Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honest predictions for Auburn.......

Started by hogz11, October 20, 2016, 10:41:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 12:43:02 pm
A&M didn't get to 30, and that was when our offense was stuck in neutral.  I don't see you outdoing them.

You'll be surprised.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 12:44:38 pm
It's not that simple.  You were down 42-17.  Everyone in the solar system knew you were done.  You scored a TD late in the 3rd to get to 24.  Bama tacked on another TD to go up 49-24 and you scored a garbage TD with 3 mins left.  You know as well as I do that's not the same as scoring 30 in the course of a competitive game.  It's a mirage.

According to Barners, a touchdown doesn't count because it's too late in the game.

010HogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 21, 2016, 12:45:48 pm
According to Barners, a touchdown doesn't count because it's too late in the game.

I don't think they understand how hard Saban is on his guys. He doesn't give a rip when the points were given up, he's PO'd any time someone scores on them. 30 pts is 30 pts

hydro_dynamic_spatula

It counts.  You got to 30 on Bama. Congratulations!  Bama was taking tons of risks because they knew they could get pressure on Allen and turn you over or sack you.  And what happened?  You turned the ball over 5 times, gave up numerous sacks, gave up two defensive touchdowns and lost by 19.  Does it really matter if your offense gets to 30 in garbage time if you give up all that?

Auburn plays a completely different style of defense. Less risk taking.  More about making you execute at a high level all the way down the field. 

010HogFan

Quote from: hydro_dynamic_spatula on October 21, 2016, 12:50:49 pm
Auburn plays a completely different style of defense. Less risk taking.  More about making you execute at a high level all the way down the field. 

Yeah you don't take as many risks when you're garbage on offense and can't compensate for giving up big plays on defense

hydro_dynamic_spatula

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 21, 2016, 12:51:42 pm
Yeah you don't take as many risks when you're garbage on offense and can't compensate for giving up big plays on defense

No it's just how we play.  We played the same way against MSU when we were up on them by 2, 3, 4 scores and our offense was driving the ball at will.

HF#1

Quote from: hydro_dynamic_spatula on October 21, 2016, 12:53:23 pm
No it's just how we play.  We played the same way against MSU when we were up on them by 2, 3, 4 scores and our offense was driving the ball at will.

They.are.awful
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hydro_dynamic_spatula

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2016, 12:53:53 pm
They.are.awful

Yes they are awful.  I'm referring to style of play.  Even when our offense is executing and scoring, our defense doesn't start blitzing every third down and attempting to make huge negative plays.  It's not how our defense operates.

010HogFan

Quote from: hydro_dynamic_spatula on October 21, 2016, 12:56:05 pm
Yes they are awful.  I'm referring to style of play.  Even when our offense is executing and scoring, our defense doesn't start blitzing every third down and attempting to make huge negative plays.  It's not how our defense operates.

I bet we see that change this week. They are gonna bring the house on AA. If you give him time to pick you apart, you might as well not even show up

HyperDrive

Didn't say it didn't count.  Just said, it's not the same as scoring 30 on someone in a competitive game where they are busting their butts to keep you out of the endzone.  It's natural for teams to let up a little when they get a huge lead.  And DCs tend to have their defensive backs play a little softer and keep things in front of them so that you have to burn clock driving the field instead of getting a few quick strikes on bombs. 

Don't act like you don't understand the concept.

HF#1

Like I said before this game is really about one matchup. Our O-line vs their D-line. If we win that battle, we likely control and win the game. If we struggle on the O-line it could be a long day for us.

HF#1

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:00:11 pm
Didn't say it didn't count.  Just said, it's not the same as scoring 30 on someone in a competitive game where they are busting their butts to keep you out of the endzone.  It's natural for teams to let up a little when they get a huge lead.  And DCs tend to have their defensive backs play a little softer and keep things in front of them so that you have to burn clock driving the field instead of getting a few quick strikes on bombs. 

So your TD in the 4th quarter vs A&M was for the same reason. A&M let up, right?

HF#1

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 12:43:02 pm
A&M didn't get to 30, and that was when our offense was stuck in neutral.  I don't see you outdoing them.

