Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It is not Personal

Started by WilsonHog, February 05, 2017, 02:12:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I do not care who our coach is.

Once our coach gets his program established (three years), my expectations are that we be a Top 10 to 15 program in the country and make the NCAA Tourney every season, with a deep run every three or four years.

I will support whoever our coach is so long as I believe there is a reasonable possibility of him producing those results.

When I no longer believe that, when I have lost confidence in him to do that, then I am done with him and he no longer has my support.

orvillesghost

Realistic expectations for Arkansas basketball

And exactly the reason we must make a change after this season...

hobhog

I honestly have not spoken to one person that doesn't agree MAs time here is done.

If they still care at all. Everyone just shrugs their shoulders now.

tophawg19

no reason with the talent Arkansas produces not to be in the top 4 in this conference every year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

rude1

I agree although looking at college basketball now it seems the 3 year window for establishing the program has turned to more like 4-5 years for getting a program established at most places. Either way our current coaches have exceeded the amount of time given to most coaches for a rebuild and haven't gotten it done.

Burt B.

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2017, 02:12:42 pm

Once our coach gets his program established (three years), my expectations are that we be a Top 10 to 15 program in the country and make the NCAA Tourney every season, with a deep run every three or four years.

I will support whoever our coach is so long as I believe there is a reasonable possibility of him producing those results.

When I no longer believe that, when I have lost confidence in him to do that, then I am done with him and he no longer has my support.

I agree.; however, I do not understand how squeaking into the NCAaT has any bearing wether to retain Mike or not. This is year six and by all indications we could be in the same situation next year.

Etowah

Not realistic.

We have one of the top coaches in the country.....why do you think we are going to find someone who will do better?

If MA were at Duke and Coach K were are at Arkansas.......Duke would still be Duke and we would still be Arkansas.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Etowah on February 05, 2017, 02:24:18 pm
Not realistic.

We have one of the top coaches in the country.....why do you think we are going to find someone who will do better?

If MA were at Duke and Coach K were are at Arkansas.......Duke would still be Duke and we would still be Arkansas.

There is no basis in fact for believing Mike to be one of the top 5-10 coaches in the country.

None. That case cannot logically and rationally be made.

Based strictly on merit, I'm not sure he's one of the Top 20.

Burt B.

Not realistic.

Not sure how long you have followed Hog basketball, but this program has the ability to be constantly good and occasionally elite. We were in the NCAAT 20 out of 23 years with multiple deep runs.  Mike has gotten a damaged program back on solid footing. We just need a coach to get is back to the next level. Mike is just not the guy.

Biggus Piggus

Cannot afford to have a coach who loses to teams as awful as Missouri is.

Find the last loss in Razorback history that was as bad as this one. Closest you could get was Kevin Martin and Western Carolina in the 2003-04 season. Maybe Missouri State in 2008-09. Both of those were early in the season.

We lost at LSU in 2010-11, and they finished with 11 wins.

Those were all bad Razorback teams. Since Nolan was fired, no good Arkansas team has lost to an opponent ranked below 100th in Pomeroy. Missouri, even after beating us, is 188th. Still by far the worst team in the SEC.

Of Missouri's other five wins this season, the highest-rated team is 231st. That's how bad this loss was.

Missouri has 10 losses to opponents rated below Arkansas. Zero wins, other than Arkansas.

This sort of thing doesn't "just happen." It is an indication of very bad things. It doesn't just happen. It never happens to a good basketball team. Never. You can't dodge that fact. This wasn't a random occurrence.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

I asked in the Porked thread and will ask more directly in this thread as a couple of posters seem to be reevaluating the "just make the NCAAT" standard. 

Did last night change the idea of making the NCAAT as a minimum standard for continuing?  Are you expanding from a micro view to a more macro/big picture long term view? 

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2017, 02:12:42 pm

You still have confidence? 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

King Kong

February 05, 2017, 02:42:25 pm #11 Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:26:32 pm by King Kong
Not realistic.

Stupidest post ever? I mean you can't be serious. By this logic Nolan Richardson would have to be the greatest coach in NCAA history to have beat Duke and win the NC and then go back again

TheEnemy

Exactly.  My expectations:

NCAAT=3 out of 4 years....allowing for the occasional rebuilding year due to early departures.

1 tourney run in every 4 years---sweet sixteen or better.

Razorod

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 05, 2017, 02:37:17 pm
Cannot afford to have a coach who loses to teams as awful as Missouri is.

Find the last loss in Razorback history that was as bad as this one. Closest you could get was Kevin Martin and Western Carolina in the 2003-04 season. Maybe Missouri State in 2008-09. Both of those were early in the season.

We lost at LSU in 2010-11, and they finished with 11 wins.

Those were all bad Razorback teams. Since Nolan was fired, no good Arkansas team has lost to an opponent ranked below 100th in Pomeroy. Missouri, even after beating us, is 188th. Still by far the worst team in the SEC.

Of Missouri's other five wins this season, the highest-rated team is 231st. That's how bad this loss was.

Missouri has 10 losses to opponents rated below Arkansas. Zero wins, other than Arkansas.

