Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Musings of an old Razorbacks fan

Started by liljo, February 07, 2018, 10:44:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

liljo

Well, it's February. National signing day has come and passed, and with it a completely new coaching staff is in place. A staff of which the same mixture has never existed. Who knows, maybe this will be a magical story--the kind of story that happens about every season in sports. What if this were to happen?

This coaching staff is put together with several guys who are proven evaluators. Assembling in early January, and working feverishly, these football experts watch all the film they can of every player they have over a feverishly short period of time. In doing so, they come to believe they really can take the roster they have and put together an offense that will not only score, but score a lot more than most fans could have ever realistically expected. These coaches envision winning on offense very quickly by utilizing talent previously not utilized, and by developing players far better than anyone could have foreseen.

The coaches look closely and realize the perils they face defensively. They discuss schematic changes. They think long and hard of ways to help minimize their weaknesses. They work long into the days and nights ahead to recruit an infusion of speed into this defensive group.

Help on the backside of the defense, switching to a 4-3 that the personnel already fits better (though lacking in depth), and going hard after DE help, the coaches seek weapons to try to build a big-play oriented defense that simply seeks to get the football back to its offense for as many possessions as possible.

What if this coaching staff actually pulls it off? What a story that would be?

There are many benefits to being an old fan. You live long enough and you'll find there are many things in life more important than having a winning football team. But, as a FAN, you can always find hope, especially when a new mix of coaches and kids arrive.

I heard somebody on the radio call this years recruits "leftovers" that were simply the best this staff could do for now, given the circumstances. You call 'em what you want. I'll call 'em Razorbacks. I hope they step in and help make this old fan's dream come true.

It could happen. Go Hogs!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Wild Boarnado

I thoroughly enjoyed your musings. That would be a great story. It is exciting times full of hope. I am proud of our new recruiting class and our new coaches and wish them all the very best and success. Thanks for sharing. WPS!!!
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jgphillips3

To be a success this year, all Morris needs to do is get this team to fight for four quarters and show flashes of possibility.  In essence, the biggest thing this year's squad can do, other than win, is give us hope for the future.  Something that has been in short supply for 6 years.

RagingHawgOn

Fantastic post. I, too, am an old fan and have seen the good, bad and ugly over the years.

I have a good feeling about this staff and the things it can accomplish. We do have some good talent on this roster and I bet we see it better utilized. I was a CBB supporter and wish it had worked out. But, I see much better days ahead.

GO HOGS!!!!!

bphi11ips

Great post.  Your kind of enthusiasm needs to once again infect the Arkansas fanbase.  Fans may not be able to play, but "the mysterious influence of the twelfth man on the team" has been recognized since the phrase was first coined by a University of Minnesota magazine in September of 1900. 

Many here say the fans will return when Arkansas starts winning.  Every fanbase is that way to some extent, but large and loud crowds would help this team get on a roll.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 08, 2018, 07:46:39 am
Great post.  Your kind of enthusiasm needs to once again infect the Arkansas fanbase.  Fans may not be able to play, but "the mysterious influence of the twelfth man on the team" has been recognized since the phrase was first coined by a University of Minnesota magazine in September of 1900. 

Many here say the fans will return when Arkansas starts winning.  Every fanbase is that way to some extent, but large and loud crowds would help this team get on a roll.

Aggies are gonna be pissed at you....  just sayin...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

I seen a ton in my 52 years and I am more excited with this staff than I been since Bobby P was hired.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 08, 2018, 08:08:49 am
Aggies are gonna be pissed at you....  just sayin...

Aggies gonna Aggie . . .

moses_007

Anytime there's a coaching change with a new offensive and defensive philosophy there's an aura of excitement among the fans.  It brings us hope for a much better record the upcoming season.

I had this same feeling when Bielema arrived, but, not with quite the excitement this old fan feels right now.  However, when CBB went without an SEC win his first year, I knew we had hired the wrong coach.  It was clear right then he didn't know what he was doing.

