Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The First CFB Game You Remember other than the Hogs

Started by orvillesghost, September 22, 2016, 08:33:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

orvillesghost

With all the games on TV now and tons of games on each Saturday, its a bit hard for me to remember the days when it was ABC and you saw one game on Saturday, either a national or *regional* game for your area.

While trying to make time pass quickly before the Saturday night game with the Ags, I got to wondering, what is the first college game you remember well or that made a big impression on you other than a game involving Arkansas?

For me..Oklahoma-Nebraska 1971, Johnny Rodgers vs. Jack Mildren...

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

southeasthog

Alabama/Nebraska and Johnny Musso. Era of the tear-away jerseys.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Oklahawg

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 22, 2016, 08:33:19 pm
With all the games on TV now and tons of games on each Saturday, its a bit hard for me to remember the days when it was ABC and you saw one game on Saturday, either a national or *regional* game for your area.

While trying to make time pass quickly before the Saturday night game with the Ags, I got to wondering, what is the first college game you remember well or that made a big impression on you other than a game involving Arkansas?

Same for me! Had family who lived in Nebraska in town for the Thanksgiving holiday. Rooted for the homestate Sooners. Reproduced the Johnny Rodgers punt return for touchdown for a long time in the backyard on my own. Wound up rooting for Nebraska the next year only to have the Sooners shut out (I think) the Huskers. Been a favorite game of mine ever since. I believe that the game is back on here in a few years. Shrewd marketing by both schools.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

greghog

USC vs. ND - ND lead something like 24 - 3 at half, USC ran back the 2nd half kick off and just scored, scored and scored.  Won something like 52 - 24.

LZH

As far as I can remember, it would have to be the 1976 Cotton Bowl against Georgia. Can't say I remember ever watching a football game before that. Because the next year was when Dorsett won the Heisman - I did see Pitt play Notre Dame on TV as well as Broyles last game as football coach at Arkansas (lost to Texas or A&M, something like 30-12...can't remember).

I remember that 71 OK/NB game.  I remember the USC/ ND games that were TV fare every year.  But my first football game on TV ever was an all star game of some sort that had a dude named Jim Brown as the RB and he ate up everybody that night on TV.  I didn't understand much about football but even I knew that fellow was a really great player.  Everyone knew he would get the ball and no one could do much about it.

hoss cartrack

Quote from: greghog on September 22, 2016, 09:14:26 pm
USC vs. ND - ND lead something like 24 - 3 at half, USC ran back the 2nd half kick off and just scored, scored and scored.  Won something like 52 - 24.
#28--Anthony Davis  was the star of the game for the Irish.  I remember it well.

For me though....it was Notre Dame vs. Michigan State.  I was about 4...maybe 5(1969 or 1970) and I came into the front room and my dad was watching.  I sat with him and watched...asking a million questions.  I was hooked on football after that.
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

PossumFan

I'm sure I saw an awful lot of games before this one, but the one I remember is Arkansas State's loss to North Dakota State in the 1968 "College Division" Pecan Bowl. First time I realized anyone other than the Hogs were playing football worth watching in Arkansas. Ended up going to ASU and watching great Indians like James Hamilton, Calvin Harrell, David Hines, Jimmy Lisko, Mike Malham, Jerry Muckensturm, Bill Phillips and others. That '75 team that went 11-0 could have given the Hogs a battle.

Bacons Rebellion

The 1966 Notre Dame - Michigan State game in which they played to a 10-10 tie.

I was 7.

Notre Dame had the ball at the end of the game with the score tied and ran a quarterback sneak to end the game. I was appalled that any team could have the ball and just settle for a tie. Notre Dame went to the bottom of my football list and has never risen very far above that since then.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: hoss cartrack on September 22, 2016, 09:25:07 pm
#28--Anthony Davis  was the star of the game for the Irish.  I remember it well.