While 29 is not 30, that's probably not the best example.  And I would say that Austin Allen is a better pure QB than Knight.

010HogFan

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2016, 01:02:25 pm
So your TD in the 4th quarter vs A&M was for the same reason. A&M let up, right?

Making the real final score A&M 29 Auburn 10

clew

My feelings this game echo my feelings before we played UT in Austin in 2003.  We had a magician at QB who was pretty much unflappable.  I think AA is a better quarterback and given the time to set will carve up the Auburn d.  I think we make it into the 30s.
Pure as the dawn

hydro_dynamic_spatula

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 21, 2016, 12:58:10 pm
I bet we see that change this week. They are gonna bring the house on AA. If you give him time to pick you apart, you might as well not even show up

It's possible.  Auburn's defense focuses on stopping the run and then making the QB throw against 7 defenders while our D-line gets enough pressure to keep him uncomfortable with just 4.  Allen is probably the best pure passer we've faced so far, so we might need to bring more pressure than usual.

hydro_dynamic_spatula

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 21, 2016, 01:06:03 pm
Making the real final score A&M 29 Auburn 10

You could say that.  Our offense was anemic at that point in the season.

a0ashle

Quote from: hydro_dynamic_spatula on October 21, 2016, 01:11:45 pm
It's possible.  Auburn's defense focuses on stopping the run and then making the QB throw against 7 defenders while our D-line gets enough pressure to keep him uncomfortable with just 4.  Allen is probably the best pure passer we've faced so far, so we might need to bring more pressure than usual.

You are gonna need more than 4 to stop the run, which means Allen won't be throwing against 7 defenders.

HyperDrive

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2016, 01:02:25 pm

Well, they weren't up by almost 4 TDs, but sure.  The late TD in that game wasn't as meaningful as it would have been if we scored earlier.  But the difference is, had we gotten the two point conversion there and mounted another drive for a score, it would have put us in position to do an onside kick with at least a chance to tie it.  Because we scored, held them three and out and got the ball back.  It may have been a bit of a long shot, but it was at least there.  Ours was a competitive game for three quarters and could have been interesting with a made 2-pointer there. 

Yours was a skulldragging that wasn't really competitive after the 1st quarter.  Your utterly meaningless score to cut it to 19 with three minutes left wasn't putting you in any position to actually contend.  It was just to make the score look prettier.

HF#1

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:14:25 pm
Well, they weren't up by almost 4 TDs, but sure.  The late TD in that game wasn't as meaningful as it would have been if we scored earlier.  But the difference is, had we gotten the two point conversion there and mounted another drive for a score, it would have put us in position to do an onside kick with at least a chance to tie it.  Because we scored, held them three and out and got the ball back.  It may have been a bit of a long shot, but it was at least there.  Ours was a competitive game for three quarters and could have been interesting with a made 2-pointer there. 

Yours was a skulldragging that wasn't really competitive after the 1st quarter.  Your utterly meaningless score to cut it to 19 with three minutes left wasn't putting you in any position to actually contend.  It was just to make the score look prettier.

I would bet a cold beverage Alabama does the same if not worse to Auburn.

SpeedyHog

These Awburn trolls on here are acting like their D is a reincarnation of the 85 bears d. Give Me a freaking break. We're gonna show just how bad their D is tomorrow.
Call Me Trumpton.

010HogFan

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:14:25 pm

You realize you're talking about the defending national champions and rulers of the college football world right? Quit acting like we were beaten badly by Mississippi State or something

HyperDrive

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2016, 01:15:29 pm
I would bet a cold beverage Alabama does the same if not worse to Auburn.

You'll lose that bet unless we have some crazy rash of injuries between now and then that leaves us decimated. 

As bad as we were last year, and with them on the march to a national title, they won 29-13.  And that margin was only because Henry scored a TD with 26 seconds left.  It was a tight game the whole way.  They've beaten us badly before, but generally it's when we have a really bad team (and they have a really great one) and that's not the case this year. 