CPO Hog

Great post OP. I'm optimistic too.
I think there is more talent/experience on this team than BP had in his first year. I think BP played like 16 freshmen. So, I fully expect this team to be competitive. Maybe not beat the BAMA's, but not get blown out by 50 either.

BDSCT51

Quote from: CPO Hog on February 08, 2018, 10:28:56 am
Great post OP. I'm optimistic too.
I think there is more talent/experience on this team than BP had in his first year. I think BP played like 16 freshmen. So, I fully expect this team to be competitive. Maybe not beat the BAMA's, but not get blown out by 50 either.

Seconding this opinion! Lots to be excited about and hope for with this staff and these players. I firmly believe this will be a "special" year and not in a bad way!
Bleeding Razorback Red

liljo

Getting Dorian Gerald today was really big for The Program. I love this emphasis on defense with this class. I think, as far as the offense, that Coach Morris "knows something." He is going to get some very talented players the football in a lot of open field situations.

I am really going to enjoy watching this staff build this team.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

plumbhog

Great post. We'll see a lot of the same name's on the field this year but I believe we're all gonna be shocked at how much better they are.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

murthage

As an old fan and retired Army COL, it is a pleasure for me to read such an articulate and detailed analysis of the Razorbacks possibilities.  I am impressed with your positive attitude and ability to express yourself.  You, my friend, are an outstanding example of the "Old School".

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: liljo on February 07, 2018, 10:44:27 pm
Well, it's February. National signing day has come and passed, and with it a completely new coaching staff is in place. A staff of which the same mixture has never existed. Who knows, maybe this will be a magical story--the kind of story that happens about every season in sports. What if this were to happen?

This coaching staff is put together with several guys who are proven evaluators. Assembling in early January, and working feverishly, these football experts watch all the film they can of every player they have over a feverishly short period of time. In doing so, they come to believe they really can take the roster they have and put together an offense that will not only score, but score a lot more than most fans could have ever realistically expected. These coaches envision winning on offense very quickly by utilizing talent previously not utilized, and by developing players far better than anyone could have foreseen.

The coaches look closely and realize the perils they face defensively. They discuss schematic changes. They think long and hard of ways to help minimize their weaknesses. They work long into the days and nights ahead to recruit an infusion of speed into this defensive group.

Help on the backside of the defense, switching to a 4-3 that the personnel already fits better (though lacking in depth), and going hard after DE help, the coaches seek weapons to try to build a big-play oriented defense that simply seeks to get the football back to its offense for as many possessions as possible.

What if this coaching staff actually pulls it off? What a story that would be?

There are many benefits to being an old fan. You live long enough and you'll find there are many things in life more important than having a winning football team. But, as a FAN, you can always find hope, especially when a new mix of coaches and kids arrive.

I heard somebody on the radio call this years recruits "leftovers" that were simply the best this staff could do for now, given the circumstances. You call 'em what you want. I'll call 'em Razorbacks. I hope they step in and help make this old fan's dream come true.

It could happen. Go Hogs!
Age definitely brings more perspective. I follow the Hogs closely, but am not as 'into' it like I used to be. As each year goes by, the passion goes down one notch.

Perspective also brings the knowledge that what you've seen you've probably seen before at some point. There is nothing new under the sun. As applied to Razorback football, that generally means that with rare exceptions, that even the good Hog teams will have strong skill position players but will not have as many quality athletes on defense.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 10, 2018, 01:32:11 pm
Age definitely brings more perspective. I follow the Hogs closely, but am not as 'into' it like I used to be. As each year goes by, the passion goes down one notch.

