Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I see it this way

Started by welchog, November 21, 2017, 02:28:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

welchog

Should Auburn lose to Bama, which is probable, they wind up in a 3 way biding war with Tenner  and TAMU for BP's services.

welchog

That said,  we should do a preemptive strike and offer BP now.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

welchog

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2017, 02:28:07 pm
Should Auburn lose to Bama, which is probable, they wind up in a 3 way biding war with Tenner  and TAMU for BP's services.

The only people who want Bobby Petrino as their coach are 1/3 of the Louisville Fan Base and 1/3 of the Arkansas fan base.  Bobby's moment has passed.  His offense has been dissected, it isn't new or dynamic any more and he doesn't emphasize defense enough to win anything of significance.

EastexHawg

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2017, 02:29:57 pm

I agree.  It would be a great story of redemption.  I think Petrino would work as hard as he possibly could to prove that bringing him back was not a mistake as well as to make up for his own selfishness and role in his demise.  Not going to happen, but I wish it would.  I think he is a better coach than whoever we hire will be.

Hoggish1

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2017, 02:29:57 pm

He needs bike lessons first.

HogPharmer

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2017, 02:33:07 pm
The 3 way or the offer?

I wouldn't be into a 3 way.... Not with Petrino. That's not my style.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

island hog

No way Petrino ends up in Aggieland.  They don't want anyone with drama or any blemishes going forward.   

HogPharmer

Quote from: island hog on November 21, 2017, 02:50:34 pm
No way Petrino ends up in Aggieland.  They don't want anyone with drama or any blemishes going forward.   

Plus he's good at making the Aggies lose

EastexHawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 02:39:03 pm
The only people who want Bobby Petrino as their coach are 1/3 of the Louisville Fan Base and 1/3 of the Arkansas fan base.  Bobby's moment has passed.  His offense has been dissected, it isn't new or dynamic any more and he doesn't emphasize defense enough to win anything of significance.

According to what?  Of active coaches with ten or more years of D1 experience Petrino has the 7th highest career winning percentage at .711.  The coaches ahead of him are:

Urban Meyer
Chris Petersen
Nick Saban
Dabo Swinney
Mark Richt
Gary Patterson

Who do you need to pass on that list to qualify as one of the top coaches in America?

Paul

He did what with a Heisman trophy winner at QB?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 21, 2017, 02:52:42 pm
According to what?  Of active coaches with ten or more years of D1 experience Petrino has the 7th highest career winning percentage at .711.  The coaches ahead of him are:

Urban Meyer
Chris Petersen
Nick Saban
Dabo Swinney
Mark Richt
Gary Patterson

Who do you need to pass on that list to qualify as one of the top coaches in America?

So what?  Do you think he is in the same league as the coaches you have listed up there?  Take a look at his second stint at Louisville and tell me if you think that is a coach who would be in high demand.  9,8,9,7 that's how many games he's won in his second time around at Louisville. Decent to be sure, but just decent.  Let's face it that is against a pretty favorable schedule in his conference.  He is a slightly above average coach, that's all.   

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 21, 2017, 02:42:38 pm
I agree.  It would be a great story of redemption.  I think Petrino would work as hard as he possibly could to prove that bringing him back was not a mistake as well as to make up for his own selfishness and role in his demise.  Not going to happen, but I wish it would.  I think he is a better coach than whoever we hire will be.

Yes I think if he came back to a school for a second stint he would work tirelessly and bring that school a national championship by his fourth year. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 04:02:37 pm
So what?  Do you think he is in the same league as the coaches you have listed up there?  Take a look at his second stint at Louisville and tell me if you think that is a coach who would be in high demand.  9,8,9,7 that's how many games he's won in his second time around at Louisville. Decent to be sure, but just decent.  Let's face it that is against a pretty favorable schedule in his conference.  He is a slightly above average coach, that's all.   

It's not like he's winning those games with superior talent.  He's not perfect to be sure, but he goes into a lot of games with equal or inferior talent.  A lot like he did at UA.  Averaging over 8 wins at LV is pretty good.

