Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, November 26, 2014, 10:47:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hogwild on December 17, 2014, 01:53:15 pm
Phillip Marshall (auburn writer) is saying they are in talks with Shannon for their LB coach position.
"Hey Randy, come to Auburn and be our LB coach."  "Yeah, I know you are the Asst Head Coach at Arkansas, but I can't bump Rhett from that position."...

All Gas, No Brakes!

Torqued pork

Phillip Marshall (auburn writer) is saying they are in talks with Shannon for their LB coach position.
Hogville can start holding its breath.

Buff

He's going to leave the defense here to take the same position there?  Ha ha ha.  Well played, sir.

husker71

Barney Cotton  offensive line coach for Nebraska(who will coach the Huskers in the bowl game) has been hired as offensive coordinator at UNLV.

ImHogginIt

Wonder when some school is going to get smart and hire Mark Hudspeth of ULL ?

root_hawg

I don't see any assistants leaving this year

ldfergu

I think coach made a comment about how we might lose one due to their accolades and connections. Something like thst

Doug

Quote from: ImHogginItWonder when some school is going to get smart and hire Mark Hudspeth of ULL?
There's really only one job I can see that he would ever consider leaving the Ragin' Cajuns for. He's the highest paid SBC coach right now and 11th highest paid G5 (Base pay only, no bonuses). He's got an incredibly supportive administration and fan base, and he's winning (as evidenced by yesterday's bowl game).
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hog.goblin

Quote from: Doug on December 21, 2014, 08:53:44 am
There's really only one job I can see that he would ever consider leaving the Ragin' Cajuns for. He's the highest paid SBC coach right now and 11th highest paid G5 (Base pay only, no bonuses). He's got an incredibly supportive administration and fan base, and he's winning (as evidenced by yesterday's bowl game).

What do you think that one job is?

He doesn't seem to have any strong ties from early coaching stops, so it makes no sense for him to jump for something other than the perfect job.

Doug

Quote from: hog.goblinWhat do you think that one job is?

He doesn't seem to have any strong ties from early coaching stops, so it makes no sense for him to jump for something other than the perfect job.
It's an SEC HC job... go look at ALL of his career stops. :)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hog.goblin

No offense to Ms St but I would hold out for something better than that

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 21, 2014, 01:40:26 pm

I agree.

ifghog

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 21, 2014, 01:40:26 pm
He is a proven winner everywhere he has been...who would you say is better that would go to MS. St?? Not trying to be a butt....just curious.

root_hawg

Who would want to go to Ms St

hog.goblin

Quote from: ifghog on December 22, 2014, 11:10:00 am
He is a proven winner everywhere he has been...who would you say is better that would go to MS. St?? Not trying to be a butt....just curious.

That's why I said no offense to Ms St and not no offense to Mark Hudspeth.

Mark Hudspeth should hold out for something better than MS St.

Tusks

Hudspeth can flat out coach.  He might be waiting on LSU to open up when Miles retires.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WilsonHog

If the reports of Narduzzi to Pitt are true, there is one more opening out there - Michigan.

It'll be interesting to see what the Wolverines do if Harbaugh - who will likely be unemployed in less than a week - turns them down.

husker71

when I was listening to Cowherd a couple of weeks ago he insisted there was a name out there   not a home run hire  but one that would surprise people   but then he would of course not give it out    I don't know if it was a schtick or if he had really heard something but if not Harbaugh (he insisted that was not the name) it will be interesting

ChicoHog

Maybe Schiano to michigan if harbaugh doesn't take it?

root_hawg

Yeah its going to be bad if Harbaugh says no

Torqued pork

At least the people in charge at Michigan can tell Wolverine fans they did everything possible to bring Harbaugh home. It shouldn't be looked at as failure on their part if he decides to stay in the NFL.

HF#1

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 24, 2014, 06:56:19 am
At least the people in charge at Michigan can tell Wolverine fans they did everything possible to bring Harbaugh home. It shouldn't be looked at as failure on their part if he decides to stay in the NFL.