Perspective also brings the knowledge that what you've seen you've probably seen before at some point. There is nothing new under the sun. As applied to Razorback football, that generally means that with rare exceptions, that even the good Hog teams will have strong skill position players but will not have as many quality athletes on defense.
I'll certainly agree that age should bring more and better perspective. With greater life experiences one should hopefully realize that what truly endures and matters when anyone's life is all said and done. As that applies to football, particularly Arkansas football, one also has to have a perspective that just because things have proven difficult over the past few years, this doesn't GUARANTEE or ensure that the trend has to continue unabated. In order to improve we first of all have to want and BELIEVE that such is possible. We also have to have a firm long term plan firmly in place and a process to carry out that vision. It's not hard to have dreams; however, the real key to fulfilling those dreams is to have a blue print and process in place to achieve those lofty goals. Obviously the next phase is to improve and upgrade the talent and to be able to coach the kids to higher levels of maximum performance. It's the game plan that any successful HC and staff follows to greatness. It's the road map that I hope CCM and his staff will embrace and begin putting into place. Only time will tell....and that's the journey.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: murthage on February 10, 2018, 11:34:08 am
As an old fan and retired Army COL, it is a pleasure for me to read such an articulate and detailed analysis of the Razorbacks possibilities.  I am impressed with your positive attitude and ability to express yourself.  You, my friend, are an outstanding example of the "Old School".

I love you "Old School Fans".  This old school fan has been following the Hogs for over 50 years (first game in 1963).  Yes, we have seen the Good, the Bad and the Ugly as Razorback fans.  Good times are coming and very soon.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on February 10, 2018, 02:05:42 pm
I love you "Old School Fans".  This old school fan has been following the Hogs for over 50 years (first game in 1963).  Yes, we have seen the Good, the Bad and the Ugly as Razorback fans.  Good times are coming and very soon.
Well I'll have to officially join the "Old Fart Brigade" then. ;) ;D My first real recollections of a Hog game was the Gator Bowl when the Hogs played Ga. Tech (January 1960). While I don't remember a lot of the specifics, I do recall my parents and grandparents watching the game on an oldie black and white tv and cheering the Hogs on to a hard fought victory.   

BDSCT51

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2018, 02:12:48 pm
Well I'll have to officially join the "Old Fart Brigade" then. ;) ;D My first real recollections of a Hog game was the Gator Bowl when the Hogs played Ga. Tech (January 1960). While I don't remember a lot of the specifics, I do recall my parents and grandparents watching the game on an oldie black and white tv and cheering the Hogs on to a hard fought victory.   

Just turned the big 60 in December. Guessing I'm officially part of the "Old Fart Brigade, Razorback Division" then? My Navy training may get in the way of all these Army terms though.

Been Hog crazy since 67, first game attended was at WMS against Okie Lite in 70 as I recall. Lots of ups and lots of downs but always willing (and have done so!) to call the Hogs in any public place that I felt needed a little "culture".
Bleeding Razorback Red

liljo

Quote from: murthage on February 10, 2018, 11:34:08 am

Thank you, sir, the kind words, and especially for your service.

And thanks to each of you here for allowing an old fan to speak a few hopeful words. I'd call the Hogs with pride with any of you. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BDSCT51 on February 10, 2018, 02:47:43 pm
Just turned the big 60 in December. Guessing I'm officially part of the "Old Fart Brigade, Razorback Division" then? My Navy training may get in the way of all these Army terms though.

Been Hog crazy since 67, first game attended was at WMS against Okie Lite in 70 as I recall. Lots of ups and lots of downs but always willing (and have done so!) to call the Hogs in any public place that I felt needed a little "culture".
In deference to your Navy training shall we designate you the first draftee to the "Old Fart Fleet" ??? ;) 8) :)

I am old, older than anyone so far admits to on this thread.  Been a fan since the early 60s.  Been to many games years ago, not so much any more

This new staff gives me a feeling different from any other since Holtz.  But I learned long ago to not get hooked on the best staff ever, Rainbow Stew scene.  These Guys seem to be willing and able to go to work.  They seem to be open to the average fan, don't appear to want to hide and keep secrets.  When the coaching staff isn't wanting the average fan to SEE his Hogs, I get
to thinking something strange here.  Hard work is the first step toward putting a respectable team on the field.  Refusing to quit, desire, no excuses are all necessary to building any team. 

