Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey/Smith Youtube

Started by BENJAMINX, March 15, 2008, 11:25:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

so beverly being accused is being guilty now? by the way nothing came out of that, thomas shouldn't have beat up his girlfriend but noone knows the whole story there except him and his girl, and a former player got arrested? really, that's all you got? so a former player can never be arrested for the their whole life or u of a is "thug".....ok, do you REALLY want me to look up all the tenn players and former players who have been arrested? that would put this thread on page 25 or something. i'll spare everone. take that trash back to tenn. where you got it from!
Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 16, 2008, 07:45:53 am
Well it worked out for Pel, since he won

I wonder if the attitude would have been different if you lost

Speaking of Thug U

Let's see
You've got beverly who was accused by his baby's mother, of accepting cash from an agent, and she wanted some of it for child support

Thomas beat up his girlfriend

Then last week, a former player was arrested in Fayetteville, for drugs and weapons, and he was on the National Championship team

So that looks like there's a long history of troubled players at Arkansas

vol_in_ar

Quote from: lildrummerboy2004 on March 16, 2008, 09:58:27 am
so beverly being accused is being guilty now? by the way nothing came out of that, thomas shouldn't have beat up his girlfriend but noone knows the whole story there except him and his girl, and a former player got arrested? really, that's all you got? so a former player can never be arrested for the their whole life or u of a is "thug".....ok, do you REALLY want me to look up all the tenn players and former players who have been arrested? that would put this thread on page 25 or something. i'll spare everone. take that trash back to tenn. where you got it from!

I didn't have to look anything up

opineonswine

Quote from: HeyBC on March 16, 2008, 12:46:31 am
So do you guys really think it's appropriate for a head coach to tell a player to "shut the **** up"?

Seems a bit immature to me. Congrats on the win, by the way.

Yes, when they deserve it.

opineonswine

Speaking of Thug U

Let's see
You've got beverly who was accused by his baby's mother, of accepting cash from an agent, and she wanted some of it for child support

Then last week, a former player was arrested in Fayetteville, for drugs and weapons, and he was on the National Championship team

You mean like players offering recruits drugs at Tennessee?  I don't think I'd start that fight Hillbilly.

vol_in_ar

I never said were angels
but alot of folks on here just jump on the Thug U comments, and couldn't name one instance

not directing that at you, but I think you know what I mean

eathill5

Speaking of Thug U

Let's see

Do you really want to get into a war of words over troubled atheletes at each school.  Please say you do because I could type for the next 3 hours on hoodlums from Tenn.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

vol_in_ar

Boarcephus

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 16, 2008, 05:36:14 am
Yeah, like when Brian Williams fouled out.  He dropped the f-bomb in front of and directed at the official who whistled him for #5, and not a thing was done about it.

But they T'ed up Rhodes of MSU late in the game for something he said in a pile with the game still on the line.  It couldn't have been any worse than Williams bellowing out "this is F**** BS!!"  several times.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

eathill5

maybe not on your bball team.  The only thing we have had on our team is Thomas.  The pbev thing was a joke.   And I think you are reaching when you say former players.  I think everyone was saying "thug U".  "U" would mean university which is made up of more than just your bball team.  And you really don't want to go there.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

claycohog

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 16, 2008, 10:23:06 am
on our  BB team....
Tenn. will be on probation within 3 yrs.  Pearl Necklace is a thug therefore your players are thugs.  It seems your women's coach is becoming more like a thug every day.  Funny how darn rubs off, huh.

bhuie

bobohog

I equate all this to what Will Muschamp called us in football last year, which I thought was awesome.  The intensity of the players is directly related to the intensity of the coach(s).  I wasn't offended by it, I was impressed.

Oh, and there's a reason they call it the Fulmer Cup. 

MDH

Tenn isn't a bunch of Thugs.  They've got a couple obviously, but they are not Memphis.  I've got a lot of respect for Pearl and think he's a great coach and would love to see him stay in the SEC (I think all the IU talk is bull anyway).

I'll probably break my 100 smites for that, but hey it's what I think.  Tenn's got a great basketball team and we won a tough game with them yesterday.  Just because one of their players was talking chit with our coach doesn't make them a bunch of thugs.

Tenn football, on the other hand, is a different story.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

joeyself

Quote from: not ray on March 16, 2008, 12:56:28 am
The above Brady analogy was exactly what I was thinking when I saw it happen.  I said to myself.   Self they will all be saying he has fire and is intense.  Now just remember that the next time some idiot coach is cursing one our players.  It is either good for all or none.  Some things are as easy as predicting the days of the week.

Yep.  My wife hadn't watched a game all year, and when she saw that, she asked "Is Pelphrey a jerk?" because she really didn't know. 

If Pearl had been jawing with Ervin or Townes, I'd think it immature--because it is. Can you imagine Dean Smith or John Wooden doing that?

Nah, me either.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

vol_in_ar

Quote from: claycohog on March 16, 2008, 10:31:16 am
Tenn. will be on probation within 3 yrs.  Pearl Necklace is a thug therefore your players are thugs.  It seems your women's coach is becoming more like a thug every day.  Funny how crap rubs off, huh.

not likely

FaytownHog

that kid is a jerk for thinking he can talk smack to an opposing coach, that kid had it comming, and i think pel could prolly beat him one on one tommarrow still, as you've seen pel is more about proving it then talking it, maybe it's finally getting into the players, oh, and dean smith and john wooden couldn't coach there way out of a wet paper bag in todays game. stan heath prolly would be in the hall of fame if he were 90 years old bc no one can play slow borring basketball like him
Quote from: joeyself on March 16, 2008, 10:49:19 am
Yep.  My wife hadn't watched a game all year, and when she saw that, she asked "Is Pelphrey a jerk?" because she really didn't know. 

If Pearl had been jawing with Ervin or Townes, I'd think it immature--because it is. Can you imagine Dean Smith or John Wooden doing that?

Nah, me either.

JcS

MDH

Quote from: lildrummerboy2004 on March 16, 2008, 11:06:31 am
that kid is a jerk for thinking he can talk smack to an opposing coach, that kid had it comming, and i think pel could prolly beat him one on one tommarrow still, as you've seen pel is more about proving it then talking it, maybe it's finally getting into the players, oh, and dean smith and john wooden couldn't coach there way out of a wet paper bag in todays game. stan heath prolly would be in the hall of fame if he were 90 years old bc no one can play slow borring basketball like him

Had to smite you for that.  I don't agree with JcS, but that comment was crap.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

RickyRoma

Quote from: joeyself on March 16, 2008, 10:49:19 am

Nah, me either.

JcS

I also can't imagine a player on Dean Smith or Coach Wooden's team talking $hit to the opposing coach.  Pelphrey was taking care of what should have been handled by Pearl.  The players actions are a direct reflection on the coaching staff. 

I don't think Pelphrey would let one of his players get away with that.  Get off of your soapbox.

AckaBacka

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 16, 2008, 12:48:58 am
if john brady had done this to one of our players, this place would be ready to burn his house down...however,.....
I dont remember any of our players ever talking to an opposing coach, so its different. Smith had it coming.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: MDH on March 16, 2008, 10:42:37 am
Tenn isn't a bunch of Thugs.  They've got a couple obviously, but they are not Memphis.  I've got a lot of respect for Pearl and think he's a great coach and would love to see him stay in the SEC (I think all the IU talk is bull anyway).

I'll probably break my 100 smites for that, but hey it's what I think.  Tenn's got a great basketball team and we won a tough game with them yesterday.  Just because one of their players was talking chit with our coach doesn't make them a bunch of thugs.

Tenn football, on the other hand, is a different story.

qft

claycohog

Greyhands

So do you guys really think it's appropriate for a head coach to tell a player to "shut the **** up"?

player to "shut the **** up"?

Yes

Greyhands

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 16, 2008, 10:17:28 am
I never said were angels
but alot of folks on here just jump on the Thug U comments, and couldn't name one instance

not directing that at you, but I think you know what I mean
All teams have thugs on them its just the way it is Tenn doesnt have eny more than Arkansas or eny other SEC team. Why is that probly because inner city kids make up most of the starting line ups in the SEC.

