Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if Derek Fisher Had Played for the Razorbacks

Started by SWD26, November 13, 2012, 07:49:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SWD26

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1393737-what-if-derek-fisher-had-played-for-the-razorbacks-in-college

This article is a few days old but, I thought, pretty interesting and a good read.

I would have loved to have seen Fisher play for the Hogs. He was over-looked a little playing for UALR but not by the Lakers, I think he was drafted #24 if I remember correctly.

On another note, I believe the writer is wrong about Marcus Saxon. Did he not play and start at P/G for the Hogs?

Sed76

I always wanted to see that UALR team of Fisher, Malik Dixon and Montrelle Dobbins play the Hogs. Wimp Sanderson did a great job with those guys.

Ramtough

I have a t-shirt that Fisher signed for my son at B-ball camp his senior year. I would love to get him to sign it again today. Its a one of a kind I'm sure.

DeltaBoy

I was at UALR when Mike Newell and Wimp Sanderson were coaching and we had some great games and won some conferance titles and made a trip or two to the Big Dance.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kingoftherapids

Montrell Dobbins went to Hot Springs high. I went to Lakeside and when i was in kindergarten i remember him putting on an absolute block party against us

Sed76

If I remember right that UALR team when Fisher was a senior went to Mississippi State who as ranked #4 and beat them. Lost their conference title game by one point and didn't make the NCAA tournament despite having a excellent record. Would love to have seen what Derek could have done in a Razorback uniform but he won back to back Sunbelt player of the year awards and got noticed by the Lakers. Who knows how it would have turned out had he played for the Hogs.

jseinfeld50

November 14, 2012, 12:54:25 pm #6 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:59:06 pm by jseinfeld50
Quote from: SWD26 on November 13, 2012, 07:49:08 pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1393737-what-if-derek-fisher-had-played-for-the-razorbacks-in-college

This article is a few days old but, I thought, pretty interesting and a good read.

I would have loved to have seen Fisher play for the Hogs. He was over-looked a little playing for UALR but not by the Lakers, I think he was drafted #24 if I remember correctly.

On another note, I believe the writer is wrong about Marcus Saxon. Did he not play and start at P/G for the Hogs?

Saxon never meet the eligibility requirements and never made it to campus. He ended up at Utah State. Pate from MS lasted almost one season averaging 12.9 or 13.9 pts. He averaged 30+ at Chipola. Pate should of stayed in college one more year somewhere and then he probably would have been drafted.

Ramtough

I watched UALR beat CAL. at Pine Bluff Convention Center to go to the final four of the NIT. Johnny Bell was a beast that night. I think James Scott was on that team too. It is the loudest game I've ever seen in person.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on November 14, 2012, 12:54:25 pm
Saxon never meet the eligibility requirements and never made it to campus. He ended up at Colorado State. Pate from MS lasted almost one season averaging 12.9 or 13.9 pts. He averaged 30+ at Chipola. Pate should of stayed in college one more year someone where and then he probably would have been drafted.

Think it was Utah St wasn't it?  Could be wrong, but I thought he transferred to Utah St
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Lips

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 14, 2012, 12:01:06 pm
Montrell Dobbins went to Hot Springs high. I went to Lakeside and when i was in kindergarten i remember him putting on an absolute block party against us

I went to Hot Springs too.  I was a couple years behind Montrell, but I played with his younger brother Jermaine.  Jermaine was dunkin on fools in 9th grade.  They were both extremely talented.

SWD26

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 14, 2012, 06:00:35 pm

Think it was Utah St wasn't it?  Could be wrong, but I thought he transferred to Utah St

I believe you may be right. I had him mixed up with another player, thanks.

choppedporkextrasauce

November 14, 2012, 08:33:48 pm #11 Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:43:12 pm by choppedporkextrasauce
Quote from: SWD26 on November 13, 2012, 07:49:08 pm

the writer is correct.

fisher on the team might have cost us the NC.  It worked out perfect the way it was.