We are seeing things already from this staff we haven't seen in years.  Getting a recruit or 2 or 3 that nearly everyone felt we simply could not get.  These aren't 2 or three 5 star types but they are still players most felt were beyond our reach.  Putting all hands legally allowed in the field looking, finding and assisting in the little success we have had.  At the very least this staff appears to be totally willing to earn their compensation.  What a breath of fresh air instead of all hot air.

oldbooniehog

And like true Hog fans, all this optimism will last until the Hogs lose to A&M once again, or get 50+ hung on them by Alabama or Auburn.

And then it will be back to the same old Hog fans I know and love.

Fire this guy. Fire that guy. Fire them all.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

liljo

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 10, 2018, 09:27:10 pm
And like true Hog fans, all this optimism will last until the Hogs lose to A&M once again, or get 50+ hung on them by Alabama or Auburn.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

That won't be THIS fan's story. Even if what you say comes to pass. Admittedly though, it appears to be an all too common one.

I just wish the fans would be as loyal as we want the team, coaches, and home grown talent to be.

DLUXHOG

Don't know if anyone remembers this........  Last 7 minutes are pretty cool........

The NewEra

Quote from: liljo on February 07, 2018, 10:44:27 pm

I'm with ya!  I'm an eternal optimist and we are just as likely to be successful as not.  Without hope you have nothing.

I really like what I've seen over the past 70 or so days.

Vantage 8 dude

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Uhh.....another hazard of painting every fan with the same brush. Stupid and down right wrong. No doubt there will be those who will complain and want to immediately fire Chad and staff. However, IMO TRUE Hog fans will be understanding and patient enough to realize it's a process that takes times to build and implement. After six years of below average performances the eventual success or lack thereof will NOT be determined by what happens in 2018. Nope, to adequately judge the wisdom (or not) of these most recent hires it will require a resume built over the next four to five years. Hopefully we will see immediate improvement; I'm most definitely hopeful of such as soon as this next season. However, win or lose I'll be just as interested to observe how hard these kids compete, how well they take to the coaching their receiving, how smart they play. I'll also be watching to see how well the coaching staff gets these kids prepared week in-week out and how effectively they're able to adjust to ebbs and flows of the games themselves. Those will be my standards as we look to the future. And quite honestly, I believe that MOST true Hog fans will take a similar approach and attitude.

GuvHog

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I don't think that will happen this year. Most fans realize that success doesn't happen in football overnight. Now if there isn't noticeable improvement by his 3rd year, things could start to heat up a bit..
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DeltaBoy

The Great Shootout still makes me sick. I remember though it was cold all of us grandkids were sent outside till supper and even then it was like someone had died at the dinner table.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2018, 02:01:24 pm
I'll certainly agree that age should bring more and better perspective. With greater life experiences one should hopefully realize that what truly endures and matters when anyone's life is all said and done. As that applies to football, particularly Arkansas football, one also has to have a perspective that just because things have proven difficult over the past few years, this doesn't GUARANTEE or ensure that the trend has to continue unabated. In order to improve we first of all have to want and BELIEVE that such is possible. We also have to have a firm long term plan firmly in place and a process to carry out that vision. It's not hard to have dreams; however, the real key to fulfilling those dreams is to have a blue print and process in place to achieve those lofty goals. Obviously the next phase is to improve and upgrade the talent and to be able to coach the kids to higher levels of maximum performance. It's the game plan that any successful HC and staff follows to greatness. It's the road map that I hope CCM and his staff will embrace and begin putting into place. Only time will tell....and that's the journey.

Nice post.  I agree with what you say with one exception.  What we (on hogville) believe is not what counts.  However, it is extremely important that  the coaches and players believe and as you say, have a plan and process in place.

