Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you see Arkansas winning an SEC title under Morris?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Are you confident that Morris will at least take Arkansas to an SEC Title game?

99toLife

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm

NO idea at this time..

go hogues

In the current landscape? No

Honestly, what we need is for Saban to retire and Malzahn and Orgeron to be fired all in the same offseason.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

AHiD

Quote from: go hogues on February 12, 2018, 03:21:09 pm

Honestly, what we need is for Saban to retire and Malzahn and Oregon to be fired all in the same offseason.
Malzahn and Orgeron are awful HC's.
My name...is Jerruh

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

This is a different question than your thread title

I can see him making it but don't see him winning it.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

LZH

widespreadsooie

I would say the odds are stacked against him, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Hoggish1

31to6

Is it a realistic possibility? yes - the ball will have to bounce our way, but it can be done.
Does that mean I am confident? no - it would be stupid to be "confident" given the landscape.
Am I optimistic? hell yes!

WPS

Boardon Hamsay

We should start a new poll around how far ahead of ourselves can we get.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: LZH on February 12, 2018, 03:27:58 pm
If he can recruit he can win.

To take this one farther, he'll have to get several elite players (at the same time). For example, a team will need 4-5 All-SEC guys on each side of the ball. Additionally, a couple All-Americans and a strong Heisman candidate. Gotta have the home-run hitter.

Think big, like USC's backfield—Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White. Or in our case, McFadden, Mallett, and with a superstar on defense. Or, if you're not mixing time periods, Mallett with Knile Davis (those guys = 30+ TD passes, 1300+ yards rushing). And offense like that can win you the SEC crown.

I can't imagine us fielding a team like Alabama, with 8-10 guys per side who'll play in the NFL. But we have shown we can get close on occasion with some big-time playmakers. So look how simple that recipe is!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 99toLife on February 12, 2018, 03:18:37 pm
NO idea at this time..
Bingo. Hasn't coached a single U of A game as yet so I have not a clue. Of course I most certainly HOPE he can and will. Let's just try winning the west for a start. That in itself will be more than a man sized challenge.

99toLife

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 05:10:36 pm
Bingo. Hasn't coached a single U of A game as yet so I have not a clue. Of course I most certainly HOPE he can and will. Let's just try winning the west for a start. That in itself will be more than a man sized challenge.

IF We win the West, We will be Bad Ass. Period.   

PonderinHog

Con el Cerdos

You probably should have given us a time period of say, 3 or 4 years.  Because I don't think Morris will be at Arkansas longer than 4 years, 5 years at the most.  Clemson or A&M will be beckoning, or one of the Big 12 teams based in Texas.

Morris is a coaching nomad.

AHiD

My name...is Jerruh

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

195bc

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 12, 2018, 06:18:43 pm
#inb4somedumbasssayswebelonginthebig12

I don't think we could win the Big 12 in the near future.

No, I don't see us winning the SEC under Morris. Saban probably still has several years left, Florida is about to get rolling again, Georgia is turning into an absolute monster, I think Miss State's head coach may be pretty good, LSU is good even with a bad coach, as is Auburn, we haven't beat A&M in a long time, Ole Miss is out-recruiting us, as is Tennessee and S.C. We've never won one, and I don't see that changing.

So no, we won't win an SEC title under Morris. However, I think we're going to be far more competitive, but no title. It may be like the Petrino years, which is pretty good, so the next 5 years may still be really fun.

Morris or any other coach will not just move us to the top of the SEC.  We will need 3 or 4 typical powerhouses to fail and us to get lucky with the other 2 or 3 powerhouses.  That sort of happened in 2016 and 2017.  There was just 2 or 3 powerhouse teams in the SEC both years.  Unfortunately, we were among the weaklings both years.  This past year, Aubbie was positioned to take out BAMA and GEO.  But just one major injury and they were through.  Overall answer to thread.  No Morris won't win an SECC for us.

rhames

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 06:47:03 pm
Natty next year or send him back to TX!!!!!

I know you're being funny but some on here, at the first sign of struggle (which will come next year), will be saying this very thing.

HE IS AN AGGIE AND DOESNT CARE BOUT DEM HAWGS SEND HIM PACKING BRING BACK BOBBY

GUV will be asked to join a campaign to put this on billboards but will have to pass because he doesn't have the funds. Just like he had to do this year for Bielema.

Pig an pokey will get a "hire Norvell" tattoo across his chest between what I can only assume is 2 crappy shoulder tattoos on what he considers to be his swol body.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

xxtomassxx1980

Quote from: rhames on February 12, 2018, 07:05:50 pm
Pig an pokey will get a "hire Norvell" tattoo across his chest between what I can only assume is 2 crappy shoulder tattoos on what he considers to be his swol body.
I assume "Big Swol" is across his chest. He adds "hire" "Norvell" on each arm. Perfect! Hire Big Swol Norvell!

wildhogman

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on February 12, 2018, 06:45:50 pm
You probably should have given us a time period of say, 3 or 4 years.  Because I don't think Morris will be at Arkansas longer than 4 years, 5 years at the most.  Clemson or A&M will be beckoning, or one of the Big 12 teams based in Texas.

Morris is a coaching nomad.
from 2006 to 2016 you have exactly 7 pages of post in your history with wide gaps, for instance only 2 posts in 2016. Since 2017 you have about 8 pages of posts. 
Secret agent working for the cia and out of country a lot and cannot log on? lol,, Its always interesting to check the post history of people, especially the negative ones

okrazorback

Quote from: wildhogman on February 12, 2018, 07:18:42 pm
from 2006 to 2016 you have exactly 7 pages of post in your history with wide gaps, for instance only 2 posts in 2016. Since 2017 you have about 8 pages of posts. 
Secret agent working for the cia and out of country a lot and cannot log on? lol,, Its always interesting to check the post history of people, especially the negative ones
Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 03:22:15 pm
Malzahn and Orgeron are awful HC's.