Fatty McGee

The Iverson-Reid matchup in '96 would have been fun.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

ExArky

Fisher was considered the 5th best player on his HIGH SCHOOL team at Parkview. All the other players got bigger D-I offers -- Dion Cross to Stanford, Robinson kid to Florida State, can't remember the other 2 right off the bat. With 20-20 hindsight, I'm sure the Hogs would have recruited him, and also beat the door down years earlier for a kid out of Hamburg named Scottie Pippen.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 14, 2012, 06:00:35 pm

You're right. It was Utah State.

Ramtough

Yea, Fisher wasn't the first and won't be the last that the Hogs miss on. I see that we have a lot of players on our team today that are being sold to the Hogs by their AAU coaches.

Ramtough

The 2 most successful NBA players to ever play HS ball in Arkansas in my lifetime never played a second for the Hogs. Pippen and Fisher.

hawkhawg

Quote from: Ramtough on November 15, 2012, 09:27:57 pm
The 2 most successful NBA players to ever play HS ball in Arkansas in my lifetime never played a second for the Hogs. Pippen and Fisher.

I know fisher has a hand full of rings but Ill take joe Johnson over fisher.

McHogLovin

Quote from: hawkhawg on November 15, 2012, 09:40:31 pm

ok, but there is more than one dude on the floor at a time

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hawkhawg on November 15, 2012, 09:40:31 pm

Easily.

Rooster Hogburn

What if big nasty was granted 6 additional years of eligibility and a full NBA salary package by the NCAA?
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Hawg414

Quote from: Ramtough on November 15, 2012, 09:27:57 pm

while true, fisher didnt flourish until during his college years.  like someone else mentioned, there would have been others off his hgh school team the Hogs would have wanted moreso than fisher at the end of high school.  obviously during college, that changed.

and pippen... didnt pippen grow something like 8 inches in college?  wasnt he a 5'11 or 6' guard coming out of hamburg?  if memory serves, he didnt even initially go to UCA on scholarship.. he was like a trainer or something.  could be wrong on that part.  but either way, he was at UCA... so it isnt like the hogs are the only ones who didnt see that one coming.

but youre original point is true.. they are the two most accomplished NBA players who played high school ball in AR.  where did Moncrief play high school ball??

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 15, 2012, 05:17:46 pm
The Iverson-Reid matchup in '96 would have been fun.

Iverson was almost a Razorback....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jseinfeld50

I heard Iverson almost ended up at Shorter Jr College before John Thompson offered him a scholarship.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 18, 2012, 05:08:34 pm
Iverson was almost a Razorback....

Really?  Sure you're not thinking of Igoudala?

By the way, I googled it and found this great account of the freshman Iverson's first game against our defending national champs:

http://articles.dailypress.com/1994-11-28/sports/9411280012_1_clint-mcdaniel-allen-iverson-arkansas-defense-frustrates-freshman

"But Arkansas' defense was unlike any Iverson has experienced, the most physical he's encountered since his football-playing days at Bethel. The Razorbacks mixed man-to-man and zone defenses, limited Georgetown to 38.4 percent shooting and allowed the Hoyas only one lead - 17-15."

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 18, 2012, 08:25:44 am
and pippen... didnt pippen grow something like 8 inches in college?  wasnt he a 5'11 or 6' guard coming out of hamburg?  if memory serves, he didnt even initially go to UCA on scholarship.. he was like a trainer or something.  could be wrong on that part.  but either way, he was at UCA... so it isnt like the hogs are the only ones who didnt see that one coming.

but youre original point is true.. they are the two most accomplished NBA players who played high school ball in AR.  where did Moncrief play high school ball??

Moncrief played at Little Rock Hall.

Pippin was 6'1" when he came to UCA and yes, he was sort of like a manager early that year but was on the team.  Before the end of that freshman year he was dressing and getting some PT.  He did grow 6-7" between his freshman year and his senior year and, remarkably, didn't lose any of his quickness or ball handling skills like so many kids do when they take a growth spurt.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.