Depends on how you look at it.  If they put all their eggs in one basket with Harbaugh and didn't get him, it's a colossal failure. 

At this point, if Michigan doesn't get Harbaugh, then they settled for whoever they get. 

Will the dumpster fire continue or can they get Harbaugh to Ann Arbor?  It's definitely interesting to watch unfold.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

husker71

if not Harbaugh in 2 or 3 years they will be looking for another coach with their track record.  Rich Rod is doing well after being fired and if I was a lower program I may take a chance on Hoke hoping he would have the Rich Rod effect.  (But I do think RR is much better than Hoke)

hog.goblin

Hoke is a good coach.  Look what he did at Ball St and San Diego St.  Rich Rod needed time to get his players and Michigan didn't give it.  Home needed time to get his players and Michigan didn't give it.  The problem is both coaches were making major personnel changes and the Michigan PTB are acting like Raiders' mgmt. 

They need to hire a coach that wants to pound the ball because that's what Hoke was building.  Anyone with a different philosophy won't be given the needed time.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 24, 2014, 03:36:14 pm
Hoke is a good coach.  Look what he did at Ball St and San Diego St.  Rich Rod needed time to get his players and Michigan didn't give it.  Home needed time to get his players and Michigan didn't give it.  The problem is both coaches were making major personnel changes and the Michigan PTB are acting like Raiders' mgmt. 

They need to hire a coach that wants to pound the ball because that's what Hoke was building.  Anyone with a different philosophy won't be given the needed time.

I don't know about that. He was the HC for 4 years and each year, his teams regressed in terms of W-L (11-2, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7). Who wouldn't be screaming for the head of a HC who had that record after 4 years at the helm? Had the W-L record occurred in reverse we wouldn't be having this conversation, but any coach with that kind of record, with this being the worst of his 4 year tenure, can probably expect to be shown the door, and rightfully so.
Go Hogs Go!

hog.goblin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 25, 2014, 06:16:56 am
I don't know about that. He was the HC for 4 years and each year, his teams regressed in terms of W-L (11-2, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7). Who wouldn't be screaming for the head of a HC who had that record after 4 years at the helm? Had the W-L record occurred in reverse we wouldn't be having this conversation, but any coach with that kind of record, with this being the worst of his 4 year tenure, can probably expect to be shown the door, and rightfully so.

He can clearly coach.  Maybe it's recruiting, not having players, just don't know.  Was he lucky at Ball St?  Had better assistants?  I don't for sure.

I certainly don't mind his firing IF you have someone to replace him.  Which they didn't.  If, and that's a big IF, Hoke gets another shot somewhere will this tell us it's a Michigan problem, becuase Rich Rod did well at 3 out 4 schools, and Hoke 2 out of 3.

I'm sure Lloyd Carr is somewhere laughing.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 25, 2014, 02:48:54 pm
He can clearly coach.  Maybe it's recruiting, not having players, just don't know.  Was he lucky at Ball St?  Had better assistants?  I don't for sure.

I certainly don't mind his firing IF you have someone to replace him.  Which they didn't.  If, and that's a big IF, Hoke gets another shot somewhere will this tell us it's a Michigan problem, becuase Rich Rod did well at 3 out 4 schools, and Hoke 2 out of 3.

I'm sure Lloyd Carr is somewhere laughing.

I am pretty sure that they had someone in mind when they fired him, though that has yet to materialize. I know this, in Hoke's first year they had the #21 ranked recruiting class on Rivals followed by two top 10 classes in 2012 and 2013 and then this year came in with the #31 class. It isn't like he didn't bring in some talent in the first three years at the helm and especially in a conference that is weaker than the SEC. Talent, facilities, big name tradition rich school, money available to fund the program and he still couldn't get it done? I'm not sure that Carr has anything to do with this or that any parallel can be drawn between his and Hoke's situation.