HyperDrive

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 21, 2016, 01:20:42 pm
These Awburn trolls on here are acting like their D is a reincarnation of the 85 bears d. Give Me a freaking break. We're gonna show just how bad their D is tomorrow.

Don't be ridiculous.  No one has said anything of the sort. 

HyperDrive

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 21, 2016, 01:23:59 pm
You realize you're talking about the defending national champions and rulers of the college football world right? Quit acting like we were beaten badly by Mississippi State or something

I didn't say there wasn't good reason.  I'm just saying, the game wasn't competitive.  Your late score to make it look like less of a beatdown really isn't comparable.

010HogFan

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:26:20 pm
I didn't say there wasn't good reason.  I'm just saying, the game wasn't competitive.  Your late score to make it look like less of a beatdown really isn't comparable.

I see what you're saying, but let's not act like Alabama was just letting us score. They never let anyone do that. Just look at the scores of their games over the past 2 years. Only 4 out of the past 22 games have they allowed over 30 points. They don't LET anyone score regardless of whether or not the game is "over"

rljjr

We got beat pretty good, but it didn't mentally kill this team.  I'd be scared that we didn't suffer the "Bama Hangover" that LSU and others cry about. We got better. We've been tested by the two best in the SEC. Tigger 2 has been improving, statistically, of late as well -- against inferior competition. I expect a competitive game, hope for no injuries, a cleanly officiated game, and a Hog victory pulling away in the 4th.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:25:33 pm
Don't be ridiculous.  No one has said anything of the sort.
Y'all sure act like it. You're defense is no better then Bama or TAMU.
Call Me Trumpton.

HF#1

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 21, 2016, 01:39:26 pm

I'm more concerned about Florida's defense than I am about Auburn's.

HyperDrive

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 21, 2016, 01:39:26 pm

Agree on Bama.  Disagree on TAMU.  TAMU's defense isn't amazing.  They have some great pass rushers than can disrupt an offense at times and they've played pretty well in the red zone.  But they're 68th in rushing defense (7th in the SEC) and 109th in pass defense (dead last in the SEC).

HyperDrive

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 21, 2016, 01:27:47 pm
I see what you're saying, but let's not act like Alabama was just letting us score. They never let anyone do that. Just look at the scores of their games over the past 2 years. Only 4 out of the past 22 games have they allowed over 30 points. They don't LET anyone score regardless of whether or not the game is "over"

I'm not saying they laid down and let you do anything.  But it's hard to keep that edge all the time when you have a big lead.  They're usually good about not letting up too much, but it happens.  And your offense is good.  I've never claimed it wasn't.  But none of that changes what I said.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:47:06 pm
Agree on Bama.  Disagree on TAMU.  TAMU's defense isn't amazing.  They have some great pass rushers than can disrupt an offense at times and they've played pretty well in the red zone.  But they're 68th in rushing defense (7th in the SEC) and 109th in pass defense (dead last in the SEC).
I am sure You're defense is better then it has been but it's not great either. We also beat a Kevin Steele led defense at LSU last year.
Call Me Trumpton.

HyperDrive

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 21, 2016, 02:00:31 pm
I am sure You're defense is better then it has been but it's not great either.

That's a faith based statement.  No facts available support that opinion.

QuoteWe also beat a Kevin Steele led defense at LSU last year.

Yes you did.  But it was as much a function of shutting down LSU's running game as it was anything else.  You had a very good rushing defense last season and LSU's passing was shaky.  They were all about Fournette, so if you could stop him, you could essentially stop LSU.

RME

Same with you and A&M. You scored with 2:59 left and lost by 13. We scored against Bama with 3:18 left and lost by 19. If you don't score your "garbage time" TD against A&M, how much do you lose by? I mean, since we're all about throwing around hypotheticals and such, might as well consider this one to be gospel.

Your arguments are laughable.

HyperDrive

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 21, 2016, 02:14:02 pm
Same with you and A&M. You scored with 2:59 left and lost by 13. We scored against Bama with 3:18 left and lost by 19. If you don't score your "garbage time" TD against A&M, how much do you lose by?

Yeah, those are the same. 

If we failed to score late we would have lost by the same amount as you did by successfully scoring late.

