Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question on recruiting

Started by HOG FANATIC, December 10, 2008, 07:02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG FANATIC

I think Trey Biddy said on DTS that we only get 27 schollies this year total.  Even the two that count on last years numbers will count on that 27.  That doesn't make sense to me, can anyone clear this up?  Does Davie leaving give us another?

Oklahawg

We only had 23 make it from the 2008 class. We can sign 2 guys mid-term (ie, they start classes in January) and count back to the 2008 class (to give it 25).

We can sign as many as we want in any class, and will sign more than 25 this February. However, only 25 can ultimately be on scholarship come the first day of classes in August. Yes, some of those we sign in February can actually start classes in January (ie, Knile Davis, if he passes his English class).

Davie's college was paid for by his pro baseball contract. We could only replace a 3rd-5th year player on scholarship with someone who had already been on the team for 2 years (ie, walk-on; this is how Lucas Miller got his scholarship). Heath Miller, the safety from NLR who played a lot as as special teamer this year as a true frosh, has to pay his way one more year before he can go on scholarship and have it not affect the current class.

Hope that helps.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SquidBilly

Trey is right.  We can sign 25 HS seniors and 2 midterm enrollees to count back to last year's class.  And I keep hearing this about Davie but why would he be thinking about going pro?  Is he graduating early or something and has just decided to forego his final season of eligibility?  That might make sense I guess but it would make no sense to go pro if he still has another year of work to do towards his degree.  I just don't see him as a big enough NFL prospect to be able to live off that the rest of his life.

Bohawg

That's a good appraisal of our situation Oklahawg.  As far as Davie is concerned, I think his decision is based on his age (25+) and that he is married.  He is also not gonna be the featured tight end with DJ around.  He is probably as healthy and marketable as he is gonna get.  It seems like he has the physical tools, so hopefully he can catch on somewhere.

HOG FANATIC