I figured Hoke would be successful at Michigan, but obviously something went wrong and he had a lot of advantages at his disposal.
Go Hogs Go!

hog.goblin

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 25, 2014, 04:20:49 pm
I am pretty sure that they had someone in mind when they fired him, though that has yet to materialize. I know this, in Hoke's first year they had the #21 ranked recruiting class on Rivals followed by two top 10 classes in 2012 and 2013 and then this year came in with the #31 class. It isn't like he didn't bring in some talent in the first three years at the helm and especially in a conference that is weaker than the SEC. Talent, facilities, big name tradition rich school, money available to fund the program and he still couldn't get it done? I'm not sure that Carr has anything to do with this or that any parallel can be drawn between his and Hoke's situation.

I figured Hoke would be successful at Michigan, but obviously something went wrong and he had a lot of advantages at his disposal.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, particularly with Hoke's results at Michigan.  But he certainly will get another shot and may do well.  He didn't win 11 games by accident (though that was a down year for the Big 10). 

I only brought up Carr as he is the last coach to consistently win in Michigan, and was forced into retirement due to an early season loss to App St.  Michigan has been a disaster since then, except for Hoke's first year.

WilsonHog

From Coaching Search Ticker:

"Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman reports that Michigan officials will be in the Bay Area this weekend as part of their pursuit of Jim Harbaugh. In addition, Joe Pequeno of CBS Phoenix reports the 49ers and Michigan have worked out a deal, and Harbaugh will likely be introduced Tuesday, but nothing official has been signed, yet."

Hogfaniam

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 26, 2014, 08:43:32 pm
From Coaching Search Ticker:

"Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman reports that Michigan officials will be in the Bay Area this weekend as part of their pursuit of Jim Harbaugh. In addition, Joe Pequeno of CBS Phoenix reports the 49ers and Michigan have worked out a deal, and Harbaugh will likely be introduced Tuesday, but nothing official has been signed, yet."

http://mgoblog.com/content/searchbits-xxix-it-happening
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Buff

What kind of deal would Michigan and SF agree to?  UM bought the last year of Harbaugh's contract, making him their slave for 365 days?  That works great until that contract is over and he goes back to the NFL anyway.  He wasn't going to be with SF next year, regardless of whether or not UM came trying to make deals.

I hope it's not Harbaugh, just because I love watching explosions.  Or imploding bonfires and burning Big Tex statues.

root_hawg

I don't see him staying in college long.  Has he even coached college football ... dealt with the recruiting aspect?

BR

Quote from: root_hawg on December 27, 2014, 08:17:24 am
I don't see him staying in college long.  Has he even coached college football ... dealt with the recruiting aspect?
WOW................ Head Coach at both Stanford & San Diego 58–27overall.  Last season at Stanford won Orange Bowl 12-1 ranked 4th in BCS    YEA, he has coached in college and did great..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Doug

Quote from: root_hawgI don't see him staying in college long.  Has he even coached college football ... dealt with the recruiting aspect?
You're kidding, right? In addition to what BR posted, Harbaugh ALSO scouted and recruited for his dad at WKU as an unpaid assistant for eight years.

It amazes me as to how little research people do with the fact that we are deep into the Information Age.
--Doug

BR

Quote from: Doug on December 27, 2014, 09:44:45 am
You're kidding, right? In addition to what BR posted, Harbaugh ALSO scouted and recruited for his dad at WKU as an unpaid assistant for eight years.

It amazes me as to how little research people do with the fact that we are deep into the Information Age.
Can I get an AMEN...................(Sorry Minor Rant)  All Message Boards would be so much better without all the pointless drivel. 43 Topics on the Same Subject with no one researching any of it...  I am a MOD & Admin on a bunch of sites, and it Blows me away when someone ask something that Google is your Friend could of answered. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .......... How do I start a charcoal fire? Why do they flip a coin at the start of the game?? Why aren't we recruiting the No-Star 2nd string QB from Hoxie???  What is better Beef or Pork????????  Sorry I'm done... Apologize for it, but it just gets old.. Great posters with tons of knowledge are disappearing from all message boards, because they just get tired of doing all the work for those that won't.