That's some awesome logic there.

RME

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 02:17:16 pm
Yeah, those are the same. 

If we failed to score late we would have lost by the same amount as you did by successfully scoring late.

That's some awesome logic there.

Now you're getting it. Finally seeing the [CENSORED] bull we've been putting up with all week.

hydro_dynamic_spatula

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 21, 2016, 02:14:02 pm
Same with you and A&M. You scored with 2:59 left and lost by 13. We scored against Bama with 3:18 left and lost by 19. If you don't score your "garbage time" TD against A&M, how much do you lose by?

19.  We aren't looking at the Auburn offense.  We are looking at the Arkansas offense vs. the Auburn defense.  The premise is that Arkansas will have a tough time getting to 30 points, and the main counter being thrown out is that you did it against Bama so doing it against Auburn will be an easier task. The rebuttal to this is that the game was over early and you were taking huge risks to catch up (which also bit you in the butt with turnovers and sacks which nullified offensive successes), so getting to 30 points is a bit misleading if you are using that argument for how good your offense is.

Try to keep up. 

RME

Quote from: hydro_dynamic_spatula on October 21, 2016, 02:20:23 pm
19.  We aren't looking at the Auburn offense.  We are looking at the Arkansas offense vs. the Auburn defense.  The premise is that Arkansas will have a tough time getting to 30 points, and the main counter being thrown out is that you did it against Bama so doing it against Auburn will be an easier task. The rebuttal to this is that the game was over early and you were taking huge risks to catch up (which also bit you in the butt with turnovers and sacks which nullified offensive successes), so getting to 30 points is a bit misleading if you are using that argument for how good your offense is.

Try to keep up.

But measuring defensive statistics against the 6 weakass teams, save A&M and Clemson to an extent, that you've played is reaaaaaally legitimate.

You're pleased with your defensive stats against ** teams, but we can't be pleased with our offensive stats against decent teams.

It's okay, not everyone has the ability to view things from an objective standpoint.

Medic821

28-21 Hogs.  I hope the Hogs cut down on penalties.  Personal fouls drive me crazy.  If it comes down to a field goal I like our chances with the change last week. ::hornsdown::

hydro_dynamic_spatula

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 21, 2016, 02:22:19 pm
But measuring defensive statistics against the 6 weakass teams, save A&M and Clemson to an extent, that you've played is reaaaaaally legitimate.

You're pleased with your defensive stats against ** teams, but we can't be pleased with our offensive stats against decent teams.

It's okay, not everyone has the ability to view things from an objective standpoint.

No that is objective.  You have a good offense.  You didn't luck into scoring 30 on Bama.  You had to make plays, but some were using that as their sole argument for why scoring 30 on Auburn will be easier.  My point is that it's not such a simple comparison.  You can use Auburn's strength of schedule as an argument for saying our defense is over rated.  However even against the two good offensive teams we've played the defense was still effective. 

phadedhawg

I predict that Florida fans will be less annoying next week.  They aren't so eager to convince everyone they are better than their record suggests. 

HawgTide

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 21, 2016, 01:20:42 pm

Auburn trolls are the absolute worst....

Not you Hydro

HyperDrive

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 21, 2016, 02:22:19 pm

But that's just the thing.  No one is crowing about our defensive stats vs ULM or Arkansas St. or even MSU.  We're happy that we did to those teams what you should do, but that's not the argument being made.  We played two very good offenses (one I'd say is great) and held both in check compared to what they've done to most others.  And we did to the rest what we should have done.  We lost those games because of the offensive struggles early on, not the defense.  In fact, given how little help they got from that side of the ball, it's surprising the defense didn't give up more points to both.

But your stats haven't come against decent defenses except for Alabama, and even that has an asterisk.  The passing defenses other than Alabama (who is ranked 46th - the secondary is their "weakest" part) are ranked 74st, 101st (in FCS), 103rd, 109th, 116th and 122nd.  And outside of Alabama, none of them have great rushing defenses either.  That doesn't mean you don't have a good offense.  But it does mean I'm skeptical that you're going to have more success than A&M did.