Morris seems to have that and hopefully he can convince the players.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2018, 11:54:09 am
Uhh.....another hazard of painting every fan with the same brush. Stupid and down right wrong. No doubt there will be those who will complain and want to immediately fire Chad and staff. However, IMO TRUE Hog fans will be understanding and patient enough to realize it's a process that takes times to build and implement. After six years of below average performances the eventual success or lack thereof will NOT be determined by what happens in 2018. Nope, to adequately judge the wisdom (or not) of these most recent hires it will require a resume built over the next four to five years. Hopefully we will see immediate improvement; I'm most definitely hopeful of such as soon as this next season. However, win or lose I'll be just as interested to observe how hard these kids compete, how well they take to the coaching their receiving, how smart they play. I'll also be watching to see how well the coaching staff gets these kids prepared week in-week out and how effectively they're able to adjust to ebbs and flows of the games themselves. Those will be my standards as we look to the future. And quite honestly, I believe that MOST true Hog fans will take a similar approach and attitude.

Great post.  I believe you're right.

Every team has fans who are never happy.  One of the first things I remember about Razorbacks games was all the complaining about Frank Broyles, and this was the late 60s.There was always one or more of those fans within earshot.  If I heard "pooch punt" once, I heard it a million times.  It has always been that way and always will be.  Razorbacks fans aren't unique.  Cowboys and Titans fans are the same.  I was taught early that complaining and booing (even the other team or refs) is bad sportsmanship. 

Message boards give those unhappy, negative fans an outlet 24/7/365.  I don't think there are any more than there ever have been as a percentage of the fanbase.  It's just harder to ignore them if you like to frequent a message board like Hogville, and there are definitely some hardcore negative fans here.  Doesn't mean they love the Hogs any less, though . 

Al Boarland

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 11:18:13 am
we are just as likely to be successful as not. 

All data would point to this being a false statement.

As for the OP. I throughly e not the post. It reads like a movie plot.

I think Chad Morris has the makIngs but I have no intention of giving him or anyone else 5 or 6 years to SHOW ME SOMETHING WORTH LOOKING AT AS FAR AS PROGRESS.  WE JUST FINISHED THIS BRAIN DEAD SCHEME WITH BRET.  I have no authority in what will or will not happen but if I did, Morris and company would get days, then weeks, then months, then seasons, then years.  With me, Morris has already passed the days, weeks and is working on months.  He looks like a coach, talks like a coach, works like a coach.  Can he teach like a coach, scheme like a coach, have the longterm energy of a coach.  I don't know but he has at least started out in the right direction. 

I watched strong, smart humans who do well in their lives and in the community back and encourage this TRAINWRECK we finally got rid of.  This TRAINWRECK was worse than I ever thought it would be when it started.  We had miles and miles of track to stop this wreck from its total destruction, but hell no, we did nothing for far too long.  I hope we give Morris the compensation and tools to make a go of it.  If failure starts creeping in, fire his ass and don't look back.  We got folks still pining over this recent TRAINWRECK.  Bret didn't earn his paycheck and left with millions that could have been better spent on Arkansas children who often go to bed hungry and we still pine over this grown man.

liljo

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 15, 2018, 03:27:58 pm
Great post.  I believe you're right.

Every team has fans who are never happy.  One of the first things I remember about Razorbacks games was all the complaining about Frank Broyles, and this was the late 60s.There was always one or more of those fans within earshot.  If I heard "pooch punt" once, I heard it a million times.  It has always been that way and always will be.  Razorbacks fans aren't unique.  Cowboys and Titans fans are the same.  I was taught early that complaining and booing (even the other team or refs) is bad sportsmanship. 

Message boards give those unhappy, negative fans an outlet 24/7/365.  I don't think there are any more than there ever have been as a percentage of the fanbase.  It's just harder to ignore them if you like to frequent a message board like Hogville, and there are definitely some hardcore negative fans here.  Doesn't mean they love the Hogs any less, though .

You are so right, Mr. Phillips. I remember those days. It's really just that my house was full of slam crazy Hog fans, and the games were enjoyed mostly on the radio and occasionally on black and white TV. I had one uncle that we wouldn't even let come over, he was so confounded negative. And I got my heart broke watching the Big Shootout at a barbershop where I learned every cuss word the US Navy ever invented. Marines and Army, too!

We live in a non-stop 24-hour news cycle now, so we are going to hear it all. Y'all listen close now, turn your ears towards Malvern...that'll be me and mine Callin' the Hogs!