You remember it well, alright. Except that Anthony Davis played for the Trojans. Other, than that, memory like a steel trap. I'm jealous -- I can't even find my keys.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: PossumFan on September 22, 2016, 09:37:44 pm
I'm sure I saw an awful lot of games before this one, but the one I remember is Arkansas State's loss to North Dakota State in the 1968 "College Division" Pecan Bowl. First time I realized anyone other than the Hogs were playing football worth watching in Arkansas. Ended up going to ASU and watching great Indians like James Hamilton, Calvin Harrell, David Hines, Jimmy Lisko, Mike Malham, Jerry Muckensturm, Bill Phillips and others. That '75 team that went 11-0 could have given the Hogs a battle.

I remember that game. My Dad had graduated from Arkansas State (and played football for a year or so until he hurt his knee) and I was really happy for him he was going to get to watch "his" team (since we were all about the Hogs).

pignparadise

1965 Orange Bowl Texas defeats Alabama and Joe Namath. Hogs won National  Championship that night because of the Texas win. It was the first time I ever watched a color tv.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Pigsknuckles

OU/Nebraska for us Tulsa residents was the Thanksgiving game of the year. Though I have long past relinquished any allegiance to OU, the Johnny Rodgers officiating disaster on that punt return still burns my biscuits. At least 3 clips (as they called them at the time) were committed on that return.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Johnny+Rodgers+Punt+return&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Professor Psychosis

Miami vs. Oklahoma in the '88 Orange Bowl.  Probably other football games that day, and probably other games in that '87 season, but I don't remember specific ones.

My first Hog game was the '87 Orange Bowl against Oklahoma.  That was not a good one for a first game.

trphog

I was 5 years old (1985) and it was a Chicago Bears game after church one Sunday afternoon. I don't remember the specific game but I remember the specific player who grabbed my attention - #34. I think they called him "Sweetness." :)

RoaminHawg

1st game I went to was 1977 Alabama vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. Only loss Alabama had that year. Bear Bryant vs. Tom Osborne!

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 22, 2016, 09:43:17 pm
The 1966 Notre Dame - Michigan State game in which they played to a 10-10 tie.

I was 7.

Notre Dame had the ball at the end of the game with the score tied and ran a quarterback sneak to end the game. I was appalled that any team could have the ball and just settle for a tie. Notre Dame went to the bottom of my football list and has never risen very far above that since then.

This is the first one that I thought of also. Bubba Smith played for MSU that year I believe.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Was an Army brat so was out of country a lot, but I did keep up with hogs since 64-65.  First memorable non-hog game would have to be Thanksgiving 1971. Nebraska 35-OU 31.  Hell of a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Yh867H4Sg

EFBAB

Hogwild

The earliest game that I remember, comes down to one play.

The Band is out on the Field

HogShat

I guess I didn't commit any to memory really. I remember Fl State and ND playing at some point when I was just out of high school, 91-92 maybe. We were at the deer camp and my cousins husband said he would like to see ND win. My Papaw flew into a rage and eventually asked him, "What are you boy?? A damn Catholic????" It was pretty darn funny.
Farthest back that I have really committed to memory was when  ::hornsdown:: beat USC in the natty. I was yelling like crazy when Vince ran it in! Realized at that point just how much I despised Petey and the Trojans. 

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

DeltaBoy

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 22, 2016, 08:33:19 pm

Michigan vs Ohio State or OU vs Texas 1969 along with the Great Shootout.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

EastexHawg

Probably the bowl games after the 1968 season...Texas thumping Tennessee in the Cotton, SMU beating Oklahoma in the Bluebonnet, and Ohio State knocking off O.J. Simpson and USC in the Rose Bowl.

The first regular season game other than the Hogs that I remember clearly was Alabama and their QB Scott Hunter holding on to beat Archie Manning and Ole Miss in what was at that time considered a high scoring shootout.  I was rooting hard for Ole Miss!

Pulled(PP)pork

Fresno St with my dad as a kid....stadium was pretty empty, but the coolest thing I had ever done up to that point.  My dad later got to work the sidelines with the chain gang.

Memories

Pulled

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 23, 2016, 08:12:40 am
Hail Flutie '84
you were there??  I'll never forget watching that game on tv, waiting for my parents to get home so I could explain to my dad what he missed.

Pulled

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 27, 2016, 09:39:32 am
you were there??  I'll never forget watching that game on tv, waiting for my parents to get home so I could explain to my dad what he missed.

Pulled

It was a great game as BC beats the Unbeatable U!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.