BR

Quote from: BR on December 27, 2014, 10:33:59 am
Can I get an AMEN...................(Sorry Minor Rant)  All Message Boards would be so much better without all the pointless drivel. 43 Topics on the Same Subject with no one researching any of it...  I am a MOD & Admin on a bunch of sites, and it Blows me away when someone ask something that Google is your Friend could of answered. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .......... How do I start a charcoal fire? Why do they flip a coin at the start of the game?? Why aren't we recruiting the No-Star 2nd string QB from Hoxie???  What is better Beef or Pork????????  Sorry I'm done... Apologize for it, but it just gets old.. Great posters with tons of knowledge are disappearing from all message boards, because they just get tired of doing all the work for those that won't.
I don't mean this at any one person.......... If people would just take a little time to bring something to a Topic, just think of how great discussions could be...

oldhawg

Okay, I'll bite.  Why aren't we recruiting the quarterback from Hoxie?  :)

SpaCityHawg

Beef

reddogjcss

Heard on radio Harbaug accepted Michigan job. To be announced after next 49ers game.

HOGINTENNESSEE

HogFanatic

I just cannot believe that someone with his resume is actually leaving the NFL for a Big10 school.
Unbelievable.

If it actually happens, look out. The Big10 will be back at the top of the game again pretty soon. Urban at Ohio State and Harbaugh at Michigan. Those two guys will battle for championships indefinitely.

LRRandy

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 27, 2014, 09:12:46 pm
I just cannot believe that someone with his resume is actually leaving the NFL for a Big10 school.
Unbelievable.

If it actually happens, look out. The Big10 will be back at the top of the game again pretty soon. Urban at Ohio State and Harbaugh at Michigan. Those two guys will battle for championships indefinitely.
pretty soon? You mean like Jan. 1 in the playoff.
This is fun, isn't it.

PigTimePlayer

It still seems unlikely that Jim Harbaugh would turn down the Raiders, Jets, and who knows what other NFL job in order to go back to college. But maybe he has just decided he likes the college game and the alma mater factor is something I don't think anybody knows the value of to him. since Michigan has apparently made the $$$ factor a non-issue, he may very well take it. Michigan seems to have banked everything on him, probably don't even have a plan B.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

onebadrubi

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 27, 2014, 09:12:46 pm
Unbelievable.

Don't give them more credit than they've earned.  Ohio st got beat by Virginia tech, keep that in mind.  Their next best win was to beat MIch St, who actually didn't beat anyone know the season is over. 

They will hand each other at least one loss each year.  Urban may not like pressure either, refer back to florida, and move on.  And you have pen state laying in the wake waiting to ruin someone's season each year. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on December 27, 2014, 09:18:46 pm
It still seems unlikely that Jim Harbaugh would turn down the Raiders, Jets, and who knows what other NFL job in order to go back to college. But maybe he has just decided he likes the college game and the alma mater factor is something I don't think anybody knows the value of to him. since Michigan has apparently made the $$$ factor a non-issue, he may very well take it. Michigan seems to have banked everything on him, probably don't even have a plan B.

He won't accept the mich job before those jobs have time to open up and representatives reach out. 

Boarcephus

"Jim has figured out that his style is best suited for the college game. His shtick works better with young guys who are gone after three or four years."

I think this sums up the way Saban and Spurrier both feel.  That professional gig is a totally different animal from the collegiate one.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 27, 2014, 09:23:44 pm
"Jim has figured out that his style is best suited for the college game. His shtick works better with young guys who are gone after three or four years."

I think this sums up the way Saban and Spurrier both feel.  That professional gig is a totally different animal from the collegiate one.

The difference being that Harbaugh KICKS ASS in the NFL.

Torqued pork

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

secfan30