This sort of thing doesn't "just happen." It is an indication of very bad things. It doesn't just happen. It never happens to a good basketball team. Never. You can't dodge that fact. This wasn't a random occurrence.
Very well put.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2017, 02:38:11 pm
I asked in the Porked thread and will ask more directly in this thread as a couple of posters seem to be reevaluating the "just make the NCAAT" standard. 

Did last night change the idea of making the NCAAT as a minimum standard for continuing?  Are you expanding from a micro view to a more macro/big picture long term view? 

You still have confidence?

I do not.

If we make the NCAAs, I will not call for him to be fired. However, that will not restore my confidence that Mike can get our program where it needs to be.

RagingHawgOn

Here's what sucks: We know a national title can be won at poor little Arkansas. Yet, we settle for bull coaches and performance. I'm freaking tired of it. Mike, hit the road. You suck.

realistichog

We are beating a dead horse. It's very simple. Mike's time is up, whether they pull the trigger now or at end of season makes no difference to me.

onebadrubi

Not realistic.

Holy crap you are dumb

The_Iceman

NCAA Tournament or bust. Mike won't make it because he underachieved against Mizzou and will to finish this season, just like in 2014.

Time to get a new coach. Fire Mike Anderson!

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2017, 02:52:26 pm
NCAA Tournament or bust. Mike won't make it because he underachieved against Mizzou and will to finish this season, just like in 2014.

Well, if we make the tournament I can still get behind him. But no tournament this year and he has to go. Especially considering it was just a don't lose to Mizz situations and we were basically a NCAAt lock.

hobhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2017, 02:27:26 pm
There is no basis in fact for believing Mike to be one of the top 5-10 coaches in the country.

Wow. I am not sure top 100 is accurate.....

daprospecta

Quote from: orvillesghost on February 05, 2017, 02:14:37 pm
Realistic expectations for Arkansas basketball

And exactly the reason we must make a change after this season...
There are 3 maybe 4 schools who are consistently in the top 10-15 every year and even those have dips outside the top 25 and you think it's realistic to expect a team with our 20 year history of problems to be in that rarified air in 3 years?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2017, 02:52:26 pm

10pt loss @ K St
11pt loss @ Nebraska
4pt loss to KU
4pt win vs TT
15pt loss to A&M
15pt loss to Cincinnati

This is what we hired him off of from Mizzou.  A season ending collapse.  Underachievement.  0 recruiting class.  We can see more than the 2014 ending as concerning.

I'll ask you as I did Wilson, what does making the NCAAT with the schedule we will have played change for you long term? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GoHogs#1

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 05, 2017, 02:27:26 pm

Sure there is.... were paying him top 10 money so he has to be
Go Hogs

alohawg

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on February 05, 2017, 02:48:01 pm
Here's what sucks: We know a national title can be won at poor little Arkansas. Yet, we settle for bull coaches and performance. I'm freaking tired of it. Mike, hit the road. You suck.

I concur and it shouldn't matter if he makes the tourney this year. This MA led team would be embarrassed in the tourney anyway.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2017, 03:03:29 pm
10pt loss @ K St
11pt loss @ Nebraska
4pt loss to KU
4pt win vs TT
15pt loss to A&M
15pt loss to Cincinnati

This is what we hired him off of from Mizzou.  A season ending collapse.  Underachievement.  0 recruiting class.  We can see more than the 2014 ending as concerning.

I'll ask you as I did Wilson, what does making the NCAAT with the schedule we will have played change for you long term? 

NCAA Tournament or bust. That's it for me. That's the standard from here on out. If he misses it, he doesn't deserve the chance to coach going forward.

TheEnemy

Quote from: daprospecta on February 05, 2017, 03:00:24 pm
There are 3 maybe 4 schools who are consistently in the top 10-15 every year and even those have dips outside the top 25 and you think it's realistic to expect a team with our 20 year history of problems to be in that rarified air in 3 years?

Bless your heart.

He said a top 10-15 program.

Meaning during an era we are a 10-15 ranked basketball program.  Up and down years are expected.....but over time we are seen as a top 15 program.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2017, 03:09:26 pm
NCAA Tournament or bust. That's it for me. That's the standard from here on out. If he misses it, he doesn't deserve the chance to coach going forward.

So nothing long term.  Just season to season. 

HogBreath

Quote from: daprospecta on February 05, 2017, 03:00:24 pm
And CMA has been a part of the program for most of those 20 years.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogsanity

Quote from: King Kong on February 05, 2017, 02:42:25 pm
Stupidest post ever? I mean you can't be serious. By this logic Nolan Richardson would have to be the greatest coach in NCAA history to have been Duke and win the NC and then go back again

Etowah is another screen name that is someones alternative account. Created over 4 years ago and fewer than 20 posts a year then suddenly he has posted non stop about how great mike is and how lucky the program is to have him. Been about 8-10 of these accounts pop up in the last 10 days.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2017, 03:24:45 pm

Etowah is another screen name that is someones alternative account. Created over 4 years ago and fewer than 20 posts a year then suddenly he has posted non stop about how great mike is and how lucky the program is to have him. Been about 8-10 of these accounts pop up in the last 10 days.

Exactly. 

Wilson, can't y'all see who that is trolling?

TNhawgfan

Not personal with me either because i have never met the man, but he's not getting the job done. Get someone else who will
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HoopS

I fought it. I'm on board. I want a new coach. Last night clinched it for me.