Awful head coaches. where have you been?

aloha_kid

Honestly, what we need is for Saban to retire and Malzahn and Orgeron to be fired all in the same offseason.

HAHAHA.  That's not going to happen.  Mumbles and Waffle House will be gone long before Saban retires.

bphi11ips

Only 6 teams have won SEC titles since Arkansas joined in 1991 - Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU and Auburn. The same six won every title except 1 between 1963 and 1990. Kentucky won in 1976. So in 55 years, six teams have divided 54 titles.

Given that history, I'm not "confident" Arkansas will win an SEC title in my lifetime - but - we've won four division titles in 26 years and came very close in 2006, so it can be done.

I am confident of one thing - Arkansas is going to be a good football team under Chad Morris.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

aloha_kid

Quote from: okrazorback on February 12, 2018, 07:21:06 pm
Awful head coaches. where have you been?

Watching Ogeron get fired/not retained from his previous two gigs.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

twistitup

If we can get 2-3 on each side of the ball the caliber of the one we signed on Friday and develop the other players available to us....yes, we could win the SEC

This won't happen overnight, I'm guessing year 3 or 4

Hammerdown Biyatches

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

AHiD

Quote from: rhames on February 12, 2018, 07:05:50 pm
I know you're being funny but some on here, at the first sign of struggle (which will come next year), will be saying this very thing.

HE IS AN AGGIE AND DOESNT CARE BOUT DEM HAWGS SEND HIM PACKING BRING BACK BOBBY NUTT

GUV will be asked to join a campaign to put this on billboards but will have to pass because he doesn't have the funds. Just like he had to do this year for Bielema.

FIFY
My name...is Jerruh

BDSCT51

Yes, he will. (not sure what's in the kool aid I'm drinking tonight)
Bleeding Razorback Red

Bubba's Bruisers

That and even if by some chance he wins the west, then he's almost definitely facing Smart and UGA, which is fast becoming Saban/Bama2.0.  Both programs always having better and more talent.

But I have no delusions of SECC's in this landscape. It's nuts to even be thinking about it given how bad the program has been and that CM has never even coached a game.  I just want us to be relevant again.  Actually have a chance to win any game we play.  To be taken seriously by the big boys of the conference.  Like 2010 and 2011.  I'm hopeful CM can do that.  And I'd be thrilled if he did.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

1highhog

It's way to early to answer that.  I think he could bring about some much needed enthusiasm for the program, especially with an 8 win upcoming season.

sowmonella

Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 04:25:20 pm
Is it a realistic possibility? yes - the ball will have to bounce our way, but it can be done.
Does that mean I am confident? no - it would be stupid to be "confident" given the landscape.
Am I optimistic? hell yes!

WPS

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

johnfanman

Only if he recruits lights out. Otherwise, its four more years of Coach B, without the wife to look at. No offense to Mrs. Morris, lol.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

MDGoHawgs

Maybe. I first want to see how his defense holds up.

Athog

Better hope they never leave!!

hoghevn

ABSOLUTELY!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

jgphillips3

Too soon, but I believe he will take us to a title game at some point.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: wildhogman on February 12, 2018, 07:18:42 pm

Interesting or not, my history is not what you should be concerned about if Morris is a good as we hear he is.  And, that's not negative in any way.  He'll win 8 or 9 games in back to back years by year 3 and 4, with a bowl win maybe even 10.  No championships but there will be interest from other programs, noting the turn-around he has effected here, and if it's a step up he'll bolt.

What you should check is HIS history.  In approximately 25 years as a head coach he has never been anywhere longer than FOUR YEARS.  Just citing facts, which ties to my initial post here.

You can call it negative if you wish but I certainly do not think Arkansas is a destination job for Morris.  Of course a lot here will think so.

I realize that anything posted that isn't what YOU want to read is negative.  Just goes with the territory.  I won't say I told you so, but just remember this post in December of 2021.

sigpooie

It will be so much fun watching this team play with coaches that know what they are doing and are dedicated to doing it.. Thank God the clown is gone. Look back at our games and you'll see kids hanging with the other team for a few quarters or beating the hell out of the other team for a few quarters. Then the coaching and training caught up to them and they were beat. I am as sure as I can be that this team will shock two or three teams and sneak in with 8 wins. There for, thank you..
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

BroyledNutts

Quote from: 99toLife on February 12, 2018, 03:18:37 pm
NO idea at this time..

This. The guy and his staff haven't even coached a practice yet. They haven't even had a run at a full recruiting season.
Let's not start weaving crowns of Laurel leaves until we see something on the field.

alohawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 12, 2018, 07:24:06 pm
Only 6 teams have won SEC titles since Arkansas joined in 1991 - Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU and Auburn. The same six won every title except 1 between 1963 and 1990. Kentucky won in 1976. So in 55 years, six teams have divided 54 titles.

Given that history, I'm not "confident" Arkansas will win an SEC title in my lifetime - but - we've won four division titles in 26 years and came very close in 2006, so it can be done.

I am confident of one thing - Arkansas is going to be a good football team under Chad Morris.

Amazing, odds are definitely against it.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

311Hog

I think the possibility definitely improved with his hire.  And the state of AR is primed for a "rare" class of HS players.  He has to get them.

I think the super bowl showed if you can score you can win =)

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 12, 2018, 07:24:06 pm

Given that history, I’m not “confident” Arkansas will win an SEC title in my lifetime - but - we’ve won four division titles in 26 years and came very close in 2006, so it can be done.

god these are hope killing stats. good grief  and all 6 of them should be title contenders this year as well.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang