Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

refresh my memory on this Zenyatta race at Oaklawn please

Started by HogFanInBryant, January 18, 2013, 10:09:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

How highly regarded was she coming into this race?  Did anyone have an idea she was gonna be a monster at this point?  You can hear Terry say 4 in a row and she went off at 9-5 with Ginger Punch going off at 2-5.  Click the link below for the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3Mf75zlRM

MC_Hog

That was her first race outside of California & the race that really put her in the national spot light.

Mike Smith had been riding Azeri in the Apple Blossom before he rode Zenyatta. I remember him saying that he though Zenyatta was the better horse before that race.

When Cigar won the Oaklawn Handicap he wasn't a legend yet either but I think it his 4th or 5th win of his winning streak.

jdelo77

Damn she ran a great race , right before the 3/4 pole she turns it on and never looks back ...

songofthesword

i remember touting her on this very forum in that race. 

she was well thought of but ginger punch was the reigning older female eclipse award winner.  the main draw was ginger punch not zenyatta. that changed after the race

HawgWild

Quote from: MC_Hog on January 24, 2013, 10:41:58 am
When Cigar won the Oaklawn Handicap he wasn't a legend yet either but I think it his 4th or 5th win of his winning streak.

Cigar was on a 5 race win streak when coming to race for the Oaklawn Handicap which he won handily over Silver Goblin. I had a $20 exacta, cold. Told my wife it was "Gimme money"; couldn't have been any other way I thought. Of course, they always don't run the way you think they will but that day they did for me.