010HogFan

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 02:37:49 pm
But that's just the thing.  No one is crowing about our defensive stats vs ULM or Arkansas St. or even MSU.  We're happy that we did to those teams what you should do, but that's not the argument being made.  We played two very good offenses (one I'd say is great) and held both in check compared to what they've done to most others.  And we did to the rest what we should have done.  We lost those games because of the offensive struggles early on, not the defense.  In fact, given how little help they got from that side of the ball, it's surprising the defense didn't give up more points to both.

But your stats haven't come against decent defenses except for Alabama, and even that has an asterisk.  The passing defenses other than Alabama (who is ranked 46th - the secondary is their "weakest" part) are ranked 74st, 101st (in FCS), 103rd, 109th, 116th and 122nd.  And outside of Alabama, none of them have great rushing defenses either.  That doesn't mean you don't have a good offense.  But it does mean I'm skeptical that you're going to have more success than A&M did.

Just like we tend to throw out our game against Louisiana Tech, y'all might as well throw out that game against Clemson and recognize that in the grand scheme of things it means nothing if you're trying to use it as a barometer of any sort. Deshaun Watson looked awful and it really didn't have much to do with your defense. It's week one and everything is all out of whack. Look at all the upsets that happened. Y'all did keep it close, but you gotta remember...it was week one.

HyperDrive

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 21, 2016, 02:45:00 pm
Just like we tend to throw out our game against Louisiana Tech, y'all might as well throw out that game against Clemson and recognize that in the grand scheme of things it means nothing if you're trying to use it as a barometer of any sort. Deshaun Watson looked awful and it really didn't have much to do with your defense. It's week one and everything is all out of whack. Look at all the upsets that happened. Y'all did keep it close, but you gotta remember...it was week one.

Um...not sure what game you were watching.  Watson hit 56% of this throws, but the only receiver who could consistently get open (as he was the only mismatch) was Mike Williams and Watson was nailing the back shoulder throw all night.   Their game winning TD was a difficult throw, perfectly placed just over the defender and a great grab by the WR.  He may not have had his best night, but he wasn't awful and yes, our defense had a lot to do with it.  We didn't let him get outside the pocket much for his scrambles and we limited his options downfield.  We also didn't allow Galman to run wild even though he ended up with decent numbers. 

010HogFan

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 02:51:37 pm
Um...not sure what game you were watching.  Watson hit 56% of this throws, but the only receiver who could consistently get open (as he was the only mismatch) was Mike Williams and Watson was nailing the back shoulder throw all night.   Their game winning TD was a difficult throw, perfectly placed just over the defender and a great grab by the WR.  He may not have had his best night, but he wasn't awful and yes, our defense had a lot to do with it.  We didn't let him get outside the pocket much for his scrambles and we limited his options downfield.  We also didn't allow Galman to run wild even though he ended up with decent numbers. 

I was admittedly flipping back and forth between a few different games at that point...I remember tuning in and watching them almost give the game away at the end with Dabo's insane clock management...everything else is a little fuzzy, but I remember Watson struggling some...I'm still not that impressed with Clemson though.

Arkansas Fan

I think we can now see these Barners are just dumb.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: HyperDrive on October 21, 2016, 01:00:11 pm

Since you're a Barner, you should know Saban doesn't care if he's up by 50, he wants to keep the other team from scoring because he knows it's still a teaching situation. The fact is we put 30 on Alabama, and I'd bet that Auburn won't get 30. Your argument is getting weaker and weaker.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2016, 01:40:12 pm
I'm more concerned about Florida's defense than I am about Auburn's.

Florida's DBs are much better than Auburn's.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: hydro_dynamic_spatula on October 21, 2016, 12:50:49 pm
It counts.  You got to 30 on Bama. Congratulations!  Bama was taking tons of risks because they knew they could get pressure on Allen and turn you over or sack you.  And what happened?  You turned the ball over 5 times, gave up numerous sacks, gave up two defensive touchdowns and lost by 19.  Does it really matter if your offense gets to 30 in garbage time if you give up all that?

Yes, it does matter. There is no "garbage time" to Saban.