Was mouthing the other teams coach a good thing well no it wasnt mouth players all game long but have some respect for the coach of the other team .

vol_in_ar

I notice he controlled himself, and didn't unload on anyone today

joeyself

Quote from: hawgnjayhawkland on March 16, 2008, 11:20:04 am
I also can't imagine a player on Dean Smith or Coach Wooden's team talking $hit to the opposing coach.  Pelphrey was taking care of what should have been handled by Pearl.  The players actions are a direct reflection on the coaching staff. 

I agree with this.  That doesn't excuse what Pel did in reply, but it certainly does not speak well of Pearl that he'd have someone on the floor doing that kind of nonsense.

QuoteI don't think Pelphrey would let one of his players get away with that.  Get off of your soapbox.

On the first sentence, I hope you're right.  As to the second, I think I'll speak whenever I take a notion, until you can show me your creds to direct me otherwise.

Which you are lacking.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hognelson

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 16, 2008, 06:04:27 pm
I notice he controlled himself, and didn't unload on anyone today
We were playing gentlemen today.  Well, except for Bliss maybe.

HeyBC

Quote from: Greyhands on March 16, 2008, 01:44:25 pm
All teams have thugs on them its just the way it is Tenn doesnt have eny more than Arkansas or eny other SEC team. Why is that probly because inner city kids make up most of the starting line ups in the SEC.

Was mouthing the other teams coach a good thing well no it wasnt mouth players all game long but have some respect for the coach of the other team .

JaJuan Smith is not from the inner city. He's from a pretty small town. He's had a chip on his shoulder from day 1 as a walk on. That chip helped him get from no scholarship all the way to second team all-SEC, but he needs to learn to let his play do ALL the talking. It's not the first bone headed thing he's done, but the good largely outweighs the bad.

jintha

see? there ya'll go with the thug comments about the black players. i bet most if not all of you saying this are white.

jcam61

Quote from: jintha on March 16, 2008, 09:35:55 pm
see? there ya'll go with the thug comments about the black players. i bet most if not all of you saying this are white.

Oh dear lord.. please go away and stop posting here.  I rarely post but to play a race card is completely inappropriate and idiotic.   I'm pretty sure someone on here said Bliss from Georgia was the only "thug" they had.    You sir are a moron.

vol_in_ar

ke2743

I'm surprised I didn't see old Pel get more fired up today during the game.  I was waiting for some chairs to be thrown.

hoopitup3

Quote from: lildrummerboy2004 on March 16, 2008, 11:06:31 am

You my friend are an idiot and know nothing about basketball. For you to say John Wooden and Dean Smith couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag is just completely ignorant, and just wow, words can't describe how wrong you are.

oncallhawg

Didn't Charles Tatum and (ex)Coach John Brady go at one another in a game once. I think I remember Charles getting a T for it but nothing else. Maybe someone else can remember more of the specifics about this. The LSU games with Brady were always pretty intense. I cannot remember whether it was at home or away. I think Charles was called for a foul and Brady said something to him as he ran by the LSU bench. That is when Charles basically told Brady to STFU. It created quite a stir at the time.

FaytownHog

thats funny hoopitup3, because if im wrong wheres the facts? im not saying they werent hall of fame coaches in their days, but x & o's alone wont cut it anymore, everybody can do it, its a different game, just like an old football coach would be lost in todays game. they might have a more physical team but they would get blown out by the spread. its just how it is. sorry if u feel different. hold on to the past if you want to.

maximus

i freakin love it.  pel is great.  i love that fire.  heath was too proper.  immature?  i dont know or care.  it makes it for a great coach.  if he was on the opposing team.  i would be cussin him and gettin mad.  when he is on our side, i am all bout it.  just part of it.  dont really care if it is immature or not.  once again, better than a heath that does not even like to raise his voice. 
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

vol_in_ar

MAybe Wally will write about it.  If Long wants his coach yelling at opposing players

parrishw

It is if the officials do not call a foul on the player for taunting

Which, when you think about, it is exactly what Smith was doing.

A couple fouls called on a few college players for that kind of crap and it will stop.

