Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reports that University of Louisville will move to the ACC after AM meeting

Started by jbcarol, November 28, 2012, 07:26:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

@McMurphyESPN: BREAKING: ACC votes to add Louisville sources tell @ESPN. Cards will be 6th team to leave Big East for ACC

Eric Crawford ‏@ericcrawford
From #UofL coach Rick Pitino via text messge: "We are in."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

cardinalfan123

Brass Knob

It is very possible that the ACC will get raided pretty heavily and just become what was essentially the Big East, just like the Big East is becoming basically CUSA.

Hogwild

NaturalStateReb

Good for the Cards.  Too bad it's too little too late for the ACC.  They had a chance to change their football profile in the prior round of realignment.  Instead of taking WVU and Lousiville or Pitt, they doubled down on basketball and a bit of academic pretension and went with Pitt and Syracuse. 

Makes me wonder how many Tobacco Road schools held their noses when they voted on Louisville, when they really would have liked to get UConn.  I think if they had went with another basketball-first school like UConn, then FSU, Clemson, and GT would have been out the door.

They may be anyway.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

This was a predictable move by both parties.  Also sensible on both sides.  Not going to be the last move either.  The SEC still has to get to 16, and they have to do it before all the good options are gone. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Brass Knob

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 28, 2012, 08:36:37 am
Good for the Cards.  Too bad it's too little too late for the ACC.  They had a chance to change their football profile in the prior round of realignment.  Instead of taking WVU and Lousiville or Pitt, they doubled down on basketball and a bit of academic pretension and went with Pitt and Syracuse. 

Makes me wonder how many Tobacco Road schools held their noses when they voted on Louisville, when they really would have liked to get UConn.  I think if they had went with another basketball-first school like UConn, then FSU, Clemson, and GT would have been out the door.

They may be anyway.

It will all depend on the what the Big 10 wants to do IMO. If they decide to expand even more they will probably come after some mix of Cuse, Pitt (probably the least likely), UNC, GT, and Virginia. If that happens then the Big 12 will likely come after L'ville, Clemson, and FSU and that will almost force the hand of the SEC to take two between UNC (if they are willing and able to break away from Duke), NC State, and VT.

At that point the ACC will raid the Big East for its best schools and you end up with some combo of leftover ACC schools and the Big East.

If this all happens it will be interesting to see what happens to the bball only schools from the Big East. 

josh_sec33

Kept telling my Louisville graduate wife that they better hurry up and get out of the Big East before it completely became a joke.

Looks like they got out in time. I honestly figure they had overtures from the ACC and Big XII-2+1-1... and got to pick and choose which one they wanted
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Brass Knob

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 28, 2012, 08:57:48 am
Kept telling my Louisville graduate wife that they better hurry up and get out of the Big East before it completely became a joke.

Looks like they got out in time. I honestly figure they had overtures from the ACC and Big XII-2+1-1... and got to pick and choose which one they wanted

I would not totally be surprised when all of this is said and done if they end up in the Big 12

josh_sec33

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 28, 2012, 09:01:41 am
I would not totally be surprised when all of this is said and done if they end up in the Big 12

I figured it was a 50/50 prop for either conference.

Here's the deal. All of this is just posturing trying to fend off what everyone KNOWS will be the master stroke that Slive will pull probably soon.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Murr

Apparently UVA is waiting to see how hard and expensive it will be to leave before making a final decision to leave.  If UMD can't leave, then they don't want all the negativity associated with trying to abandon your conference.

The longer the UMD vs ACC case drags on, the more time swofford has to save the ACC; rumblings of an ACC network starting to grow.

Murr

Apparently UVA is waiting to see how hard and expensive it will be to leave before making a final decision to leave.  If UMD can't leave, then they don't want all the negativity associated with trying to abandon your conference.

The longer the UMD vs ACC case drags on, the more time swofford has to save the ACC; rumblings of an ACC network starting to grow.

DoghouseHog2

over and out.

Psharp

The ACC will remain intact. Welcome Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. Notre Dame will eventually participate on the gridiron in the ACC.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
RT @espn_bigeast: Louisville will take Maryland's spot in Atlantic Division, meaning Louisville plays in same division as FSU & Clemson
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

UConn president on ACC snub: "I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans ... We are winner$"

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on November 28, 2012, 08:48:23 pm
UConn president on ACC snub: "I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans ... We are winner$"

oop$ typo