His obvious weakness is his personality, which spills over into recruiting.  The dude has never coached at a program that can attract elite talent in any measureable numbers.  If he got say the AU job, then I'd like to see what he's capable of. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

factchecker

1. Bobby 2.0 is nowhere near as good as old Bobby.  He couldn't win anything with a heisman QB.
2. We are not wanting Bobby.  The race is between Norvell or Gus.
3. Even if we wanted Bobby we can not outbid AnM.  He would have to want to come here on his own.  Which leads to #4.
4. Bobby isn't coming back.

I'll explain #3 a little more in detail.  This isn't a poor arkansas post - it's the truth.  I hate the aggies as much as anybody but they have money.  Their fanbase is full of rich alumni that support the program through thick and thin.  When the team isn't doing well they turn on the AD or coaches but they never turn on their alma mater/favorite team.  Our fans..... not so much.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 04:02:37 pm

Do I think he has coached in conferences as good as the MAC, WAC, Conference USA, and Mountain West where Meyer, Petersen, and Patterson spent several years each?  Yeah, I would say so.  Of course no one is saying Petrino is better than Meyer and Saban, but who is?  No one, at least not among active coaches.  There is a reason why those guys have won eight national championships between them.  They are great coaches and they have coached at some of the top football schools in America.

Patterson is 49-22 since TCU joined the Big 12.  That's a .690 winning percentage, which is really good, but he was 77-13 for .855 in the Mountain West before they moved to the Big 12. 

By the time a coach has been around for 10-15 years he is for the most part what his record says he is.  They have all coached in better conferences and worse conferences, at better football schools and worse.  Staying at one school for many years is the exception, not the rule.  Coaches who have won at different places weren't always just plain lucky and their success wasn't a fluke.  Being one of the top ten doesn't mean you are the best, it simply means the school that gets you is probably going to have an outstanding coach.

welchog

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 21, 2017, 08:39:01 pm
MODS, PLEASE PUT THIS POST IN THE TRASH NOW!

Why.  Feelings hurt much?

HoggyCat

Three way bidding war for a washed up BP & a questionable Chip Kelly......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Tony Perkis

If the impossible were to happen (obvi won't), would BP be the first coach to coach at 2 colleges 2 separate times?

texas tush hog

Quote from: island hog on November 21, 2017, 02:50:34 pm

He more than likely succeeds Gus at Auburn, after he comes home to Fayetteville.

Hogvillage Idiot

I respect BP as a coach, but I just don't get the love affair that some of our fans have for him.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

ur

So Aggies, Auburn, Tenn, poss Fla may all bid for BP but we think he is washed up? He's not worth the argument but that is interesting. I think we will go for the younger version if we get that far down the list. Kiffin

ShilohTreyDad#67

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 21, 2017, 02:52:42 pm

Urban Meyer
Chris Petersen
Nick Saban
Dabo Swinney
Mark Richt
Gary Patterson

There's still some fans that believe in a Coach having character.  BP does not have it.

farmhawg

And you think Gus does? Ha!
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Paul on November 21, 2017, 03:48:54 pm
He did what with a Heisman trophy winner at QB?

Well, let's see. BP took a 3 star recruit that was not highly recruited and turned him into a Heisman Trophy winner. That's impressive.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on November 21, 2017, 10:40:19 pm
I respect BP as a coach, but I just don't get the love affair that some of our fans have for him.

Then you didn't pay attention in 2010 and 2012.

GuvHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 21, 2017, 10:35:15 pm

He more than likely succeeds Gus at Auburn, after he comes home to Fayetteville.

I'd prefer either Venables or Norvell but if it ends up being a choice between BP and Gus, I'd take BP anytime. Gus is just plain BAD NEWS.

You Gus huggers need to give up. Gus isn't coming.

The NewEra

Bobby Petrino's antics are the reason Arkansas has had such a rough stretch over the past six years and some people would invite him back to do the same thing again?  That has to fit the definition of insanity!

welchog

Quote from: The NewEra on November 22, 2017, 08:54:50 am
Bobby Petrino's antics are the reason Arkansas has had such a rough stretch over the past six years and some people would invite him back to do the same thing again?  That has to fit the definition of insanity!

He learned his lesson.  He's still hungry.  JL has left the building.  HIRE him yesterday for Pete's sake!!!

ipigsooie

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 21, 2017, 02:48:26 pm
I wouldn't be into a 3 way.... Not with Petrino. That's not my style.

Even if JD was involved? She was pretty hot. Lol