DriveByHogger

I think it's hard to say if it was appropriate or not without knowing what Smith said to Pelphrey. Call me old school if you want, but I believe trash talk for any reason is classless in any sport. I also think silence is much more intimidating and will get into the opponent's head more effectively than talk.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

MinowBucket

If a player on an opposing team starts running his mouth at the other teams coach, why shouldn't he tell him to STFU? He wasn't the one being disrespectful, the player was by jawwing the head coach of an opposing team!!! What he told him was right, he needed to STFU and just play. I think it goes right along with our society today, young people have no respect for authority figures anymore. It's ridiculous. Bruce Pearl should have said something to Smith. You think if Thomas or Townes was mouthing off to Bruce Pearl Pel wouldnt say something, come on.

FaytownHog

well i heard on the radio this morning that pel found the kid after the game and appologized which is cool. hes a beast in competition and classy afterwords, what more could you ask for

ConwayHog

Quote from: HeyBC on March 16, 2008, 01:49:35 am
You really think Chris Lofton is a thug? Tyler Smith? Come on.

You conveniently chose two people.

What about Chism?  Ramar Smith?  Juwan Smith?  Need I go on?

cityhog

We were ready to burn Shibest in effigy for dogging on a LSU player.  How is this different, other than Shibest was a horrible coach and Pel is a good one?

Dropkick

I don't think just because UT has the most pot smoking athletes in the country they are all thugs. The chronic has been a good recruiting tool up there.

HeyBC

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on March 17, 2008, 11:16:04 am
You conveniently chose two people.

What about Chism?  Ramar Smith?  Juwan Smith?  Need I go on?

Chism's never been in trouble. He works in the community. He's a goofy dude and full of himself, but definitely not a thug.

Ramar Smith's never been in trouble. He's a bit of a fish out of water being from Detroit and playing in the south. He's also struggled to learn the PG position having been a 2 guard before he came to UT. I don't think he's ever even had a technical foul.

JaJuan (<- correct spelling) Smith as I've said elsewhere got where he is by carrying a huge chip on his shoulder. He was a walk-on who earned a scholarship and is now a 2nd team All-SEC and all defensive team player. He plays hard, but not always smart. He makes his share of bone-headed plays and gets the occasional tech. But his good qualities usually far outweigh the bad ones.

In case you want to work your way down the roster I'll add that J.P. Prince and Brian Williams need to muzzle it. And Duke Crews has in fact been caught with pot. He also is a very popular player in Knoxville and ALWAYS makes time for kids seeking autographs after games.

I'm not sure, but I think UT is probably NOT the only school to have players busted for pot.

pigz

Fo Sho,  i love this coach
You guys have a good time frig dancing

ConwayHog

Quote from: cityhog on March 17, 2008, 11:27:25 am
We were ready to burn Shibest in effigy for dogging on a LSU player.  How is this different, other than Shibest was a horrible coach and Pel is a good one?

I'm not defending Pelphrey here.  The only difference I can see is that Smith initiated this one and it was a visual nana-nana, boo-boo on national television. 

ConwayHog

Quote from: HeyBC on March 17, 2008, 01:06:02 pm
Chism's never been in trouble. He works in the community. He's a goofy dude and full of himself, but definitely not a thug.

Ramar Smith's never been in trouble. He's a bit of a fish out of water being from Detroit and playing in the south. He's also struggled to learn the PG position having been a 2 guard before he came to UT. I don't think he's ever even had a technical foul.

JaJuan (<- correct spelling) Smith as I've said elsewhere got where he is by carrying a huge chip on his shoulder. He was a walk-on who earned a scholarship and is now a 2nd team All-SEC and all defensive team player. He plays hard, but not always smart. He makes his share of bone-headed plays and gets the occasional tech. But his good qualities usually far outweigh the bad ones.

In case you want to work your way down the roster I'll add that J.P. Prince and Brian Williams need to muzzle it. And Duke Crews has in fact been caught with pot. He also is a very popular player in Knoxville and ALWAYS makes time for kids seeking autographs after games.

I'm not sure, but I think UT is probably NOT the only school to have players busted for pot.

You don't have to be in "trouble" to be a thug.  I could care less about the spelling of your players names.  Get over yourself Vol fan.

HogBaptist

Quote from: HeyBC on March 17, 2008, 01:06:02 pm

who won?

HeyBC

If you can't define "thug" other than "I don't like that dingdy-danged ol Jaywon Smif" then I can't help you.