every game?  You same people spew the same junk no matter who the coaches are and no matter how the season ends up

King Kong

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 08:55:32 am
Auburn's DC last year was an LSU throw away. His D got torched at LSU, they even said in the game he had to rethink things after hat job and went back and studied everything g he could on Pete Carroll. They didn't hire a proven good DC, they hired someone willing to work and adapt, and it's  paying off with their stud DL covering up a lot of other weaknesses.

Kevin Steele has been around along time and extremely respected even before this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 24, 2016, 09:01:12 am
People keep bringing up
Petrino's tenure here but they refuse to go back and really look at it. He never won a game he lost in the trenches.  The o line and d lines of A&M and Auburn would have ate wilsons lunch back then just like they did aliens, people have forgotten just how much wilson was planted on his butt against bama.

People are making CBP comments irrationally and have forgotten he also got his ass handed to him, lsu 2011?  Do people forget the Fire willy threads after every game?  You same people spew the same junk no matter who the coaches are and no matter how the season ends up

The in conference record of the SEC teams we beat in 2010 and 11 was a combined 35-61.  It's selective memory.  Good teams, great coach but the legend and myths continue to grow. 

Atlhogfan1

Steele has had some job at programs who can recruit very well to defense:  Clemson - fired, LSU - fired, AU - doing pretty good in season 1

Redhogs

Yea we get get it...CBP was just lucky while here and CBB just needs more time..guess CBP just gets lucky everywhere he goes in college football..at least on the field...you do understand that the problems you are outlining should not be happening in year 4 of a capable coach..we're really screwed when Enos leaves..and he will leave, probably would have last year if not for the non-compete.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

DoctorSusscrofa

If scheme really is the entire problem, then why is it that the rants this week are up by 97% over last week?  Our philosophy was the same last week as it was this week. The only difference was that last week we upset a decent Ole Miss at our place and this week we got stomped by an improving Auburn on the road.

Sure, there have been some people calling for changes before now, but the fact remains that 90% of the complainers only come out of the woodwork after losses. Auburn is one game.  We still reached 5 wins this season faster than we often do.  Before the game some pointed out that Auburn's strengths matched up well with our weaknesses.  Let's see what happens.  We aren't going to make huge changes in either offensive or defensive scheme in two or three weeks' time and stun Florida and LSU with our masterful man to man coverage, blitzes, and stunts, or our brand new spread offense.  So let's see what matchups we get.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

IMABIELEMA

Steele is very good but come on,  AUBURN is loaded with 5*'s on the Dline and at linebacker.

hogsanity

CBP did show the program a blueprint on how to be competitive in the SEC West when you will NEVER be able to get the depth and talent that the elites of the SEC get year after year.  He won a lot of games by spreading teams wide and out-scheming them offensively and placing his 3* and a few 4* players in positions to be successful against bigger stronger and faster teams who had deeper talent than AR ever will. 

BP won a lot of games by having the best two year crop of offensive players ever to come out of AR Hs football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2016, 09:06:31 am
Yea we get get it...CBP was just lucky while here and CBB just needs more time..guess CBP just gets lucky everywhere he goes in college football..at least on the field...you do understand that the problems you are outlining should not be happening in year 4 of a capable coach..we're really screwed when Enos leaves..and he will leave, probably would have last year if not for the non-compete.

No one said CBP was lucky, he was a good coach when given good or great talent.  He was not however able to develop anything from within the program.  He was also not able to recruit defense for some reason and he did not go out and get any real help there. 

Nothing wrong with calling it like it really is.  CBP had his issues just as CBB appears to be showing us some of his.  You don't have to hate CBP to love CBB, and vice versa.  But if you are going to start calling for someones head, make sure your argument at least supports it, which most around aren't capable of doing.

I think since Saban has been at bama, there as only been one year this boards fly by posters have not been calling for the DC to be fired and bash the coaches, that is two years ago when Smith had some NFL drafted players starting in his defense (Trey, Philon, Martrell, and Tevin M.). 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 24, 2016, 10:55:54 am
CBP had a new DC coming in the next season.  Convenient to overlook that fact and not surprising.

Given our current set of circumstances I think most if not all on here would define that as "Going out and getting real help there".

That was going to make a huge difference. ::)

Youngsta71701

So true. I would much rather make a team pass the ball to beat me than to just sit there and let them run the ball down my throat.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Who is our Coach?

