May 04, 2024, 05:46:23 am

Time to Purge Programs?

Started by WoooPigBrewie, November 21, 2017, 03:37:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:57:02 pm
That is not important.

Football is important.

We need more resources.  Cut off the dead weight.

I get the reverse troll but sadly there are people who believe like you do.

There were fans pissed when Jeff Long and the athletic department gave money back to the university to help build Champions Hall:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/academic-and-athletic-leaders-dedicate-champions-hall/

QuoteFAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — University of Arkansas academic and athletic leaders together dedicated Champions Hall, the first new classroom building on campus since 2007, in a ribbon cutting ceremony at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 15.

The 62,000-square-foot structure cost $26.5 million to build and equip. A significant amount of the funding was made possible by the U of A Athletics Department, which committed a portion of the university's annual share of Southeastern Conference revenues to the project. Those funds will be used to pay off approximately $18 million in bonds that were issued to build the Champions Hall.

"Our growing student population here at the University of Arkansas made a new building for classrooms absolutely essential," said interim Chancellor Dan Ferritor. "But every new building on campus presents a funding challenge, and it was the support of the Athletics Department that made this building possible. That's why it's named Champions Hall — to honor our athletic champions and the ways our athletics department gives back to this university."

The four-story building houses nine general purpose classrooms, 12 biology labs, and the Math Resource and Teaching Center. The center includes a testing center, office space for many of the math teaching faculty and a teaching center where students can study and get help with mathematics. Nearly all U of A undergraduates are required to take introductory math and biology classes to meet core curriculum requirements. An estimated 8,000 students will take math classes in Champions Hall this semester, with another 3,000 students using the biology labs. An additional 2,700 students will use the general purpose classrooms.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 04:03:57 pm
Yes, thank you.

By the time the University fires an AD and HC and hires a new AD and HC, we will have spent over $20 million.

Smart!

Oh no! Not money that is solely derived from athletics and donations and in no way affects the University as a whole or the academics therein! Say it isn't so!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 04:05:12 pm
Oh no! Not money that is solely derived from athletics and donations and in no way affects the University as a whole or the academics therein! Say it isn't so!
A $20 million setback has no impact.

Smart!
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Mr Jade

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 04:06:24 pm

Smart!

It's alright Mr. Long. Do you need to take a quick little nap? It'll help you feel better. Try logging off the internet for a little while too there little buddy.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: factchecker on November 21, 2017, 04:04:19 pm
I get the reverse troll but sadly there are people who believe like you do.

There were fans pissed when Jeff Long and the athletic department gave money back to the university to help build Champions Hall:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/academic-and-athletic-leaders-dedicate-champions-hall/
Reverse troll.

Nice!
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 21, 2017, 04:08:11 pm
It's alright Mr. Long. Do you need to take a quick little nap? It'll help you feel better. Try logging off the internet for a little while too there little buddy.
Yes, let me go count my $4.65 million and I'll get back to you.

Bret and I will have a counting party.

Stop by.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

Hog33

A little issue called Title Nine

Rocket23

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:49:43 pm
Just trying to save the University some time, effort, and money.  Think about how much we could put into football without five sports handcuffing and sucking the money out?

You don't understand Title IX then.  We have to have to number of women's sports to offset the numbers inequality football creates.  It is also proven by studies that successful sports programs spur on enrollment growth by enhancing the campus experience.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:43:18 pm
The fans don't care.  When is the last time you checked out the Swimming & Diving team? The Men's and Women's Golf teams? The Men's and Women's Tennis teams?
they are #1 in the Nation , dude. wth is wrong with you///
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Rocket23 on November 21, 2017, 04:22:27 pm
You don't understand Title IX then.  We have to have to number of women's sports to offset the numbers inequality football creates.  It is also proven by studies that successful sports programs spur on enrollment growth by enhancing the campus experience.

What rocket said. It's all about Title IX. You have to have women SCHOLARSHIPs to equal the mens scholarships, if you don't catch that. 85 women's scholarships to offset football. Most of those extra men's scholarships aren't full, like in baseball.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lstewart on November 21, 2017, 03:44:44 pm
Well crap, we can also cancel those pesky classes and professors who cause all the problems. We sure don't need them to keep the fans happy.  What a great idea!!!!
This is exactly the attitude of many "Fans", including some on the BoT, apparently.  they advocate cheating and are happy we fired one of the top AD's in the nation FOR NO REASON.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

I love it when Hogville can't see their own hypocrisy...
All Gas, No Brakes!

PorkRinds

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 21, 2017, 03:45:20 pm
Congrats on the dumbest post ever on Hogville.     Most of the teams you mentioned are doing pretty well.  Just go back to your hole and be quite.

Quite what? Don't leave us hanging.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 04:06:24 pm

Smart!
That money comes from The Razorback Foundation which is a separate privately funded institution. None of the $20 million comes from state or university coffers... The money gained back by cutting sports would never be allowed to be used by The Razorback Foundation anyway.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

31to6

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:37:43 pm
Is it time to start purging some of the sports programs at the University of Arkansas?

I believe the past few weeks have shown that the fans and Board of Trustees only care about football.  When it sinks, we all sink.
You are looking at it completely backward.

If you care about Swimming and Golf and Badminton and Curling and whatever other sport, then you care about football.

Because Football (and to a lesser extent, Basketball) funds *everything else*.

If we suck at football and revenues go down, then every other sport suffers.

It's not right. It's not wrong. It's just the way it is.

oldhawg

Is the purpose of college athletics solely to be a profitable business enterprise? 

If so, then perhaps colleges (and high schools) should get out of the athletic business and turn those programs over to the professionals.  The University of Arkansas could sell its Razorback name and rent its facilities to an organization solely for the purpose of entertainment.  That way everything except football, and perhaps basketball and baseball could be eliminated. 

Each team could be evaluated for its profitability each year, and those not making a profit could be put on probation for a couple of years before being dropped.  Razorback sports teams could negotiate contracts with major league teams to become farm teams of those organizations. 

Won't have to worry about APR's, students cutting classes, and all that nonsense.  Leave the amateur status to the Service Academies, the Ivy League, the NAIA, and the such.

The Razorbacks could still keep their trophies for forty+ National Championships in Track and Field and Cross Country for nostalgic reasons, but at least the nonprofitable programs would be purged

hog911

Quote from: WoooPigBrewie on November 21, 2017, 03:47:07 pm
Doesn't matter that they are doing well.

1) Nobody attends their games, matches, or meets.

2) They have little to no revenue ability.

Remember we are a football only school.

It's kind of pointless to be great at something no one is willing to pay to see!  I think we need a curling team, I'm pretty good with a broom!

From Tusk Till Dawn

Im not sure if this is Michael E Davis but your my new favorite poster.