...that is, when I'm not dreaming about what this team Just Might Do. 

Pig Soooooooeeeeee!

JIHawg

It could be like Houston's or Lou's first years, or it could be like Petrino's or Bielema's first year.  I'm leaning toward Houston or Lous.  I think there's enough talent.  They just need to be inspired to play four quarters with their hair on fire.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: JIHawg on February 16, 2018, 01:19:02 pm
It could be like Houston's or Lou's first years, or it could be like Petrino's or Bielema's first year.  I'm leaning toward Houston or Lous.  I think there's enough talent.  They just need to be inspired to play four quarters with their hair on fire.

I'll take Lou Holtz's year one record of 11-1 over Nutt's 9-3 record any day............ call me crazy......

Hoggish1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 08, 2018, 08:25:34 am
I seen a ton in my 52 years and I am more excited with this staff than I been since Bobby P was hired.

Right-on and the bonus will be that there will be an iron-clad relationship with the people you need most to be on your side:  The HS coaches, which was never Bobby's forte!

liljo

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 18, 2018, 10:31:53 am
Right-on and the bonus will be that there will be an iron-clad relationship with the people you need most to be on your side:  The HS coaches, which was never Bobby's forte!

Perhaps it was because I was rocked back in my easy chair when I read this comment, and then dozed off, maybe that's why I had this dream. I fed it with my imagination and this was it:

Coach Morris and Coach Chavis close the deal on a very good number of excellent Texas talent.  There are many that will want either Arkansas or A&M, too many probably for Arkansas to even take due to the surprising talent that this staff is going to help develop right in in Arkansas high schools. And this staff is going to pick up good talent from Louisiana and throughout the south clear around to Carolina, just smaller numbers--and likely many of which fill very particularly specific needs...

Kids out of Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma that want to show the Toughest Conference in MCAA Football that they can play, don't have THAT many options, and Arkansas is one of 'em.  Arkansas, sold by this staff, is very possibly going to become a powerful attraction if that message is packaged and wrapped in loud and loyal support and excitement from a bunch of rabid sloberberin' Razorback fans.

I'm dreaming of the upcoming season, praying for the kids' health and well-being, and watching with hope and enthusiasm. And I'm imagining a class next year where the Hogs land a group of "5* players" that will raise the hopes and lift the hearts of even the most doubtful fans, as well.

liljo

Quote from: liljo on February 18, 2018, 09:40:03 pm
Perhaps it was because I was rocked back in my easy chair when I read this comment, and then dozed off, maybe that's why I had this dream. I fed it with my imagination and this was it:

Coach Morris and Coach Chavis close the deal on a very good number of excellent Texas talent.  There are many that will want either Arkansas or A&M, too many probably for Arkansas to even take due to the surprising talent that this staff is going to help develop right in in Arkansas high schools. And this staff is going to pick up good talent from Louisiana and throughout the south clear around to Carolina, just smaller numbers--and likely many of which fill very particularly specific needs...

Kids out of Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma that want to show the Toughest Conference in NCAA Football that they can play, don't have THAT many options, and Arkansas is one of 'em.  Arkansas, sold by this staff, is very possibly going to become a powerful attraction if that message is packaged and wrapped in loud and loyal support and excitement from a bunch of rabid sloberberin' Razorback fans.

I'm dreaming of the upcoming season, praying for the kids' health and well-being, and watching with hope and enthusiasm. And I'm imagining a class next year where the Hogs land a group of "5* players" that will raise the hopes and lift the hearts of even the most doubtful fans, as well.

liljo

Sorry for double post. Was trying to fix my spelling of "NCAA football"

Oklahawg

Great OP, sorry I missed it earlier.

Thank god the players and coaches don't have a website where they dissect every little detail about us as fans. Some of us would lose our Razorback privileges and be stuck rooting for a team with a direction in it, or with the nickname of "Aggies."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 11, 2018, 11:10:18 am
Don't know if anyone remembers this........  Last 7 minutes are pretty cool........

Young Dan Ferritor sure did look alot like Chad Morris...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.