The hard to swallow fact is that Bielema said when he took this job that we would do certain things and play a certain way.  We would play disciplined football, we would dominate in the trenches, and we would own the 4th quarter.  We don't consistently do any of that.  But defense is something that is a real issue, and it spans multiple coaching staffs, trends in offensive philosophies, and recruiting cycles.  Here are our SEC defensive rankings based on scoring defense over the past 10 years:

2016:  12th
2015:  14th
2014:  5th
2013:  12th
2012:  12th (This was first year after expansion to 14 teams)
2011:  9th
2010:  7th
2009:  10th
2008:  12th
2007:  10th
2006:  8th

Anything jump out to anyone else?  Petrino gets criticized for having awful defenses, but his first two defenses (which were his worst) were right on par with what Bielema has done over 4 years.  His best two defenses were better than anything Bielema has done, save for that 2014 defense, which played well the last 6 games of the year and caught struggling teams at the perfect time to enhance its statistical standings.  We weren't a top 5 SEC defense the first half of that season. 

What does all this mean?  Hard to say.  I think Bielema's style can work, but only if two things happen.  First, we start recruiting top 10-15 classes and have just a lights out defense.  Neither of those things have ever really happened.  I guess they could happen, but the evidence just makes it seem unlikely.  Put me in the camp that simply believes you can't "coach up" a 2 or 3 star player into a 4 or 5 star level player.  I just don't think it's possible or realistic.  And again, you don't gain much comparing Petrino to Bielema, but it's hard not to.  Petrino's style seemed to give us strategic advantages and helped hide our shortcomings, while Bielema's lays bare our weaknesses.

Anyway, hope it works out for Bielema.  Just think he is up against some real tough situations here with his style, and to some of the points raised here, he would benefit from diversifying.  But I just don't think that's in him.

PonderinHog

Who is our Coach?

Especially for a team like us, where recruiting the types of defensive talent to have a great defense has just never really happened.  Would I love to be able to play Bielema's style?  Absolutely.  Punishing run game, play actions passing, and suffocating defense?  Sign me up.  But me wanting it to happen and being honest about the likeliness of it happening are two different things.  And trust me, I have had this concern before 56-3. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on October 24, 2016, 11:30:21 am
The hard to swallow fact is that Bielema said when he took this job that we would do certain things and play a certain way.  We would play disciplined football, we would dominate in the trenches, and we would own the 4th quarter.  We don't consistently do any of that.  But defense is something that is a real issue, and it spans multiple coaching staffs, trends in offensive philosophies, and recruiting cycles.  Here are our SEC defensive rankings based on scoring defense over the past 10 years:

Anything jump out to anyone else?  Petrino gets criticized for having awful defenses, but his first two defenses (which were his worst) were right on par with what Bielema has done over 4 years.  His best two defenses were better than anything Bielema has done, save for that 2014 defense, which played well the last 6 games of the year and caught struggling teams at the perfect time to enhance its statistical standings.  We weren't a top 5 SEC defense the first half of that season. 

What does all this mean?  Hard to say.  I think Bielema's style can work, but only if two things happen.  First, we start recruiting top 10-15 classes and have just a lights out defense.  Neither of those things have ever really happened.  I guess they could happen, but the evidence just makes it seem unlikely.  Put me in the camp that simply believes you can't "coach up" a 2 or 3 star player into a 4 or 5 star level player.  I just don't think it's possible or realistic.  And again, you don't gain much comparing Petrino to Bielema, but it's hard not to.  Petrino's style seemed to give us strategic advantages and helped hide our shortcomings, while Bielema's lays bare our weaknesses.

Anyway, hope it works out for Bielema.  Just think he is up against some real tough situations here with his style, and to some of the points raised here, he would benefit from diversifying.  But I just don't think that's in him.
I will say this. Someone had to coach up J.J. Watt. He was a 2 star recruit. But he just might be the exception.

Who is our Coach?

Yeah, no doubt JJ Watt was a diamond in the rough.  And recruiting rankings and "stars" are very imperfect and imprecise.  Guys fall through the cracks, guys mature later than others, all that other stuff.  To your point, I wouldn't lay all my hopes on being able to do that consistently.  That's just one guy.  If Bielema had done it 50 times, then that would be something else.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on October 24, 2016, 11:40:50 am
Yeah, no doubt JJ Watt was a diamond in the rough.  And recruiting rankings and "stars" are very imperfect and imprecise.  Guys fall through the cracks, guys mature later than others, all that other stuff.  To your point, I wouldn't lay all my hopes on being able to do that consistently.  That's just one guy.  If Bielema had done it 50 times, then that would be something else.
I'm witcha. I would rather have 4 and 5 star players any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

hawgtime

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on October 24, 2016, 11:30:21 am

again, better recruits help everything get better.  we have had several years to make CBB's recruits get better in the weight room and learn the system.  why aren't they performing better? 

MountieDawg

You have 9 returning starters from an awful defense and think they will be a great defense, I have some swamp land I can guarantee you will be perfect for a million dollar home subdivisions next year.  This pre-season hype over the defense was nothing more than sunshine pumping and providing hope!
SEC!

onebadrubi

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 24, 2016, 11:34:01 am
The best defense is a good offense.

You should ask the seahawks and cardinals that. 

Youngsta71701